email from club - NO MORE TICKETS ON SALE IN KOP - standing & wrong seat usage

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you wander into Wolves South Bank, Leeds South Stand or KOP, behind the goals at Chelsea, Man United, Hull, Blackpool, Boro, Derby, Cov, Liverpool, Spurs, Palace or countless other places & expect them all to sit down because you fancy sitting?
I would assume not, so if you want to sit down those areas are "out of bounds to you".
We are the almost the only big club where young lads don't have anywhere to stand & congregate. Even tinpot clubs like Ipswich, Norwich & Reading manage it but apparently at Bramall Lane it's unreasonable.
It Is not unreasonable, but many of those have safe standing areas which is the only possibility I can see that we will get a standing area.

As has been said many times, our Kop design with exits at the top is an issue that others don’t have, especially now due to gangways being blocked and over-crowding in the seating areas. Due to these issues SAG have got involved so even having an unofficial standing area wouldn’t be allowed by them, the club have been told they have to do something or areas could be closed and I don’t think the club saying they are making a bigger unofficial standing area to try and keep gangways clear would be accepted. You can put this forward to the club as an idea though and then please let us know what the response is.

As has also been said many times, getting safe standing implemented won’t be a quick, cheap or easy process and will need full cooperation from the licensing authorities of course.

I can’t see a lot of the fans involved accepting they can’t just take over the back rows any more and SAG aren’t just going to say, oh well, we tried, here’s your safety certificate and carry on so I suspect the club will have to get involved, policing the area and potentially start banning persistent offenders, not good, but better for the club than to be accused of doing nothing about a safety issue raised by SAG or have SAG close the stand which would be a disaster for both fans and club.

Contrary to what you might think, I and I suspect most others actually hope safe standing can be introduced. It’s a choice that should be available at all clubs, but it would be very difficult to argue for if we do get parts of the Kop closed for extended periods, SAG would be very wary to allow it, as would the club.

I don't accept that you need an antagonistic relationship with the club to get them to do anything. I doubt Foxy does either who I'm guessing has had far more success in getting his suggestions implemented than you have.
What’s been implemented to improve atmosphere so far?

It Is not unreasonable, but many of those have safe standing areas which is the only possibility I can see that we will get a standing area.

As has been said many times, our Kop design with exits at the top is an issue that others don’t have, especially now due to gangways being blocked and over-crowding in the seating areas. Due to these issues SAG have got involved so even having an unofficial standing area wouldn’t be allowed by them, the club have been told they have to do something or areas could be closed and I don’t think the club saying they are making a bigger unofficial standing area to try and keep gangways clear would be accepted. You can put this forward to the club as an idea though and then please let us know what the response is.

As has also been said many times, getting safe standing implemented won’t be a quick, cheap or easy process and will need full cooperation from the licensing authorities of course.

I can’t see a lot of the fans involved accepting they can’t just take over the back rows any more and SAG aren’t just going to say, oh well, we tried, here’s your safety certificate and carry on so I suspect the club will have to get involved, policing the area and potentially start banning persistent offenders, not good, but better for the club than to be accused of doing nothing about a safety issue raised by SAG or have SAG close the stand which would be a disaster for both fans and club.

Contrary to what you might think, I and I suspect most others actually hope safe standing can be introduced. It’s a choice that should be available at all clubs, but it would be very difficult to argue for if we do get parts of the Kop closed for extended periods, SAG would be very wary to allow it, as would the club.
There is no safe standing section at most of those clubs & no safe standing section in almost any away end

We sit in the South and we're not quiet, trust me
When sat amongst yourselves, possibly not.

I’ve heard noise from the south stand on two occasions this season, from the kop.

It is interesting how all those clubs you’ve mentioned have all-standing ends.

It’s obviously accepted as the norm and probably not even thought about as it’s ingrained in their supporter culture.

How come it’s not at the Lane despite us being well supported and still somehow clinging on to a reputation of having a loud ground?

Also be interesting to see what people against the idea of wanting to stand at games reply to you in regards to other club’s fans mass acceptance and willingness to do it.
Because the very mention of caring about atmosphere has historically been ridiculed in places like this, which should be the campaigning ground for change, for some reason.

I have no idea how one of the most passionate fan bases has turned into what it has.

Last edited:
There is no safe standing section at most of those clubs & no safe standing section in almost any away end
At some of them they do, but frankly we are going around in circles. The facts are the club has been told it has to do something quickly or face sanctions. If you think having a large part of the stand or all the stand as an unofficial standing area is the way to do it and want to use the examples of other clubs that have done it, then go for it. It’s good to see someone willing to do something about something they believe in.

I just think the time scales, complexities involved, potential repercussions for the club and the attitude of our SAG will not allow this.

I really do hope that these fans listen and fall in line. Can you imagine the chaos if the Kop gets closed? Thousands of fans have sat in those seats for years and some have been on the kop for decades.

Where do they all go if the kop is closed? How is it fair for 90% of kopites that abide by the rules, for them suddenly to be unable to attend a game?

Selfish fans need to get a grip now before it's too late.

Because the very mention of caring about atmosphere has historically been ridiculed in places like this, which should be the campaigning ground for change, for some reason.

I have no idea how one of the most passionate fan bases has turned into what it has.

100% correct.

There's always been an ingrained snootiness on here.

Express a desire to see the atmosphere improve and you get treated as rabble. Moan about the toilets not having energy efficient hand-dryers however and that really gets the old blood pumping.

