Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I saw ‘Uriah Heep’ a few months ago in Sheffield. Basically just Mick Box from the original band. Still enjoyed it though. Saw them at the City Hall around the Abominog era and Donnington 1982ish.
Those tickets would be from 1974/75ish. One of the concerts was to promote Wonderworld? album, it was the loudest concert I've ever been to at the City Hall.

Black_Boy.jpg

Still there I pass it regularly, even has a painting of a black boy on its sign. Somebody will no doubt say its racist, like the white horse or yellow lion 🙄

This is an interesting one, Labour in Vain isn't intrinsically racist, but the pictorial interpretation of the name could be seen that way.

This is an interesting one, Labour in Vain isn't intrinsically racist, but the pictorial interpretation of the name could be seen that way.

There's a pub in Lincoln, The Dog and Bone..... formally The Gay Dog.

Have to agree, Tartan one of the worst beers I ever tasted, nearly on par with Watney's Red Barrel. First time I ever got drunk in a pub was on Wards dahn't Cliffe at 17. Went home and spent the night holding on to the bog pan watching the ceiling spin. However, Wards ( a malt not a bitter ) became my favourite.
Yea I probably knew most of them. A mob off the flats used to run a minibus to away games 1974/5/6, I traveled to quite a few with them. It was a mix of lads of school age and older ones who were working but they all knew the way around, if you know what I mean. Some interesting trips were had I can tell you!
I think one time at Hull 76/77ish they attempted to take their Kop which was eventful!

Some good memories as a kid of the flats and the characters of the time, some of them no longer around, either locked up or passed (rip)
That was my heyday 73-83 remember that Hull game well jumped the train special to kick the day off:)

That Blades v. Bradford City match Saturday September 8th 2001. Significant date.

The previous Saturday England beat Germany 5-1 in Germany.

On Monday September 3rd 2001 I sold my business in Cornwall. I'd missed 6 years of watching the Blades. That Bradford game was my first match after moving back up north.

Three days after the Bradford match the Twin Towers were hit. Maybe that day we thought nothing could happen worse in the world.

On 9/11 as it became known I think we played Grimsby in a League cup match.

All taken November 1984
First, below Leopold St/Orchard St

Nov 1984.jpg

Below, Orchard Place off Orchard St. I vaguely remember going with mum when I was youngster to the building down at the end on the right. It was some sort of medical testing clinic.
November 1984.jpg

Below, the entrance alley off Fargate which led to the rear of these buildings. The line of this alley is now roughly the main entrance to Orchard Square.

Alley to rear of Orchard St fargate 0185.jpg

Finally below, the rear of the shops on Leopold St. It's reasonably understandable why they were demolished.

Rear of Leopold St Orchard St 0185.jpg

All taken November 1984

View attachment 75872

Below, Orchard Place off Orchard St. I vaguely remember going with mum when I was youngster to the building down at the end on the right. It was some sort of medical testing clinic.
View attachment 75874

Below, the entrance alley off Fargate which led to the rear of these buildings. The line of this alley is now roughly the main entrance to Orchard Square.

View attachment 75876

Finally below, the rear of the shops on Leopold St. It's reasonably understandable why they were demolished.

View attachment 75878
The second photo is Orchard place. At the end was the back entrance to The Stone House. The third photo is Exchange Gateway.

The second photo is Orchard place. At the end was the back entrance to The Stone House. The third photo is Exchange Gateway.
Yes indeed the second photo is Orchard Place as I wrote. And yes, it was indeed the Stone House rear entrance down at the end. The old clinic was on the right.
As for exchange gateway, was/is that not the alleyway further down Fargate as shown on this old map below? I believe my photo shows the other, smaller alley(now gone) It's alignment with the town hall tower and the fountain would suggest that. Of course, my memory might be playing tricks again. I'm more than happy to be corrected.. 🤔 :)
Screenshot_20200403-211223_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes indeed the second photo is Orchard Place as I wrote. And yes, it was indeed the Stone House rear entrance down at the end. The old clinic was on the right.
As for exchange gateway, was/is that not the alleyway further down Fargate as shown on this old map below? I believe my photo shows the other, smaller alley(now gone) It's alignment with the town hall tower and the fountain would suggest that. Of course, my memory might be playing tricks again. I'm more than happy to be corrected.. 🤔 :)
View attachment 75883
Yes. Didn't notice that you had said it was Orchard Place. Sorry. Must read more thoroughly. Exchange Gateway is still on Fargate and is here below the Midshires sign. It doesn't go as far back as it used to, but it is still there. It is one of Sheffield's forgotten streets.
IMG_0318.PNG

Yes. Didn't notice that you had said it was Orchard Place. Sorry. Must read more thoroughly. Exchange Gateway is still on Fargate and is here below the Midshires sign. It doesn't go as far back as it used to, but it is still there. It is one of Sheffield's forgotten streets.
View attachment 75885
Thanks for the photo. Yes, I too thought Exchange Gateway was still with there. Actually I walked past it only yesterday.
I've still no idea what the name of my alley was. I only know it was the one where I could take my photo number 4 from. Anyway, I'm happy you liked the photos..

Correct. Thought the player in front might be Ringstead, but I'm not sure.
Think it is Bill Toner. Looking at the below video, Hagan comes out first followed by, I think, Cox, Hawksworth (only surviving player in team), Furniss, Browning, Hutchinson, Ringstead, Hitchen , Shaw, Toner and Burgin.

All taken November 1984

View attachment 75872

View attachment 75874

View attachment 75876

View attachment 75878
Brilliant pictures , had a mental block what was the name of the hairdresssers next to wh smiths ? I used to have to back down that yard to deliver his shampoo etc 2nd biggest hairdressers in sheffield after roger Sherwood's

Last refuge of a scoundrel and all that, quoting my own post, but the grey matter worked overnight.

Their brewery tap, across Eccy Road from the brewery, was the Devonshire.
Great pub, my sister worked there for a bit mid-80's. She also did a stint at the Jolly Buffer. OMG, as some people apparently say!

Back
Top Bottom