Pretend we're rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven Prem quality players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pretend we're rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven Prem quality players?

• Yes

Votes: 145 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 82 36.1%

• Total voters
At -10pts it seems very risky to break FFP. At -6pts it's less risky. If we could afford to "do a Forest" but be deducted 6 points in the process, would you?
Absolutely yes.

But look at Portsmouth I hear people say. We've been just as shit as them without the FA cup win and European football.

If we are smart we could do a Leicester and just dump the debt on hard pushed local businesses twice and just go again.

Bring on the financially mad party I say.

Would you sell your house and 'invest' it in a football club ?

Fans expect owners to do such though.
Poor owners, I'll be up all night with anxiety thinking about how some mega rich bloke who's bored enough to want to invest in football has too much expected of him. Where's the humanity?

History suggests we're better with decent players who perform together as a side, and it tends to go to cock when we try to sign anyone for decent money (although signing shite with that money hasn't helped).

Maybe the poll should be "Pretend we're rich, have a manager with a proven track record for making big money signings, and that big money signings want to move to Sheffield". Still a no from me though

“History suggests we're better with decent players”

Can’t argue with that logic……..

I kinda want to agree Swiss, but in reality, the coverage, recognition and success of football nowadays is directly linked to the Premier league (the old first division)
The ultimate success was gauged by how you were performing against first division sides, and sadly, that is still the case :(
Do coverage or recognition count for much?

There is no way in this lifetime we would ever get done for overspending so we don't really need to concern ourselves with FFP.
True, it will never happen with us.

Does anyone at SUFC actually possess a FFP Rule Book, let alone read it ?

“History suggests we're better with decent players”

Can’t argue with that logic……..
Not recent history ! The team that came 9th was a great team but had few ”decent” players at PL level.
Next season we purchased”decent”players and away we went.

No. That would include cheating and illegalities which would finish any club off.
Loads of clubs have been done by UEFA for FFP across Europe, aswell as clubs domestically in England and None of these clubs were finished off because of it.

Loads of clubs have been done by UEFA for FFP across Europe, aswell as clubs domestically in England and None of these clubs were finished off because of it.
They were not breaking the countries’ laws so no illegalities. Imagine what would happen if a club defrauded HMRC or the PL of millions.
The original point made was that anything goes in attempting to win. In my view some things are not acceptable.

Not recent history ! The team that came 9th was a great team but had few ”decent” players at PL level.
Next season we purchased”decent”players and away we went.
Lets be honest, for all the millions we've spent in our 3 recent PL seasons, how many of those players had any proven ability at this level? Ramsdale maybe? That's about it. There's a big difference between buying expensive players and buying expensive decent players.

They were not breaking the countries’ laws so no illegalities. Imagine what would happen if a club defrauded HMRC or the PL of millions.
The original point made was that anything goes in attempting to win. In my view some things are not acceptable.
Who’s on about defrauding the HMRC or the PL? or breaking countries laws? And where does the original point say anything goes in attempting to win?? It doesn’t say that at all…

It’s clear by the thread title “pretend we’re rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven prem quality players?’ It’s clear what is meant is buying players above our means and breaking the premier leagues Financial Fair Play, not defrauding HMRC or breaking countries laws.

Remember it’s “pretend we are rich”.. a hypothetical scenario where a rich billionaire buys us and buys us top premier league players so we can compete in the premier league, and in doing so we get docked 6 pts, yes just 6pts because of breaking the FFP rule.

I know it’s hypothetical and would never happen but there is actual Blades who wouldn’t be up for it? Wow 😮

No fans don't, they just expect a person/company that invest in a FC to be able/have the financial means to do so. If not don't invest.

Stoke City level of investment ? though the word investment can often be confused with the word loss.

The Coates family has poured £338m into Stoke City since resuming ownership in 2006, football finance experts Swiss Ramble estimate.

How is Stoke Cities 'investment' paying off ?

