Midfield options

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ndiayewillalwaysloveyou

Loyal blade ⚔️
Reaction score
It's a positive that'll we have Davies and Slimane back fully fit for the second half of the season as I don't see us buying in this area in the JTW.

Slimane has played nearly every minute for Tunisia this month and Davies has been back training a few weeks now, hopefully he gets minutes in the cup Saturday. Both strong box to box midfielders who could add some quality.

You'd say as it stands our main three in midfield is Hamer, Souza, Brooks so having these two options is better than Norwood, Fleck and Osborn. Could also maybe add Arblaster into the mix!

Last edited:

Would anyone be surprised if Davies is out for the season before the end of February?
If he was I would put it down to bad luck, the guy does not want to be unfit, you seem to take great pleasure in finding the negatives in things SUFC related, can only hope this does not carry through into your private life or I would hope Houston we have lift off

If he was I would put it down to bad luck, the guy does not want to be unfit, you seem to take great pleasure in finding the negatives in things SUFC related, can only hope this does not carry through into your private life or I would hope Houston we have lift off
My ‘gallows approach’ fortunately for my wife and kids only extends to the Blades.

I don’t get pleasure from us being a bit of a shit show, I just don’t need to flower it up and pretend it’s not the case.

I thought Davies would be a good signing, however if he’s never fit then there was no point in signing him.

I’d go under 2.5 starts for Davies, but would love to be proved wrong. If he can keep himself fit and slot in as a midfielder with some nous he’ll be a good asset for next season as well.

I’m not convinced with Slimane personally, but with work on the training ground to help him positionally he can add something.

It’s nice to have some competition in there and as you say, one or two of the old guard can probably move on.

My ‘gallows approach’ fortunately for my wife and kids only extends to the Blades.

I don’t get pleasure from us being a bit of a shit show, I just don’t need to flower it up and pretend it’s not the case.

I thought Davies would be a good signing, however if he’s never fit then there was no point in signing him.
I think he has only had one injury with us so far ? He is a long way off starting a match I guess so let’s see how he progresses

To be fair to Davies.. he's played 180 games (starts and subs) and he's 25.

I dont think he was ever an injury prone? Maybe wrong but he's been available for alot games at a young age.

It's a positive that'll we have Davies and Slimane back fully fit for the second half of the season as I don't see us buying in this area in the JTW.

Slimane has played nearly every minute for Tunisia this month and Davies has been back training a few weeks now, hopefully he gets minutes in the cup Saturday. Both strong box to box midfielders who could add some quality.

You'd say as it stands our main three in midfield is Hamer, Souza, Brooks so having these two options is better than Norwood, Fleck and Osborn. Could also maybe add Arblaster into the mix!
Definitely add Arblaster into the mix. Wilder's been dropping some big hints about him lately. Could just be blowing smoke up his arse to get him to sign a new contract but I don't think that's Wilder's style.

I think he has only had one injury with us so far ? He is a long way off starting a match I guess so let’s see how he progresses
I’m happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he improves us in some way this season.

I’d say that a good measure of his fitness would be his availability to play in first team matches rather than the number of injuries he’s had though.

I’m happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he improves us in some way this season.

I’d say that a good measure of his fitness would be his availability to play in first team matches rather than the number of injuries he’s had though.
Given the length of his contract he should be able to provide the answer one way or another !

Not convinced on Slimane but equally he hasn't had a much game time.

He was one of the first to land in the summer too so fitness wise you'd think he would have been ok.

Davies in theory should offer us something. At one point he was a regular player for Everton and whilst they were doing ok too. But he has lost his way in his career.
My gut feeling is Davies will take a bit of time to get going. I wouldn't be surprised that we don't see the best of him till next season. And not much of him this.

As for Norwood, Fleck and Osborn.

I feel for Fleck he's been hampered with injuries since our 2nd season in PL under wilder which does make his renewal in the summer seem unwise. And he barely featured last season. Great player for us before but now time has ran it's course.

Norwood offers something when on form but that form has been missing for a year overall. Another great player for us overall but again time now to move on.

Osborn, always puts in a shift and a great team player to have in terms of playing anywhere. If we are back in champ, I'd maybe give him another year possibly. But again had some injuries too...

To be fair to Davies.. he's played 180 games (starts and subs) and he's 25.

I dont think he was ever an injury prone? Maybe wrong but he's been available for alot games at a young age.

Injury prone no, but before joining us hasn't played for a while. I think once he gets a run of games he'll be fine.

Best type of ability is avail-ability....

Just ask McBurnie, Brewster, RND, Davies, Bogle - the list goes on...

All plays into the utter farce of a sporting programme we've been running for the past couple of years!

Back on the subject, if you rolled all our midfielders mentioned above into one, you might just about have one PL level midfielder... It's been a weakness for years and we show no sign of addressing it...

Our strongest midfield seems to be Hamer, Souza, Brooks but when they tire we don't have great options to bring on in their place.

Maybe having Davies, Slimane and Arblaster will give us some decent options off the bench in games when our current midfield start to tire.

Back
Top Bottom