Transfers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I worry that after today's results Wilder's transfer plans will be reduced both in terms of the budget given and also the willingness of players coming given we look almost relegated already. I can't see many decent championship players wanting to come as they may as well wait to see what their options are in the summer, which may be better than joining us, and then likely ending up back in the championship next season if they join us.

Last edited:

100% agree. If you ignore Everton & look at Forest as potentially catchable - we are now effectively 9 points adrift due to crap goal difference. Plus we now have a Wilder outburst publically slagging off the players.

Any decent Championship players out there will look at us as a ‘train smash’. With 14 players out of contract & with McAtee back to City and Archer back to Villa and with our parachute money already accounted for(suposedly?)….. Wilder is going to have to be a miracle worker to make us competitive in the Championship next season. What we desperately need are proper leaders on the pitch and a strong keeper who will push us up the pitch.

Hopefully ‘The Prince’ will somehow still give Wilder some limited backing starting in January to rebuild this squad for next season. This has to start now…. Not in June as our abysmal preseason is the main reason we are in this mess now.

100% agree. If you ignore Everton & look at Forest as potentially catchable - we are now effectively 9 points adrift due to crap goal difference. Plus we now have a Wilder outburst publically slagging off the players.

Any decent Championship players out there will look at us as a ‘train smash’. With 14 players out of contract & with McAtee back to City and Archer back to Villa and with our parachute money already accounted for(suposedly?)….. Wilder is going to have to be a miracle worker to make us competitive in the Championship next season. What we desperately need are proper leaders on the pitch and a strong keeper who will push us up the pitch.

Hopefully ‘The Prince’ will somehow still give Wilder some limited backing starting in January to rebuild this squad for next season. This has to start now…. Not in June as our abysmal preseason is the main reason we are in this mess now.
I don’t know if it has already been counted for in the sense we were getting if down but extra revenue for staying up but do have the £18million buy back from Villa for Archer be interesting to see what happens there

Anyone thinking the best way to sort the mess created by the summers inept transfer policy is to save any spending for the summer is seriously wrong.

It would be a huge error to stick with this lot and carry on with the trajectory we have set and drag the club and its performances lower still, then bringing in pretty much a new squad over the summer for a tilt at getting up again.
Why? Well it’s obvious the Prince will still be the owner. Signing players is slow…it drags…we haggle like a third world market stall holder and on that basis alone would end up in the same boat as we were in the summer. Unprepared for the start of the season, with a squad of unfit players.

We HAVE to start now. We need to get in as many as we can next month and move on as many as the manager has identified as not being good enough going forwards.

I’m really hoping we are looking at 2 keepers (one now, one in summer)
Left and right full back- this depends on contracts and the returning ability of RND.
Centre half- Anel is good enough, but Robbonis nothing more than a kick it and clear it defender. We need much better. We need replacements for Egan & Bash
Centre Mid- I would send McAtee back. He can’t keep us up, and won’t be a permanent signing. Get someone in to replace him we will be keeping. Fleck/Ozzy/Norwood need moving on. So 3 in there.
Striker- we lose Archer. McB isn’t fit enough and injury prone. Need at least 2 strikers.

So bare minimum in my opinion we need 11 in for next season. 5 now, 6 in the summer.
Bin all the loans we currently have so we can secure some new loans to add to a few purchases, but the take crucial those loans are with future purchase options agreed.

It’s a huge mess, I’m not sure we have the scouting and recruitment team up to it. If not we need to spend as much as we can in getting that right NOW…and taking them with getting those targets we need in the summer ready.

Write the season off…we are done.
It’s a rebuild from today for the championship and aim of making us competitive

For me personally I’d like us to sign top league 1 players in January and give them a chance to catch up for life next year in the championship. Don’t have enough money for top end championship players and would rather we get 21-26 year olds who are on the up (like we did 2016 to 2019 and like Ipswich have done) than buy players from daft leagues who are nowhere near physical or fit enough for English football (I can only see Slimane progressing out of the lot we’ve signed abroad)

I am quite happy for Wilder to bin off a large proportion of this squad in the January window or at the end of the season.
The squad chucked Hecky under the bus and are quite clearly not good enough.
There are very few players I am bothered about keeping, maybe Souza?!
We need to get some solid building blocks back into the squad.
Look at the spine of the side, it’s rubbish

Whichever league we are in we need a new keeper, a dominant centre back (needed one for 5 years) and a box to box midfielder (needed one for 5 years)
Rotherham or Plymouth for the Goalkeeper

Luton for the Centre Back.

Watford for the Midfielder

McBurnie replacement Barnsley/Luton

priority this transfer window has got to be keeper and left back. Can’t see us getting any more funds to sort all the rest out

I think there’s merit to trying the big money loan strategy even though we’re going down because it might show us the way to actually compete in this division. Are these loans worthwhile? What type of players do we need? Could be questions we get answered that helps us in the future. We either need to do that or seriously start building for next season starting with this window. We can’t just spend nothing and wait until the summer this time.

Just make sure we get a new keeper, it's probably the most crucial appointment we could make.

