Retained List

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You assume we can sign a better player than Norwood, in the Norwood role, who will accept the same wages and be a back up?

This seems a little fanciful.
I think what many don’t realise with Norwood is that he will always need good players around him so that he can get on the ball.

Things went backwards for Norwood when we didn’t have a settled midfield. Get that midfield settled around him so that he and other players can break up play and get on the ball and he plays well.

It was noticeable when Doyle was starting and Norwood came in games later that he was more relaxed.

When his form dipped he needed that break. Doyle offered something different as he’s more of a ball winner and carrier but swapping norwood for Doyle allowed us to play McAtee and Berge, both of whom aren’t the best ball winners.

Norwood seems to need ball winners and disrupters around him.

I think part of the problem was also that we under valued aggressive Wingbacks. RND and Baldock provide the aggression that Bogle and Lowe don’t. Having Baldock breathing fire down the necks of midfield bullys when the pressure is on is something that was missing when Norwood was down on his form

There’s plenty of life in norwood yet but we need better players around him

I just don't buy all this 'keep them around for their experience' or 'they know the system' so are worth keeping. These players we are talking about weren't good enough the last season in the Premier league never mind now when they are 3 years older.

Stevens and Fleck should definitely be going, I'm not averse to Billy been given a coaching role but on coaches wages and Norwood will be consistently bypassed whether he starts or comes off the bench. Between them they must be taking 100k a week, or not far short of that, in wages. That could be spent on 2 or 3 younger players who are athletic and durable and who could be sold on for more if they work out or will be able to excel if we get relegated.

That is a waste of wages to me, he's no longer able to offer anything physically. If he wants to play on, go to Doncaster or something like that, because even at championship level he's done never mind premier league.
Good job we don't have to make the decisions player-wise,whatever Hecky decides,I'm o.k. with,he's earned the right,we may not agree but that's his job.🤗

Norwood has unfortunately regressed and isnt the player that he once was. Still useful and no doubt a good character to have around the changing room and he bring a wealth of experience. I'm sure he could do a fill in job for the odd match if needed, but if he was to be retained then we are potentially paying a fairly healthy wage to someone who is only going to be a fill in player and whknis only going to regress further as he gets older.

He has been fantastic for us since he signed and a real leader and I hear that he's never missed a training session since he became a professional. However we have limited funds and need to eek out everything we can put of our budget and wages will be a part of that. On balance, I would rather we use that money that would be set aside for his wages on another younger player who whilst maybe not up to week in week out level at PL next season, has the chance to be coached and made better by PH and the coaching team so that we have a player developing and going in the right direction rather than a player who is only going to get worse and slow down even more. I bet the argument for not ripping everything up and each player should be considered on an individual basis, but I am hoping that we are looking to replace Norwood with a young player who wants to achieve and learn. Sometimes things just come to a natural end. It's no one's fault.

I don’t see very much evidence he’s regressed.

He was the one of the best players in the championship (again) for 3/4 of the season. Had a 4/5 games spell where he was poor like most of the side and then lost his place on the team.

His game doesn’t rely much on pace and he never had much of it to start with.

Think people are going to be disappointed if they are expecting upgrades on players of his quality.

So much for the negative side

Let’s look at the positive side

Someone will buy us & will put money into the club for players otherwise their investment will be pointless

SUFC now have a non monetary value, with bringing in and improving up & coming quality young players such as Henderson ,
Morgan Gibbs White , McAtee & Doyle. So clubs like Chelski , Manure , Citee , Arsenal will look favourably to loan players for us to improve & benefit from.

We only have to do better than
Burnley / Coventry or Luton & Everton to survive.

Keeping the core of our current squad with maybe 1 or 2 additions & the loan players , who Hecky is happy that they can play within our system .should be enough to be 17th or above

Then the season after, with finances stabilised it will be a whole new ballgame

UTB

It's the nature of football fans to want something shiny and new. Manager's tend to prefer steady experience, especially this manager, despite what he says about bringing through youth.

