Player Suggestion Ross Barkley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This fan base never ceases to amaze me. Saying no to Ross Barkley 🤣
Would you really want him because I wouldn’t. Yes he has talent but in the last 5 years have you seen him put in 3 good performances in a row? For the wages that he would expect and the added fact that he would probably play instead of N’Diaye then a huge no from me.

I'm not remotely bothered about the former pig thing. Leon Clarke did great for us and is regarded by many as a Blade rather than a pig. Go back even further and you get Derek Geary.

For me, the reasons are pretty much financial. It will be a lot of money for someone whose career seems to be stalling.

Is he a good player? Well he has been and could be again with the right motivation. But it's like me replacing my car with an Aston Martin. Fantastic, but makes no financial sense whatsoever even if I could afford it.....

Would you really want him because I wouldn’t. Yes he has talent but in the last 5 years have you seen him put in 3 good performances in a row? For the wages that he would expect and the added fact that he would probably play instead of N’Diaye then a huge no from me.
He's another in a long, long list of talented players that have lost their way at Chelsea. That club is a basket case at times for wasting talent they have. The amount of players that had to leave in order to get game time is remarkable - Salah, De Bruyne, Thorgan Hazard, Ake, Romeu, Lukaku.

Just because he's not pulling up any trees at Chelsea doesn't mean he wouldn't thrive at United.

The only argument I've seen against signing him that has relevance is the cost of his wages. Even then, does it really stand up? If we were to pay his £200K wages (WHICH WE DEFINITELY WOULDN'T) between now and 1st July, that's an outlay of £8.6m. He is much more than an £8m player.
If he played in the Championship week-in-week out, for any club, he is sold next summer for £12/15/18m, easily.

Fact is, he signed for Chelsea because he's a good player. He's played for England for the same reason.

It's never going to happen though. He'll go to Leicester, Everton Villa, Brighton etc.

No thanks
Another one who gas undoubtedly wasted a hell of a talent chasing money
Think Jack wilshire
I think that’s unfair on Wilshere. He always wanted to play but his body wouldn’t hold up. Jack Rodwell is a better example. I think Barkley lost the motivation to play due to being given way too much money while too young.

He's another in a long, long list of talented players that have lost their way at Chelsea. That club is a basket case at times for wasting talent they have. The amount of players that had to leave in order to get game time is remarkable - Salah, De Bruyne, Thorgan Hazard, Ake, Romeu, Lukaku.

Just because he's not pulling up any trees at Chelsea doesn't mean he wouldn't thrive at United.

The only argument I've seen against signing him that has relevance is the cost of his wages. Even then, does it really stand up? If we were to pay his £200K wages (WHICH WE DEFINITELY WOULDN'T) between now and 1st July, that's an outlay of £8.6m. He is much more than an £8m player.
If he played in the Championship week-in-week out, for any club, he is sold next summer for £12/15/18m, easily.

Fact is, he signed for Chelsea because he's a good player. He's played for England for the same reason.

It's never going to happen though. He'll go to Leicester, Everton Villa, Brighton etc.
I would agree with some of that and especially that Chelsea is a graveyard for player’s careers, but just looking at the opportunities that he has had on loan, we might get 2 or 3 good games out of him before he dropped off on the effort and then would probably cause more of a negative in team spirit than the positive of having a player of his undoubted ability in the team.

but just looking at the opportunities that he has had on loan

I'm not sure where you're coming from with this one??

He went out twice from Everton as a 19/20 year old (Pigs & Leeds). Then he went to Villa in the behind closed doors PL season. He played 24 games and scored 3. They're his only loans.

I don't know what Villa fans thought of his time there, but I was surprised he didn't sign permanently

He should be able to find himself a PL or top flight club.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Bournemouth. Forest also want to sign as many players as possible too.

Playing for the Massive doesn't influence my thinking whatsoever. In fact, I almost enjoy it more when they come good e.g. Clarke, Bromby etc.

My view is a risk based judgement i.e. cost v likelihood of him coming good and improving the side. For me, it's a long shot and therefore I wouldn't be for it considering how tight Utd's budget is and every signing needs to work.

I can see him going to Glasgow - perhaps they're the only realistic clubs that can offer him something to reignite his motivation/hunger with the lure of European football.

Playing for the Massive doesn't influence my thinking whatsoever. In fact, I almost enjoy it more when they come good e.g. Clarke, Bromby etc.

My view is a risk based judgement i.e. cost v likelihood of him coming good and improving the side. For me, it's a long shot and therefore I wouldn't be for it considering how tight Utd's budget is and every signing needs to work.

I can see him going to Glasgow - perhaps they're the only realistic clubs that can offer him something to reignite his motivation/hunger with the lure of European football.
If Berge is sold, I would be tempted to offer him the same weekly wage as Berge until the end of the season with large bonus should we get promoted

I think only relegation threatened Premier League clubs ( Bournemouth, Fulham, Southampton etc)would be potentially interested in the top league and is he the type of player you need when you are in a dog fight ?

However, a chance to be a hero and help get a team promoted might satisfy his ego.

On his 'day' he was a very good player

I doubt he would come thou as it would be seen as a step down. I suspect he has something else lined up

I'm not remotely bothered about the former pig thing. Leon Clarke did great for us and is regarded by many as a Blade rather than a pig. Go back even further and you get Derek Geary.

For me, the reasons are pretty much financial. It will be a lot of money for someone whose career seems to be stalling.

Is he a good player? Well he has been and could be again with the right motivation. But it's like me replacing my car with an Aston Martin. Fantastic, but makes no financial sense whatsoever even if I could afford it.....
How can he not be motivated playing in the Prem, 200 k a week, if he played 5 or 6 good games in a row he'd be back in England squad etc, but he'd get motivated on 20k a week in championship?? 🤔

Barkley a top drawer Prem player on his day. Doesn't have many 'days' though - clearly doesn't have the discipline one way or another, whether that's on or off the pitch (or both).

I predict he'll go to Rangers/Celtic, unless a middle eastern team give him similar RIDICULOUS wages that Chelsea wasted on him.

On a related, but side note, I really wish there were some solid transfer and salary rules to stop the richest clubs stockpiling players.

Signed for OGC Nice.

Joining the likes Kasper Schmeichel, Morgan Schneiderlin, Aaron Ramsey and Joe Bryan.

Free agent after leaving Nice, worth a look?

Back
Top Bottom