Brewster for England

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Evening Standard rating for tonight's England U21 game

RHIAN BREWSTER - 5

The Sheffield United forward looks utterly devoid of confidence. Dithered over the ball and never really looked a threat.

That's what I thought, he's embarrassingly useless

Yet he gets paid millions, if carslberg did football agents...

Andorra up next for the under 21s, if he manages to bumble one in off his backside against the trainee ski instructors and bricklayers the numptys on here will be banging on about him being better than sharp again

I feel for Brewster, (Not too much as he's earning some good money compared to me!)
Little over 12months ago and he was being touted as a future England striker about to break into Liverpool side.

His performances in the few Liverpool appearances he had inc friendlies and at Swansea suggested this was a young player with potential. I still think this is the case actually, perhaps not as promising as he was sold to us though....

What's transpired is he came to us, and we were a bit broken. For a start we weren't creating enough generally and he was trying to get used to the system we played.
The longer a drought goes on too the more it effects your confidence too, shame his effort that hit the post for instance vs Newcastle didn't go in etc. (Might not have changed the season much but might have done him some good)

By all accounts he has a lethal and powerful finish on him. So why isn't he scoring?
Positioning and runs....

All strikers miss chances, but a good striker will get themselves chances upon chances. When we knock say Sharp for missing one, invariably he gets another and scores either during the match or the next game. This is part and parcel of being a good striker.

I do think Brewster can improve on this though, and getting a goal or two would probably see this happen too. But at the min, he's still so short on confidence and probably overthinks/does too much running at times. Sometimes you need to stay still and peel off the defender, keep it simple. You don't often score when your on the corner of the box etc. which is where he's found himself too much when he's played. Be good to see him subbed on for Sharp sometimes too instead of for Ndiaye etc and playing wider.
I think he's a central type of striker.

I feel for Brewster, (Not too much as he's earning some good money compared to me!)
Little over 12months ago and he was being touted as a future England striker about to break into Liverpool side.

His performances in the few Liverpool appearances he had inc friendlies and at Swansea suggested this was a young player with potential. I still think this is the case actually, perhaps not as promising as he was sold to us though....

What's transpired is he came to us, and we were a bit broken. For a start we weren't creating enough generally and he was trying to get used to the system we played.
The longer a drought goes on too the more it effects your confidence too, shame his effort that hit the post for instance vs Newcastle didn't go in etc. (Might not have changed the season much but might have done him some good)

By all accounts he has a lethal and powerful finish on him. So why isn't he scoring?
Positioning and runs....

All strikers miss chances, but a good striker will get themselves chances upon chances. When we knock say Sharp for missing one, invariably he gets another and scores either during the match or the next game. This is part and parcel of being a good striker.

I do think Brewster can improve on this though, and getting a goal or two would probably see this happen too. But at the min, he's still so short on confidence and probably overthinks/does too much running at times. Sometimes you need to stay still and peel off the defender, keep it simple. You don't often score when your on the corner of the box etc. which is where he's found himself too much when he's played. Be good to see him subbed on for Sharp sometimes too instead of for Ndiaye etc and playing wider.
I think he's a central type of striker.

Agree with all that , theres a good player in that maybe a very very good player

The longer he rots on our bench the harder it becomes for that player to show up

Would loan him out forest or swansea or abroad in january zero point in him been on the bench

He still has a long contract 4 years I think ?

Theres potentially a very good player who will go onto performing and scoring in the Premier League, theres also potentially a dud of a player who will drop down the leagues into obscurity.

Whilst he was very disappointing think the excuses / caveats / mitigating circumstances last year are all valid.

However, we are now in a new league, with a new manager, having possession and scoring goals.

It's now on him. Simply put he's on the bench because he's not showing enough in training or in the game time he's got.

Elite sport is as much a mental game as it is physical and skill. We can talk about confidence, but its on Brewster to change his fortunes and the old phrase of "the harder i work the luckier i get" feels very apt.

He's got to show the mental fortitude to play well at this level, personally dont think a loan is right as would almost be admitting defeat. Although sounds like he's trying to turn things around going for extra training etc

Its still in his hands, but has to understand he's not got a divine right to succeed - which potentially comes from a hyped up and promising early career and time at a big club?

He's completely shot. A loan somewhere. Anywhere.

Send him to Celtic or some side that will create in a poor league. Get his confidence up

Think you are right there's no point him being at the club at the moment, we need strikers to come in and start scoring we can't carry a player who offers no goals or assists in the hope that he will come good.

He might become a very good player in time but at the moment he's showing nothing. He would be better suited out on loan in league 1 or 2 getting regular 1st team football.

Do you really think he'd play £23,000,000 better with another team ? I mean what could any other manager do for him than the two he's been under with us haven't done ?
He can't even be showing anything in training, or he'd be picked, lets face it they've had our pants down again. If he's not showing anything after all this time it's not just a blip is it, and the club has been stuck with a very expensive white Elephant,...

