2024/2025 Squad Planning

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I know this seems a very basic thing, but we need to play a style and have players who are comfortable retaining possession for longer.

We invite pressure by turning the ball over with ease and at the top level you simply don’t get it back so easily.

Simple as it may seem but the more you have of the ball, the less they do and in that way we’d alleviate the pressure on the defence. Look at the end of the Bournemouth game; it was like an attack vs defence exercise. We had no idea how to take the sting out of the game.

We can’t go down, go back up and then still be a team that gets rid like a hot potato.

That’s what was so good about Iliman. He was so hard to dispossess and could roam around with the ball without feeling pressed to get rid of it. McGoldrick was the same.

Although he could be a big player for us, Hamer turns over possession a lot. Perhaps he can get away with it is he is a Duffy 10 or a McGoldrick 10 in front of a three, but not in the middle. West Ham away a good example as to how giving the ball away cheaply by Hamer cost us a goal.

Need to be smarter. I’m hopeful Arblaster can do this and perhaps Davies too. That midfield looks a little lightweight but does look like it can take care of the ball.

All leads me to believe that Souza simply might not fit into next seasons team anyway, regardless of whether he wants to stay or not.

Ndiaye and MGW covered over the cracks that started in our second season when Wilder left. They wanted to get on the ball and were able to shield it. Last season Ndiaye was huge for us. Our midfielders weren't up to much and we didn't seem to have any discernable style of play.

I totally agree that we need to hold possession more. McGoldrick was great at that. Hamer in my view is better suited in the defensive midfield role possibly part of a double pivot. I think he is better facing the ball. Some of the balls he gave away were when he was facing his own goal and then trying to play a pass to the wings. His decision making is poor in that scenario. He is not PL quality but should be fine in the championship.

One thing that really bothers me is the lack of understanding between players on the pitch. We can't string passes together. We take wrong options and sometimes no one is making a run.

Bogle for me is a poor defender and limited attacking wise. He likes the ball to feet and likes small triangles and dribbles but over does it. I don't think he creates enough. We definitely need a few centrehalves. Egan was durable for years and was playing too many matches. Hopefully this injury is a one off. We definitely need strong characters to organise and lead the team.

I would be happy with giving Curtis Arblaster and Brooks game time as well as Osula and Jebbo if he stays. Hopefully with a new head of recruitment we can identify talent properly this time. Most of what we have bought have strengths but also glaring weaknesses in their games. The strengths need to provide options and balance to the team. The weaknesses have been ruthlessly exposed. Any body we bring in should be at least average in the weakest part of their game. So no more Traore, Lowe, Brewster McBurnie types etc

Norwood will get a new deal if he wants one ! Could be poached as he is an experienced player with a neck for winning promotion from championship (4). His lack of athletism leaves a big ? though.
One big thing in his favour is his fitness record! never injured always available.
What's his secret to staying fit! Maybe he could share it with his team mates and coaching ( fitness staff) our record is shocking! ,accepted he is slow ! that can't be the reason he is never injured.
He can't run with the ball and gets rid of it before a player comes near him .The only way he can get injured is tripping over his 33 year old feet as he backs up

i actually feel quite positive about next season we will ve back in a league that we can compete in i was a big wilder fan first time round but not convinced he was the right man to come back in but hes got another year so lets give the guy a chance im sure he already knows the players he wants to bring in this summer plus getting rid of some top earners not doing it and bringing 3/4 youngsters in to the squad i think we will be challenging for top 6 again the main ones that need to be moved on are anel mcburnie brewster souza larrouchi traore and norwood

i actually feel quite positive about next season we will ve back in a league that we can compete in i was a big wilder fan first time round but not convinced he was the right man to come back in but hes got another year so lets give the guy a chance im sure he already knows the players he wants to bring in this summer plus getting rid of some top earners not doing it and bringing 3/4 youngsters in to the squad i think we will be challenging for top 6 again the main ones that need to be moved on are anel mcburnie brewster souza larrouchi traore and norwood
Personally I’m just a little pessimistic about what we’ll end up with in terms of the forward line.

In defence I suspect we can raise money from Anel leaving as some have predicted.

This should bank an 8-figure sum.

There are quite a few options out there at the end of their deals which mean we could replace the headcount and have a decent surplus to fund the shortfall.

