Decent Players, not so decent for the Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Aaron Ramsdale, depending who you listen to :)

Not totally sure how good Mikele Leigertwood was for Palace before joining us (though he was a pretty regular starter in the Premier League after winning promotion with them) but he was muck for us and then went on to win promotion with QPR and Reading and was apparently very well-liked at both. I'm constantly amazed when my mrs tries to convince me how good he was for Reading.
Legsofwood made Monty's first touch look like Pele!

Two things.
Good player recruitment isn’t just about ability, it’s about the players attitude and ethics.
And loan with an agreed option to buy is a great way to reduce risk but one that we don’t seem to utilise.

always think of Wilders extensive background checks before signing players?

Daniel Bogdanovic. He was cracking for Barnsley and then meh for us.

Although could be absolute garbage he did come up with some crucial goals the winner at Reading in '09 that put us into the Autos in April even though we couldn't stay there he got the away goal against Preston in the play offs which was another crucial goal but obviously we know what happens next.
He was ok, it's just that he always played well against us (like McBurnie and Freeman really) and never really did it for us.

The most experienced member of our regular 4 that travelled home and away from the late 60’ to the 80’s said on more than one occasion -

“ We sign good players but it usually only takes about 6 weeks of our coaching to turn them into crap ones “ and on a number of occasions this turned out to be the case .

The thought has crossed my mind that in respect of some recent examples , it could be a case of history repeating itself and it certainly doesn’t help when we play them in positions they are not familiar with (see Callum Robinson and others ).

Andy Goram

Paul Parker
Phil Thompson
Paul McGrath
Steve Bruce
Terry Phelan

Jimmy Johnstone
Lee Hendrie
Gary Speed

Geoff Horsfield
Ian Rush

Andy Goram

Paul Parker
Phil Thompson
Paul McGrath
Steve Bruce
Terry Phelan

Jimmy Johnstone
Lee Hendrie
Gary Speed

Geoff Horsfield
Ian Rush
Ian Rush is possibly the worst player I've ever had the misfortune to see play.

Exciting signing for a kid at the time but turned out to be shitter than a pile of nappies at a nursery dealing with a dysentry outbreak. Mercifully only lasted four games before fucking off back to Wales with Wrexham.

I know it goes against the culture of negativity on this forum, but it cuts both ways, there are players who over performed for us compared to future moves e.g.

Tom Cowan
Paul Beesley
John Pemberton
Marcelo
Lee Morris
Agana
Woodhouse
Lee Williamson
Chris Wilder
Jordan Slew
Gareth Taylor
Martin Smith
Rob Hulse
Paul Ifill
Carl Asaba
Vas Borbokis

There are loads more who arguably had career high points at United that were never bettered before or after. In fact the club we sold them to would be very unhappy. Some transfers, in fact a high proportion crash.

Andy Goram

Paul Parker
Phil Thompson
Paul McGrath
Steve Bruce
Terry Phelan

Jimmy Johnstone
Lee Hendrie
Gary Speed

Geoff Horsfield
Ian Rush

Can't agree with McGrath or Speed at all.

McGrath was near cripple but was regularly our best defender and Speed just made everybody around him look so good by doing the simple things perfectly.

International, capped 54 times - I give you Robin Olsen. Currently being kept out of the side by an overperforming L1 standard GK.

Berge also impressed previously including at Champions League level.

Other suggestions (apologies if already mentioned:
- Terry Curran
- James Beattie (2nd time around)
- Darius Henderson
- Ched Evans (2nd time around)
- Nathan Blake
- Barry Hayles

And someone, somewhere must have rated Nosworthy at some stage in his pre-Utd career.

International, capped 54 times - I give you Robin Olsen. Currently being kept out of the side by an overperforming L1 standard GK.

Berge also impressed previously including at Champions League level.

Other suggestions (apologies if already mentioned:
- Terry Curran
- James Beattie (2nd time around)
- Darius Henderson
- Ched Evans (2nd time around)
- Nathan Blake
- Barry Hayles

And someone, somewhere must have rated Nosworthy at some stage in his pre-Utd career.

Awww come on man, his throwing technique was legendary

Back
Top Bottom