50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.
View from Roys dad: Worst game they played all season, United very physical and played hoof ball, Not one Blades player would get into their team, Fans were kidney punching women and children and always preferred Wednesday

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.
Meanwhile almost a quarter of a century later, I was on a company training course in London and having a evening pint or two with my fellow course mates in the hotel. No smart phones or goal Apps back then so I rang the missis about ten to see how we’d got on against Spurs at the Lane and she told me that we’d won 6-0. I announced it loudly to the mostly southern based group some of who were Spurs fans and basically they all thought that I was taking the piss till one of them confirmed the score.

That pint or two became a pint or six. I was gutted that I’d missed the game but really enjoyed the unexpected celebration deep into enemy territory...as did the Gooner fans.

50 years ago today we lost 2-1 at Huddersfield (who finished as 2nd division champions that season). Reece scored for us. I dont recall being aware of the match as I would have been busy playing Scalextric which was my main Xmas present.

50 years ago we drew 1-1 at home to Watford. Colin Addison scored for us. Yes we played two games in 26 hours! Don't remember being aware of the fixture that day.

50 years ago we drew 1-1 at home to Watford. Colin Addison scored for us. Yes we played two games in 26 hours! Don't remember being aware of the fixture that day.

Playing for Watford - Scullion, Garbett and Eddy. Mike Walker in goal. Keith Walker (no relation) was the ref. Attendance 21992.

From one of the Sunday's - 'For every testing save veteran Hodgkinson had to make the Watford goal needed 20 narrow escapes'.

50 years to the day - nothing changes.

Second in the table.

50 years ago today we lost 2-1 at Huddersfield (who finished as 2nd division champions that season). Reece scored for us. I dont recall being aware of the match as I would have been busy playing Scalextric which was my main Xmas present.

ON December 23rd it was reported that 'flu' had hit Sheffield United. Hodgy, Barlow, Salmons, Woody and TC missed training. Flynn and Heaton out injured. Huddersfield game in danger of being called off.

ON December 23rd it was reported that 'flu' had hit Sheffield United. Hodgy, Barlow, Salmons, Woody and TC missed training. Flynn and Heaton out injured. Huddersfield game in danger of being called off.
Heaton was dropped from the team at beginning of November. Right midfielder Ted Hemsley took his place and then became our regular LB for next 5 and half years.

Heaton was dropped from the team at beginning of November. Right midfielder Ted Hemsley took his place and then became our regular LB for next 5 and half years.

Dropped Heaton and Tudor on November 1st for game against Blackburn. Salmons and Hemsley come in. Win 4-0.

Signed Ted from Shrewsbury as right half (right hand side midfielder in today's money). Never really impressed. Moved to LB and made the place his own.

Somebody nicked Bert's scarf that day.
May Huddersfield rot in hell.

50 years ago today I was aware that we were playing against Everton at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Dont think my dad went to the match. I was half watching the Grandstand programme on BBC tv and there was a Rugby match on. According to the Genome Radio Times 1923-2009 Website, the listing that day was

Third round of the Grandstand Trophy (organised by Southend and District MCC and the ACU). Commentator at Hadleigh MURRAY WALKER
TV presentation by RICHARD TILLING
3.25*
Rugby League Leeds v Hull
Commentator at Headingley EDDIE WARING
TV presentation by BOB DUNCAN
4.50*
Results Service
Times are subject to alteration in order to keep up to date with events. Latest news, football scores, and racing results are given throughout the afternoon, and the Teleprinter service is at 4.40*
Grandstand presented by BRIAN VENNER Edited by ALAN HART

Blades won 2-1 and I was aware of the final score (probably found it out from the results service rather than the teleprinter service).

Alan Ball opened the scoring with a penalty (Hodgy brought down Johnny Morrissey who had pounced on a poor backpass from Badger) in the 1st half

1578081767002.png

Gil Reece's equaliser

Reece.jpg

Addison's winner

Addo.jpg

Match report in link below

As a child, I was sure that SUT was part of the football club.

Mind you, brought up as I was on the edge of the Fens, I also asked my Dad to take me to see United away at Bury in the League Cup in 1962 as it was only up the road. At the age of 10, I was convinced that the small agricultural village was the home of The Shakers, unaware as I was of Lancashire mill towns. Sadly, they don’t have a home of any sort now, but at least they won that game 3-1.
50 years ago today I was aware that we were playing against Everton at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Dont think my dad went to the match. I was half watching the Grandstand programme on BBC tv and there was a Rugby match on. According to the Genome Radio Times 1923-2009 Website, the listing that day was

Third round of the Grandstand Trophy (organised by Southend and District MCC and the ACU). Commentator at Hadleigh MURRAY WALKER
3.25*
4.50*
Results Service
Times are subject to alteration in order to keep up to date with events. Latest news, football scores, and racing results are given throughout the afternoon, and the Teleprinter service is at 4.40*

Blades won 2-1 and I was aware of the final score (probably found it out from the results service rather than the teleprinter service).

