January Transfer Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
Looks like incomings are unlikely so it looks like our promotion chase will be going forward with what we already have.

Screenshot (25).png
Obviously, it's a huge boost getting injured players back, but even if we somehow manage to keep everyone fit I think we're a bit thin in a couple of areas.

I still think we're thin in the defensive side of midfield. Much of that has fallen to Norwood but it's not his strength. With Doyle and Berge back we might have enough, with a back 5, but there's not much cover after that (and it's not ideal playing a right footed player on the left).

If the rumours about Fleck are true and who knows about Coulibaly, that leaves us Osborn, McAtee, Basham, Arblaster as cover. None of those have shown they can start games regularly in midfield.

Also, it relies a lot on McBurnie and Sharp to run the line. Unless Jebbo can step up, but that doesn't entirely seem likely. If we lost McBurnie, I think we'd struggle.

In a perfect world I'd like an imposing striker and energetic defensive midfielder, but I'm presuming that won't happen.

Looks like incomings are unlikely so it looks like our promotion chase will be going forward with what we already have.

View attachment 149339
Obviously, it's a huge boost getting injured players back, but even if we somehow manage to keep everyone fit I think we're a bit thin in a couple of areas.

I still think we're thin in the defensive side of midfield. Much of that has fallen to Norwood but it's not his strength. With Doyle and Berge back we might have enough, with a back 5, but there's not much cover after that (and it's not ideal playing a right footed player on the left).

If the rumours about Fleck are true and who knows about Coulibaly, that leaves us Osborn, McAtee, Basham, Arblaster as cover. None of those have shown they can start games regularly in midfield.

Also, it relies a lot on McBurnie and Sharp to run the line. Unless Jebbo can step up, but that doesn't entirely seem likely. If we lost McBurnie, I think we'd struggle.

In a perfect world I'd like an imposing striker and energetic defensive midfielder, but I'm presuming that won't happen.
It happened in the summer when w3 all believed nothing more would happen ! Up pops Anel.

View attachment 149339

What are the rumours about Fleck?

Between the lines it says no incoming if we hold on to our key players. Obviously that will change if we lose some of the big talents. I'm 100% in camp keep the lot

The only real weakness for me is back up for McBurnie and I'd be looking to loan a big mobile striker as back up.

Other areas might be nice to strengthen but with most of our injured players back fit we have good cover in every other area. Without McBurnie I think we look significantly weaker as we have no like for replacement.

Yeah, we never sign anyone in January. It’s a big worry 🙄
Looks like Watford are having a go . Got one signing a contract and 2 incoming 1st Jan. Seem to remember Kone? was one, the lad we where allegedly eyeing up. Could be wrong though.

I think the messages from Hecky are clear:

1. Don't fucking sell N'Daiye or Berge from under my feet
2. I hope N'Daiye doesn't get injured
3. We're still relying on loans. Please don't get injured lads
4. Please Tommy, get back playing
5. Nob'dy else get injured, reyt?

Pretty typical confident-in-the-face-of-disaster statement from the team manager.

One thing is for certain. If we go up, we are gonna have to have a mercy killing in the car park of a lot of players

pommpey

There's chat that Middlesbrough are signing Dan Barlaser (Rotherham) and Ross Stewart (Sunderland). Two very good players that will kick them on.

Watford have already signed Kone (CM we were looking at as our Berge replacement), as well as a Brazilian lad and Bacuna.

There's rumours Burnley are going to go all in for Gyokeres at Coventry.

If we stand still we risk being caught.

West Ham are the club that worry me - They have a history of buying some of the better players in the championship. They were rumoured to be interested in Egan during the summer and I see they are now after a right wing back having failed to get the green light to go after Isiah Jones from Boro. If we can keep hold of Baldock, Egan, Anel, Norwood, Berge, McBurnie and Ndiaye then I will be very happy with that. A Centre-Forward and Left Midfielder coming in on loan would be a nice bonus.

There's chat that Middlesbrough are signing Dan Barlaser (Rotherham) and Ross Stewart (Sunderland). Two very good players that will kick them on.

Watford have already signed Kone (CM we were looking at as our Berge replacement), as well as a Brazilian lad and Bacuna.

thats true, but we don't know if any of those teams will be selling some of their highly rated players, I can see Watford losing a few, and maybe Burnley to a mid to lower Prem team.

Whilst we are technically standing still.

If we view the returning players Lowe, Bogle, Berge, Clark etc etc as new signings then we look immeasurably stronger coming into January.

Also if we lose any of our sellable assets, namely N’diaye, Berge, Egan etc - we absolutely are getting worse players as replacements. Without doubt.

Best chance of going up is keeping the lot and benefiting from a fit squad.

From the last 6 games to now we’ve got 4/5 first team players back. That’s like new signings in itself. We just need to keep on to what we’ve got and we’ll have a good chance of a promotion push.

