Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Things I thought I'd never see:

Sheffield United getting £20m for a player (even if we did pay £22m in the first place).

Its all depressing. Why do I feel this could be start of the end. Slowly watching Middlesbrough claw back those 12 points. Like creeping death.
More concern is how our financial situations always tend to be worse than anyone else's.

A financial crisis is never far away no matter what.

Premier League money, parachute payments, sale of Ramsdale for big money, players shifted off the wage bill, and still cannot compete financially with any average club that has spent years bumming around in the Championship

Said at the start of the season, only one teams stops the Blades going up this season, and that Sheffield United themselves.....

Berge will be sold (chest infection my arse) with minutes to go in the JTW, leaving us with no chance of a replacement.

Doyle and Mcatee are not as good as Berge so not his replacement (combine together and get somewhere close)

We will finish the season in 3rd, and you know how that ends up.............

I know he's not as important and the situation financial wise is different. But hopefully this isn't a repeat of James Beatie leaving halfway through the season and us not getting promoted

Said at the start of the season, only one teams stops the Blades going up this season, and that Sheffield United themselves.....

Berge will be sold (chest infection my arse) with minutes to go in the JTW, leaving us with no chance of a replacement.

Doyle and Mcatee are not as good as Berge so not his replacement (combine together and get somewhere close)

Come on, be a bit more positive or perhaps even realistic

Very true in a footballing sense.

But a Fulham move will allow him to spend a few years partying in London on presumably a large salary. More than a little tempting I would think.

Double your pay, live in London on big money and enjoy the spoils of that.

I’d be there like a rat up a drainpipe.

Not sure if this has been posted before but makes a lot more sense if true. Sounds like the reason we are entertaining any bids for him is down to the fact that his release fee is likely to be triggered. Can't really argue with that if it's true. Also makes sense why the incoming owner wouldn't be able to just shit on the offers and tell the other clubs to jog on.

Understood, but Hecky indicated that SB wants to stay. If that is really the case then he stays. He cannot be forced to change employers.
I guess therefore he is happy to stay if there isn’t a deal he likes, but otherwise goes at about 7pm tomorrow !
Over to you then Snowflake, hows it going to pan out?

BWT, I hope I'm completely wrong on all accounts
We have a squad, even without Berge, that is capable of picking up enough points to add to the 12 point cushion that we have to give us second place.
I think that not because I want to but taking into account what they have already achieved and the likelihood that several of the chasing pack will be dropping points over the next 17/18 games.
It will be close, but who knows we may have Berge or two top players to replace him '!!!!!!!!!! (Rose tinted glasses on)

I can see the headlines Berge leaves on deadline day, United tried for a few but.............. same owd same owd

Thats not how it works......he can only be sold if we have replacements that will make us arguably better.
Berge has a better reputation in the game and better CV than N'Diaye, so on the market he's worth more.
Did us a massive favour that he didn't play against Wrexham as no doubt Lineker and Shearer would have been bigging Berge up as our star player.
Then it wouldn't have looked good if he was knocked off the ball struggling against non league opposition.

The issue is we don't seem to be able to use him properly and get value, so may as well offload him.
Wouldn't surprise me if he's a big success at another club in the PL and then £25 million would seem a bargain.

However even if he's brilliant at another club, it was still a great piece of business for us because he's not effective enough for our team.

Last edited:
Thats not how it works......he can only be sold if we have replacements that will make us arguably better.
Berge has a better reputation in the game and better CV than N'Diaye, so on the market he's worth more.
Did us a massive favour that he didn't play against Wrexham as no doubt Lineker and Shearer would have been bigging Berge up as our star player.
Then it wouldn't have looked good if he was knocked off the ball struggling against non league opposition.

The issue is we don't seem to be able to use him properly and get value, so may as well offload him.
Wouldn't surprise me if he's a big success at another club in the PL and then £25 million would seem a bargain.

However even if he's brilliant at another club, it was still a great piece of business for us because he's not effective enough for our team.
"Thats not how it works......he can only be sold if we have replacements that will make us arguably better." tongue in cheek, right?

Sky Sports News are saying Newcastle want to sign him on loan but with an obligation to purchase at the end of the season, whereas Fulham is a straight forward up front purchase. Newcastle’s offer will be higher fee overall but with less £ up front.

absolute rubbish berge has done nothing for ages 20/25m for him were doing to some club what liverpool did to us over brewster and actually if hecky is allowed to bring a couple more in i think we will have a stronger squad

Sky Sports News are saying Newcastle want to sign him on loan but with an obligation to purchase at the end of the season, whereas Fulham is a straight forward up front purchase. Newcastle’s offer will be higher fee overall but with less £ up front.

