How do football bans work,anyone been banned before?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Torquay away in 81/82 I was 14
Same vale, York, darlo, everywhere thst season I was mental for the blades .
I got took on by the older blades for my passion . I did 3 paper rounds to fund it.
No cameras, no police about after getting off trains but alot of surprises.
Tranmere. Hartlepool, Vale,
Happy days but time has evolved.
I was at all those games. Did.lots of away games that season, sometimes not going home after clubbing Friday night, straight into a van often with a stop-off somewhere on the way.

True that there was no coke around in those days, but plenty of people took amphetamines (speed). Perhaps there were also plenty of wankers around back then, but we look on the past with rose-tinted specs.

An example.
Derby lads used to drink in the Neptune, jorricks and saddler Gate.
Sometimes the white horse near the bus station or metros.
There all in 50s in age.
Now they go the Bedford Arms at stockbrook about a mile from city centre. The reason is even though none are involves in trouble, there's a stigma attached and the police never leave them alone.

I was at all those games. Did.lots of away games that season, sometimes not going home after clubbing Friday night, straight into a van often with a stop-off somewhere on the way.

True that there was no coke around in those days, but plenty of people took amphetamines (speed). Perhaps there were also plenty of wankers around back then, but we look on the past with rose-tinted specs.
Very similar to me but I didn't involve my life around drugs.
I preferred to travel alone by train everywhere as I knew I would be OK.
I remember 1986 the roxy nightclub , blades revival , we had derby away at baseball ground 3 days later and 4 to 5,000 blades turned up .
Trouble everywhere on the way back to the station so I walked solo into a pub still there now and had a few beers to avoid the shit. We had attached 4 x times our normally support in 3 days.
As said though , you had no cameras cctv back then , to protect you.
My theory was go alone not mob handed.
I drank in every pub I was told not to drink in and I saw myself as no threat to anyone but sometimes it went wrong.
Home games I was a cunt , I hated seeing away fans come thinking they'd took sheffield over ..

The bit that I struggle with is the chance that wanting a scrap over football can impact someone’s entire future as well as family and loved ones.

I’d consider myself a ‘pussy’ when it comes to fighting, however I have no shame in this.
I've never fought at football, I've had minor scrapes, arguments at weddings etc with supporters of other clubs but I've never once felt need to fight anyone solely on basis of a football rivalry. So I can't speak from experience on the phenomenon of football violence but there is similarities with my own experiences and I'll try and make a connection between the two.

Men fight, we hunt, we kill, we fight the wars, we bring the bread home. It all sounds very manly because it is, its the bare minimum of what we got put on this planet to do. That's our role in the social structure, to provide and protect. Over time all the things iv listed have become obsolete, not socially acceptable, frowned upon unless there is an actual war, say if there was a draft, young men's natural willingness to be violent would be praised, hero's welcome all that.

When you mentioned joining military as an alternative that's one of the thing we've been speaking about, whether this is correct I don't know but it made a bit of sense to me. (Hence the need to fight wars comment)

People don't feel the same affinity with the country like they did in past, when it use to be rally round the flag, fight for your country etc. After ww2 and the relative peace afterwards, we got to an age of discontent (I'm trying my hardest here to explain something I barely understand so please bare with me) where people felt disenfranchised and the importance of the local football club took on a life of its own. Think older posters saying they went to watch both Sheffield teams and then it stopped. A line was drawn in the sand and sides were picked, your either a Blade or an Owl. The friendliness stops and the tribalism appears, the violence begins. The youth have found there war! It's every Saturday, you've found your army, you belong with them, your somebody now. You have a meaning, you have lads who will fight tooth and nail for you, its a good feeling. Once you've been on end of a kicking, been turned over at home, had a friend badly injured etc the rivalry becomes a separate entity and becomes personal to you, scorelines never ment much from what iv heard from people who were about them days.

I can to a degree understand the 70s/80s these days not so much.

Whether any of the drivel iv just typed is even remotely close to being true I don't have a fucking clue. I do believe we are violent by nature and there's no changing that. While people can't channel there violence they will find other avenues to use it.

I know this post has gone off a tangent from "having a beer and if it comes on top it comes on top" but it's a discussion I'm really interested in and thought I'd share what iv been trying to learn.

The most stupid thing I did back in the 80s was go on the Millwall home end. My mates told me that everyone was going on. Cash turnstile in those days, and I was the first through. I waited for my mates, and waited, and waited, but no one else came through. They all went on the away end. They thought it was right funny.

