2024/2025 Squad Planning

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFCScorecard

Reaction score
Anyone else notice we only have two players under contract for the 2024/25 season? Anel and Brewster.

• I assume Norwood, Robinson, Foderingham are no brainers for a new contract
  • Assume Fleck, Osborn, Sharp, Stevens won't be coming with us to the PL

Its quite probable that we will get relegated next season. I hope the club is recruiting with an eye on 2024/2025 as well. Right now we are a yo-yo club which is really as good as it has been as a blades fan for the last 40 years. If we don't properly plan for the 24/25 season we could lose that status. There seems to be a lot of suggestion that we will lean heavily into loans. That is a real concern as we don't want to need to recruit a whole new team if (as is probable) we get relegated. I hope the signings we do make put is in position to be competitive in the Championship again in 24/25, that means signing players who will be happy to drop down with us if we go down.

Picture3.jpg

Anyone else notice we only have two players under contract for the 2024/25 season? Anel and Brewster.

Its quite probable that we will get relegated next season. I hope the club is recruiting with an eye on 2024/2025 as well. Right now we are a yo-yo club which is really as good as it has been as a blades fan for the last 40 years. If we don't properly plan for the 24/25 season we could lose that status. There seems to be a lot of suggestion that we will lean heavily into loans. That is a real concern as we don't want to need to recruit a whole new team if (as is probable) we get relegated. I hope the signings we do make put is in position to be competitive in the Championship again in 24/25, that means signing players who will be happy to drop down with us if we go down.

View attachment 160849
Are you ignoring the young players who will be two years older and more experienced by then ?
We may have 5/6 who will be good enough to make the squad or even the match day group.
Whilst we may have loans this coming season that doesn’t stop us bringing in one or two freebies and possibly one or two purchased.
Together these would give you perhaps 8 players for a good Championship side plus what we already have plus two more windows after this summer.
Seems under control to me.

View attachment 160849
Yep, it's worth considering.

In addition to extensions and current youth players, by the end of the summer we'll probably (hopefully) have 5 new faces on new contracts.

View attachment 160849
It's a bit of a mess, driven by the decision to keep this group together but being unable to have any contract discussions this year.

A lot of players might have been offered a deal by the autumn though as we are now able to see minimum earnings for the next 3 seasons.

It's a bit of a mess, driven by the decision to keep this group together but being unable to have any contract discussions this year.

A lot of players might have been offered a deal by the autumn though as we are now able to see minimum earnings for the next 3 seasons.
Especially when you consider Berge/Ndiaye are likely going to walk away for nothing at the end of the season. If we get relegated, are we going to have the money to piece together a 23+ man squad that can compete at the top end of the Championship?

Last edited:
Are you ignoring the young players who will be two years older and more experienced by then ?
We may have 5/6 who will be good enough to make the squad or even the match day group.

Oh please, they'll still need another five to six years of being loaned out before they are close to being ready 🤫

As we near the end of the season, here's the lie of the land:

Players out of Contract:
Basham 😢
Wes
Norwood
A. Davies
Egan
Baldock
Osborn
Lowe
McBurnie
Amissah
Bogle
RND
Jebbison
Larouci - option to buy
Holgate - on loan
McAtee - on loan
Brereton-Diaz - on loan
Archer - will be sold

Players under Contract:

GK

Grbic

LWB
none
RWB
none

CB
Anel
Trusty
Robinson

CM
Hamer
Souza
Davies
Slimane
Brooks
Coulibaly

WING
none

CF
Brewster
Osula
Jebbison
Traore - if they don't buy him

--------------------

Personally, of the ones out of contract I would offer the following a contract renewal.

Norwood
I know he has his knockers, but he consistently performs in the Championship. Offer him a 1y deal as backup for the 1st team.
He's also a good character for the dressing room. I feel we have missed Billy more off the field than on it this year.

Egan
Depending on the injury rehab. If he's strong enough for the fight. Get him renewed. Good CB for the Champ

Baldock
Make him captain

McBurnie
Proved he is a good striker in the Championship. Need to sort his fitness out though

Amissah
Why not? He'll be on relatively low wages. No brainer really

Bogle
Very good on his day. Defending ability very questionable. Wouldn't mind seeing him moulded into a right sided version of Brooks

Jebbison
No idea what's going on with him - injury? illness? If sorted, sign him up.

Wes, A.Davies, Lowe & Larouci can all leave
RND - I feel we may have another JOC on our hands. Unfortunate for the lad, but we can't keep paying his wages
Osborn - I may be tempted to keep him as he's very versatile and always gives 100% Not as a starter, maybe a backup
Then there's Basham 😭 - sorry Bash, but as with RND. It's not for us to pay you to not play. Give him a testimonial!

That would then leave us looking something like this*...

lineup.png

* I do think Anel will be sold, and i think if offers come in for Souza and Hamer, they could be too.
In the Championship though - they need to be kept. Build the team around Souza, Hamer & Arblaster!

