Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bell Hagg - too far to walk for us Crookes lads.
Tavern - yup.
Sportsman - best of the rest.
Plough - only went in once.

South Seas - I was a tap room local & defo a very odd mix in there.
York - we’d have a couple in there for a change before going back to the Seas.
Fox & Duck - occasional call if it was raining & didn’t fancy going all the way from York to Seas in one go.
Never went in the rest of Broomhill. Funny that.

As a Crookes lad, never really went drinking on therethough the Grindstone was a stop off on the way to Broomhill.
Always found the the Masons Arms really odd.

Will be amazed if we don’t see pubs all over the place not re-open.

You’re obviously an S10 lad - Tapton or King Edwards?

Yep - Masons was a weird locals John Smith’s pub. We were Noah’s Ark regulars in the late 80s/early 90s when John and (I think) Linda had it.

Yep - Masons was a weird locals John Smith’s pub. We were Noah’s Ark regulars in the late 80s/early 90s when John and (I think) Linda had it.

I remember them & I’ve just called my mum who remembers them very well.
Definitely John but mum thinks his wife’s name was Tina - although she was his 2nd wife who was barmaid before she was his wife..... You get the drift.
In fact my mum still says hello to them when she sees them about.

It’s strange because I can see it in my mind’s eye, but with not having been back for over fifty years, I couldn’t place it on a map - you’re most likely right, opposite the Hallamshire. Quite a few High Storrs lads came from Crosspool, and Friday night was always spent at Crosspool YC, after an early couple of halves at the Plough. I lived between Hunter’s Bar and Broomhill then, which meant if I was totally skint I could save the bus fare by walking!

It was definitely on the other corner of the junction - on the left as you come up Lydgate Lane from Crookes.
My mum remembers going in there as my nan used to live right at the top of Lydgate Lane near the Police Station.
Crosspool Youth Club - at St. Columbas? Those were the days.

I remember them & I’ve just called my mum who remembers them very well.
Definitely John but mum thinks his wife’s name was Tina - although she was his 2nd wife who was barmaid before she was his wife..... You get the drift.
In fact my mum still says hello to them when she sees them about.

Yep it might have been Tina, are they both still orange? I just looked on Streetview and the Mason’s is still there!

Yep it might have been Tina, are they both still orange? I just looked on Streetview and the Mason’s is still there!

I was in just before the lockdown.
A new landlord took over last year and upset the locals, who moved en masse to the Noahs.

It had a makeover and isn't a bad little boozer, but its backstreet location will make it hard to pick up new business.
That a d the Cobden are sadly top of my list to go once all this bollocks is over.

Oooh they did like a tan, didn’t they?

I should coco - I drove past the Masons a few weeks ago & thought it looked a bit different.
The Cobden always seemed to have its own little catchment area - lets hope they both somehow survive. Little pubs like them deserve to.

Oooh they did like a tan, didn’t they?

I should coco - I drove past the Masons a few weeks ago & thought it looked a bit different.
The Cobden always seemed to have its own little catchment area - lets hope they both somehow survive. Little pubs like them deserve to.

Many of the proper backstreet pubs have gone, but Crookes still has the Masons , Cobden are the Princess all tucked away. Similarly Walkley has the Raven (formerly Palm Tavern), Blake and Blind Monkey, all of the main drag.

Genuinely 'a pub on every corner', so let's hope they all make it.

That a d the Cobden are sadly top of my list to go once all this bollocks is over.

The Cobden is/was a great little boozer, & became my local from 1986 after a few mates formed a sunday football club run from there. Although I played at a higher standard before that the crack was fantastic there, Stuart Axe was the landlord then & despite having no car & living 2 bus rides away I practically lived there for a few years, & still try & visit when I visit Sheffield.

Many of the proper backstreet pubs have gone, but Crookes still has the Masons , Cobden are the Princess all tucked away. Similarly Walkley has the Raven (formerly Palm Tavern), Blake and Blind Monkey, all of the main drag.

Always popped in The Dennison Arms on way to Blades games at the Sty.

There’s a joke down in Basingstoke where they call the town Basingrad (think Stalingrad), its not meant to be complimentary. Then you see what we did to our city, it certainly wouldn’t look out of place in the old USSR, what were they thinking?

From a similar era as those flats is the classic yellow bin, they seemed to be the only design of bin around back in the eighties. Designed by David Mellor of course there is an example in his museum at Hathersage. There is also one in the church yard at Ecclesall church that is still in use, but there must be a few others remaining.

I've never really been a fan of any of the pubs in Crookes. Not sure why, but I never enjoyed being in any of them. Maybe the Punch Bowl is different now True North have it.

