Decent Players, not so decent for the Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hai Hao Dong - played at 2002 World Cup and bagged 40+ international goals in 100 appearances. The Chinese Shearer!

Laurens Tens Heuval - the next Bergkamp!

Davy Gysbrechts - the third Chuckle!

Nathan Blake? 69 apps 35 goals whilst in a shite team. Wish McB and Brewster could could up with something similar

That was the one I was least sure about - I can't argue with his stats and that is indeed a decent return. I think his seeming 'can't be @rsed' attitude on & off the pitch convinced me to include him

Higdon.

he looked cracking in that ten minutes we scouted him on YouTube

Never rated Dominic Calvert-Lewin in the few games he played for us. Couple of years later he’s leading the line for Everton and playing for England.
and this is why we shouldn’t write off Brewster, Berge and (to a lesser extent) Oli McBurnie yet. One good season or even being in the right place, right time, they could all make the top

Can't agree with McGrath or Speed at all.

McGrath was near cripple but was regularly our best defender and Speed just made everybody around him look so good by doing the simple things perfectly.

Paul McGrath was excellent for us, despite his wrecked knees.

Agree with these, McGrath was obviously past his best with us but he was still tremendous.

I remember someone on here saying that his warm-up routine consisted of him vigorously rubbing his hands together, and he'd spend most of the match wandering around apparently aimlessly only for the ball to arrive in the exact spot he'd just strolled in to.

Lilian Nalis, came to us with a decent pedigree despite being the wrong side of 30 but was quickly bombed out to Plymouth where he ended up their player of the season

Agree with these, McGrath was obviously past his best with us but he was still tremendous.

I remember someone on here saying that his warm-up routine consisted of him vigorously rubbing his hands together, and he'd spend most of the match wandering around apparently aimlessly only for the ball to arrive in the exact spot he'd just strolled in to.
Bert can remember him away at Huddersfield, (0-0), they had two decent young forwards.

Every time they got the ball he just happened to be stood in the way.

Bert can remember him away at Huddersfield, (0-0), they had two decent young forwards.

Every time they got the ball he just happened to be stood in the way.

Bert may recall Dele Adebola and Paul Furlong coming into town with Birmingham City. Both big, powerful strikers who were knocking about Championship defenders at a whim, the former being tipped at the time to be picked up by a Premiership side and Furlong being an experienced and combative operator.

Neither won a header against McGrath. Each time they leapt McGrath gave them a gentle, blink and you miss it, nudge in the back. Trevor Francis was left scratching his head. It was truly marvellous, effortless stuff. Rodley Senior, who had seen Colquhoun, Bobby Moore, Charlton (though he hated him) in their pomp, was in raptures.

Bert may recall Dele Adebola and Paul Furlong coming into town with Birmingham City. Both big, powerful strikers who were knocking about Championship defenders at a whim, the former being tipped at the time to be picked up by a Premiership side and Furlong being an experienced and combative operator.

Neither won a header against McGrath. Each time they leapt McGrath gave them a gentle, blink and you miss it, nudge in the back. Trevor Francis was left scratching his head. It was truly marvellous, effortless stuff. Rodley Senior, who had seen Colquhoun, Bobby Moore, Charlton (though he hated him) in their pomp, was in raptures.

I remember playing against Adebola in youth games - at 14/15 he was almost as big as he is now. I wish I could say I played him as well as McGrath did but like a lot of other lads, I seemed to just bounce off him :)

Nick Henry. Came from and was part of a very decent Oldham side who had just spent 3 years battling the odds in the top flight.

Don Hutchinson never really showed his true class for us either.

He did the same to Niall Quinn at Sunderland too, may have been one of his last games.

We lost 4-2 (believe we were 2-0 up?) and even though the team as a whole conceded four goals I still remember thinking how he marshalled Quinn better than anyone I saw at that time.

I think we're clutching at straws now. To be fair most of the players suggested were well past their best when they signed for us, as in the cases of Rush and Johnstone, or were simply never good enough anyway, such as the likes of Gysbrechts, Ten Heuvel etc.

Then there are a specific bunch who, unfortunately, fell into the Kevin Midfield Blackhole, such as Howard and Britton.

I see David White mentioned but I've been watching the season reviews from that period and he scored some cracking goals to be fair and was not usually played up top. We normally had a combination of Taylor, Walker and Katchouro and then signed Fjortoft, while White played wide right.

He did the same to Niall Quinn at Sunderland too, may have been one of his last games.

We lost 4-2 (believe we were 2-0 up?) and even though the team as a whole conceded four goals I still remember thinking how he marshalled Quinn better than anyone I saw at that time.
Paul's last game was at Ipswich in November 1997. The 4-2 defeat at Sunderland was more than 2 months later.

Paul's last game was at Ipswich in November 1997. The 4-2 defeat at Sunderland was more than 2 months later.

Well that makes me look quite the fool then doesn't it. Did he play in the home game? I'm pleading that I was 7 at the time!

Brian Howard, Ashley Ward... Pretty much anyone we signed from Barnsley with the exception of Chris Morgan

Haven't seen James Harper mentioned. One of Reading's best midfielders when they were top of Championship/bottom of Prem. Thought he was a great signing when Warnock (Blackie?) brought him in...

Back
Top Bottom