Off hand I see - Paddy McNair, Dunne, Kipre, Tuanzebe and the likes of Woolfendon and Wood who are likely to be just on one year extensions. You’d think we could secure one at least to replace Anel and have a combo of perhaps Curtis and Baldock replace Basham.

Left backs there are a few in Burrows with a year extension, Taylor, Giannolous, Bryan, Cresswell, Alioski (ex-Leeds)

So we can end up with a good top-end Championship defence.

Midfield I see we have plenty of options to craft a decent unit. Expectation is that Souza might not fancy life in the Championship and can bring in 10m perhaps. It still leaves Hamer in a 10 role and the likes of Brooks, Arblaster, Davies definitely in support, but then these could be supplemented by some combo of Norwood and/or Osborn and you still then have Slimane and Peck.

Again options at end of contract - Callum O’Hare, Josh Brownhill, Alan Browne, Herbie Kane, notwithstanding the fact this part of the team has been a happy hunting ground for Premier League loans.

If we lose McBurnie and Archer as well as Brereton-Diaz plus having Brewster with unreliable fitness it leaves almost uniquely youth.

I’m not seeing that many reliable sure fire freebies. Gallagher is handy but not prolific. Welbeck would be expensive in wages and probably won’t fancy dropping. Perhaps Chris Willock could be fashioned into an Ndiaye type role but in terms of centre forward I dont see too much there and it’s such an important role. Would we push the boat out and offer the wages for a Chris Wood? Would he drop? Could we go for Kroger Moore? Would he join? It’s all well and good evaluating the games Oli Mac misses but we do need a replacement and it’s a big ask for Osula or Jebbo to become the man to spearhead a promotion charge.

It’s a worry for me who gets the goals.

I'd try and sign Brereton full time, the wages for Wood are too much, Moore is just another Mcburnie type and Willock won't come. We need to be investing in young ,quick players, this is where our scouting system should come in looking at spotting lads like Whittaker or a bid for Langstaff at Notts Co etc

I'd try and sign Brereton full time, the wages for Wood are too much, Moore is just another Mcburnie type and Willock won't come. We need to be investing in young ,quick players, this is where our scouting system should come in looking at spotting lads like Whittaker or a bid for Langstaff at Notts Co etc
Just curious, why do you think Willock won’t come from relegation threatened QPR to parachute team Sheffield United?

Agree BBD would be a good signing. I just don’t see either him wanted to come back to the Championship or us stumping up the fee. He’d be more expensive than Wood given Wood is out of contract and BBD would command around 15m; I could well imagine BBD going somewhere like Leeds if they go up.

Just my two cents.

chris wood would be a great signing cant see forest keeping him if they stay in the premier league but of course wages could be an issue with him kiefer moore would be my 2nd choice as a target man and might be more realistic salary wise for me both are better than mcburnie think theres also a chance of getting archer back on loan if we could get brereton-diaz back that would be a bonus

Just curious, why do you think Willock won’t come from relegation threatened QPR to parachute team Sheffield United?

Agree BBD would be a good signing. I just don’t see either him wanted to come back to the Championship or us stumping up the fee. He’d be more expensive than Wood given Wood is out of contract and BBD would command around 15m; I could well imagine BBD going somewhere like Leeds if they go up.

Just my two cents.
Got my Willocks wrong mate, sorry🙄

With a fair few players leaving (basing this on players out of contract and players I expect will leave), I reckon we could go with something like this for recruitment.

GK - Depends on Grbic but wouldn't mind Johansson if we could get him, Wes and Davies to both leave, undecided on Amissah.

RWB/RB - Choose 1 of Bogle or Baldock and let the other go, hoping Baldock stays and if we do move Bogle on then we can get a bit of money as he is only 23. Curtis and Seriki ought to be decent backup for Baldock or Bogle.

CB - Anel leaves (should get a decent amount of money thanks to his contract length), Basham unfortunately goes, Egan new deal, Trusty and Robbo stay, maybe look at someone like Worrell or Mepham to replace Anel.

LWB/LB - Lowe and Larouci can go, RND depends on injury, not sure which player I would want to sign for this position, maybe see if Harry Boyes or Buyabu can step and try and compete for this spot.

