Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s Earsham St, just above Carlisle St. The pic was taken from Sutherland Rd end with Lyons St in the background.

There was my gran, two uncles, me, my mum and dad living in a two up, two down. We had the attic. Weren't all bad though, at least we had a pot to piss in at night.
Were you once a script writer for Monty Python? :D

Is your old house on this photo?
View attachment 62851
Sort of. I lived in the left just where the road starts o rise up. Lived above a pub on Carlisle St for a little while then moved to Earsham St. I suppose it was a tiny place but never noticed. A gas ring for cooking chips and an oven in the fireplace for other cooking. There was also a best room that never used.

My grandmother had 16 children of which 14 survived. Every Saturday night maybe 8 aunts and uncles would visit with their husbands or wife's then go to the pub returning later for sandwiches and tea. The house would be packed with my gran sat in her usual chair holding court. Never knew my grandad who died well before I came along. Bit strange as he was never mentioned. One of life's mysterious that I will now never as to why

Sort of. I lived in the left just where the road starts o rise up. Lived above a pub on Carlisle St for a little while then moved to Earsham St. I suppose it was a tiny place but never noticed. A gas ring for cooking chips and an oven in the fireplace for other cooking. There was also a best room that never used.

My grandmother had 16 children of which 14 survived. Every Saturday night maybe 8 aunts and uncles would visit with their husbands or wife's then go to the pub returning later for sandwiches and tea. The house would be packed with my gran sat in her usual chair holding court. Never knew my grandad who died well before I came along. Bit strange as he was never mentioned. One of life's mysterious that I will now never as to why
I had a similar missing Grandad. As far as I was aware he’d been dead for years. Actually, for a lot of my childhood, he was alive. Nothing sinister, he was just a massive cunt and as far as my dad was concerned, he was ‘dead’.

Mynah bird, enormous black cat, can’t have ended well..🐈🦅
No it didn't for 'Blackie'. Due to a population explosion of feral cats in the Castle Market and the disturbance they caused, the powers that be decided to cull all cats found in the market. The edict included 'Blackie' who was a working cat tasked with eradicating vermin at Mace's shop. Adoption would be his only saviour but no one was prepared to take him on. In the end my mother took him home and all was fine for around a month then he went missing. Found him dead, not a mark on him, under a garden hedge on White Lane when taking the kids to see their grandma. Recon he must have been hit whilst crossing White Lane. Mynah bird 1 Cat 0.

No it didn't for 'Blackie'. Due to a population explosion of feral cats in the Castle Market and the disturbance they caused, the powers that be decided to cull all cats found in the market. The edict included 'Blackie' who was a working cat tasked with eradicating vermin at Mace's shop. Adoption would be his only saviour but no one was prepared to take him on. In the end my mother took him home and all was fine for around a month then he went missing. Found him dead, not a mark on him, under a garden hedge on White Lane when taking the kids to see their grandma. Recon he must have been hit whilst crossing White Lane. Mynah bird 1 Cat 0.
R.I.P. Blackie

It’s Earsham St, just above Carlisle St. The pic was taken from Sutherland Rd end with Lyons St in the background.

There was my gran, two uncles, me, my mum and dad living in a two up, two down. We had the attic. Weren't all bad though, at least we had a pot to piss in at night.
Would that be Earsham St east with Thorndon Rd above? Lived on Thorndon me.
Remember those very back yards on the photo. On wash day, we'd wait for someone to hang the bedding out to dry and pelt it with mucky bricks.

Earsham Street is at the bottom of this photo, 1947
View attachment 62852
Bottom left corner, Edgar st. Lad from there was/is a big Blade. Open all hours corner shop out of photo. Below Edgar, towards top right corner, is Thorndon road. Dad had a corrugated garage on the empty patch far left.
Bottom centre Harleston St which ran from Petre St to Carlisle St. Earsham St below Thorndon. Left of Earsham is Atlas St running down to Carlisle st. Shop on t' corner visible, chip oyal opposite. Bare ground below top left corner we set a bonfire 5th November one year, loads of people appeared. Ran out of wood so we lobbed an old setee and some tyres on.
Tyzacks had a factory close by. Street below, we'd play footy all the time.
Just below top left is Carwood hotel I think, then Brown's bridge which goes to Saville st.
Most of the Factory buildings are Firth Brown and Firth Brown tools.

Would that be Earsham St east with Thorndon Rd above? Lived on Thorndon me.
Remember those very back yards on the photo. On wash day, we'd wait for someone to hang the bedding out to dry and pelt it with mucky bricks.

Yes, that's it, but back in the day it was just plain Earsham St. Started off at Lyons St and finished at Spital Hill. And if my mum had caught you throwing mucky bricks over the wall she would have thrown you over that fuckin wall. 😊

Yes, that's it, but back in the day it was just plain Earsham St. Started off at Lyons St and finished at Spital Hill. And if my mum had caught you throwing mucky bricks over the wall she would have thrown you over that fuckin wall. 😊
She'd have had to join the queue.

Bottom left corner, Edgar st. Lad from there was/is a big Blade. Open all hours corner shop out of photo. Below Edgar, towards top right corner, is Thorndon road. Dad had a corrugated garage on the empty patch far left.
Bottom centre Harleston St which ran from Petre St to Carlisle St. Earsham St below Thorndon. Left of Earsham is Atlas St running down to Carlisle st. Shop on t' corner visible, chip oyal opposite. Bare ground below top left corner we set a bonfire 5th November one year, loads of people appeared. Ran out of wood so we lobbed an old setee and some tyres on.
Tyzacks had a factory close by. Street below, we'd play footy all the time.
Just below top left is Carwood hotel I think, then Brown's bridge which goes to Saville st.
Most of the Factory buildings are Firth Brown and Firth Brown tools.

Your description is far better than I could have done. I lived almost opposite Atlas St. The corner shop was, I think, Howard's. Can't for the life of me remember the name of chip oyal but it was only sixpence for chips n a cake. The waste land where the bonfires were held had an air raid shelter. Inside were tin hats and gasmasks that had been left behind after the war. Used to play soldiers wearing them.

I think that's Tommy Hoyland??

Related image
Recon your right, every thing about it says Tommy Hoyland but because of the lighting, his movement and the camera angle it makes you look twice to be sure it's him. W.H.U., Upton Park/Boleyn Ground never got that probably someone can explain that to me, '57-'58 Sept 16 won 0-3. Hoyland hat trick playing inside right. Ampt we been through this before? Maybe Noel Cantwell, left foreground.

Blackie did? Wow.
Believe me that cat had more strings to his bow than was immediately (fu***ng hell, for miss spelling that word had to write it out 500times at school. Still got it wrong, in't spell check great) obvious.

Recon your right, every thing about it says Tommy Hoyland but because of the lighting, his movement and the camera angle it makes you look twice to be sure it's him. W.H.U., Upton Park/Boleyn Ground never got that probably someone can explain that to me, '57-'58 Sept 16 won 0-3. Hoyland hat trick playing inside right. Ampt we been through this before? Maybe Noel Cantwell, left foreground.

It is or was the Boleyn Ground in the Upton Park area of East London. Over time the area name came to be favoured over the actual ground name. It was called Boleyn because a nearby house was reputed to belong to Anne Boleyn.

Believe me that cat had more strings to his bow than was immediately (fu***ng hell, for miss spelling that word had to write it out 500times at school. Still got it wrong, in't spell check great) obvious.
If you can’t spell “fucking”, you’ve got a tough life in front of you...😁

Back
Top Bottom