50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

9/2/1970. My first night match in memory. My dad told me that he took me to watch Spain v Switzerland World Cup match at S6 in 1966. I think the match was played in the evening as it was played on Friday. I have no recollection of the World Cup match as I was only 4 years old. Now back to the Monday night fixture between the Blades and Swindon at BDTBL... I remember my dad pointing out Don Rogers' name on the back of the match programme and telling me that he is a really good player. I think he explained to me that Don scored 2 goals in Swindon's 3-1 win against Arsenal in the previous season's League Cup final. I dont think I was really aware that there is another domestic cup competition.

The only goal I could remember that night in the 2-1 defeat was Len Badger's equaliser at the Lane End. I am sure his shot caused a hole in the side netting and there was a delay in restarting the match as the ground staff repaired the netting

20200209_000423.jpg

9/2/1970. My first night match in memory. My dad told me that he took me to watch Spain v Switzerland World Cup match at S6 in 1966. I think the match was played in the evening as it was played on Friday. I have no recollection of the World Cup match as I was only 4 years old. Now back to the Monday night fixture between the Blades and Swindon at BDTBL... I remember my dad pointing out Don Rogers' name on the back of the match programme and telling me that he is a really good player. I think he explained to me that Don scored 2 goals in Swindon's 3-1 win against Arsenal in the previous season's League Cup final. I dont think I was really aware that there is another domestic cup competition.

The only goal I could remember that night in the 2-1 defeat was Len Badger's equaliser at the Lane End. I am sure his shot caused a hole in the side netting and there was a delay in restarting the match as the ground staff repaired the netting

View attachment 71050

None would get into the team today

14/2/70

Football caught its worst cold of the winter yesterday. Thirty three English and Scottish matches were forced off including the Middlesbrough v Blades and Wendy v Man City (became one of the most talked about football matches in Sheffield history when it was played 2 months later!) matches. On YTV in the next day highlights of Spurs v L**ds were shown (see photo below)

1581671686582.png

14/2/70

Football caught its worst cold of the winter yesterday. Thirty three English and Scottish matches were forced off including the Middlesbrough v Blades and Wendy v Man City (became one of the most talked about football matches in Sheffield history when it was played 2 months later!) matches. On YTV in the next day highlights of Spurs v L**ds were shown (see photo below)

View attachment 71509
I reckon that’s Perryman, Lorimer, ? (Naylor?) and Mullery. Plus a proper football!

21/2/1970

Was supposed to play a home league game against QPR but QPR had a FA Cup 6th round match against Chelsea.

25/2/1970

Blades 2 (Colquhoun, Reece) QPR 0

My second midweek match. Sat in the John Street that evening instead of BLUT (Cant remember why). Some of the QPR players were tanned (Clement, Venables, Hazell, Leach and Bridges) making their blue and white hooped shirts and white shorts look very bright in the floodlights, both goals in the first half were headers from Woodward's corners. Below are what the Morning Telegraph described of the goals.

The first corner was a marvel of inswinging accuracy, placed to the near post where Colquhoun headed in while the Rangers defence stared in disbelief.

The second corner by Woodward was floated high to the middle, where Reece rose like a dove to head a goal which had the Lane's biggest crowd of the season singing joyfully.

1582506007130.png

24 February 1970 - my first ever Blades game fifty years ago today.

I was nine years old at the time and grateful thanks are due to my late Uncle Dennis who took me to the Lane for my first taste of Sheffield United.

Stood on the John Street terrace, even at such a young age I thought that this was "a bit of alright" and fifty years on, as a season ticket holder on the Kop, I now have the same thoughts during every game.

What a journey it's been. Despite breaking my heart on numerous occasions yet sending me stratospheric several times over the years, I'll absolutely love this football club until my dying day.

View attachment 72312

I was nine years old at the time and grateful thanks are due to my late Uncle Dennis who took me to the Lane for my first taste of Sheffield United.

Stood on the John Street terrace, even at such a young age I thought that this was "a bit of alright" and fifty years on, as a season ticket holder on the Kop, I now have the same thoughts during every game.

What a journey it's been. Despite breaking my heart on numerous occasions yet sending me stratospheric several times over the years, I'll absolutely love this football club until my dying day.

25 years ago today I watched Chesterfield beat Wrexham 2-0. Wrexham's keeper was Dave Gaskell who played for Man U in the 1960s

25/2/1970

My second midweek match. Sat in the John Street that evening instead of BLUT (Cant remember why). Some of the QPR players were tanned (Clement, Venables, Hazell, Leach and Bridges) making their blue and white hooped shirts and white shorts look very bright in the floodlights, both goals in the first half were headers from Woodward's corners. Below are what the Morning Telegraph described of the goals.

The first corner was a marvel of inswinging accuracy, placed to the near post where Colquhoun headed in while the Rangers defence stared in disbelief.

The second corner by Woodward was floated high to the middle, where Reece rose like a dove to head a goal which had the Lane's biggest crowd of the season singing joyfully.