Watching last night at times he looked like the last pick in the playground. Sorry to say it but I'll be amazed at anything other than a mutual termination of contract in Jan 2023 with a big pay off and Rhian scuttles off never to be seen again. I really hope I'm amazed.

There is a good chance he could retire a very rich man on Blades money without scoring a league goal for us

There is a good chance he could retire a very rich man on Blades money without scoring a league goal for us
Chris will never work again 🤣 Mind you i must admit i began to worry a bit when he signed Madine , i thought what the fuck has he sign that crap git for 🤷‍♂️

Been well and truly done up like a kipper wi this kid....HTF does he even get a game in training?? would be the one, when pickin your players in playground... you said " reyt av him on your side n we'll gi ya 2 goals starst" never mind wi England U23's ...He will be remembered as the worst signing to ever be at our club

Do you really think he'd play £23,000,000 better with another team ? I mean what could any other manager do for him than the two he's been under with us haven't done ?
He can't even be showing anything in training, or he'd be picked, lets face it they've had our pants down again. If he's not showing anything after all this time it's not just a blip is it, and the club has been stuck with a very expensive white Elephant,...
Maybe he’s completely devoid of any confidence and belief in himself and feels responsible for not delivering the goods and meeting our expectations.

He is a young very good footballer who is struggling with this mentally and emotionally possibly on many levels.

I get the impression he’s the shy quite kid and finds the whole thing overwhelming

I'm surprised there isn't a thread simply entitled "how to solve a problem like Rhian?" It is a real conundrum.

The fee is the big issue. It was totally unjustifiable based on the sample size of his games being so small. Maupay went for less.

He came with the expectation of becoming the main man and that trajectory is simply way off. He's played in high profile friendlies and cup matches for Liverpool and this has someone given an unjustifiable sheen to him. He's had a Lundstram length purple patch with Swansea and that is largely it. Unless he turns into a top 6 club player, that signing will haunt Wilder's career for it's remainder.

This is an example of the recruitment being so narrowly based and just making the way down the list where somewhere on the list and for the money there should be a line that just said 'go with what we have'. Who knows he may have decided to use the guy that actually scored all the goals to get us up!

He's only 21 and isn't 22 until April. We have him on contract until Summer 2025 so at least we have time.

To me you have to get him playing regularly and scoring regularly and be prepared to write off the next 18 months in developing him with a view to either cashing in on him with 2 years still to run or having a significant final 2 years.

I still don't see how he can be considered to be ahead of Jebbison based on how last season went.

Perhaps it's merely that Jebbo was happy to take a loan because he wanted regular 90 minutes.

As difficult a pill it is to swallow, going to Sunderland on loan or back to Swansea in familiar surroundings or Forest on loan under Cooper might get him back on track.

At the time we signed him I thought it was a big ask. I actually thought after singing him, swapping a loan of him for a loan of Deeney might not have been the worst.

Either way, he isn't getting the minutes here to develop. Billy has done well as scorer and provider. Up top on his own, McBurnie is going to rotate with Billy. And Mousset coming back got the nod for the first game so he has a chance to push Billy when fit. He's arguably the most unplayable when on song.

So he has the 3 to go at. MGW is a shoo in. Berge will play further forward, Osborn has done very well on the left in a more advanced role and N'Diaye has shown promise. You're still looking at McGoldrick pushing in there too. So for me it's a rotational 3 from 5. That's before you get to experienced campaigners like Freeman and Burke who could do a job at a push.

For me we have to go backwards to go forwards on this one else he's just going to be a flop and with no opportunity to reverse that thinking.

He's just the odd man out for now. He stays with us this season and it's bad for all parties. He needs to get out and play, even of that is stepping to league one. We have to regard him as what he is - an England U21 player in need of games at a big club where opportunity is limited. 23m or not, that's just where we are at for now.

All the ingredients are their for Rhian. He is a young healthy professional footballer earning good money playing at a great club before passionate fans willing him to succeed and under an experienced manager, coaches and fitness experts and alongside a proven striker and mentor like Billy.

He has been given time to show his skill and class. Now it's up to him to prove himself at this level.

I've been a happy clapper for Brewster but he's showing no signs of improvement, if anything he's regressing.

It's a shame and I feel sorry for the lad but I don't see him making it at a decent level. Every other England player tonight looks miles better than him. He's not showing for the ball, he's moving to the wrong areas, he's basically getting nowhere near it. There's absolutely no striker's instinct left, he needs to find a new position (winger? He's looked much better there) if he wants a career in the football league.

After Didzy in 2019/20, I've not known us Blades wanting a player to succeed/score more than we do with Brewster but it's just not going to happen. Not with us anyway.

A loan somewhere and a few outings in the U23's might do him the world of good if we want to recoup anything.

Back
Top Bottom