Translation - Hecky knows that bringing through youth has higher expectation, but more variance, and if the higher variance option turns out poorly he'll be sacked, so we'll look after number one and not do that

Translation - Hecky knows that bringing through youth has higher expectation, but more variance, and if the higher variance option turns out poorly he'll be sacked, so we'll look after number one and not do that
I don't agree with that. What I meant was football fans dream of fining young unicorns whereas football manager's with reality that older players are more reliable.

No shame in that

I can’t believe that the Prince will not give PH any money, or allow him to choose loan players, based on what someone thinks they heard at a social event. (Evidence needed).

Norwood will get options, including a challenge to stay, and fight for your place, whoever gets in ahead of him. He could take the money from any championship club who want him.

PH want the chance to manage a blades team in the PL. He deserves that much and he will get it, with limited financial support.

The Prince, along with fans, is desperate to sell the club

giphy.webp

Not sure why we are delaying the release of this list, had to be into the EFL by Saturday just gone so get just on with it!

Not sure why we are delaying the release of this list, had to be into the EFL by Saturday just gone so get just on with it!
Assuming that the EFL does not make these lists public (otherwise we’d know by now) does it not make sense to continue to keep your cards pretty close to your chest?

Eg. If we’re still negotiating with (let’s say) Norwood, then we “release” him so as to not fall foul of the EFL deadline, but don’t shout that to the world and invite others to come and nick him before we’re done talking to him.

I don’t actually know if it works that way (so apologies if that’s bollocks), but seems logical?

Assuming that the EFL does not make these lists public (otherwise we’d know by now) does it not make sense to continue to keep your cards pretty close to your chest?

Eg. If we’re still negotiating with (let’s say) Norwood, then we “release” him so as to not fall foul of the EFL deadline, but don’t shout that to the world and invite others to come and nick him before we’re done talking to him.

I don’t actually know if it works that way (so apologies if that’s bollocks), but seems logical?
Maybe we want our U21s to finish their season before we go public with this list?

Last couple of years they've published them on the 24th (although the seasons ended later)

I suspect there are delays because there are still players with contract offers in front of them. The club probably want to announce everything in one go.

Half of the Championship haven't released their lists yet. Some, like Swansea/Bristol City, have released a list but still said they're trying to negotiate contracts with Manning/Da Silva etc

'Supporters will find out shortly what has been agreed. According to EFL rules, all clubs must submit their retained lists by the third Saturday in May and have until midnight on the due date to do so.

With the season not done and dusted yet, Sheffield United are still classed as an EFL club until the curtain officially comes down on the 2022-23 season.

However, there is an exception for those clubs involved in the end-of-season play-offs after this date. Those sides are granted an extra four days after their last match.

The EFL has to publish by the second Saturday in June (10th).'

'Supporters will find out shortly what has been agreed. According to EFL rules, all clubs must submit their retained lists by the third Saturday in May and have until midnight on the due date to do so.

With the season not done and dusted yet, Sheffield United are still classed as an EFL club until the curtain officially comes down on the 2022-23 season.

However, there is an exception for those clubs involved in the end-of-season play-offs after this date. Those sides are granted an extra four days after their last match.

The EFL has to publish by the second Saturday in June (10th).'
The longer it goes before the club officially tells us, the more rumours will abound as to who has and who hasn’t been offered new terms.

And I, for one, am definitely here for all the spurious rumours!

The silence, on all upper club matters, is deafening. Makes me think there are 2 possibilities. The 20M/very low budget is true and everyone is keeping a low profile in hopes of avoiding some backlash from the Press/Fans OR there is something ownership cooking and T's need crossing and I's need dotting before an announcement can be made.

So much for the negative side

Let’s look at the positive side

Someone will buy us & will put money into the club for players otherwise their investment will be pointless

SUFC now have a non monetary value, with bringing in and improving up & coming quality young players such as Henderson ,
Morgan Gibbs White , McAtee & Doyle. So clubs like Chelski , Manure , Citee , Arsenal will look favourably to loan players for us to improve & benefit from.

We only have to do better than
Burnley / Coventry or Luton & Everton to survive.

