2024/2025 Squad Planning

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In the premiership we couldn’t bring in players with pace and power and that’s been a key problem. Short-termism says we won’t bring pace in the championship let’s hope Osula comes of age but we need more pace across the pitch.

The aim for me is to clear out the crocks who cannot be relied upon and those who are over the hill. So, I’d be letting the following go:

Lowe - injury prone, not good enough.
A Davies - not good enough.
Wes - decent back up but I think he wants out.
Bash - legend but I fear he is finished
McBurnie- really like him and rate him but we can’t go on with our main centre forward playing only half a season.
Baldock - legend - but look at his injury record in the last few years. It’s time.
Norwood - has been a top performer but he looked past it last season let alone this season

Larouci - not good enough. End the loan.
Traore - sell if we can - not good enough.
Holgate - end his loan.

I’d bin off Brewster and Tom Davies if I could. Both are crocks but have another year so we are lumbered with them.

I’d offer Egan and Osborne new deals
I’d offer RND something- a one last chance sort of deal

I’m torn on Bogle - he’s another one with a patchy fitness record but can change a game especially in championship so I think I’d offer him something.
I’d try and keep Jebbo given his age but he seems a mardy kid so not sure he will sign.

Leaves a big rebuilding job given BBD, Archer, McAtee and Anel (sold) will have gone. But it’s at that point now.

Last edited:
The aim for me is to clear out the crocks who cannot be relied upon and those who are over the hill. So, I’d be letting the following go:

Lowe - injury prone, not good enough.
A Davies - not good enough.
Wes - decent back up but I think he wants out.8
Bash - legend but I fear he is finished
McBurnie- really like him and rate him but we can’t go on with our main centre forward playing only half a season.
Baldock - legend - but look at his injury record in the last few years. It’s time.
Norwood - has been a top performer but he looked past it last season let alone this season

Larouci - not good enough. End the loan.
Traore - sell if we can - not good enough.
Holgate - end his loan.

I’d bin off Brewster and Tom Davies if I could. Both are crocks but have another year so we are lumbered with them.

I’d offer Egan and Osborne new deals
I’d offer RND something- a one last chance sort of deal

I’m torn on Bogle - he’s another one with a patchy fitness record but can change a game especially in championship so I think I’d offer him something.
I’d try and keep Jebbo given his age but he seems a mardy kid so not sure he will sign.

Leaves a big rebuilding job given BBD, Archer, McAtee and Anel (sold) will have gone. But it’s at that point now.
Osula Goal Machine (NOT)Sell if possible even the championship too good for him,Jebboson Bad apple get shut,Bogle up there as 1 of the worst defenders I've seen in blades shirt and we've had our fair share

We don’t have an excuse of not knowing what division we’ll be in next season because that was set in stone from last August.

You’d like to think some planning has been going on and that we don’t toss August off waiting for loan players to come in next season.

I might be on the hopeful side though.

I bet a few people on here have changed their minds on some players future with us.

We don’t have an excuse of not knowing what division we’ll be in next season because that was set in stone from last August.

You’d like to think some planning has been going on and that we don’t toss August off waiting for loan players to come in next season.

I might be on the hopeful side though.

My concern is us losing a bunch of senior players without the capacity to replace. We’ve seen what a lack of experience can lead to this season, and it’s scary.

Everything points to McBurnie, Baldock, Fods and Egan not accepting reduced terms. Basham and Norwood being released. And us selling a couple of Anel, Hamer and Souza.

Our youngsters are as promising as I can remember, but the rebuild will be huge, the budget tiny, and the recruitment and management teams remain an unknown, not to mention the ownership.

In sum, yikes.

As much as I look forward to seeing what the like of Arblaster, Brooks, Peck, et al can do, I hope we can retain/recruit some motivated, experienced players to form a spine of the team. Sunderland are currently giving some early-warning about what happens when you rely solely on u23 players, 6 defeats in a row for them.