My girlfriend lived on Lydgate Lane, when we met, so went in the Grindstone a few times and that was probably the best of the lot.

I've never really been a fan of any of the pubs in Crookes. Not sure why, but I never enjoyed being in any of them. Maybe the Punch Bowl is different now True North have it.

My girlfriend lived on Lydgate Lane, when we met, so went in the Grindstone a few times and that was probably the best of the lot.

We would sometimes start our friday pub crawl in the Ball but usually it was the South Seas as the 60, 52 and 51 all stopped nearby and we all came from different areas. South Seas, Fox and Duck, York, The Place, Notty, West End, Harley and onto the Cav on West St.

We would be hammered by the time we got to Leadmill haha

Yep - similar for me & hence why we preferred Broomhill.
Had a mate who lives down the bottom of Springdale Rd & we used to swerve in the Closed Shop & the Hallamshire in the way.
Always wondered if they were 2 of the closest pubs in Sheffield - bang across the road from each other.
8528DFF3-D5CB-4243-80EB-52337AA8E218.png

Yep - similar for me & hence why we preferred Broomhill.
Had a mate who lives down the bottom of Springdale Rd & we used to swerve in the Closed Shop & the Hallamshire in the way.
Always wondered if they were 2 of the closest pubs in Sheffield - bang across the road from each other.
Those two are great and I exclude them from my earlier comments, as I make the distinction with them being in Crookesmoor.

Coincidentally after Lydgate Lane, my girlfriend then moved within kidney punching distance of both pubs. Both are (were - I've not been in for years) excellent.

Those two are great and I exclude them from my earlier comments, as I make the distinction with them being in Crookesmoor.

Coincidentally after Lydgate Lane, my girlfriend then moved within kidney punching distance of both pubs. Both are (were - I've not been in for years) excellent.

Some would say they’re in Walkley, some would call the area (as well as the road) Commonside & like you some would call it Crookesmoor.
Either way - both decent boozers back then.

Did your girlfriend have a thing about living near decent pubs?

Some would say they’re in Walkley, some would call the area (as well as the road) Commonside & like you some would call it Crookesmoor.
Either way - both decent boozers back then.

Did your girlfriend have a thing about living near decent pubs?
True...although I'd say Walkley starts as you get up the bend on Howard Road, by the garage.

She must have - although annoyingly, doesn't drink beer. We've since lived within a few minutes walk of The York etc. in Broomhill and now within a few minutes walk of the Broadfield/Two Thirds/Dead Donkey etc.

I have made it a pre-requisite when buying a house that a good pub must be within a 5 minute walk.

Bell Hagg - too far to walk for us Crookes lads.
Tavern - yup.
Sportsman - best of the rest.
Plough - only went in once.

South Seas - I was a tap room local & defo a very odd mix in there.
York - we’d have a couple in there for a change before going back to the Seas.
Fox & Duck - occasional call if it was raining & didn’t fancy going all the way from York to Seas in one go.
Never went in the rest of Broomhill. Funny that.

As a Crookes lad, never really went drinking on therethough the Grindstone was a stop off on the way to Broomhill.
Always found the the Masons Arms really odd.

Will be amazed if we don’t see pubs all over the place not re-open.

You’re obviously an S10 lad - Tapton or King Edwards?
Just to butt in, I was Western Rd Juniors and then King Ted ( but way back)
Does anyone remember 'Bert's College of Knowledge' which was Western Rd Secondary?( or maybe even a Technical College)

True...although I'd say Walkley starts as you get up the bend on Howard Road, by the garage.

She must have - although annoyingly, doesn't drink beer. We've since lived within a few minutes walk of The York etc. in Broomhill and now within a few minutes walk of the Broadfield/Two Thirds/Dead Donkey etc.

I have made it a pre-requisite when buying a house that a good pub must be within a 5 minute walk.
Heavygate Rd was the dividing line.
Uphill from it was Crookes, downhill was Walkley.

I regularly used those phoneboxes outside the GPO in Fitzalan Sq ... mostly for free calls by tapping the phone disconnect bar the same times as the number you were calling... unlimited free calls!
Everybody did this in the 60s. A bit hit or miss but great when it worked. Me and a mate were caught by the local bobby doing this in the phone box at the bottom of the road. We had a stiff telling off and we were lucky not to be taken back to our parents as the retribution would have been much more severe.

Av it......can't beat a bit of footy with a Tango Ball. Craven Cottage 1985

26549420505_fd951d5da6_o.jpg

STILL COLLECTING BLADES FANS TOP 10 FAVOURITE MUSIC TRACKS (SEE THE BLADES TOP 100 THREAD) IN THE ENTERTAINMENT SECTION. PM WITH YOUR FAVOURITE 10

Back
Top Bottom