A decent keeper is a must for sure to give competition to Wes. I like Wes, but he needs to have a spell on the bench, his confidence must be shot of late. Problem is Davies isn't good enough to come in.

A commanding centre half would be good too, Soutter from Leicester would be nice but would probably only be a loan. Can't see the squad been overhauled in one window, especially given our current position. It might depend on who leaves first also. Is Coulibaly one of the 25 man squad? Fleck hopefully will go too, time to move on now for Fleck. I could even see Norwood going out on loan if Wilder wants another centre mid.

Maybe bring back Arblaster the most likely incomer although as he's under 21 he wouldn't be part of the 25 man squad regardless. We've seen how well Brooks has done so if Arblaster isn't injured for long than bringing back Arblaster could make sense.

And it's not optional, it's an obligation to buy back.
So given our direction of travel toledo , best to think of Archer as a loan deal.
Morgans/LBA it seems the details surrounding Archers transfer are opaque at best.

I had a discussion with a reporter from the Athletic who are normally pretty well informed. I told him he was wrong re Archer and that it was a compulsory buyback if we went down , this is what he 'said'....."I looked into the details surrounding Archer as a couple of Sheffield United fans had also said there was a compulsory buyback clause bit I'm not sure where that comes from as tje reporting at the time says its a buy back option. These kind of details are often secretive"

So he thinks it's an option. I'm sure we will find out but I'm hoping it was along the lines of 9m now and we have to pay another 9m if we stay up. If we go down they have an option to buy him back for 9m (some think 11m) but if they don't want to we keep him paying no extra. Let's hope it's the latter as he should score a hateful in the Championship

The only transfers I am expecting is a kid using a set of those temporary tattoo kits they got for Christmas

Managers in general. Given on average they are employed for less than a year, they will always favour what is in their best interests, rather than what is in the better longer term interests of the club
Working well for Chelsea 😂😂

Tricky one, down to specifics and if the club and manager are aligned

Brighton have a structure, club buys young players, that managers remit when he takes the job, to coach them

Contrast that to say West Ham, where Moyes has a game plan and buys players to fit into that - JWP to replace Rice

Problem last time was CW is a good man manager, but not necessarily a good scout/judge of a purchase, especially the more he spends

Personally I would like us to get a DoF in, manager discusses what positions need strengthening and the recruitment team deliver - we’re removing a few zeros from value, but all the top teams do this

A decent keeper is a must for sure to give competition to Wes. I like Wes, but he needs to have a spell on the bench, his confidence must be shot of late. Problem is Davies isn't good enough to come in.

A commanding centre half would be good too, Soutter from Leicester would be nice but would probably only be a loan. Can't see the squad been overhauled in one window, especially given our current position. It might depend on who leaves first also. Is Coulibaly one of the 25 man squad? Fleck hopefully will go too, time to move on now for Fleck. I could even see Norwood going out on loan if Wilder wants another centre mid.

Maybe bring back Arblaster the most likely incomer although as he's under 21 he wouldn't be part of the 25 man squad regardless. We've seen how well Brooks has done so if Arblaster isn't injured for long than bringing back Arblaster could make sense.
i think the defeat against luton may well have altered plans were not staying in the premier league imo so might well be worth keeping our powder dry till next summer when there will be more options for us to bring promising league 1 players in and good championship players to the club think next summer will be the start of a new era down at the lane with many established players leaving and new blood being brought in ⚔⚔⚔

I might be wrong but I think I heard that Villa are only obligated if we and the player trigger it.
If true we should do all we can to keep him

Villa get top 4 their spending will limit Archers chances even further

Shown in glimpse’s he can do it at EPL, shown consistently he can at EFL

A spine of Trusty, Robbo, Bogle, Hamer, Souza, Brooks and Archer with the coaching of AK & motivation of CW (keep off under the bus throwing please Chrissy) will be a real contender in the championship

I am quite happy for Wilder to bin off a large proportion of this squad in the January window or at the end of the season.
The squad chucked Hecky under the bus and are quite clearly not good enough.
There are very few players I am bothered about keeping, maybe Souza?!
We need to get some solid building blocks back into the squad.
Look at the spine of the side, it’s rubbish
We’ve got the spine of a jellyfish

5 out (minimum)
7 in (minimum)

Sorry Chris careful who you tell
You think anyone would be able to pinpoint that before the window starts. You are insane my friend.

I worry that after today's results Wilder's transfer plans will be reduced both in terms of the budget given and also the willingness of players coming given we look almost relegated already. I can't see many decent championship players wanting to come as they may as well wait to see what their options are in the summer, which may be better than joining us, and then likely ending up back in the championship next season if they join us.
For the absolute cream of the Championship this is likely the case, for the next best they'll follow the money. The TV money should have arrived by now, certainly should be enough to lure quality Championship players.

Think we need to look at championship players if im honest. Chances of staying up now are very very slim
Championship players are expensive. The strategy of looking for good, cheap(ish) foreign talent is a good one, it’s our execution that lets us down because we don’t seem to know what ‘good’ looks like.

Back
Top Bottom