I don’t necessarily see these signings as threatening.

Watford are struggling for form & bringing in several players that don’t know championship football, that’s not saying they’ll not all be bad though.

Burnley will continue to strengthen, they sold a lot of players in the summer so have money to spend.

Middlesborough I’ll believe those signings when I see them.

It's worrying as we are constantly evolving regardless of division and thus should be chipping away at the squad building anyway. One permanent in two seasons (five windows) if we don't sign anyone, and a huge rebuild in the summer. Meanwhile the Cat one academies are ransacking our best youth prospects. It'd be really dumb not to bring in a striker with the loss of Brewster (unless Osula is ready), and hopefully a midfield player.

Last edited:

Interesting post. I can't see Stewart swopping Sunderland for Boro - he would be very expensive and I'm not sure Boro have that much spare cash floating around. As others have said there is a good chance Watford will sell at least one of their prized assets. Gyokeres will be £20m plus and Burnley are above us anyway (so not really a club that we can worry about catching us ;) ), also this would take away any threat that Coventry might pose.
Gyokeres is the player I would like to sign if we went up and so I hope that Burnley don't sign him for that reason alone.
Bacuna....meh.
Kone...looks raw to me - not what we need right now.

I think the messages from Hecky are clear:

1. Don't fucking sell N'Daiye or Berge from under my feet
2. I hope N'Daiye doesn't get injured
3. We're still relying on loans. Please don't get injured lads
4. Please Tommy, get back playing
5. Nob'dy else get injured, reyt?

Pretty typical confident-in-the-face-of-disaster statement from the team manager.

One thing is for certain. If we go up, we are gonna have to have a mercy killing in the car park of a lot of players

pommpey
Did we last time ?

The only real weakness for me is back up for McBurnie and I'd be looking to loan a big mobile striker as back up.

Other areas might be nice to strengthen but with most of our injured players back fit we have good cover in every other area. Without McBurnie I think we look significantly weaker as we have no like for replacement.
I saw Rondon has been suggested on FL World… i think it’s a decent shout as McB backup on a 6 month deal

I don’t necessarily see these signings as threatening.

Watford are struggling for form & bringing in several players that don’t know championship football, that’s not saying they’ll not all be bad though.

Burnley will continue to strengthen, they sold a lot of players in the summer so have money to spend.

Middlesborough I’ll believe those signings when I see them.
Part of the rationale for signing the Brazilian lad, who plays on the wing is possibly down to the rumour Sarr has refused to play. I suppose being Senegal's second best player there (😉) must have gone to his head a bit. Still, they've got far more seasons out of him than they could have realistically expected given his ability and their recent yoyoing.

Even if he is not planning on signing a new deal, I'd be surprised if Sunderland sold their number one striker to one of their North East rivals, especially one who could end up competing with them for a potential play off place.

If you are Gyokeres, do you go to Burnley and at best end up being a the worst house on the best street in 6 months and potentially back in the Championship in 18 months or do you continue to do well at Coventry and get courted by Wolves, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, or any other non-top 6 Prem team who may not be facing an immediate relegation fight?

For United, keeping what we have would be good. If you are being greedy then for me, perhaps sending Jebbo out and getting a more experienced play in wouldn't hurt. Also, Fleck is a worry. So if Coulibaly is back soon, maybe that will remove that need and give him a chance to show his worth. We have then Norwood, Doyle, Osborn and Coulibaly not to mention Arblaster.

Interesting post. I can't see Stewart swopping Sunderland for Boro - he would be very expensive and I'm not sure Boro have that much spare cash floating around. As others have said there is a good chance Watford will sell at least one of their prized assets. Gyokeres will be £20m plus and Burnley are above us anyway (so not really a club that we can worry about catching us ;) ), also this would take away any threat that Coventry might pose.
Gyokeres is the player I would like to sign if we went up and so I hope that Burnley don't sign him for that reason alone.
Bacuna....meh.
Kone...looks raw to me - not what we need right now.

Watford's signings don't blow me away, but I do rate Barlaser, Stewart and particularly Gyokeres.

Looking at the teams around us, I'm not sure many are in as much danger of losing assets as we are.
Burnley have good players and play well as a team but I'm not sure any will attract PL interest this January. At a push, maybe their tricky little winger Manuel Benson?
Watford, we all assumed they'd have lost Ismalia Sarr and Joao Pedro by now, but I think the latter signed a new contract after his move to Newcastle fell through. Sarr could well leave as he was close in the Summer.
Do Norwich have any standout individuals anymore? Max Aarons, the right back, has been out of sorts this season. Maybe Josh Sargent? But I don't think he will get offers in Jan.

When you look at our squad, particularly given our financial situation (parachutes end next year) and the contractual situation of our players (nearly all go into their final years this Summer), you could easily see the likes of Egan, Anel, Norwood, Berge, Ndiaye and McBurnie all attracting interest...

Back
Top Bottom