VAR gives us more hope.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Billy's arse is going to get us a lot of chalked off goals next season.

Southgate should copy Wilder.

Alexander Arnold, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, O'Connell, Chilwell

That'd be a nice back line.

i know ive complained about VAR but it does only have 2 issues. offside & handball the rest works very well

as proved in womens game England v scotland as that was not a pen for me, as VAR disregards the "deliberate" part of handball rule. because its now a penalty if the ball hits the hand. but in 1 defenae defenders should know to have hand behind back by now

i know ive complained about VAR but it does only have 2 issues. offside & handball the rest works very well

as proved in womens game England v scotland as that was not a pen for me, as VAR disregards the "deliberate" part of handball rule. because its now a penalty if the ball hits the hand. but in 1 defenae defenders should know to have hand behind back by now

Isn't the 'non-deliberate' part of the penalty decision an actual new rule that is simply then interpreted by VAR - not the fault of the technology or concept but more a questionable football rule.

As regards offside decisions, in a way the actual moment caught on camera and line drawn across the pitch ( imaginary line) is far too precise. For a start there has to be an element of doubt that any film can be halted to capture the exact moment the ball leaves the player's foot when he passes forward. Then that can be exacerbated by the panel calling offside if half a big toe nail is over this imaginary line. If we are to rely on a strict interpretation of the technology and fully rely on the exact point of release off the boot then perhaps we should alter the amount of anatomy that has to be venturing over the line. Let me say a 'full boot' to overturn the onfield official's initial decision.

VAR is a load of bollocks , just another addition to slow the game and kill football , if people think it will keep us up your havin a laff !

It's supposed to be there to right obvious wrongs with it being 'a clear and obvious error'. Checking back and spotting a slight infringement in the play leading up to a goal is not that IMO. How far back do you go ? Why will players get away with things all over the pitch but not in the penalty area ?

Some will say it adds a bit of excitement but to me, fans won't be able to celebrate goals properly anymore for fear that the VAR gods are going to spot someone on the other side of the penalty area pulling a shirt 15 seconds before the ball went in etc

My biggest fear is the players, we know how 'clever' they are now winning free kicks etc and it won't take long for injustices to fool VAR, or at least give VAR no option but to rule with them because 'technically' they were fouled etc

As it stands, I can see it causing more problems than it solves, but, early days I guess...............

VAR is a load of bollocks , just another addition to slow the game and kill football , if people think it will keep us up your havin a laff !
Technically your bollox’s can rule you offside as you can use them to score (in the sense of putting the ball in the net with a legal part of the body), don’t know how that would work in the women’s game.

PICTORIAL EVIDENCE Akinbiyi ;)

That's all well and good in the old school rules of offside. However now when you have phases, interferences, deflections and the like, ya can't use it real time.

Deflections are irrelevant because the snapshot would be generated at each impact. I hear you regarding interfering with play. But rules get overhauled all the time (how much has the offside rule changed already?). I would make it much more clear cut than it is now - using the realtime map, you're offside if:

a) The snapshot shows the tracker of the attacker being closer to the opposition goal than the last defender's tracker, and
b) said attacker is moving in the direction of the opposition goaline

If the furthest attacker is moving in the direction of his own goaline, then the live system won't flag it as offside. Should be easy enough to work into an algorithm,

This way we can scrap the grey area that is interfering with play, and make it more clear cut.

Well, the VAR panel found a way to favour France Women last night. Sort of knocks even my confidence. The iffy penalty hit the post f.f.sake, goalie didn't even save it.

We all know human error can't be eradicated and bias, conscious or sub-conscious, is hard to detect.

I still think the panels will come under intense scrutiny and will improve or be removed.

The game without VAR is a lottery, and very few winning tickets in the draw for such as Nigeria or us in the Prem.

In time, with VAR it can become say 80 % fairer. Never 100%.

Yep, the France player hit the penalty wide - but it had to be re-taken because the keeper was marginally off her line, which didn't affect the strike at all. To add insult to injury the keeper was yellow carded.

VAR is fine for some marginal decisions in the box - to check if the ball has crossed the line, or if it was saved or scored by the hand of an outfield player. Otherwise, it's going to transform the game for the worst. The game will lose spontainuity, games will last 10-15 mins longer than they do now, and immediate goal celebrations will be a thing of the past.