Can anyone give any examples of any clubs in recent years who have successfully rebuilt an entire squad for the Championship, while spending a relatively small amount of money on transfers?

Players out of Contract:
Basham 😢
Wes
Norwood
A. Davies
Egan
Baldock
Osborn
Lowe
McBurnie
Amissah
Bogle
RND
Jebbison
Larouci - option to buy
Holgate - on loan
McAtee - on loan
Brereton-Diaz - on loan
Archer - will be sold

Players under Contract:

GK

Grbic

LWB
none
RWB
none

CB
Anel
Trusty
Robinson

CM
Hamer
Souza
Davies
Slimane
Brooks
Coulibaly

WING
none

CF
Brewster
Osula
Jebbison

--------------------

Personally, of the ones out of contract I would offer the following a contract renewal.

Norwood
I know he has his knockers, but he consistently performs in the Championship. Offer him a 1y deal as backup for the 1st team.
He's also a good character for the dressing room. I feel we have missed Billy more off the field than on it this year.

Egan
Depending on the injury rehab. If he's strong enough for the fight. Get him renewed. Good CB for the Champ

Baldock
Make him captain

McBurnie
Proved he is a good striker in the Championship. Need to sort his fitness out though

Amissah

Bogle
Very good on his day. Defending ability very questionable. Wouldn't mind seeing him moulded into a right sided version of Brooks

Jebbison

RND - I feel we may have another JOC on our hands. Unfortunate for the lad, but we can't keep paying his wages
Osborn - I may be tempted to keep him as he's very versatile and always gives 100% Not as a starter, maybe a backup
Then there's Basham 😭 - sorry Bash, but as with RND. It's not for us to pay you to not play. Give him a testimonial!

View attachment 180321

* I do think Anel will be sold, and i think if offers come in for Souza and Hamer, they could be too.
In the Championship though - they need to be kept. Build the team around Souza, Hamer & Arblaster!
I agree with most of that. Except I’d give RND a new deal and would let Norwood go. Anel will 100% not be here next season. I was certain McBurnie was signing a new deal but something’s changed and I’d say it’s likely he won’t be here now. I also think think it will be one off Bogle or Baldock still here as we rate Curtis very highly and expecting him to be pushing for starts next season.

Players out of Contract:
Basham 😢
Wes
Norwood
A. Davies
Egan
Baldock
Osborn
Lowe
McBurnie
Amissah
Bogle
RND
Jebbison
Larouci - option to buy
Holgate - on loan
McAtee - on loan
Brereton-Diaz - on loan
Archer - will be sold

Players under Contract:

GK

Grbic

LWB
none
RWB
none

CB
Anel
Trusty
Robinson

CM
Hamer
Souza
Davies
Slimane
Brooks
Coulibaly

WING
none

CF
Brewster
Osula
Jebbison

--------------------

Norwood

Egan

Baldock
Make him captain

McBurnie

Amissah

Bogle

Jebbison

View attachment 180321

No way do we give Norwood or McBurnie a new contract. The former wasn't good enough last season in tje championship never mind 2 years on and he epitomises the lack of athleticism that we have to move away from. McBurnie is semi permanently injured and again doesn't have the physical traits the modern game demands. If we want a big target man I'd take Kieffer Moore over McBurnie and he won't be any more expensive.

I can't make my mind up on Egan as I've thought he's not physically strong enough for a while now but when I look at our alternatives they scare me to death.

I'm ambivalent about Osbourn as I dont think he's good enough but he provides cover in a lot of areas.

Baldock and Bogle are both a yes. Of
the loanees I'd love Diaz to come on a permanent but he will have better offers and we've seen the last of McAtee. The 2 loanees we get in next season will be absolutely crucial to how our season turns out.

Would imagine the level of opinion on Sam Curtis will be a deciding factor on whether Baldock/Bogle or both are offered contracts. Sadly do feel Baldocks wages/age and chance at possible european football in greece may mean he leaves

Our only hope financially is that we've stashed some Premier League money away with aim of doing a signifcant squad rebuild. We need to balance getting some experienced pros on free transfers who still have a passion for the game, along with try to cream off talen from lower leagues like we did back in Wilders first few years for sensible fees.

I'm also hoping any new Head of Recruitment comes with a strong International set of contacts and knowledge so we can make better use of what other clubs seem to make a very profitable market.

Norwood
I think we will offer him another year, mainly cos I believe Hamer and Souza will leave and if we don’t keep Norwood we risk starting next season with Sicknote Davies and the kids in midfield As loans won’t be arriving until the end of the window.

Egan
we should offer him a new deal but I am not totally convinced he will sign it.. could well see him wanting another challenge elsewhere.

Baldock
I think he will be off to Greece.

McBurnie
Sorry not fit for enough games, we will already be carrying Brewster around next season like weekend at Bernies so bye Oli.

Amissah
Not seen enough of him.. now seems to have fallen behind Davies in the pecking order again which is worrying.. I think we will say goodbye

Bogle
As I believe Baldock will be gone no choice but to offer him a deal.. not convinced by him as a player personally

Jebbison
I think he wants out and will be gone.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Egan, Norwood and Baldock.