Alan Ball opened the scoring with a penalty (Hodgy brought down Johnny Morrissey who had pounced on a poor backpass from Badger) in the 1st half

View attachment 67865

Gil Reece's equaliser

View attachment 67866

Addison's winner

View attachment 67867

Last night I thought about this thread and was hoping to post about our first game of the decade against one of the Merseyside giants and despite being a goal down at half time we came back to win 2-1.

This was to be the start of a superb 5 years.

Let's hope the last part will come to fruition for this decade.

Today marks my 50 years as a committed Blade!

For the first time I was looking forward to watching the "Soccer" programme on YTV (usually aired between 2.15pm to 3.15pm every Sunday) on the black and white tv set. My dad told me that Blades v Everton would be the main match and we watched it together even though I didnt really know the names of our players. I can recollect seeing our goals and the players celebrating but not anything else (saw in a match report years later that three of our efforts in the first half had hit the woodwork). After the match the programme presenter, Keith Macklin, interviewed Colin Addison and Alan Hodgkinson. After the programme I was with a ball at the back of the settee (the imaginary goal) and replaying the match. From that day I started learning the names of our players (Colin Addison was my first favourite), looking at the league tables in the papers and discovering which division the teams are in. We were near the top of the 2nd division table and Wendy were at the bottom of the 1st division. In the next day I started to discover which teams the older pupils in my school support (I was the first in my class to fall in love with football). In the next few weeks the below photo was up on my bedroom wall. My dad could see that I would be "ready" to watch every home game.

1578135482689.png

I was shitting in my nappies & been a general pain in the arse .... not much changed really !

3.25*
4.50*
Results Service

View attachment 67865

Gil Reece's equaliser

View attachment 67866

Addison's winner

View attachment 67867

Wow - similar timelines. That was the day I knew that I was a Blade. I'd been going to home games for a while and really loved it down the Lane. I'd seen 'them lot' a few times and the atmosphere was, well, dire. And stuck up.

Being relatively new to the city as a young lad, it was made perfectly clear to me that I had to support one or t'other team. Every time I was asked in the school playground which team I supported, I had a habit of saying the wrong team and getting a thump for my apparent error. Welcome to Sheffield!

As I enjoyed it down the Lane far more I realised that there was only 1 team to support.

My new best mate's dad decided that I really had to be shown what a 'real team' was like, and got dragged to Hillsborough to see them play West Brom in the cup. That was some West Brom team and how they lost was a travesty. However, the half-time scores came up - the loudest cheer of the day came when it was Blades 0 Everton 1. My heart sank. The teasing I got from the adults around me all but made my mind up.

When the full time scores came up - Blades 2 Everton 1 - I just lept up, arms aloft, with a massive 'YESSSS - I told you I was at the wrong game!" Perhaps not the best thing to do at the time, but there again, why not? It was from the heart. My mates dad told me to keep quiet - would I? Not on your life! Grinning from ear to ear, warmth in my heart I knew that I truly was a Blade and never, ever would I set foot in the temple of doom again. And I still haven't.

That was the day that I became emotional about the Blades - which carries on the current day.

To be fair to my kids, as we live away, I've let them make their own minds up. They're Blades too. There truly is something about Bramall Lane and the Blades.

50 years ... bloody hell. How did that happen?

I had an old fashioned (nowadays) reel to reel tape recorder.

I recorded the TV highlights Keith Macklin commentary. It wasn't a radio commentary so there were gaps in the dialogue but at night for about a week I went to sleep listening to that match over and over. In particular the goals.

Coming home from school on 5/1/70, I saw a note on the dining table which didnt really make sense to me and my mum had explained that my dad had written down the FA Cup 4th round draw (he would have come home from work for lunch and wrote down the draw for me before returning to work). I remember seeing P.N.E. or Derby v Sheffield United. I hadnt had a clue who P.N.E. were!

10/1/1970. Cardiff 3 Blades 0. I found out the score when my dad bought a Green Un (I think either from a newspaper seller, a pub or a shop in Stephenson Place, Chesterfield) and I was waiting in the car. When my dad brought the Green Un in the car I learned that we got hammered at Cardiff :(

20200110_100307.jpg

17/1/1970 Blades 2 (Reeve, Addison) Preston 0

My first match as a committed Blade! My dad did take me to a few games before that. He said my first ever game was against Blackpool and that was before he took me to watch Spain v Switzerland World Cup match at S6 in 1966 but I have no recollection of both matches. I have a vague memory of being in the BLUT cheering our goal that was scored at the Lane End and a bald player (must have been Bill Punton) running over to congratulate the scorer but I dont know who the opponents were. The first time we scored at the Lane when Bill was playing was against Burnley on 17/12/66 but I doubt my dad took me to the Lane in the winter months so the match must have been in 1967, his only home game in the 1967/68 season was the 2-4 defeat against Arsenal so I think the game might have been the Arsenal one or against Southampton on 25/2/67. I remember going to the Norwich and Cardiff games in Sept 1969.

