Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My first guess is the bottom of the Moor
Probably taken from a point that would now be under the Manpower Services Commission (that's how old I am) building
Yes that's definitely the bottom of the Moor around Xmas time. There used to be an outdoor Santa's Grotto every year. Funny I was thinking about this Grotto when reading that other post about the Co-Op's Santa's Grotto at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd. You can see the Grosvenor Hotel In the background and just make out Sharpe's of Sheffield fruit & veg shop.
This is the same piece of land that had Jona the whale on show. Can you imagine that these days?? Dragging a giant dead decomposing whale around the country on an artic waggon and getting people to pay to see it for a night out!

Yes that's definitely the bottom of the Moor around Xmas time. There used to be an outdoor Santa's Grotto every year. Funny I was thinking about this Grotto when reading that other post about the Co-Op's Santa's Grotto at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd. You can see the Grosvenor Hotel In the background and just make out Sharpe's of Sheffield fruit & veg shop.
This is the same piece of land that had Jona the whale on show. Can you imagine that these days?? Dragging a giant dead decomposing whale around the country on an artic waggon and getting people to pay to see it for a night out!
Santa's Forest.

Stating the obvious that it's a one way system and the traffic is due to the illuminations, there used to be some single story shops at the bottom of the Moor opposite the Travellers, I think Bunny's and an Army stores were there. Can never remember it being one way though.

Is that Pollard's that was in or around Charles Street SEB? Did they have to relocate due to the development in the area?. I seem to remember once reading that they were one of Sheffield's oldest shops

That is, as far as I know, Charles St. As for redevelopment, I left the area 23 years ago, so quite a lot has been redeveloped.

Is that Pollard's that was in or around Charles Street SEB? Did they have to relocate due to the development in the area?. I seem to remember once reading that they were one of Sheffield's oldest shops
The picture is the Pollards on the corner of Fitzwiliam Street and Glossop Road according to Picture Sheffield. When it relocated to town it was on the left side of Charles street going towards Pinstone street, so the slope of the road would have been the other way, if you see what I mean.

I'm not 100% sure about the exact location of the handrail gennel, but it's from Solly Street/Edward Street looking NW across Netherthorpe Way.
Both grandparents lived in Netherthorpe so many an innocent day in my yoof, playing out around the maisonettes on St Phillips Road and ignoring the local hard uns.

The high rise blocks are the other side of the Ponderosa.

Back
Top Bottom