Planning? Our best two players from last season thought ‘fuck this shit I’m off’!
The moment Fulham got promoted Norwood got released, Osborn, Robinson got released from Forest. We was up shit creek without a paddle before a ball was kicked. Beginning of the season we was battling because football is a confidence sport, we had it it in bundle’s from the season before. Premier League kicked the shit out of us especially the Newcastle game, that was us dead and buried. Back 5 needs a clear out and I can’t see that happening in the summer. Mid table Championship with a double beating against the pigs because if they stay up they will have come from certain relegation to top half championship. Pissedoff.com

It's a bit of a warning sign that none of the players on loan are playing much at a lower than championship level too

It's a bit of a warning sign that none of the players on loan are playing much at a lower than championship level too
Seriki given a new contract and not even starting for quite possibly the worst championship team of all time.

Hope giving him a deal doesn’t mean we’re resigned to losing Baldock.

But now he is 2 years slower and will be absolutely depleted on confidence.
Norwood will get a new deal if he wants one ! Could be poached as he is an experienced player with a neck for winning promotion from championship (4). His lack of athletism leaves a big ? though.
One big thing in his favour is his fitness record! never injured always available.
What's his secret to staying fit! Maybe he could share it with his team mates and coaching ( fitness staff) our record is shocking! ,accepted he is slow ! that can't be the reason he is never injured.

We saw the headache with Hecky getting new players signed when we got promoted. Going down will be harder.

We saw the headache with Hecky getting new players signed when we got promoted. Going down will be harder.
Even in a well financed club mass turnover is always tricky and never easy. Look at clubs spending hundreds of millions like Chelsea finding it hard! I am genuinely worried about the summer and next season

Even in a well financed club mass turnover is always tricky and never easy. Look at clubs spending hundreds of millions like Chelsea finding it hard! I am genuinely worried about the summer and next season
I would say well we have to sit back and leave it to the head of recruitment….. but we don’t have one!

Huge turnover like the one we are planning to do is risky but with good planning we have a chance….

Edit: the only caveat is that we can remove alot of the poorer players or the damaged ones from this year etc.

Here’s my prediction … we will still be scratching around for players 4/5 games in to the season.

This despite knowing what division we will be in since Xmas time

No one out there better than what we have..

For my two penneth, no problem with sticking to a 3-5-2 if you've got the right players. Any system can work with players fit for the system and fully conversant with how it works. The Wilder team that got promoted to the Prem and then finished ninth, had players in their prime who fitted the system like a glove. It first started to go wrong when JOC got injured, it broke the system. I still believe this was the real cause of the downturn in fortunes, together with players just starting to go past their sell by date at that level, rather than teams 'sussing' us out.

As for next season, starting with the keeper. Still too early to give an opinion on Grbic, juries out. If Wes won't sign, then another keeper to compete with him. Don't rate Davies or Amissah. Viktor Johanneson?

Full backs/Wing backs, again who will re-sign? George good defensively but injury prone, Bogle good offensively but injury prone, Curtis? Hopefully, got the right physical qualities. Sachdev/Seriki unproven and not pulling up any trees out on loan. RND, massive question mark over fitness, but would be ok at his best. Lowe, injury prone and no thanks. Larrouci? Defensively innept at Prem level, but ok going forward. Could he be coached successfully into the role? Ozzy jack of all trades, worth a squad role at least. JLT, hard as nails, his original position. If Egan won't sign or is physically shot, we need a big shithouse of a no. 5 who can be a leader and organise the defence. Joe Worrall? Anel, clearly good enough at Championship level, if he's up for staying or if he's a sacrifice to raise money? Trusty, again seemingly out of his depth at Prem level, but was successful in the championship for Brum. Give him a shot. JLT ok again for this role. Could Curtis be a long term successor to Bash? Over 6ft and mobile? Time will tell.

Midfield three? Souza, if he stays, is sacrificed, has blown it with CW after alleged comments? Hamer, proven top quality at championship level, again if he stays or is sacrificed? Arblaster? Tremendous talent /prospect. The new holy trinity after Coutts/Norwood, Fleck, Duffy? Time will tell, Tom Davies, Andre Brooks, Sydie Peck? to chuck in the mix, plus any new signings.

