How do football bans work,anyone been banned before?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nearly called in there a few months ago on a day out round South Derbys but some of the others didn't fancy it
Go half mile down the road to elvaston Castle.
There's a pub called Harrington Arms it's a blades boozer.

Probably been done a hundred times before on here and elsewhere, but since this seems to be the thread for it, can anyone, genuinely, explain to me the appeal of fighting over football?

There's been a ton of tit for tat over the last 6 pages accusing people of glorifying it, which is denied, but then the same deniers talk about "good lads" and "top blokes." I might be a bit naive, as a child of the 80's/90's who has never really encountered this side of football, but I really don't understand how you can speak in such positive terms about people who went to football looking to engage in physical violence with opposing fans?

To me, and I honestly don't mean this as a personal attack on anyone in this thread, anyone who does that is as far from being a "good lad" as you can get. They cause stress and misery for other fans, and all it seems to achieve is that they get nicked/banned/locked up (delete as applicable).

derbysufc you seem like a bit of an authority on the subject. I guess you were a bit of a naughty lad back in the day so please, explain to me, a 37 year old who has been following the Blades for nearly 30 years without ever getting involved in any violence, what is/was the appeal of it? Personally, if I was at a match, anywhere, watching United, and I saw something kicking off, I would high-tail it in the opposite direction as fast as I could. If that makes me less of a Blade in your eyes, then fair enough, but again, I just don't see the appeal.

I love the tribalism of football. I love that for 90+ minutes I can sing, scream and shout in support of my team, and against whoever we are playing. I just don't see the need to carry that on outside the ground afterwards. I'd much rather have a beer with opposing fans after a game, and discuss the match that we've just watched.

I'm not too far from Borrowash, can walk it in 25 mins. I know the place well so I will check it out as I'm up Spondon a fair bit.
Incidicdently, Ben Osborne is from spondon/ Borrowash area and bug rumours here he's joining derby his hometown club
Think the lads that are running/Co-own the bar are Blades by default through their friendship with Ben.

Think the lads that are running/Co-own the bar are Blades by default through their friendship with Ben.
If you know Ben? I work with his best mate
Ginger Matt . Spondon bloke .
I spend most of my odd nights out which haven't been for along time around the
FIVE LAMPS area of derby . 3 or 4 decent real ale pubs , no trouble .

Probably been done a hundred times before on here and elsewhere, but since this seems to be the thread for it, can anyone, genuinely, explain to me the appeal of fighting over football?

There's been a ton of tit for tat over the last 6 pages accusing people of glorifying it, which is denied, but then the same deniers talk about "good lads" and "top blokes." I might be a bit naive, as a child of the 80's/90's who has never really encountered this side of football, but I really don't understand how you can speak in such positive terms about people who went to football looking to engage in physical violence with opposing fans?

To me, and I honestly don't mean this as a personal attack on anyone in this thread, anyone who does that is as far from being a "good lad" as you can get. They cause stress and misery for other fans, and all it seems to achieve is that they get nicked/banned/locked up (delete as applicable).

derbysufc you seem like a bit of an authority on the subject. I guess you were a bit of a naughty lad back in the day so please, explain to me, a 37 year old who has been following the Blades for nearly 30 years without ever getting involved in any violence, what is/was the appeal of it? Personally, if I was at a match, anywhere, watching United, and I saw something kicking off, I would high-tail it in the opposite direction as fast as I could. If that makes me less of a Blade in your eyes, then fair enough, but again, I just don't see the appeal.

I love the tribalism of football. I love that for 90+ minutes I can sing, scream and shout in support of my team, and against whoever we are playing. I just don't see the need to carry that on outside the ground afterwards. I'd much rather have a beer with opposing fans after a game, and discuss the match that we've just watched.
I'm no authority on any kind of trouble but as s football lover who's been to thousands of matches I've witnessed much and learnt many lessons.
I never went looking for trouble and have mates at many many many clubs.
I learned how to avoid certain situations but also if I saw blades getting attacked I piled in there.
It also isn't just a football think .
Watch boxing and the fights in the crowd.
Same basketball abroad.
If you were at f.c den-haag v blades in 2006 like I was there you might understand that sometimes you have to look after yourself and each blades.
We were swamped in a bowling alley by 100s of den haag .
Sad thing is after the game all blades were back to Amsterdam. I'd been in Rotterdam for 5 nights but stayed in den haag thst night ...let's just say I had to have my fastest trainers on as I was chased everywhere .
I didn't look or ask for it but sure glad I wasn't caught.

