He maybe a Gooner, but he gets it...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We had Ben Bloom in the Champ, step forward HughWizzy as our top Premier League pundit!

This is the same guy who said [after watching our win v Palace] that we were "the most impressive team after Man City" that he has seen so far.

He hit the nail on the head of something thats been bothering me.
I hadn’t really given a toss about the prem or watched a game for about 4-5 years and going back to it now the coverage is appalling!
They seem to want to talk about anything BUT the actual football
Its all about “incidents” that they can spoon-feed you opinions on.
I’ve listened to Football Weekly and The Totally Football Show today, and both spent longer talking about Jack Grealish’s dive being a travesty (it fucking was a dive - he’s a grown man FFS) than they did talking about our game or what happened.
True.
They spend half the program drawing lines and boxes, where players could have or should have been, analysing if some bodies ankle was offside blah de blah. In that time they could show twice as much of the game as they do.

We saw and heard it so much last season with the likes of Blades Analytics and Beans but also Benjamin Bloom and Colin Murray. None of these are former footballers, mostly they’re just passionate people that Actually watch the game and analyse it.

There are so many tools out there that pundits could use to reinforce their point. I also find myself commenting post match on what I’ve seen, but with a caveat that I might be wrong because often it’s an opinion about a player and things like pass maps and heat maps will prove me wrong, which is great.

I loved the analytics done over the pod last season and I love the stats out there on Twitter and various sites on the internet

What all this means is that if simple folk like us can access basic information, why aren’t the tv stations and pundits...

Research is a wonderful thing
I have a hunch that if they’re paid tens of thousands for their expertise, they might reject factual analysis as it levels the playing field with us plebs, and will tend to make them redundant.

It doesn’t save them from the fact that they end up looking like a bunch of overpaid clueless cunts.

True.
They spend half the program drawing lines and boxes, where players could have or should have been, analysing if some bodies ankle was offside blah de blah. In that time they could show twice as much of the game as they do.

I actually find that rather helpful. I spend so much time watching matches live trying to work out how a player who was stood outside the box magically appeared inside the box, but then I watch the MOTD highlights and they put that nice dotted line showing that the player has moved and then it all makes sense!

Since we were last relegated from the Premiership I've watched MOTD a handful of times, but would watch MOTD2 instead. Adrian Chiles may have looked like a talking Toby Jug, but at least he was unbiased, passionate and came across as a football fan. After he left I stopped watching altogether.

I've only started watching MOTD again this season as I don't have SKY or BT Sports, but I'm already going off it due to the biased editing and analysis, and I'm only interested in our match. I couldn't give a stuff about other matches.

The "highlights" on Saturday showed barely any of our chances on goal in the second half, and the pundits didn't mention anything about how we got back into the game, what Wilder did to change it etc. They just harped on about their beloved Chelsea, because it's a tragedy for one of their precious top four teams to drop points to us, as opposed to a newly promoted team gaining points from a losing position, away from home and embarrassing the hosts in the second half by dominating them.

To hell with all of these pundits. I've no interest in watching and listening to them. I've watched more EFL on Quest this season than MOTD. Why? Colin Murray, that's why.

Give me Colin Murray, this guy and Benjamin Bloom over any of these other so called experts. These guys know their stuff.

Never heard of Wizzy, but he's righter than the rightest right thing!

What a studied and informed show from Hugh, didn't put a foot wrong in his analysis, and is spot on in telling the world that Wilder and the Blades are undervalued and worthy of far more than Crooks (what a perfectly named dullard that berk is!) or the leaden non-achiever Mills come out with. So completely out of tune are these two amateurs, that by comparison Wizzy and good old Ben Bloom are streets ahead in their ability to evaluate exactly why, under Wilder, the Blades are such an exceptional and successful team. Is it any wonder that Wilder was voted as manager of the year by his peers? Consider, both Guardilola and Klopp, considered as the two leading managers in British football, yet Chris Wilder receives the accolade of being hailed as top manager.

I love how we Blades, tongue firmly in cheek, refer to ourselves as 'little old Sheffield United', the irony never passed us by, but neither did the realisation that in appointing Chris Wilder and Alan Knill as our management team we had what so many clubs are desperate to find, two football men who have passion, football intelligence, the ability to spot good players and turn then into far better players who are capable of playing at a level they never thought possible. And all achieved on budgets that the likes of Pep and Jurgen would turn their noses up at. In short, Wilder has achieved miracles on very little. Fast forward, and now we see that Wilder, with the backing of the board, has wasted no time in recruiting players with potential, not perhaps players who cost £30-40 million, but by our historically low-spending standards we've excelled ourselves. We have the best squad I can recall in the last 50 years, and although comparisons show how adrift we are when you look at the likes of Everton or West Ham, this time we did exactly the right thing in spending, and spending intelligently.

He did say we were defensively well organised and we are but we do look much more vulnerable at the back at this level at times and especially will if we have an injury/suspension or two, we cannot get away with sloppiness at this level as we will be punished.....if we had not made 3 defensive errors, Bash against Leicester and the two on Saturday from Hendo and Egan/JOC we would possibly be on 8 points and 3rd in the league!

Most reminds me of top gear.
It's getting more about the presenters and gimmicks, and less about the content.
Not as extreme but on those lines.

Guys like Wizzy should be the kind of pundit that true football fans prefer to listen to on MoTD and Sky. But unless you're a conformist lickspittle, you've got no chance.

Because Lineker had a very good career doesn't make him an expert on the modern game (or worth £1m+ per year). Shearer had an excellent career but - when parachuted into the Newcastle managers job ( despite not having his 'badges') - he lasted 8 games with a win % of 12.5. Danny Mills? Just a Leeds thug who retired from the game ten years ago. Garth Crooks? Box-ticking, pure and simple. Ditto Alex ('Tits & Teeth') Scott. MBE (!) 140 caps for The Lionesses? About the same as a long career in the Scottish Third Division but has now reached her natural level - 'Strictly'.

Wow someone who takes a look at us rather than instantly writing us off. I wonder if it will catch on? ...................... Nah silly we are talking BBC & SKY pundits here who think if you aren't in the top six then you don't exist.

On the one hand I'm bursting with pride when non blades enthusiastically speak about my team and my god like manager but on the other hand I think it plays right into our hands when other fans and pundits think we're basic and agricultural, although other premier league managers will probably do their homework a little better, even though Lampard said we're physical which both me and VAR are happy with, when he said that it sounded condescending

He hit the nail on the head of something thats been bothering me.
I hadn’t really given a toss about the prem or watched a game for about 4-5 years and going back to it now the coverage is appalling!
They seem to want to talk about anything BUT the actual football
Its all about “incidents” that they can spoon-feed you opinions on.
I’ve listened to Football Weekly and The Totally Football Show today, and both spent longer talking about Jack Grealish’s dive being a travesty (it fucking was a dive - he’s a grown man FFS) than they did talking about our game or what happened.
Exactly this

Back
Top Bottom