Are their fans happy with this level of investment ?

No fans don't, they just expect a person/company that invest in a FC to be able/have the financial means to do so. If not don't invest.
It's not an investment. The expectation from some fans, is that somebody will spend loads of money as a hobby, happy for it being down the drain.

Any other sport, you cheat and you're kicked out of the tournament.

You don't see a drug cheating gold medallist in the Olympics being downgraded to a silver. They get the medal taken off them and told not to come back.

A six point deduction is hardly a punishment if your overspending can buy you a few extra wins in a season.

If there's no integrity, there's no level playing field. So coming back to the original question - it's a no from me and the punishment for doing so should be much more severe. Get kicked out of the league and start again in whichever league will accept your registration.

Would you sell your house and 'invest' it in a football club ?

Fans expect owners to do such though.

You’re talking like football owners inherit clubs by chance.

If you don’t have the means or the desire to subsidise a football club, the simple solution is not to own a football club.

At -10pts it seems very risky to break FFP. At -6pts it's less risky. If we could afford to "do a Forest" but be deducted 6 points in the process, would you?

If we had been promoted on the back of our entire first team being loan players and those that were out of contract, necessitating "doing a Forest", then I might consider "doing a Forest"

Whereas I’ve been heartened by the number of Blades with a sense of integrity. But it takes all sorts, I suppose.
If in this pretend world Elon Musk buys us and wants to compete for the Champions League, money no object and quickly buys Hasland, Mbappe, De Brunye, Grealish, Van Dijk and more… we romp the premier league by 15 points BUT are deducted 6 points because we have broke FFP rules… big deal, still champs lol

We are all ecstatic, dreams come true and all that.

Then we have you and some others who frawn upon this winning the league malarkey because we have spent more than we have earned.. proper disgusted you are and clamour for us to sell them all and buy Chupa Akpom who is back in the Championship and has scored 16 in 17 games, get him signed instead ffs for 9.5 million and show integrity

Lying bastards, nothing but lying bastards 😂😂😂

Sign 10 McBurnie's, 10 Berge's, 10 Brewsters, 10 Hamers,

Yeah, alright.
Develop a style of play, sort the scouting of players abilities out and their ability to fit into our style of play first and maybe then it would be worthwhile.

If in this pretend world Elon Musk buys us and wants to compete for the Champions League, money no object and quickly buys Hasland, Mbappe, De Brunye, Grealish, Van Dijk and more… we romp the premier league by 15 points BUT are deducted 6 points because we have broke FFP rules… big deal, still champs lol

We are all ecstatic, dreams come true and all that.

Then we have you and some others who frawn upon this winning the league malarkey because we have spent more than we have earned.. proper disgusted you are and clamour for us to sell them all and buy Chupa Akpom who is back in the Championship and has scored 16 in 17 games, get him signed instead ffs for 9.5 million and show integrity

Lying bastards, nothing but lying bastards 😂😂😂
There are actually quite a lot of us who wouldn’t want to be Man City. But I’m fairly sure that you wouldn’t be able to understand why that might be.

At 10 points it’s not risky. It’s 3 wins and a draw which if you spend the money these lot have it’s easy to claw back.

Stoke City level of investment ? though the word investment can often be confused with the word loss.

The Coates family has poured £338m into Stoke City since resuming ownership in 2006, football finance experts Swiss Ramble estimate.

How is Stoke Cities 'investment' paying off ?

Are their fans happy with this level of investment ?
Another up an at 'em club with a "certain style" of playing, with better players than us admittedly, but still ridiculed for their abrasive and direct approach

If we were in it for the trophies we..... well we wouldn't still be here would we?

Memories and moments >> trophies bought through having richer owners
Clearly no Blade is in it for the trophies, but I wouldn’t mind seeing us win one or more, if we had to slightly bend financial fair play rules to do so then it’s not like we’ve committed war crimes.

Back
Top Bottom