They also had Vic Mobley playing for them. Injured and didn't appear for the second half.

We were 2nd in the table after the game - 7 points behind Huddersfield who won at home to Oxford 1-0. QPR were 4th.

It was Gil Reece's 13 goal of the season, 12th in the league.

What we could do with a corner taker like Woody today.

England beat Belgium (away) 3-1 the following night. In preparation for the World Cup in Mexico. We were all unaware of the superb Brazilian team at this point.

View attachment 72312

Great night. 2-0 win on my birthday and a Reece header. Doesn’t get better

28/2/1970

My dad took me to watch Wendy beat Burnley 2-0. Burnley born Jack Whitham scored both goals (see photo below)

I was sat in the South Stand and early in the game many heads turned right towards the electronic scoreboard at the Kop and it revealed that Blackburn had scored an early goal against the Blades :(. Nearly half hour later there was another score alert from the scoreboard, Woodward had equalised :). 15 minutes after half time, another score alert revealed that Currie had scored to give us the lead :D

On getting the Green Un that evening I looked at a small column which revealed the games going to be shown on MOTD that night (also on YTV in the next day). Blackburn v Blades being one of the two matches to be shown on MOTD !! At that time my bed times were between 9pm and 10pm, so my dad and I persuaded my mum to let me watch MOTD and she said yes!! :D:D. MOTD highlights of the match can be seen from 53 mins 30 seconds in below video. It is a surprise that both teams played scrappy football (pitch wasnt good as we had poor weather for a few weeks) and even TC (playing more of a forward role then) struggled to make the ball stick to his feet.

1582879967841.png

25/2/1970

I also went to my first ever Utd game in 1970, sadly I’ve no recollection who it was against?
But I do remember seeing us playing against QPR who still had Rodney Marsh in their team, but not sure if that would have been in 1970 or later? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I also went to my first ever Utd game in 1970, sadly I’ve no recollection who it was against?
But I do remember seeing us playing against QPR who still had Rodney Marsh in their team, but not sure if that would have been in 1970 or later? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Either Tuesday night 24/2 (won 2-0) or Saturday 14/11 (drew 1-1) . Marsh left QPR for Man City in March 1972

Cheers Silent, I knew you’d know. It must have been November, it wasn’t a night match, we lived over an hour away, school night and all that 🙄
We kept BST between 1968 and 1971 and it wasnt dark at the end of the QPR game on 14/11

28/2/1970

My dad took me to watch Wendy beat Burnley 2-0. Burnley born Jack Whitham scored both goals (see photo below)

I was sat in the South Stand and early in the game many heads turned right towards the electronic scoreboard at the Kop and it revealed that Blackburn had scored an early goal against the Blades :(. Nearly half hour later there was another score alert from the scoreboard, Woodward had equalised :). 15 minutes after half time, another score alert revealed that Currie had scored to give us the lead :D

On getting the Green Un that evening I looked at a small column which revealed the games going to be shown on MOTD that night (also on YTV in the next day). Blackburn v Blades being one of the two matches to be shown on MOTD !! At that time my bed times were between 9pm and 10pm, so my dad and I persuaded my mum to let me watch MOTD and she said yes!! :D:D. MOTD highlights of the match can be seen from 53 mins 30 seconds in below video. It is a surprise that both teams played scrappy football (pitch wasnt good as we had poor weather for a few weeks) and even TC (playing more of a forward role then) struggled to make the ball stick to his feet.

View attachment 72564

Jack Whitham had the pub across from my school at Wisewood and I used to do the early shift for him; I was a big lad and he didn’t realise I was only 15 or so at the time. He was a good bloke and looked after me. Always happy to chat about footy and showed me some of his stuff from his Liverpool days...I think he scored a hat trick on his debut for them?
His wife was an attractive blonde and my teenage self was quite smitten...I think she had a starring role in a few of my fantasies at the time! In reality whenever she spoke to me I turned a deep crimson 😁

Jack Whitham had the pub across from my school at Wisewood and I used to do the early shift for him; I was a big lad and he didn’t realise I was only 15 or so at the time. He was a good bloke and looked after me. Always happy to chat about footy and showed me some of his stuff from his Liverpool days...I think he scored a hat trick on his debut for them?
His wife was an attractive blonde and my teenage self was quite smitten...I think she had a starring role in a few of my fantasies at the time! In reality whenever she spoke to me I turned a deep crimson 😁
Not his debut

Jack Whitham was also a decent guitarist. As you say, a very nice bloke.

7/3/1970

A lot of snow in mainland Britain in the past few days. I remember looking at the fixture column on the back page of the Daily Express that morning and it read Aston Villa v Sheffield United P-P. The decision to postpone the match would have been made on the Friday. In the afternoon my dad was listening to updates of the League Cup final between Man City and West Brom from Grandstand on BBC. You can see in the below video that the groundstaff at Wembley had been busy in clearing the snow away from the pitch.