Fanny.

Edit: was said tongue in cheek

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

I don't understand this 'code' that people seem to think existed in the 70's and 80's that's now disappeared because people do Coke. The only thing that's changed is you've now grown up and realised that fighting at football games is stupid. The people doing it now are you, 30 or 40 years ago. There's no difference. You just want there to be a difference to make what you were doing seem more romantic than what it was. Pissed up blokes involved in public violence for thrills
You've gone and ruined it now

Argos car park? Well either Sainsburys or Meadowhall car park.

Sort the wheat from the chaff. Anyone wants to bring it on top with me and you'll feel the full force of my rattle round your bonce.

Thread full of beta fannies.

I don't understand this 'code' that people seem to think existed in the 70's and 80's that's now disappeared because people do Coke. The only thing that's changed is you've now grown up and realised that fighting at football games is stupid. The people doing it now are you, 30 or 40 years ago. There's no difference. You just want there to be a difference to make what you were doing seem more romantic than what it was. Pissed up blokes involved in public violence for thrills
This! I don't get why "cokeheads" make football violence today in some way worse than it used to be.

To Johnny-average-fan...do you really differentiate between 2 opposing crowds of morons...the ones that are on coke are somehow "worse" than the ones that haven't had a sniff? Seems very strange to me.

Edit...I've done coke. Quite a lot of it at times. At no time did it make me more likely to have a fight with someone. The opposite in fact. It was more likely to make me want to talk someone's ear off about utterly nonsensical bollocks.

I'm no authority on any kind of trouble but as s football lover who's been to thousands of matches I've witnessed much and learnt many lessons.
I never went looking for trouble and have mates at many many many clubs.
I learned how to avoid certain situations but also if I saw blades getting attacked I piled in there.
It also isn't just a football think .
Watch boxing and the fights in the crowd.
Same basketball abroad.
If you were at f.c den-haag v blades in 2006 like I was there you might understand that sometimes you have to look after yourself and each blades.
We were swamped in a bowling alley by 100s of den haag .
Sad thing is after the game all blades were back to Amsterdam. I'd been in Rotterdam for 5 nights but stayed in den haag thst night ...let's just say I had to have my fastest trainers on as I was chased everywhere .
I didn't look or ask for it but sure glad I wasn't caught.
Didn't really answer my question though. You cite boxing and basketball as examples of other sports where people get violent, but I still don't understand the appeal of it. Boxing I guess I could vaguely understand...you're there to watch 2 people beat the hell out of each other. But boxing fandom is rife with drugs (particularly coke) which kind of cancels out your point that coke has ruined football fandom.

I admit I know fuck all about basketball, so that might be a whole other argument.

Didn't really answer my question though. You cite boxing and basketball as examples of other sports where people get violent, but I still don't understand the appeal of it. Boxing I guess I could vaguely understand...you're there to watch 2 people beat the hell out of each other. But boxing fandom is rife with drugs (particularly coke) which kind of cancels out your point that coke has ruined football fandom.

I admit I know fuck all about basketball, so that might be a whole other argument.
Sorry geezer, I'm old skool coming up to 56 and watched football allover the world !
Before I crack on , step son is 20. A fukin horrible kid / adult never worked and steals to fund his drugs. He's never had to fight for owt in life , he's fukt off his head on drugs , coppers every night the drugs have fukt him up.
When I first started watching football we had hero's to me like iron bar jack , big Herman, Irish Joe, people who had the odd pint and stood on kop , sang for the blades and stopped another mob taking the kop over.
They also had manners and respect .
This new coke head lot have none, up the nose and pretend hard geezers.
Boxing is about location/ city .
Leeds , Manchester, Sheffield adrenaline due to local fighter .
Basketball trouble is rife , Google- aek Athens v panithanicus in Greece same most baltic countries .
I for one avoid shit or trouble but as well travelled football lad I've seen much changes and coke up the nose is a big chunk of the issue .