CM - I reckon Souza will go, Norwood can go, I hope Hamer stays, Davies, Slimane and Osborn can stay, Arblaster and Brooks to hopefully compete for some midfield spots, wouldn't mind someone like Alan Browne or McNair but it depends on what we need in midfield, maybe try and get someone in the McAtee mould.

ST - Get Jebbison on new contract, Brewster can go, undecided on Mcburnie as it depends on his contract, if he goes i wouldn't mind someone like Kieffer Moore or maybe Hugill who i think could do a job for us if we can pick ourselves back up. Maybe a loan striker to bolster the attacking options as well, possibly BBD with a view of looking to make it permanent if we get promoted.

Personally I would send One, Marsh, Sachdev and Peck out on loan, probably send Seriki out on loan as well to get some game time, see if we can get all of them into League One.

Nine players (rising to ten or eleven) leaving permanently and six or seven coming in, it would trim the squad down a bit and give us a few options. It just depends on who stays and who leaves in the summer.

i think jilli buyabu could well step up next season in the championship him and rnd are our best 2 lwbs imo

After alot of thinking I've decided to keep maybe Baldock and Egan but the rest can go. Really don't want to see Mcburnie prance about with his socks half down, definitely sell Anel and change brewster from cheerleader to the refreshments stall.

With a fair few players leaving (basing this on players out of contract and players I expect will leave), I reckon we could go with something like this for recruitment.

GK - Depends on Grbic but wouldn't mind Johansson if we could get him, Wes and Davies to both leave, undecided on Amissah.

RWB/RB - Choose 1 of Bogle or Baldock and let the other go, hoping Baldock stays and if we do move Bogle on then we can get a bit of money as he is only 23. Curtis and Seriki ought to be decent backup for Baldock or Bogle.

CB - Anel leaves (should get a decent amount of money thanks to his contract length), Basham unfortunately goes, Egan new deal, Trusty and Robbo stay, maybe look at someone like Worrell or Mepham to replace Anel.

LWB/LB - Lowe and Larouci can go, RND depends on injury, not sure which player I would want to sign for this position, maybe see if Harry Boyes or Buyabu can step and try and compete for this spot.

CM - I reckon Souza will go, Norwood can go, I hope Hamer stays, Davies, Slimane and Osborn can stay, Arblaster and Brooks to hopefully compete for some midfield spots, wouldn't mind someone like Alan Browne or McNair but it depends on what we need in midfield, maybe try and get someone in the McAtee mould.

ST - Get Jebbison on new contract, Brewster can go, undecided on Mcburnie as it depends on his contract, if he goes i wouldn't mind someone like Kieffer Moore or maybe Hugill who i think could do a job for us if we can pick ourselves back up. Maybe a loan striker to bolster the attacking options as well, possibly BBD with a view of looking to make it permanent if we get promoted.

Personally I would send One, Marsh, Sachdev and Peck out on loan, probably send Seriki out on loan as well to get some game time, see if we can get all of them into League One.

Nine players (rising to ten or eleven) leaving permanently and six or seven coming in, it would trim the squad down a bit and give us a few options. It just depends on who stays and who leaves in the summer.
If midfield gets a little congested, I wonder if André Brooks could switch to left wing back?

Wayne Quinn had a similar trajectory.

Might kill two birds with one stone.

Ndiaye and MGW covered over the cracks that started in our second season when Wilder left. They wanted to get on the ball and were able to shield it. Last season Ndiaye was huge for us. Our midfielders weren't up to much and we didn't seem to have any discernable style of play.

I totally agree that we need to hold possession more. McGoldrick was great at that. Hamer in my view is better suited in the defensive midfield role possibly part of a double pivot. I think he is better facing the ball. Some of the balls he gave away were when he was facing his own goal and then trying to play a pass to the wings. His decision making is poor in that scenario. He is not PL quality but should be fine in the championship.

One thing that really bothers me is the lack of understanding between players on the pitch. We can't string passes together. We take wrong options and sometimes no one is making a run.

Bogle for me is a poor defender and limited attacking wise. He likes the ball to feet and likes small triangles and dribbles but over does it. I don't think he creates enough. We definitely need a few centrehalves. Egan was durable for years and was playing too many matches. Hopefully this injury is a one off. We definitely need strong characters to organise and lead the team.