13/3/1970

I had been off school in the past few days due to being ill (think it was flu). I remember being in bed on the Friday night after 10pm getting ready to sleep. I thought my dad had gone out to the "boozer" for the evening and then I saw him come up the stairs to my bedroom to tell me that he had just come back from seeing the Blades beat Carlisle 1-0. I was confused as I hadnt realised that we were playing that evening. My dad explained that we were playing on the Friday night to avoid clashing with the FA Cup semi final match between Man U and L**ds being played at S6 in the next day also the reason why he hadnt told me about the match at the Lane was that I had just recovered from an illness and he thought it wouldnt be wise for me to go to the match when I hadnt fully recovered. He was telling me that Woodward had scored the goal powering home from a short free kick (by Barlow) to the roof of the net. The win had put us in a good position to get the two automatic places for promotion. The 2nd division table was as below

1. Huddersfield played 34 , 47 points
2. Blades 34, 43
3. Cardiff 33, 40
4. QPR 34, 40
5. Blackpool 32, 40
6. Swindon 32, 39
7. Middlesbrough 33, 39
8. Blackburn 33, 38
9. Leicester 33, 37

Our remaining games were Boro (a) , Leicester (a), Bolton (h), Blackpool (a), Millwall (h), Bristol C (a), Aston Villa (a), Oxford (h) and my dad was confident about us finishing in the top 2.20200313_170037.jpg

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.
Bob Latchford and Also Trevor Hockey played for Brum around that time didn’t they Silent ?

Bob Latchford and Also Trevor Hockey played for Brum around that time didn’t they Silent ?
Yes they played for Brum that season but not sure if both played in the 6-0 game. Looking at the league appearances they played that season, Hockey played in 41 games and Latchford 10 games. It is highly likely that Hockey played in the match.

The report by Peter Howard in the Sheffield Star the next day said that the fans were getting frustrated with the way we were playing in that game against Carlisle.

Frank Barlow was described as the current 'whipping boy'.

The report concludes 'the value of these particular points is priceless just now'.

We'll see if these points were priceless over the next few weeks, as Silent says there are 8 to play.

(Trevor Hockey played in the 6-0 match. Latchford didn't. Tony Hateley played up front but was withdrawn)

13/3/1970

I had been off school in the past few days due to being ill (think it was flu). I remember being in bed on the Friday night after 10pm getting ready to sleep. I thought my dad had gone out to the "boozer" for the evening and then I saw him come up the stairs to my bedroom to tell me that he had just come back from seeing the Blades beat Carlisle 1-0. I was confused as I hadnt realised that we were playing that evening. My dad explained that we were playing on the Friday night to avoid clashing with the FA Cup semi final match between Man U and L**ds being played at S6 in the next day also the reason why he hadnt told me about the match at the Lane was that I had just recovered from an illness and he thought it wouldnt be wise for me to go to the match when I hadnt fully recovered. He was telling me that Woodward had scored the goal powering home from a short free kick (by Barlow) to the roof of the net. The win had put us in a good position to get the two automatic places for promotion. The 2nd division table was as below

1. Huddersfield played 34 , 47 points
2. Blades 34, 43
3. Cardiff 33, 40
4. QPR 34, 40
5. Blackpool 32, 40
6. Swindon 32, 39
7. Middlesbrough 33, 39
8. Blackburn 33, 38
9. Leicester 33, 37

Our remaining games were Boro (a) , Leicester (a), Bolton (h), Blackpool (a), Millwall (h), Bristol C (a), Aston Villa (a), Oxford (h) and my dad was confident about us finishing in the top 2.View attachment 73701
Incredible mate! I was also ill and off school (aged 13) and missed that Friday night match
I do however remember my brother- a wednesday fan- who for some reason went to that game coming into my bedroom to tell me Woody had scored in a 1-0 win.

14/3/1970

FA Cup semi final day. L**ds and Man U draw 0-0 at S6. Highlights of the match on MOTD that evening. Dont think I watched it.

1584205021348.png

Chelsea beat Watford 5-1 at White Hart Lane. Highlights of the match on YTV in the next day and I watched it at a friend's house.

Yes they played for Brum that season but not sure if both played in the 6-0 game. Looking at the league appearances they played that season, Hockey played in 41 games and Latchford 10 games. It is highly likely that Hockey played in the match.
I remember going to Rotherham to watch Brum that season and Hockey played right wing. Latchford was a bit like Batistuta the Argie centre forward.

The report by Peter Howard in the Sheffield Star the next day said that the fans were getting frustrated with the way we were playing in that game against Carlisle.

Frank Barlow was described as the current 'whipping boy'.

The report concludes 'the value of these particular points is priceless just now'.

We'll see if these points were priceless over the next few weeks, as Silent says there are 8 to play.

(Trevor Hockey played in the 6-0 match. Latchford didn't. Tony Hateley played up front but was withdrawn)
What about Bob Hatton!! Did he play?

Back
Top Bottom