You can pretty much guarantee that VAR will work against us next season. We'll probably get relegated on the final day due to a VAR decision. It's the Blades Way.

Yep, the France player hit the penalty wide - but it had to be re-taken because the keeper was marginally off her line, which didn't affect the strike at all. To add insult to injury the keeper was yellow carded.

VAR is fine for some marginal decisions in the box - to check if the ball has crossed the line, or if it was saved or scored by the hand of an outfield player. Otherwise, it's going to transform the game for the worst. The game will lose spontainuity, games will last 10-15 mins longer than they do now, and immediate goal celebrations will be a thing of the past.

You can pretty much guarantee that VAR will work against us next season. We'll probably get relegated on the final day due to a VAR decision. It's the Blades Way.

Back to last time, such as the Shelton incident at Old Trafford, the Geary headed 'goal ' at West Ham, two of the 3 Gerrard fashioned penalties, the Tevez offside at Blackburn would all have been sorted by VAR.

Somehow they'll find a way though I suppose, until it all develops maybe over 3/4 years.

VAR was 100% spot on last night.

The penalty was rightly retaken.

New rules as regards penalties and goalkeepers came into force on June 1st.

Move on folks, there's nothing more to say.

VAR was 100% spot on last night.

The penalty was rightly retaken.

New rules as regards penalties and goalkeepers came into force on June 1st.

Move on folks, there's nothing more to say.

If you are serious on this occasion Lazarus, I agree the keeper stepped a foot forward of the goal-line. However so have most keepers throughout this World Cup, none given as far as I know. In any case the ball hit the post directly; o.k the keeper may have put off the taker, I dont think so.

For both penalties French players encroached and the goal on the second pen should have been disallowed.

The initial penalty decision was harsh to the extreme. The second yellow was cruel in the extreme by a ref who didn't even give the foul.

Other than those 4 big factors it was an.o.k. decision.

I am 90% certain in my own mind that none of it would have taken place in the opposite penalty area.

If you are serious on this occasion

I am always serious. Evidence provided.

Posts 212 / 213 / 214

By the way, you should never go away from S24SU, only in case of a personal emergency.
You should get more involved in threads that are not SUFC related.
You may change contributor's blinkered opinions of the name that is Woodwardfan

Only a suggestion, nothing more.

Posts 212 / 213 / 214

By the way, you should never go away from S24SU, only in case of a personal emergency.

And back to the penalty?

Imagine, Billy scores in front of the kop with a header. We can't cheer until the VAR referees have checked conclusively that none of our players have obstructed the keeper or any opposition player, none of our players are offside, and the ball didn't graze Billy's arm on the way in.

It's bollocks. It may result in fairer decisions, but it will ruin the game.

Imagine, Kun Aguero scores in front of the BLLT with a header. They can't cheer until the VAR referees have checked conclusively that none of their players have obstructed our keeper or any United player, none of their players are offside, and the ball didn't graze Sergio's arm on the way in.

If the VAR shows that he did, we'll all be delirious.

It's not bollocks, it's the ruling.
Rules for all the clubs that have to play under VAR.

Imagine, Billy scores in front of the kop with a header. We can't cheer until the VAR referees have checked conclusively that none of our players have obstructed the keeper or any opposition player, none of our players are offside, and the ball didn't graze Billy's arm on the way in.

It's bollocks. It may result in fairer decisions, but it will ruin the game.

I hope we adapt as fans, know what you are worried about though.

All these years I have considered a handful of refs dodgy, a load more timid and a load more hopeless; a few very good.

I'm hoping this helps even things up. A few delays in games are well worth more even justice. For games to be decided on diabolical, sometimes 'iffy' decisions, sometimes when you've travelled hundreds of miles to watch... heart breaking.

Think Mike Dean v Burnley at Wembley. Did us twice for pens and that after he had done his Peppa Pig / Cadburys Smash belly laughs at our fans in the warm-up. Both pens would have been given.

Posts 212 / 213 / 214

OK Lazarus, we agree to disagree with due respect to each other, and we move on all the better for testing our opinions.

Who cares what others think of Woodwardfan? or of you for that matter. Debate is king and no one opinion is often 100% correct. Now the I dotters and the t crossers, they are usually correct. That's their thing.