Up front, more unclear due to contracts/injuries. Oli McB, must admit I like him, but injury prone and lacking pace and athleticism. A proven goal scorer at championship level, with a good first touch, leadership qualities and great defensive skills, especially at dead ball situations. Given greater possession stats in the championship, thinking if he re-signs, he could be the new Didzy at this level. The Billy Sharp goalscorer role? If you could guarantee Brewster was fully fit all the time, could he do the job? Not as natural a goal scorer as Billy but a better striker of the ball. Again, if fully fit, as when at Swansea, a proven scorer at this level. Jebbo(if he signs and is fit) and Osula, both still quite raw, but got the physicality and pace to be successful at this level, especially if counter attacking when possession is at a minimum. Hackford/Marsh/One/Blacker ones for the future possibly.

Assuming all other loans go back (Archer included) add in some new signings, loans/free transfers/purchases, I'm still hopeful we can be competitive if not ultimately successful at championship level.

Whether CW is the man for the job? Whether the Prince carries on/sells up/gets new investment? Time will tell.

Fingers crossed we'll be ok for the season ahead 🤞.

I'm looking forward to it.

For my two penneth, no problem with sticking to a 3-5-2 if you've got the right players. Any system can work with players fit for the system and fully conversant with how it works. The Wilder team that got promoted to the Prem and then finished ninth, had players in their prime who fitted the system like a glove. It first started to go wrong when JOC got injured, it broke the system. I still believe this was the real cause of the downturn in fortunes, together with players just starting to go past their sell by date at that level, rather than teams 'sussing' us out.

As for next season, starting with the keeper. Still too early to give an opinion on Grbic, juries out. If Wes won't sign, then another keeper to compete with him. Don't rate Davies or Amissah. Viktor Johanneson?

Full backs/Wing backs, again who will re-sign? George good defensively but injury prone, Bogle good offensively but injury prone, Curtis? Hopefully, got the right physical qualities. Sachdev/Seriki unproven and not pulling up any trees out on loan. RND, massive question mark over fitness, but would be ok at his best. Lowe, injury prone and no thanks. Larrouci? Defensively innept at Prem level, but ok going forward. Could he be coached successfully into the role? Ozzy jack of all trades, worth a squad role at least. JLT, hard as nails, his original position. If Egan won't sign or is physically shot, we need a big shithouse of a no. 5 who can be a leader and organise the defence. Joe Worrall? Anel, clearly good enough at Championship level, if he's up for staying or if he's a sacrifice to raise money? Trusty, again seemingly out of his depth at Prem level, but was successful in the championship for Brum. Give him a shot. JLT ok again for this role. Could Curtis be a long term successor to Bash? Over 6ft and mobile? Time will tell.

Midfield three? Souza, if he stays, is sacrificed, has blown it with CW after alleged comments? Hamer, proven top quality at championship level, again if he stays or is sacrificed? Arblaster? Tremendous talent /prospect. The new holy trinity after Coutts/Norwood, Fleck, Duffy? Time will tell, Tom Davies, Andre Brooks, Sydie Peck? to chuck in the mix, plus any new signings.

Up front, more unclear due to contracts/injuries. Oli McB, must admit I like him, but injury prone and lacking pace and athleticism. A proven goal scorer at championship level, with a good first touch, leadership qualities and great defensive skills, especially at dead ball situations. Given greater possession stats in the championship, thinking if he re-signs, he could be the new Didzy at this level. The Billy Sharp goalscorer role? If you could guarantee Brewster was fully fit all the time, could he do the job? Not as natural a goal scorer as Billy but a better striker of the ball. Again, if fully fit, as when at Swansea, a proven scorer at this level. Jebbo(if he signs and is fit) and Osula, both still quite raw, but got the physicality and pace to be successful at this level, especially if counter attacking when possession is at a minimum. Hackford/Marsh/One/Blacker ones for the future possibly.

Assuming all other loans go back (Archer included) add in some new signings, loans/free transfers/purchases, I'm still hopeful we can be competitive if not ultimately successful at championship level.

Whether CW is the man for the job? Whether the Prince carries on/sells up/gets new investment? Time will tell.

Fingers crossed we'll be ok for the season ahead 🤞.

I'm looking forward to it.
A comprehensive review of the squad which is positive. I would think that there are other factors to consider also. Mainly about morale and sub groups. In our 1st season up with Wilder there was a togetherness with that squad. At present our squad looks divisive. Considering Souza and Robinson having ago at each other, togetherness isn't there.

