29 games left. We need an average 0.8 points per game.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The goal will be to get as many points as possible
No one at the football club will be adjusting that target based on a few games

If the chairman came out in the press and said well done Chris on getting to ninth spot but I expect nothing less now ,everyone would think he was fucking nuts and rightly so
If the chairman or owner said that then I probably wouldn’t pay too much attention.

If Wilder said that he’d challenged the players to go and better where we currently are, Id be fully behind that

Often it’s about the mindset of a club. I remember alluding to this on another post saying that if you aim high you might just fall short, aim low and that’s as high as you’ll ever achieve

win on saturday we can go 5th , which is a europa spot

have to finish 4th to avoid that shitty competition
the average to get 4th is 73 points 71 last season

so we need 60 points from 29 games

or 2 points a game , something weve made a habit of

Fans' expectations create pressure and if fans really do believe we can finish unrealistically high then the pressure to do so can transmit to the team on and off the pitch.

My O.P. was not intended to be either optimistic or pessimistic, rather factual and realistic.; encouraging in fact if any slight implication was intended.

0.8 points per game in the P.L. is still a big challenge for at least 10 teams including us.
Think Big Picture, forget the relegation dramatics, get a grip man

I don't go along with this "it's the Sheffield United way" I would guess 90%+ clubs fans say this all the time it's almost as if some fans want something to moan about so they can smugly say "I told you so, only the blades"

come on you have to admit:

relegated on final day of Prem Season - Hans Segers done for match fixing.

relegated final day of prem season - West Ham illegally field Tevez and Masscerhano

cheddar sent down for rape with 10 games of the league 1 season to go scuppering our automatic promotion hopes.

And that’s just three off the top of my head.

I can honestly see ‘Blades found in breach of UEFA rules signing Verrips - deducted 10 points’

or

‘Prince sells the crown Jewells’ with half the squad gone in Jan.

The 3rd bottom club relegated in the last 5 seasons had the following points: 34,33,34,37,35.

The average of those is 34.7, so if we need 35 points we now require 0.8 points per game. We are averaging 1.3 per game over the first 9.

Being cautious and saying that, us being United, we'll need 38 then the required average is 0.9 per game.

Watford need 1.24 points per game to get 38 points.
Sorry, that's the wrong mentality completely.
We're not here to tread water, keeping our heads above the drop-zone, were here to win the league.

relegated final day of prem season - West Ham illegally field Tevez and Masscerhano

cheddar sent down for rape with 10 games of the league 1 season to go scuppering our automatic promotion hopes.

I can honestly see ‘Blades found in breach of UEFA rules signing Verrips - deducted 10 points’

or

I agree Jan, we have definitely had our "why us" moments and you have listed some good ones but I still reckon 90%+ fans of other clubs say the same, often without good reason, I suspect Bury fans may have a strong argument though!

I fancy a good cup run this year , yes the priority is to stop up , but this team really could win the FA cup if it wanted too !
Do you get into Europe winning the FA cup ?

40 points achieved, by scoring at least 40 goals and conceding no more than 60. That should be the initial target.

I don’t know about where we sit in the list regarding teams, but I’d suggest that we sit in the bottom 3 for goal threat.

I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about the 40 point mark if it's viewed simply as our 'first' goal, ie 'let's get there as soon as possible so we can push on'

Indeed, I think Wilder has mentioned this in previous interviews, even in the Championship. How soon can we get to 50 points(survival), then to 70+(play offs), then to 80 (autos)

This way of thinking gives us a thirst to progress as much as possible, as soon as possible. So yeah, we should be aiming to get 40 points.. by February :D

The 3rd bottom club relegated in the last 5 seasons had the following points: 34,33,34,37,35.

The average of those is 34.7, so if we need 35 points we now require 0.8 points per game. We are averaging 1.3 per game over the first 9.

Being cautious and saying that, us being United, we'll need 38 then the required average is 0.9 per game.

It won't be of much use beating the 3rd bottom teams points tally as its not them we have to beat, its the 4th bottom. You'll need to lift those figures you've quoted by 3 points across the board for your argument to work with an average of 1.1 points per game as your cautious bottom line.

It won't be of much use beating the 3rd bottom teams points tally as its not them we have to beat, its the 4th bottom. You'll need to lift those figures you've quoted by 3 points across the board for your argument to work with an average of 1.1 points per game as your cautious bottom line.

Sorry I don't understand your logic@snooty.

I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about the 40 point mark if it's viewed simply as our 'first' goal, ie 'let's get there as soon as possible so we can push on'

Indeed, I think Wilder has mentioned this in previous interviews, even in the Championship. How soon can we get to 50 points(survival), then to 70+(play offs), then to 80 (autos)

This way of thinking gives us a thirst to progress as much as possible, as soon as possible. So yeah, we should be aiming to get 40 points.. by February :D
But everyone at every level of football does that
You try and win every game and then you see where that takes you

I think realistically we need another 7 wins , that's assuming we pick up a few draws , 36 points keeps us up based on our fixtures we could possibly be safe by beginning of March , I know that's optimistic in the extreme but achievable

What's honest and realistic about expecting to outperform established teams with squads and wage bills that dwarf ours ?
Some of those established PL teams lack a cohesive team structure and the Blades have a distinctive style of play that cannot easily be countered. CWAK will ensure that such established teams know they've been rumbled and now have to fight back.
Blades keep moving to more front foot football, growing in confidence and picking up points, even with limited possession.
While the likes of West Ham and Spurs might have looked at us as ripe for the picking, they will now be hoping we don't run away with all 3 points in both games.

