1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

6/6/1973

World Cup qualifier

Poland 2 (Banas, Lubanski) England 0

Although I watched a lot of Munich Olympics on tv in September 1972, I dont remember watching any of the football and I wasnt aware that Poland had won the football Olympics. I knew they had lost at Wales in the recent World Cup qualifier so I was confident about England getting a point, at least, in Poland. Before the match I looked at the Star to find that TC wasnt named in the starting line up, I was fuming but it made me realise that I have more passion for the Blades than for England.

I watched the match at my friend's house as he lived three doors away from me and the family had colour tv. We didnt dominate the first half as I thought we would and we were a goal down early in the game. Soon after half time Poland scored the 2nd goal after Bobby Moore's terrible mistake. I remember my friend's dad being furious with Moore for the mistake. It reminded me of Moore's mistake against West Germany in the previous year's Euro quarter finals so I thought Moore was now past his prime. I remember Alan Ball's sending off to but I wasnt clear at the time about the reason for the sending off. It was a surprise at the time that he got a straight red card.

At the end of the game I believed that the omission of TC was the reason for England's loss! :)

Remember it like it was yesterday

10/6/1973

Friendly match

USSR 1 (Muntian pen) England 2 (Chivers, Khurtzilava og)

Not sure if I knew the score before watching the highlights of the game on ITV. I watched the highlights with my dad and we were proud of how well TC played. Even more pleasing was that Gordon Banks and Jack Charlton were praising TC during the post match analysis (my dad did the interpreting for me). In the next few days there were newspaper articles comparing TC to Gunter Netzer, the star player for West Germany who was about to sign for Real Madrid!

Like many Blades fans, I was still worried that TC may leave the Blades to go to a big club before the start of the 1973-74 season

14/6/1973

Friendly match

Italy 2 (Anastasi , Capello) England 0

TC's 3rd England match. I watched highlights of the match on tv in the evening, TC played ok. I remember in the next morning in the waiting room at the Lea Road surgery (Dronfield) my mum was telling me that she overheard two elderly men discussing the match and they were in agreement that Bobby Moore was "finished" as an England player.

1686725747428.png
1686725830585.png

23/12/1972

Spurs 2 (Chivers, Perryman) Blades 0

Didnt go. I do not remember anything about the day. I hadnt realised that the match was on "The Big Match" in the next day until the evening we played at Spurs in the League Cup semi final 1st leg on January 2015. Before the game, Spurs TV screen were showing footage of the goals scored by Chivers and Perryman.

View attachment 149810

View attachment 149813
View attachment 149811

[/URL]
Found the footage, WalthamstowBlade a new addition for your 1972-73 video. Starts 55 mins 23 secs in below link

Back
Top Bottom