Actually I can't find time to read all the footy threads never mind non- footy ones

My view from last night's VAR controversy in the Scotland Womens' game is that the system got the decisions absolutely correct and justice was done.

However, officials need to get up to speed as the system exposes their failings:

1. The ref missed the blatant penalty. VAR corrected her.
2. The ref took an age to explain unnecessarily the rules to the keeper and then to the sets of players on the edge of the box. That is unfair for the penalty taker.
3. While she did that Scotland's No.10 and No.4 were guilty of extreme gamesmanship and should have been booked and then even sent off.
4. The Assistant referee on the bye-line missed the keeper's encroachment beyond the goal-line. VAR corrected her.
5. The referee lost track of added time allowance, playing just over 5 minutes.

Thankfully on this occasion the system benefited the underdogs. Hope for us yet!

The rule for keepers remaining strictly on the goal-line needs review but there is nothing to stop them standing a foot/18 inches behind the line to enable forward momentum before a diving save attempt. Maybe a line 18 inches in front of the goal-line would be sensible though.

Dissent needs attention too.

VAR is exposing weaknesses in the rule book and so many failings by officials. Over the years how much they have missed/ ignored?

Don't want to sound cynical, but can you imagine how much revenue would be generated if they showed ads while the VAR refs considered their decision?

I think we've been duped. 'Fairness' may not be their primary concern

“In 2019/20, VAR will concentrate only on 'match-changing' circumstances; penalties, goals and direct red cards, as well as instances of mistaken identity. Each goal will be checked and when a review is underway, the big screen at grounds - including Bramall Lane - will be used to keep fans involved, with the onus on protecting fans' matchday experience as well as getting the decisions right.” ETC

If they really stick to that I think VAR will be a very good thing and should help protect us from the usual big club bias

P.S. Danny04. It was Rob Styles. Still time to change it before anyone notices 😉

Pleased to see Wilder's comments.

I suspect that even with VAR the Gerrard penalty would have stood. The ref was aware that no contact was made but still awarded the pen for what he saw as a dangerous sliding tackle. There are better examples of how VAR might have helped is in 2006-2007.

I still think that if we get relegated VAR will play a big role. It's the Blades Way.

I suspect that even with VAR the Gerrard penalty would have stood. The ref was aware that no contact was made but still awarded the pen for what he saw as a dangerous sliding tackle. There are better examples of how VAR might have helped is in 2006-2007.

I still think that if we get relegated VAR will play a big role. It's the Blades Way.

I know what you men. One way or another the power of the big boys and human weakness/nature of referees will combine to work against us but let's hope it's a matter of degree.

I'm one for adoption of the rules of the game and VAR has to help. Too many refs choose not to see things when under pressure at the ' Theatre of Dreams' for example ( to quote Graham Poll :rolleyes: )

If the main impetus the technology is at the instigation of the panel rather than the referee then at least the man on the field is under less pressure from 'superstars' and all powerful managers. Fergie would have hated it.

I know what you men. One way or another the power of the big boys and human weakness/nature of referees will combine to work against us but let's hope it's a matter of degree.

I'm one for adoption of the rules of the game and VAR has to help. Too many refs choose not to see things when under pressure at the ' Theatre of Dreams' for example ( to quote Graham Poll :rolleyes: )

If the main impetus the technology is at the instigation of the panel rather than the referee then at least the man on the field is under less pressure from 'superstars' and all powerful managers. Fergie would have hated it.
plus it takes a special kind of person to make an unpopular decision when you have 70000 people baying for your blood.

Wilder seemed very pro VAR when asked in that Biggs interview. Let's see how long that last when Billy's arse barges get a few goals ruled out!

plus it takes a special kind of person to make an unpopular decision when you have 70000 people baying for your blood.

Clattenberg loved to wind up Fergie. Not sure he was 'special' though!! Good ref like Dean but not trustworthy just like Dean.

they get too involved in the game. a bit like me when playing subbuteo with myself. i could bias it so that united would come from 7 nil down to win in the last minute. that's why that Italian guy was so good. he just made the correct decision and moved on. he didn't give a monkeys what anyone thought. he wasn't trying to impress anyone.
i liked Clattenberg. he wouldn't be intimidated. if Fergie hated him then he must have been doing something right??

Back
Top Bottom