I would be happy with giving Curtis Arblaster and Brooks game time as well as Osula and Jebbo if he stays. Hopefully with a new head of recruitment we can identify talent properly this time. Most of what we have bought have strengths but also glaring weaknesses in their games. The strengths need to provide options and balance to the team. The weaknesses have been ruthlessly exposed. Any body we bring in should be at least average in the weakest part of their game. So no more Traore, Lowe, Brewster McBurnie types etc
Agree
For me with parachute money I'd take yet another coventry player in ohare . I watch this lad alot and he's totally nydyia in everyway he plays
He opens teams up , beats players. Scores regular - such a fantastic young talent.
Mark Robins has done so well at Coventry he finds talent after talent and they play fast exciting attacking football.

Agree
For me with parachute money I'd take yet another coventry player in ohare . I watch this lad alot and he's totally nydyia in everyway he plays
He opens teams up , beats players. Scores regular - such a fantastic young talent.
Mark Robins has done so well at Coventry he finds talent after talent and they play fast exciting attacking football.
If we have modest funds he would be a decent player at the end of his contract.

Get him and you can play Hamer in more of a playmaking role. It then means you aren’t putting too much pressure on Brooks and Arblaster.

Get him and perhaps get McNair and then you can have some confidence your midfield is covered and defensively you can cope with Anel and Bash moving, especially as you can find room for the latter’s cover from Baldock and Curtis hopefully.

Perhaps some top loans then get used for the forwards.

It feels to some degree we kick the can down the road a little bit that’s what we are resigned to with limited investment.

Agree
I bet a ST at Coventry is cheap for you and closer pal

We really need to be very careful when signing "journey men" new players.

Some of the suggestions above would only sign for us if they were offered top dollar and 3 year contracts.

The question then arises are they good enough for the prem if we get promoted?

If they're not, then we have the issue of them taking a decent wage and blocking any real progress in the squad overhaul.

It seems a lot of fans on here want recruitment to concentrate on the forward positions when really its the defence that needs attention more than any other dept in the squad . Goals against coloume speaks volumes by picking out where our weakness is . When we had that terrific season and finished 9th it was our defence that got us there without having a dynamic forward line . Brian Clough always said when building a team the defence was his number one concern . I realise forwards add excitement and also yes we do need some attackers but I think defence is our weakest link .

Think we need to be ruthless in terms of who we re-sign in terms of injuries , we can’t carry the likes of McBurnie , Baldock etc who are missing more than they play more-so on a tighter budgets . My concern is with the owner still wanting out we’ll have massive clear out & back fill with loans , free transfers & kids . This is probably our most important summer in years in terms of potential turn arounds . Get it wrong and we could be in a lot of trouble .

Maybe try Bishop (Pompey) Read (Stevenage) Mason Clarke (Posh)

None of those are or ever will be close to being good enough. First two are both way too old and have never played at a higher level than they are right now, and if Clarke was ever going to make it then Coventry wouldn't be loaning him out at the age of 24. I'd rather start Marsh or One over any of these

With the proceeds from selling Souza & Ahmedhodzic.

I’d imagine those fees would largely plug the shortfall. I can’t see us being in the market for Brereton Diaz, level of fee (£5-£10m?) or wages. He’ll go to a newly promoted side I’d expect as he’s shown enough or if one of the teams decides to spend big to go straight back up (Forest, Burnley etc).

None of those are or ever will be close to being good enough. First two are both way too old and have never played at a higher level than they are right now, and if Clarke was ever going to make it then Coventry wouldn't be loaning him out at the age of 24. I'd rather start Marsh or One over any of these
You're wrong on Bishop, firstly way too old? He's 27. Secondly I'm not saying he's a world beater but he's one of those centre forwards who not only knows where the back of the net is but he makes all the right runs and has a strikers instinct of when to go near post and when to hold back. Reminds me a lot of King Billy.

He wouldn't come as Pompey are on a roll and they won't sell him but even if they do badly next season he will score double figures for them

You're wrong on Bishop, firstly way too old? He's 27

Yep, you are right, he is 27. If he was going to do something of note at a higher level, someone at a higher level would have bought him already. I like players like Paddy Madden as well, journeyman lower league strikers are fun to root for, I just don't want them at our club for what, at best, would be a stop gap measure who is at best serviceable at Championship level just blocking development of strikers who can actually make a difference at the level where we want to be.

Back
Top Bottom