Decent Players, not so decent for the Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bongleblade

Reaction score
in the past 3 years have picked up seemingly decent players who have flopped it.

We were all buzzing for McB and Brewster, Berge was the second coming at one point, Olsen is a top international keeper. But it does seem for one reason or another, that we have a knack for picking up players with decent records or potential, who haven’t done it here.

just wondering what everyones opinions are to why they might have not fulfilled their promise?

Brewster was thrown into a team devoid of any confidence, losing every week and not creating any chances (and about to play City & Liverpool I believe). I think he may yet still come good but appreciate the view that in hindsight he wasn't/isn't worth the fee we paid for him, though I'd persevere when he's fit again.

McBurnie has been incredibly disappointing after a good start for us in the PL, with Brighton away a particular high point where he dominated some of the biggest and strongest centre halves in the league. Again I think some of it is down to lack of a run of games, I can't remember the last time he started 3 or 4 games in a row since the end of the first PL season when he scored a brace against Spurs and again made Dier and Sanchez look woeful at times. Not sure it will work for him here now though, think he needs a move and a fresh start to regain some confidence and form.

Berge came to us from Belgium and within 4 weeks the season stopped, he then got played in a position he didn't look comfortable with and suffered the terrible injury against Man U that still seems to be affecting him 12 months on. There's clearly an abundance of talent and skill with Sander but whether that's suited to the hustle and bustle of the Championship (or even the fast paced Premier League) I'm not sure.

I think in all 3 cases although none of them have performed anywhere near where we'd hoped they would, although all three have to shoulder some of the blame for that they've all been dealt a pretty rough hand at times too.

Forgot Olsen - Not sure with him. Lack of desire and motivation to play in the Championship at this stage of his career? Possibly coasting until his Roma contract expires, he certainly looks a lot better for Sweden.

Nothing new, Simon Francis looked very good at Bradford, came here after Southend, and spent more time/games out on loan at Grimsby than he did for us, ended up at Bournemouth, and reached the PL

For whatever reason some clubs just seem to get more out of certain players. Two of our most frustrating signings have both been from Swansea - Britton and McBurnie. I can see McB returning there at some point, like Britton did, and doing very well again.

For whatever reason some clubs just seem to get more out of certain players. Two of our most frustrating signings have both been from Swansea - Britton and McBurnie. I can see McB returning there at some point, like Britton did, and doing very well again.
Ray Mchale
Jimmy Johnston
Chris Guthrie
Terry Curran

The Leon Britton signing was bizarre, having bought the small skilful midfield player who had experience and ability to dictate play. we proceeded to knock the ball over his head and he subsequently never touched it, through no fault of his own.

Never rated Dominic Calvert-Lewin in the few games he played for us. Couple of years later he’s leading the line for Everton and playing for England.

James Harper
Brian Howard
Leon Britton

The common theme here is central midfielders under Blackwell

James Harper was shot by the team we signed him, to be fair. I'm not sure he'd have thrived in any system.

Who was good both before and after us, but not with us?

Simon Francis, certainly, and Leon Britton from the names mentioned so far. Who else?

James Harper was shot by the team we signed him, to be fair. I'm not sure he'd have thrived in any system.
By the time he arrived at BDTBL, James Harper had given up His career as a footballer and was in training as ground crew to park planes at Manchester airport.
Apparently now working as a consultant in this field where Oliver Norwood is one of his clients

Dean Hammond was playing for United the season Leicester won the PL.

He didn't make a single appearance for Leicester that season so doesn't have a medal.
Good job I didn't let that "sink in" - what a great twitterism that is (or not), ranks alongside "name me a better.....i'll wait" for the shittest.

Who was good both before and after us, but not with us?

Simon Francis, certainly, and Leon Britton from the names mentioned so far. Who else?

Aaron Ramsdale, depending who you listen to :)

Not totally sure how good Mikele Leigertwood was for Palace before joining us (though he was a pretty regular starter in the Premier League after winning promotion with them) but he was muck for us and then went on to win promotion with QPR and Reading and was apparently very well-liked at both. I'm constantly amazed when my mrs tries to convince me how good he was for Reading.

Brian Howard
Although could be absolute garbage he did come up with some crucial goals the winner at Reading in '09 that put us into the Autos in April even though we couldn't stay there he got the away goal against Preston in the play offs which was another crucial goal but obviously we know what happens next.

Back
Top Bottom