Some of those established PL teams lack a cohesive team structure and the Blades have a distinctive style of play that cannot easily be countered. CWAK will ensure that such established teams know they've been rumbled and now have to fight back.
Blades keep moving to more front foot football, growing in confidence and picking up points, even with limited possession.
While the likes of West Ham and Spurs might have looked at us as ripe for the picking, they will now be hoping we don't run away with all 3 points in both games.
Exactly this. Start of season opposing fans looked at us as 3 points in the bag. Now supporters of the bigger teams see us as a 'banana skin' while lower placed teams are worried they will even grab a draw at home against us..

No one wants to face us, just the way it should be ;)

But everyone at every level of football does that
You try and win every game and then you see where that takes you
It's just different ways of looking at it.

Of course every team tries to win every game, but at the same time no manager would ever come out and say 'we're aiming for 114 points this year' as they'd sound ridiculous (well, maybe Pep..)

Each team will naturally have a certain expectation level based on previous years performance, investment, etc. Managers dont usually give specific points objectives, anyway, at least not in public, as that's not how it works. It's position that matters.

The point is that it's more beneficial to give yourself short term, mid term and long term goals, and then try to match those or exceed them as you go, hence survival first, then more if possible.
This ensures that you still go into each game aiming to win, as you say, but with the understanding that, as a newly promoted side, losing games is to be expected and so to put it into perspective when that happens, relative to those short, mid, and long term goals :)

Well you're looking at us equalling what the third from bottom club have achieved in previous seasons.

For us to survive we need to do better than that.

Now that view has some merit, but I used the average and topped that. As with any average it applies to around half the selections and 3/5 seasons in this case; thats why I quoted 38 points as well, to beat all five.

Still not sure what snootyfenooty was saying.

If anyone can go down with more than 40 points it will be us.

That said you get the feeling that times are a changing for SUFC.

All that talk about bad luck and curses yet as soon as we get a very good manager and staff, with good scouting, things seem to improve including our fortune.

Who'd have thunk it eh.

Don't forget someone coming in and throwing some money into it....

I fancy a good cup run this year , yes the priority is to stop up , but this team really could win the FA cup if it wanted too !
Do you get into Europe winning the FA cup ?

Europa League I think. I had a similar thought yesterday, while still in the afterglow of Monday’s win.

This team really has the potential to win something, not just to be a losing semi-finalist. Admittedly, the defeat to Sunderland in the League Cup doesn’t exactly support that view, although that was more down to Chris wanting to protect his first team squad.

It may not be this season, but if we can establish ourselves and field strong sides, we could make it to the FA Cup Final and I wouldn’t fear anybody. OK, perhaps City a bit......

I thought at the start of the season that a lower top half finish was an achievable target. (7-10th ish). We're on track for that.

How the rest of the division is shaping up means it's wide open from 2nd down. Within that, Leicester look good for top 4. I'm half expecting Spurs to find their rhythm at some point and Arsenal and Chelsea are the best bets for the remaining Europa League places.

Behind them there'll be a pack of 6 or 7 who josstle for position between the relegation scrap and the Europa places and I think we'll be amongst those.

The best scenario in my mind would be to be looking all but secure in the table by mid/late January, affording us a full tilt crack at The FA Cup.

Last edited:
Still not sure what @snootyfenooty was saying.

To help you understand a little better the bottom three go down and the fourth from bottom stays up. So its no use quoting a load of figures on what the third from bottom have achieved over the last six seasons and what we have to do to beat them, its the fourth from bottom which counts and the points required to stay up have to exceed theirs. You'll get it eventually, don't worry.

or

We still had to lose to go down under Bassett. We were winning with a few minutes to go. Nothing to do with Segers. We fucked it up.

Tevez was a bit unfortunate but it was still in our hands again. We fucked it up.

If we’d have taken the possibility of Evans getting sent down more seriously we could have dealt with it better.

in all three cases there was an element of complacency. I hope we remember that amongst the clamour for a top six finish after 9 games.

As long as we can keep above the points to game ratio we’ll be fine

We still had to lose to go down under Bassett. We were winning with a few minutes to go. Nothing to do with Segers. We fucked it up.

Tevez was a bit unfortunate but it was still in our hands again. We fucked it up.

If we’d have taken the possibility of Evans getting sent down more seriously we could have dealt with it better.

in all three cases there was an element of complacency. I hope we remember that amongst the clamour for a top six finish after 9 games.

Agreed... even with all that it was in our own hands .... but without all that we wouldn't have been in the situation anyway.... chicken and egg I suppose

Back
Top Bottom