VAR gives us more hope.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

i said this back in jan FA cup i think in derby 1st "goal" v Southampton. i like VAR when its used for its purpose. but an offside where its impossible for any linesman to see with naked eye & its still too tough to call with still image. its not clear & obvious error. wimbledon dont hawkeye every point we dont need to review every goals. i highly doubt the dutch wouldve been screaming they'd been robbed. the players were ready to kick off again

i dont want to be in a game where your offside because of your big toenail. if so get replace linesman with laser sighted robots now

Our 2nd against Derby (offside)

Our winner against Boro (pushing)

Our 2nd against Ipswich (blocking keeper)

Just three goals off the top of my head from last season VAR would have ruled out.

Can’t wait 😡
The 2nd and 3rd one wouldn't have been because they are not covered by VAR.

i said this back in jan FA cup i think in derby 1st "goal" v Southampton. i like VAR when its used for its purpose. but an offside where its impossible for any linesman to see with naked eye & its still too tough to call with still image. its not clear & obvious error. wimbledon dont hawkeye every point we dont need to review every goals. i highly doubt the dutch wouldve been screaming they'd been robbed. the players were ready to kick off again

i dont want to be in a game where your offside because of your big toenail. if so get replace linesman with laser sighted robots now

I agree with this. If we're going for absolute precision we should have full pitch real time tracking, enough cameras and lasers and you could do that, and players can have little green and red lights on them and show real time whether you're off or on.

Hawkeye works because it deals in absolutes, ball was over the line/ball wasn't over the line, ball was hitting the wickets, ball was missing the wickets.

The current implementation of VAR just makes me annoyed with football. It's great in certain situations but it leaves so much to be desired in others.

For penalty decisions, great go ahead, that's when you really feel robbed, but for offsides if you're talking fine enough margins that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle has to be taken into account, they should probably come up with a method of not completely sucking the spirit of the fans and players away.

I agree with this. If we're going for absolute precision we should have full pitch real time tracking, enough cameras and lasers and you could do that, and players can have little green and red lights on them and show real time whether you're off or on.

Hawkeye works because it deals in absolutes, ball was over the line/ball wasn't over the line, ball was hitting the wickets, ball was missing the wickets.

The current implementation of VAR just makes me annoyed with football. It's great in certain situations but it leaves so much to be desired in others.

For penalty decisions, great go ahead, that's when you really feel robbed, but for offsides if you're talking fine enough margins that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle has to be taken into account, they should probably come up with a method of not completely sucking the spirit of the fans and players away.

The review system will eventually come in I’m certain of that. Then it’s as simple as the match continues until the manager/captain calls for a review.

No one can blame the refs then, it’s the manager/captain’s fault for either not reviewing or wasting a review on something that wasn’t offside or a penalty etc.

It will take more than VAR to keep us up, Especially the longer this court case continues considering where working with a limited budget while it’s resolved/is ever resolved

Just three goals off the top of my head from last season VAR would have ruled out.

Can’t wait 😡
But surely there must have many incidents against us which cost us goals and were not ruled out? It's a two way street, people obviously feel pised off whe it the results go against your team, BUT they are the correct decisions, VAR us black and white no wishy-washy gray areas.

But surely there must have many incidents against us which cost us goals and were not ruled out? It's a two way street, people obviously feel pised off whe it the results go against your team, BUT they are the correct decisions, VAR us black and white no wishy-washy gray areas.

Just get rid of all officials and let a man with a hooter officiate from a tv room

Out of interest, the ‘clear and obvious error’ caveat does not apply to offsides.

Because it is considered an absolute - you’re either offside or you are not.

I think for consistency you therefore have to check every goal.

I agree with your point though, it’s so fine margins that it seems very harsh on attacking teams

Out of interest, the ‘clear and obvious error’ caveat does not apply to offsides.

but that VAR was brought in for the howler. that was in no way a howler. as i said if that happened to us i wouldnt have complained. they need to give some leeway. because in heat of play offside is not as easy as off & on

but that VAR was brought in for the howler. that was in no way a howler. as i said if that happened to us i wouldnt have complained. they need to give some leeway. because in heat of play offside is not as easy as off & on

I do agree, but then where would you draw the line (excuse the pun)?

If one toenail is too close, would it become one foot, or one leg, or one yard? At which point you’d get people saying ‘are we totally sure that’s exactly his whole leg that’s offside’

Unless of course I’m missing the point and you’re suggesting we don’t have VAR at all for offsides - in which case apologies and that’s a good point!

The technology already exists. The players are already running around with trackers on their back. All that the governing bodies need to do is tie this into a real time 2D map of the game, add a tracker to the ball and then it's offside if your tracker is beyond the tracker of the last defender when the ball is played. Then we don't have to worry about a ball playing part of the body, just simplify it this way. At least it will provide consistency and more importantly, accuracy.