Another factor in looking at the squad is Wilder. We have been poor even with the return of Wilder. Will he be the man to turn things around or has he lost the confidence of senior players. That was my biggest fear regarding his return mid season. We know we need to jettison players like Lowe but are there players who we as fans rate but are disillusioned.

Lastly we have recruitment issues that may improve after the exit of Mitchell. We got in BBD and Grbic and Holgate at the last window. As you say we limited evidence to base our opinions accurately for any of the three. BBD looks like a good addition but behind on fitness. It looks like musical chairs until the end of the season.

i know not many blades rate him but i think tom davies when fully fit will be a big player for us in midfield in the championship him and arblaster are the 2 for our central midfield imo and play hamer higher up the pitch in behind the 2 strikers
Midfield 3 of Davies, Arblaster and Hamer with Brooks/Osborn/Peck on bench would be a decent midfield.

Only put Peck in there cos he's played this season and was on the bench against Arsenal I believe.

Midfield 3 of Davies, Arblaster and Hamer with Brooks/Osborn/Peck on bench would be a decent midfield.

Only put Peck in there cos he's played this season and was on the bench against Arsenal I believe.
From what I've seen of peck, He's probably a better all rounder than both of those on the bench and suits our style more (currently), only reason we ain't seen him more often is due to 2? Major injuries/surgery.

Agreed with the starting 3 but osborn shouldn't be anywhere near getting an appearance.. IF he stays which I'm not really enthused by, then he should be absolute emergency, Norwood likewise.

A comprehensive review of the squad which is positive. I would think that there are other factors to consider also. Mainly about morale and sub groups. In our 1st season up with Wilder there was a togetherness with that squad. At present our squad looks divisive. Considering Souza and Robinson having ago at each other, togetherness isn't there.

Another factor in looking at the squad is Wilder. We have been poor even with the return of Wilder. Will he be the man to turn things around or has he lost the confidence of senior players. That was my biggest fear regarding his return mid season. We know we need to jettison players like Lowe but are there players who we as fans rate but are disillusioned.

Lastly we have recruitment issues that may improve after the exit of Mitchell. We got in BBD and Grbic and Holgate at the last window. As you say we limited evidence to base our opinions accurately for any of the three. BBD looks like a good addition but behind on fitness. It looks like musical chairs until the end of the season.
I know this seems a very basic thing, but we need to play a style and have players who are comfortable retaining possession for longer.

We invite pressure by turning the ball over with ease and at the top level you simply don’t get it back so easily.

Simple as it may seem but the more you have of the ball, the less they do and in that way we’d alleviate the pressure on the defence. Look at the end of the Bournemouth game; it was like an attack vs defence exercise. We had no idea how to take the sting out of the game.

We can’t go down, go back up and then still be a team that gets rid like a hot potato.

That’s what was so good about Iliman. He was so hard to dispossess and could roam around with the ball without feeling pressed to get rid of it. McGoldrick was the same.

Although he could be a big player for us, Hamer turns over possession a lot. Perhaps he can get away with it is he is a Duffy 10 or a McGoldrick 10 in front of a three, but not in the middle. West Ham away a good example as to how giving the ball away cheaply by Hamer cost us a goal.

Need to be smarter. I’m hopeful Arblaster can do this and perhaps Davies too. That midfield looks a little lightweight but does look like it can take care of the ball.

All leads me to believe that Souza simply might not fit into next seasons team anyway, regardless of whether he wants to stay or not.

Last edited:
Just to add I used to get quite excited with the prospect of buying and selling players but you tend to realise that the better managers, those in charge of successful teams tend to add small amounts of quality rather than have mass ins and outs.

I’d rather we do the same to be honest as a practice.

However, I think it is inevitable we will sign about 6 players through necessity at a minimum because of the situation we have allowed to develop through contracts:

1. Additional keeper once Wes, Davo likely move on. A lot depends how Grbic does if we look at rivals or back ups.

2. Left wing back. Lowe’s injury proneness is hard to accommodate if you are also considering Ozzy and possibly an olive branch for RND. It does seem a bit of an ask for Boyes and Buyabu. They are probably a season behind what we need them to be.