All have been terrific servants to the club, but as they're all the wrong side of 30, anything more than a 1 year deal would be silly especially as Baldock and Egan have had long term injuries this season. Which brings me onto is there any point in offering a 1 year deal? From a motivational point of view, where would they stand? From the clubs point of view, it would just be a short term fix with no long term benefit.

It's easier said than done, but we need a 2016-2018 recruitment style where we buy sensibly on players who we can get 4-5 years out of.

Do people forget that we had to replace Norwood last season with Doyle or we would have carried on conceding goals from his terrible short passing?

Yes you're right. I'd totally forgotten about the dreadful form United were in prior to him being dropped in March.

Just the 20 Wins and 7 draws from 36 Games he'd featured in before he was dropped.
We were in the lowly position of 2nd in the table

1709896127488.png

1709896164380.png
1709896201511.png

Doyle coming in helped see us over the line, i'm not debating that. But people singling out Norwood for the form in Feb and March is unfair

Yes you're right. I'd totally forgotten about the dreadful form United were in prior to him being dropped in March.

Just the 20 Wins and 7 draws from 36 Games he'd featured in before he was dropped.

View attachment 180345

View attachment 180346
View attachment 180349

Doyle coming in helped see us over the line, i'm not debating that. But people singling out Norwood for the form in Feb and March is unfair
What have you been told about coming on here with your fancy 'facts'??

What have you been told about coming on here with your fancy 'facts'??
Here's another.

Doyle started 6 out of 7 games in October. We got 5 out of a possible 21 points.
But nobody talks about that

1709896746266.png

Suppose Norwood was also in the team though, so best to blame him

Teams go through bad spells in a season. We had 2 last season.

Luckily for us, we followed up 6 games without a win in October with 11 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat in the next 14.

The Feb/March stuttering form was followed up with 9 wins from the final 11 games... this coincided with Norwood being dropped for Doyle

We desperately need to get the loans right next season.

Hopefully, we are already on a charm offensive, either side of the 5 or 6 goal hammerings, to that end.

After Arteta's 'respectful' comments about Wilder, last weekend, maybe we should try knocking on their door come July/August. I think our stock may have fallen with Pep and Liverpool have a history of taking the piss with us.

It's a huge squad rebuild required, not a job for a manager with just over a year left on his contract really is it? The problem is.. what other manager of any pedigree would take the sheff utd job now?

Here's another.

Doyle started 6 out of 7 games in October. We got 5 out of a possible 21 points.
But nobody talks about that

View attachment 180351

Suppose Norwood was also in the team though, so best to blame him
Just like Souza earlier this season we played Doyle out of position on the left of the three to accommodate Norwood. The noted upturn in the spring came when Doyle replaced Norwood in the central role.

We desperately need to get the loans right next season.

Hopefully, we are already on a charm offensive, either side of the 5 or 6 goal hammerings, to that end.

After Arteta's 'respectful' comments about Wilder, last weekend, maybe we should try knocking on their door come July/August. I think our stock may have fallen with Pep and Liverpool have a history of taking the piss with us.
I beleive a large part of our success will be due to getting the right loans. Very important.

The manager of the HSBC team is out of work, he is the guy who used to manage the team
Based in Dore in facilities that you said were not in our plans as the current owner was not forward thinking and we had no money

View attachment 180345

View attachment 180346
View attachment 180349

I get your point, but can you not see that we won every single game Norwood didn't play in?

It was very clear that selections him forces us to play a certain way and limits others. Obviously we still had enough to beat most teams in the Championship. I'm not denying his early season form, but are you really suggesting we would've still gone up had Hecky not made the change? You'd be in a small minority if so.

Doyle couldn't play with Norwood, Souza can't play with Norwood, Verge couldn't play with Norwood. Maybe the problem is Norwood?

All that aside, let's judge it on today. Does he keep the ball and do a job for us off the bench? Does he create? Are his set pieces a threat? Does he link things up? The answer to all of these is no. Any kind of press and he folds like cardboard in the rain.

Aren't we supposed to be trying to move on from players who are only effective in a small window of opportunity, ie against worse teams?

No way do we give Norwood or McBurnie a new contract. The former wasn't good enough last season in tje championship never mind 2 years on and he epitomises the lack of athleticism that we have to move away from. McBurnie is semi permanently injured and again doesn't have the physical traits the modern game demands. If we want a big target man I'd take Kieffer Moore over McBurnie and he won't be any more expensive.

I can't make my mind up on Egan as I've thought he's not physically strong enough for a while now but when I look at our alternatives they scare me to death.

I'm ambivalent about Osbourn as I dont think he's good enough but he provides cover in a lot of areas.

Baldock and Bogle are both a yes. Of
the loanees I'd love Diaz to come on a permanent but he will have better offers and we've seen the last of McAtee. The 2 loanees we get in next season will be absolutely crucial to how our season turns out.
Probably Holgate :eek:

Back
Top Bottom