Tricky.

Berge will want the Newcastle deal (you'd think).
We will want the Fulham deal as it solves our cashflow problem.

Then there's the potential Saudi on Saudi pressure that might come from dealing with Newcastle.

Bit frustrating that Newcastle won't front up with their offer.

Tricky.

Then there's the potential Saudi on Saudi pressure that might come from dealing with Newcastle.

Very wary of any obligation to buy arrangement after what happened with Khadra. Ending up loaning Berge for him to then return at the end of the season would however be classic United.

Tricky.

Exactly. I would imagine Berge would almost certainly prefer Newcastle with all that is going on there. There are similarities with our first season in the prem and Fulham this year - it would be a no brainier for me.

Due to the amount of cash they are spending, Newcastle will probably try and pay as little up front as they can get away with, which is less appealing to us. Berge is holding the cards to a large extent. We can’t force him to go anywhere.

Sander comes across as a good kid and has handled himself pretty admirably since our relegation when he could very easily have forced a move, so props to him for that.

It would be a real shame to lose a player that shows so much quality on his day, but 'his day' is a rare occasion and a full 90 at his best is something I can't remember ever even seeing. He's also extremely soft which is so frustrating when he's so big. If he could add physicality and consistency to his game then he could be unstoppable.

I don't think anyone can deny he'll be a loss but if we manage to re-coup the fee we paid for him, when he's been mostly injured and out of form in his time here, it would be very hard not to see it as a good deal for us - and that's before you factor in the embargo and his contract expiring next summer.

Ultimately, I'd like to keep him as he's one of the players that wouldn't need to be replaced if we get promoted and there's still lots of room for growth in his game. But given the shit we're in, and the fact there's a hatful of clubs willing to pay over the odds for him, I won't lose too much sleep if he goes. Stick a sell on clause in there too, just in case he does kick on and ends up going to one of Europe's big boys in the future.

Sadly, he's a large part of a "what could have been" chapter in United's history, and it's a real shame it all ended how it did. Palace away, especially after the final whistle, was one of my favourite ever moments as a Blade. I'm sure he'll look back on that with the same bittersweet feelings that we do.

His agent must have them looking at his stats .
The towering 6 foot 4 maestro has been a leading presence for the Championship club this season, racking up a respectable haul of four goals and three assists in 19 league outings so far, while also demonstrating his creative flair by averaging 1.2 key passes per game in that time.
The defensive midfielder has also proven himself particularly effective at driving his team up the field from deep, with the elegant “Rolls-Royce” – as lauded by team-mate Chris Basham – ranking in the top 5% among those in his position in the ‘Men’s next eight competitions’ for dribbles completed (as per FBref).

That attacking thrust is complemented by the 32-cap titan’s defensive prowess, as he has averaged 1.2 tackles per game in the current Championship campaign. That’s a similar record to what Shelvey recorded in the top flight last season, as the 30-year-old averaged 1.3 for the same metric.

Understood, but Hecky indicated that SB wants to stay. If that is really the case then he stays. He cannot be forced to change employers.
I guess therefore he is happy to stay if there isn’t a deal he likes, but otherwise goes at about 7pm tomorrow !

We have a squad, even without Berge, that is capable of picking up enough points to add to the 12 point cushion that we have to give us second place.
I think that not because I want to but taking into account what they have already achieved and the likelihood that several of the chasing pack will be dropping points over the next 17/18 games.
It will be close, but who knows we may have Berge or two top players to replace him '!!!!!!!!!! (Rose tinted glasses on)

Berge will do what his agent advises. That's why he has an agent in the first place.
If he says sign for timbuktoo utd, then he will be on the first plane out.

If he hasn't asked for a move, then he will also be probably due a loyalty bonus for not asking for the transfer in the first place. Even though his agent has been bang at it for the last 2 seasons.

Let's hope he/we make a decision today because the clock is ticking...

Very wary of any obligation to buy arrangement after what happened with Khadra. Ending up loaning Berge for him to then return at the end of the season would however be classic United.
Ours was the obligation to purchase if certain criteria met...

Different to obligation to purchase.

Our players are being touted around and the fans gullibly accept that it is for the best. Biggest load of shit ever the Prince just wants the cash. The mistaken assumption that he needs to buy us out of embargo like a knight in shining armour is bonkers. This man is not in the least bothered about signing he is interested in selling!

Back
Top Bottom