I can't keep up with this thread last time I looked it was page 16 it's 26 now FFS

The issue is no so much standing it is people being in a space that is not allocated to them on their ticket causing overcrowding in certain areas.
Banging on about rail seating and safe standing does not alter this you are still allocated a seat, morons will still overcrowd rail seats by not being in their allocated seat.
Stopping the sale of tickets is very unfair on fans who pay on the day and do nothing wrong.
What SUFC should be doing is ejecting anyone not using the seat on their ticket and causing this overcrowding, simple as that. If that doesn't work invalidate their ST and/or ban them.

Last word from me on this thread it is no use me arguing with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Well the Romans use too move as one. Each member contributes to the formation with generals, sergeants etc leading the columns and ceaser obviously behind them. The Russians are incredibly organised which is magical too see.

Anticipate you may have received a response or two to this (low hanging fruit click bait) ‘post
But….
May as well go the whole hog & send some other folk off & away n’all
Including:
“Tank top wearing bum boys”& shirt-lifters
“Drinkers from the hairy cup”
Post box imitating / “water melon smile”folk, indeed all outwith the requisite blonde hair blue eyes
Any Johnny Foreigner particularly those wearing waterproofs or carrying oars / paddles
Split arses especially minge- munchers
Dwarves
“Cripples”
Coffin dodgers
“Retards”
“Bam pots”
“Ginnas” (except Quinny)
Taffs ( except RND)
“Sweaties” (especially Douggie Brown, but perhaps not Oli McB?)
Bog hoppers ( not Egan but definitely Sammon)
“mongs”
“gypos”
“Spazs”
Etc etc etc

Just for clarity why do you need to stand to sing / create atmosphere- is it a similar challenge to chewing gum & walking in tandem? (Or maybe speaking & breaking wind?)
The Kop - Sponsored by the Third Reich! 😂

A lot of this thread has been about the club and the fans.

I'd also like to see some transparency now from the authorities side.

Why have Sheffield United been pinpointed?

Are we saying that none of what has been highlighted has been going on at Wednesday or Rotherham, Barnsley, Donny or Chesterfield?

Quite frankly I don't believe we would be so significantly different to all of them that we should be the ones sanctioned whilst they receive no rebuke too.

What is our expected path to effective? Is there a measure which will remove these sanctions or are we being held to impeccably high standards that no other club is being asked to adhere to?

They've made the charges. It's time for the local journos to also step up. Why United and not the others? Are they sending someone to observe the other local teams to impartially observe? And not by tipping them off in advance to ensure compliance, but by going there unannounced to observe their natural behavior. No issue if we are sanctioned if we are guilty of something but I expect the same to be adhered to by others too.

What serious incident could possibly happen? Apart from I suppose scraped knees. The worlds gone mad, when you compare the near crushes we use to accept in the 80’s.

I’m all for free choice, if people want to stand then stand if people want to sit then sit. We should cater for the wishes of most fans and respect their wishes as long as it’s relatively safe of course.

If you want to take it to extremes the steps on the Kop are unsafe because you can fall down then and suffer injuries.
Blocking gangways is stupid a surge from the back sending people flying down the stairway or
The need to remove someone who needs emergency treatment maybe

Leeds Kop is the same, access at top and bottom like ours.

Why have Sheffield United been pinpointed?

Are we saying that none of what has been highlighted has been going on at Wednesday or Rotherham, Barnsley, Donny or Chesterfield?
I think Hillsborough's capacity hasbeen reduced by around 6k due to H&S issues and Barnsley had a stand closed down. Donny and Chessie have new stadiums which may make a difference

I really do hope that these fans listen and fall in line. Can you imagine the chaos if the Kop gets closed? Thousands of fans have sat in those seats for years and some have been on the kop for decades.

Where do they all go if the kop is closed? How is it fair for 90% of kopites that abide by the rules, for them suddenly to be unable to attend a game?

Selfish fans need to get a grip now before it's too late.
The worry is if those fans relocate to other stands and move the problem there!

Leeds Kop is the same, access at top and bottom like ours.

It isn’t. It’s completely different. There are vomitories in the middle of the stand. It still has a “trench” in the middle (like we used to) and the seating blocks are much smaller.

The infrastructure while not the immediate reason given for this sanction, is still the underlying cause.

Even if everyone sat down in their seats and did nothing more than politely clapped during the match there is still a very good chance we are looking at licensing issues and cut capacity in the years to come.

I’d go as far to say, that in my opinion, it is an inevitability.

It isn’t. It’s completely different. There are vomitories in the middle of the stand. It still has a “trench” in the middle (like we used to) and the seating blocks are much smaller.

The infrastructure while not the immediate reason given for this sanction, is still the underlying cause.

Even if everyone sat down in their seats and did nothing more than politely clapped during the match there is still a very good chance we are looking at licensing issues and cut capacity in the years to come.

You’re correct there’s access halfway up. Amazed I’d forgotten but stood on their twice when we’ve played there so kept my head down.

Sounds like the club need to sort the Kop out then. Stick some safe standing there at the same time.

Banging on about rail seating and safe standing does not alter this you are still allocated a seat

This is because at higher levels of English football, there is still a requirement for all-seater stadia. You will still have a seat because it is still technically a seated area, your seat is not locked out of use like it would be if it was a standing area. That the seats are rail seats, and people will turn a blind eye to people persistently standing, and that it is caveat emptor if people want to buy a ticket for those areas and sit down there, does not make it officially a standing area. I hoard bits of paper, and can show you what a ticket looks like if it is actually a standing area, and the absence of a row/seat number therein

Cheers, that's interesting, and without wishing to reopen this whole debate, is that because of concerns about evacuation and safety?

Presumably the fact that the gangways at the top open on to a single walkway that can get congested doesn't help either.

Back
Top Bottom