Keeping the core of our current squad with maybe 1 or 2 additions & the loan players , who Hecky is happy that they can play within our system .should be enough to be 17th or above

Then the season after, with finances stabilised it will be a whole new ballgame

UTB
The problem might be that a club comes in for Heck'y! another season of improving young players! a lot of clubs are going to see the benefit of that, and better clubs (financially) than us would be a magnet for any manager, then we could end up with a manager that can't improve the squad that Heck'y leaves behind, then we are in trouble!

The silence, on all upper club matters, is deafening. Makes me think there are 2 possibilities. The 20M/very low budget is true and everyone is keeping a low profile in hopes of avoiding some backlash from the Press/Fans OR there is something ownership cooking and T's need crossing and I's need dotting before an announcement can be made.

Or, 3, the club are simply not divulging information which could be detrimental to the club's interests?

The problem might be that a club comes in for Heck'y! another season of improving young players! a lot of clubs are going to see the benefit of that, and better clubs (financially) than us would be a magnet for any manager, then we could end up with a manager that can't improve the squad that Heck'y leaves behind, then we are in trouble!

If a club comes in for Hecky the club won’t stand in his way.

Btw. Hecky’s version of the budget reduction is £20m down to £5m. Andy must have misheard while sat on his knee.

Seriously, what do you expect the club to do?
Confirm and deny all speculation throughout the summer?
Currently, there’s nothing to comment on.

Transfer nonsense occurs every summer and every summer over entitled fans demand to know what’s happening with regards to budgets, who we’re signing/selling. Same goes for who’s being retained. We’ll find out when you need to, which is likely to be when the window closes, at which point you can judge for yourself how it’s gone.

Seriously, what do you expect the club to do?
Confirm and deny all speculation throughout the summer?
Currently, there’s nothing to comment on.

Transfer nonsense occurs every summer and every summer over entitled fans demand to know what’s happening with regards to budgets, who we’re signing/selling. Same goes for who’s being retained. We’ll find out when you need to, which is likely to be when the window closes, at which point you can judge for yourself how it’s gone.
Absolutely, just impatience on my part.

Having said that, it's not without precedent to announce lists this early - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/65535979 - 11 Championship clubs have already done so.

Absolutely, just impatience on my part.

Having said that, it's not without precedent to announce lists this early - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/65535979 - 11 Championship clubs have already done so.
Apologies Ron, reading my post back it read more aggressive than I intended. Although it does drive me to distraction every year where there is a demand for updates. 🤣
I’d love to know the inside track but it’s not in the clubs interest to keep us informed.

My ignorant view on any delay. Players offered deals on reduced terms or terms less than they had last time are considering alternatives so we can’t publish a full list of who we’re retaining.

Apologies Ron, reading my post back it read more aggressive than I intended. Although it does drive me to distraction every year where there is a demand for updates. 🤣
I’d love to know the inside track but it’s not in the clubs interest to keep us informed.

My ignorant view on any delay. Players offered deals on reduced terms or terms less than they had last time are considering alternatives so we can’t publish a full list of who we’re retaining.
Your original post was spot on Flatulent_Bob. Not too aggressive, just an example of your understandable frustration with impatience of others.

You could well be right about ‘low ball’ offers under consideration by players, and that would not surprise me at all, given the Prince is reluctant to spend any money at all.

I was hopeful that we as a club have a good reputation for player development, but other clubs might expect a different experience, loaning players to a bottom half PL club, unlike the expectations of Doyle and McAtee going to a top 6 championship side. We have a good reputation, but our status has changed since promotion.

You could well be right about ‘low ball’ offers under consideration by players, and that would not surprise me at all, given the Prince is reluctant to spend any money at all.
He'll be spending £100m+ in one form or another won't he?

The longer it goes on leads me to presume we’re ‘retaining’ more than we’re ‘releasing’, particularly given the size of our supposed budget.

It might be tempting to knee jerk if only JOC, Fleck, Enda & Billy are let go. But I think the real time to judge is at the end of August’s transfer window.

...or neither ? Surely the club should wait until the last match has been played (last night?) before announcing a retained list.

Back
Top Bottom