Unless of course I’m missing the point and you’re suggesting we don’t have VAR at all for offsides - in which case apologies and that’s a good point!

i think offside doesn't need checking all the times yes, only in extreme cases need to be checked, the bad ones where we seen there was clear daylight. & mistake has been made. if it is like last night or in derby v Southampton fa cup game. the VAR needs to think could a linesman have judged that gap with the naked eye. no well we leave it alone. because in both games i didn't see any players angry or appealing both were going back to kick off. there cleaning up the game & trying to be too perfect which brings its own problems & linesman will be obsolete

The technology already exists. The players are already running around with trackers on their back. All that the governing bodies need to do is tie this into a real time 2D map of the game, add a tracker to the ball and then it's offside if your tracker is beyond the tracker of the last defender when the ball is played. Then we don't have to worry about a ball playing part of the body, just simplify it this way. At least it will provide consistency and more importantly, accuracy.

That's all well and good in the old school rules of offside. However now when you have phases, interfeerences, deflections and the like, ya can't use it real time.

Opps! Started a thread in ‘Other...’ saying almost exactly this. Completely agree.

I think for consistency you therefore have to check every goal.

I agree with your point though, it’s so fine margins that it seems very harsh on attacking teams

I know that’s the standard but offside has too many variables to be an absolute. For example “when the ball is played” is nearly always applied differently. If millimetres can be the difference for on or offside using VAR then surely the same margin has to be applied for ‘when the ball is played’. Seeing as it’s virtually impossible to see the exact moment contact is made with the ball (as in the difference between first contact and a split second later) the sensible thing would be a margin of error allowance, measured in distance. I’d go with half a foot. Alternatively, do what athletics do for photo finishes and only compare the torso of the defender and attacker, which would likely naturally accommodate an error rate.

Have a like,was about to say this. Like the ultraedge on the cricket rock and roll the frames, a mic in the ball Is or isn't.

i think offside doesn't need checking all the times yes, only in extreme cases need to be checked, the bad ones where we seen there was clear daylight. & mistake has been made. if it is like last night or in derby v Southampton fa cup game. the VAR needs to think could a linesman have judged that gap with the naked eye. no well we leave it alone. because in both games i didn't see any players angry or appealing both were going back to kick off. there cleaning up the game & trying to be too perfect which brings its own problems & linesman will be obsolete

In cricket they have 'Umpires call ' which builds in a certain margin as a buffer to protect the match official and maybe an acknowledgement that the technology cannot always be 100% accurate.

The exact moment the ball is played forward in football has to be a matter of judgement/opinion when executing the technology. It's a fast game and a micro
split second either way can alter the 'line ' by inches. A tolerance in support of the on-field decision would not go amiss.

Hope that makes sense.

In cricket they have 'Umpires call ' which builds in a certain margin as a buffer to protect the match official and maybe an acknowledgement that the technology cannot always be 100% accurate.

The exact moment the ball is played forward in football has to be a matter of judgement/opinion when executing the technology. It's a fast game and a micro
split second either way can alter the 'line ' by inches. A tolerance in support of the on-field decision would not go amiss.

Hope that makes sense.

Jinx!!🤣

Hope that makes sense.

thats what we need a umpires call function. if too close to call you go with the on field decision

Last two games I’ve seen, VAR ruling out two goals.
One offside by a gnats cock hair, the other a light pull of an arm prior to a defender losing balance in a jostle with a striker just before he scored.

I’m sorry, it’s fucking shit. And won’t be doing us any favours whatsoever next season. It destroys atmosphere, passion and is sanitising the game. If anything it’s going to make it frigging harder for us!

Goal line Tec...fine. Blatant offsides where the player is miles off...fine. Deliberate Handballs on the line or box...Fine.
But please stop there, I don’t want Shitty Rugby league style refereeing killing the flow of the game.
Just let the referee do his job FFS

Can’t wait 😡
We would have got a penalty at the Sty thou

Desperately, desperately need 3 reviews/ umpires call like cricket otherwise it will destroy the Premier League next season. People will just stop celebrating goals, atmosphere will be on its arse.

Who's to say the official in the lorry or studio wont stiff us by not alerting the ref?

Desperately, desperately need 3 reviews/ umpires call like cricket otherwise it will destroy the Premier League next season. People will just stop celebrating goals, atmosphere will be on its arse.
Ref can turn round to a player and say tell your manager to review. As I said earlier, players will be a lot more honest about appealing to their own manager than to a ref. Appeal happens after the ball has gone out of play next. Subsequent goals don't count, unless in the team who wins the appeals favour. Bookings count in that appeal time.

Back
Top Bottom