3. Right centre back. Suppose Bash calls it a day, you could argue that Bogle, Curtis and Baldock cover RWB but also Baldock and Curtis can fill in at RCB. But there is an expectation Anel moves on. So we’ll need one there.

4. Midfield. I think Souza will want to move on and I think we will like players who add more to us going forwards. So assume Arblaster, Brooks, Peck of the young ones join Davies, Hamer and perhaps Slimane. Not overly convinced Wilder has seen enough in the latter. Does he get Norwood to tutor Arblaster for a final year? Does that still leave room for an approach to O’Hare or do players need to leave? May seem harsh but Slimane out for cash, O’Hare in on a Bosman?

5. Attack. So many open questions here. Only will it become apparent once the contract situation is resolved. For now we have Osula and an injured Brewster, a returning and seemingly ill-fitting Traore and younger unproven lads like Oné, Marsh and Hackford. Can see Traore out unless Wilder has a huge about-turn. He’s hardly pulling up trees in admittedly a struggling Nantes team.

Hopefully Wilder and the Prince will soon be at a point where they know who is sticking around and who is off.

Just to add I used to get quite excited with the prospect of buying and selling players but you tend to realise that the better managers, those in charge of successful teams tend to add small amounts of quality rather than have mass ins and outs.

However, I think it is inevitable we will sign about 6 players through necessity at a minimum because of the situation we have allowed to develop through contracts:

1. Additional keeper once Wes, Davo likely move on. A lot depends how Grbic does if we look at rivals or back ups.

2. Left wing back. Lowe’s injury proneness is hard to accommodate if you are also considering Ozzy and possibly an olive branch for RND. It does seem a bit of an ask for Boyes and Buyabu. They are probably a season behind what we need them to be.

3. Right centre back. Suppose Bash calls it a day, you could argue that Bogle, Curtis and Baldock cover RWB but also Baldock and Curtis can fill in at RCB. But there is an expectation Anel moves on. So we’ll need one there.

4. Midfield. I think Souza will want to move on and I think we will like players who add more to us going forwards. So assume Arblaster, Brooks, Peck of the young ones join Davies, Hamer and perhaps Slimane. Not overly convinced Wilder has seen enough in the latter. Does he get Norwood to tutor Arblaster for a final year? Does that still leave room for an approach to O’Hare or do players need to leave? May seem harsh but Slimane out for cash, O’Hare in on a Bosman?

5. Attack. So many open questions here. Only will it become apparent once the contract situation is resolved. For now we have Osula and an injured Brewster, a returning and seemingly ill-fitting Traore and younger unproven lads like Oné, Marsh and Hackford. Can see Traore out unless Wilder has a huge about-turn. He’s hardly pulling up trees in admittedly a struggling Nantes team.

Hopefully Wilder and the Prince will soon be at a point where they know who is sticking around and who is off.
Reasonable assessment Champers. The point about better managers also applies to well-run teams: it's borderline ridiculous that so many of our first team players are out of contract at the same time.

I think it's almost inevitable that we'll sign a keeper, unless there's a belief that Amissah can step up as a backup; a LB as there are signs that Wilder wants to move to a back four and our two first choice options are too injury prone, a centre back as I think it's entirely possible that Egan will leave as well as Bash retiring and a forward as it's likely that McBurnie will leave.

We need to raise £30-40m as a minimum from sales to plug the revenue gap: Archer fills half of that then it's likely that Souza and Ahmedhodzic will force moves as well. On the bright side, those two should bring in a further £30m (despite what the naysayers on here believe) and that should give Wilder a bit of budget for fees, particularly if Egan and McBurnie - two of our highest earners - decide to move on.

In regards to Osula, to me he seems to be one of those strikers who needs to play in a 2 rather than a 1, just like Mcburnie who had his best season with us when Ndiaye was playing alongside him, him and Archer seemed to work well as a pairing against Everton as well.

Out of all the strikers we have I think it's only Archer who can play on his own, maybe Brewster at a push but his lack of game time doesn't make it easy.

That being said, if we choose to go with either Mcburnie or Osula as a first choice striker next season then we ought to bring someone in to play alongside them.

Back
Top Bottom