I ended up explaining to a copper that I was a Sheff U fan who'd gone on the home end by mistake. He looked shocked, but walked me along the side of the pitch to the away end. My mates were pissing themselves.

Anyone remember early 80s on home matchdays a newspaper , the blades news ?
I distributed them out as it got me a free home ticket for South stand .
I was a west terrace lsd but heyyy free match ticket for 2 hours work.
Remember millwall coming the lane and swear to god they had a plan!
One paid while one went thru the turnstiles under the paying ones legs .
I saw Roughly 40 millwall fans get in the ground for the price of 20.
They all sat in the south stand .looked hard as fuk but no trouble.

Reactions: Dkc
Anyone remember early 80s on home matchdays a newspaper , the blades news ?
I distributed them out as it got me a free home ticket for South stand .
I was a west terrace lsd but heyyy free match ticket for 2 hours work.
Remember millwall coming the lane and swear to god they had a plan!
One paid while one went thru the turnstiles under the paying ones legs .
I saw Roughly 40 millwall fans get in the ground for the price of 20.
They all sat in the south stand .looked hard as fuk but no trouble.
Blades fans were doing this in massive numbers in the 80's/90's too.

I don't go to football to fight or attack people, yet you've branded me a "hooligan"!??

I'm not the silly one.
What? Read the thread bright spark, you are the one who felt the need to reply to me, branding ME a hooligan from my very first post. Then after about 4 or 5 reply’s later I said I may have assumed you were a hooligan with all your chat and defence of the subject from yourself, but this is at the end of the conversation, many reply’s from the beginning where you said I was saying I was one of the lads and describing being a hooligan. So if your clinging to something later in the conversation after making a fool of yourself from the start then so be it.

I don't understand this 'code' that people seem to think existed in the 70's and 80's that's now disappeared because people do Coke. The only thing that's changed is you've now grown up and realised that fighting at football games is stupid. The people doing it now are you, 30 or 40 years ago. There's no difference. You just want there to be a difference to make what you were doing seem more romantic than what it was. Pissed up blokes involved in public violence for thrills

How does that work then?

I don't go out looking for trouble and i've not had a fight since the school yard when i was 12yo
Got bullied at school, defended myself, left school, went to boxing academy, the Brazilian ju-jitsu, learnt how to defend myself.

We all grew up in different places and situations, we all have different views on things.
Nobody is right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Last edited:

I don't understand this 'code' that people seem to think existed in the 70's and 80's that's now disappeared because people do Coke. The only thing that's changed is you've now grown up and realised that fighting at football games is stupid. The people doing it now are you, 30 or 40 years ago. There's no difference. You just want there to be a difference to make what you were doing seem more romantic than what it was. Pissed up blokes involved in public violence for thrills
Maybe if they all switched to coke zero they wouldnt be so angry all the time.

That's generally what I think too, but there are a few differences. Mentioned before that coke wasn't a thing, though there were drugs around. Can't remember 'beer showers' back then, where everyone launches their pints in the air. No one had a phone of course, no social media so people didn't film themselves acting the twat all the time. If you got nicked you could expect to get a bit of a kicking from the police. Definitely a few racists around back then too, BNP etc. You'd also see various youth cultures - hardcore punks, heavy rockers, skins etc at the games.

Nowt to hide fella .
I live a life of peace, yes correct regards operation but it don't stop me posting on here when people don't get it , how it was .
All the best .
De24 blade.
Owd op go mate , read through all the thread and can relate to a lot of it

Where abouts pal ?
We use the Harrington Arms at thulstan , it's run by a Woodhouse blade ( no names ) and decorated in blades memorabilia.
The brunswick is run by a pig.
I know derby inside out so if you can name me the pub I can go check it out.

Where abouts pal ?
We use the Harrington Arms at thulstan , it's run by a Woodhouse blade ( no names ) and decorated in blades memorabilia.
The brunswick is run by a pig.
I know derby inside out so if you can name me the pub I can go check it out.
It’s a micro bar in Borrowash, Lonely boy. You might even catch little Ben in there from time to time, he Co-owns it.

It’s a micro bar in Borrowash, Lonely boy. You might even catch little Ben in there from time to time, he Co-owns it.
Nearly called in there a few months ago on a day out round South Derbys but some of the others didn't fancy it

I'm not too far from Borrowash, can walk it in 25 mins. I know the place well so I will check it out as I'm up Spondon a fair bit.
Incidicdently, Ben Osborne is from spondon/ Borrowash area and bug rumours here he's joining derby his hometown club

Back
Top Bottom