Sorry geezer, I'm old skool coming up to 56 and watched football allover the world !
Before I crack on , step son is 20. A fukin horrible kid / adult never worked and steals to fund his drugs. He's never had to fight for owt in life , he's fukt off his head on drugs , coppers every night the drugs have fukt him up.
When I first started watching football we had hero's to me like iron bar jack , big Herman, Irish Joe, people who had the odd pint and stood on kop , sang for the blades and stopped another mob taking the kop over.
They also had manners and respect .
This new coke head lot have none, up the nose and pretend hard geezers.
Boxing is about location/ city .
Leeds , Manchester, Sheffield adrenaline due to local fighter .
Basketball trouble is rife , Google- aek Athens v panithanicus in Greece same most baltic countries .
I for one avoid shit or trouble but as well travelled football lad I've seen much changes and coke up the nose is a big chunk of the issue .
Good old Bri and Joe Irish 👍 see em every match boozing.

Herman was a good friend , must be 20 years now since he passed .
Iron bar a legend sadly passed .
All what made me attend football all characters . It was the floodlights on a night game and characters I got to know.
Jowett and Bill brealy 2 mega characters.
These lot looked after me when I was young in the 70s and I've been round the world with these .

You won't remember this fella .
Can't quote the year exactly without checking my albums as I've recorded every match I've attended.
Around 1986 , millwall I'm fairly sure played at Leeds? They decided on the way home to call in sheffield and a millwall fan Anthony Godfrey died on arundel gate near the roxy nightclub.
Blades lads got the blame for this but it was a fight between millwall and sheffield drinkers.
I was in the mulberry .
Couple weeks later blades were at crystal palace last game of the season , the season after Brighton away last game.
Rumour was millwall were to attack the blades at crystal palace in revenge.
I'd gone down by train and probably a thousand blades in the away end .
The away end then at palace was an open end , right were there so called ultras stand now.
All game to our left a large group of millwall were giving it big behind a fence thet separates both supports.
Fairly sure it ended 1-1.
After the game millwall tried to attack the blades outside crystal palace - Selhurst Park.
Blades mobbed together and battered millwall and I'm including normal fans in this as we were targets . Traffic cones the lot planks of wood flying around and innocent blades getting targeted.
We had a few years rivalry with millwall but they eventually apologised.....the lsd who got killed in sheffield tried to drop kick someone and smashed his head open died on the spot ..it wasn't blades related.
I met a few millwall in Munich when england won 5-1 v Germany and all that history was dropped.

My Mrs was good friends with Herman/ John's wife
I heard he had died, I’d not seen him probably since the 90s. Some size to him and not someone you’d want to mess with but a genuinely top bloke.

I remember him back in the 70s, and the Shoreham boot boys - SRA, when they came onto an away terrace, the likes of him, little Herman, Ronnie and all that crowd. Actually made you feel abit safer at certain grounds. They were Sheff Utds hooligans before there was such a term.

I heard he had died, I’d not seen him probably since the 90s. Some size to him and not someone you’d want to mess with but a genuinely top bloke.

I remember him back in the 70s, and the Shoreham boot boys - SRA, when they came onto an away terrace, the likes of him, little Herman, Ronnie and all that crowd. Actually made you feel abit safer at certain grounds. They were Sheff Utds hooligans before there was such a term.
Herman / John Derbyshire mate died nearly 20 years ago. Brilliant bloke so friendly honest caring and kind .
Must have been 7 foot tall , hands like shovels but heart of gold.
A real legend .

Going back to that millwall incident in 86.
I'm ex handsworth.
Millwall actually played at West Brom away and detoured from the midlands rather than head to London and looked for the blades.
They ended up in a mini bus in Woodhouse.
They picked on the wrong people and alot of millwall got seriously injured.
This was all started by a non footballing occurrence outside old roxy.

Back
Top Bottom