Back to the Preston game. We missed the kick off (my dad was always late in getting ready for matches as he usually insisted on watching the races on ITV) and got into the BLUT. I remember seeing Alan Kelly snr in goal for Preston and noticed his warming up routines near the edge of the box when the ball was at the other end. A lot of fans in the stand were moaning and criticising the team when we missed a chance which surprised me and I couldnt help looking at an elderly man with flat cap and glasses near me as he kept shouting "Rubbish! Rubbish!" . Late in the game we eventually scored but I do not remember what the goal was like nor being aware of who was the scorer (Reece). Soon after that, my dad decided that we should leave for home and missing the final minutes of the match. As we had just were about to exit the stand, my dad heard another roar and then asked a steward if we had scored again and he confirmed that we had. The photo below is the goal that I had missed

20200116_215501.jpg

24/1/70.

My dad took me to watch Chesterfield v Lincoln. The kick off was probably 3.15pm (in those days Chesterfield and Bury had 3.15pm kick off for home games on Saturdays). We were late again for the kick off probably because my dad again wanted to watch racing on tv. Chesterfield won 4-0 but I do not remember the goals at all. I remember during half time my dad pointed out to the scoreboard in the Cross Street end and he was excited to find out the half time score for the Blades FA Cup match at Derby. He then got disappointed when it was revealed that we were losing 2-0. In the end, we lost 3-0 and our FA Cup dream was over (see from 43 mins 57 secs in below video). When we got home we discovered that 1st division Wendy had lost 2-1 at home to 4th division Scunthorpe and that cheered my dad up! I remember watching the highlights of Derby v Blades match on YTV at my grandmother's house in the next day.

31/1/1970

My dad took me to see Wendy play Ipswich in the 1st division. After parking the car, my dad and I walked down to the bottom of Herries Road and we saw my Wendy supporting Uncle Pete at the back of the Kop waving at us. Before the game my dad pointed out Mick Hill who was playing for Ipswich and explained that he was our player until "a few months ago". Sitting in the South Stand there was a bit of commotion as most eyes looked at the electric scoreboard in the Kop showing goal alerts of the Blades match at Hull. My dad and I felt low seeing that we were losing 2-0 before Addison pulled a goal back not long before half time. Wilf Smith and Jackie Sinclair scored to give Wendy 2-0 lead. Mick Hill then pulled a goal back for Ipswich. Then all eyes were on the electric scoreboard alerting us that Addison had scored again to make it 2-2 and not long after my dad and I were delighted when the alerts came on again when Colquhoun scored the winner. Back to the football pitch, Mick Mills hit Ipswich's late equaliser. In the next day highlights of both matches at S6 and Boothferry Park were shown on YTV

1580429115075.png

31/1/1970

My dad took me to see Wendy play Ipswich in the 1st division. After parking the car, my dad and I walked down to the bottom of Herries Road and we saw my Wendy supporting Uncle Pete at the back of the Kop waving at us. Before the game my dad pointed out Mick Hill who was playing for Ipswich and explained that he was our player until "a few months ago". Sitting in the South Stand there was a bit of commotion as most eyes looked at the electric scoreboard in the Kop showing goal alerts of the Blades match at Hull. My dad and I felt low seeing that we were losing 2-0 before Addison pulled a goal back not long before half time. Wilf Smith and Jackie Sinclair scored to give Wendy 2-0 lead. Mick Hill then pulled a goal back for Ipswich. Then all eyes were on the electric scoreboard alerting us that Addison had scored again to make it 2-2 and not long after my dad and I were delighted when the alerts came on again when Colquhoun scored the winner. Back to the football pitch, Mick Mills hit Ipswich's late equaliser. In the next day highlights of both matches at S6 and Boothferry Park were shown on YTV

View attachment 70073

Great stuff Silent. It was also a very good day for Bert as the youthful version of him was at that Hull game.

Didn't realise they did back flicks to score in those days. Addison was my favourite player at the time. A touch of class.

Must have been before defensive coaches were invented. The marking at corners by both teams was non-existent. Our right-winger looked promising, mind.

7/2/1970

Blades were supposed to play at home to Swindon but the fixture got put back by two days because Swindon were playing against Scunthorpe in the FA Cup 5th round.

I remember looking at the final scores in the Green Un that day and seeing "Northampton 2 Man U 8". George Best scored 6 goals in that match and he then became my favourite non Blades player. I watched the highlights of the match on YTV in the next day at my grandmother's

7/2/1970

Blades were supposed to play at home to Swindon but the fixture got put back by two days because Swindon were playing against Scunthorpe in the FA Cup 5th round.

I remember looking at the final scores in the Green Un that day and seeing "Northampton 2 Man U 8". George Best scored 6 goals in that match and he then became my favourite non Blades player. I watched the highlights of the match on YTV in the next day at my grandmother's

I think Best had just come back from a long suspension.

I think Best had just come back from a long suspension.
yes, he had been missing for the previous month after being banned by the FA for kicking the ball out of the referee’s hands following a Manchester derby defeat at Maine Road

Back
Top Bottom