Match Thread Sheffield United v. Birmingham City - 7th August 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BIRM
BIRM
BIRM
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1628250103150.png V. 1628250111048.png
Championship Week 1 - Saturday 6th August 2021 - 20:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-birmingham-city.552/

Officials:

Referee:
Tim Robinson
Assistant Referee: George Byrne
Assistant Referee: Nik Barnard
Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

1628249796939.png
SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

We look like a team that’s only played one preseason friendly against an opponent of reasonable quality.

Bit of a mess for me.

Osborn is not a LB. Berge and Norwood both sitting deep?!

Burke and Mousset willing runners and getting some joy with their pace but there's no end product.

It's all very fluid but lacking quality. Defensively not strong enough.

Still, it was a fairly even half and they're going to have a much better season.

Plenty possession but lacking finishing touch. Mousset is playing well. We need a target man. McBurnie on for Burke for me.

1. We've had no new signings, so we've got a new manager making a formation and tactics around what he has, rather than what he wants.

2. We've had only two pre-season matches, so the players will look rusty and jaded, and they will make mistakes. They probably won't take risks due to potential counter attacks, which they're not fit or sharp enough yet to contend with.

3. There's every chance that mentally the players could lapse with the old "shit, we're losing, here we go again" mindset setting in.

Let's put some perspective into things. Losing today would not be the end of the world. It wouldn't be great but given all of the above it wouldn't be unsurprising. We will probably get off to a slow start, but let's not panic or get carried away.

Unfortunately for the powers that be at least 2 of those factors were under our direct control

Poor preseason planning and a lack of urgency in the transfer market and here we are.

not sure how we expect Slav to play his style of play when the squad doesn’t really fit it and he’s not been able to bring anyone in yet. Gaps all over the squad

promising 1st half. but last 20 mins was too long ball over reliance & hoping pass it out from the back instead of hoofing it back to Birmingham every time.

weve got best no 10 / link up player outside PL in didzy. we completely bypassed him for last 20 mins

As soon as the ball came across you could see Osborn isolated, and all you could do was just hope the Birmingham player put it wide because there's no way he wasn't winning it.

As for United, same as before, slow, ponderous, no attacking ideas, every second touch has to be a tackle, and we have an entire team who's first thought is to stop, turn, and go backwards.

Need to get someone breaking lines. Berge and Fleck not getting into it at all. Bash vibes.
We need someone with a bit of spark who can get a goal yet we've got those useless fuckers brewster and mcburnie sat on the bench... May as well chuck sharp on

Take off Burke or Norwood put on Bash and go to a back 3 with wingbacks. Think they would be more comfortable with this now we're behind.

Too much like last season.
Ponderous, slow and lacking in flair, energy and tempo.
Other than that, pretty good.
I really don't know what people expect. We have had 2 friendlies against poor opposition, no new players in so we are trying to teach players who have played 1 way for 4 years & expect them to master it in 1 game. Don't be like the pillocks in the shoutbox, not sure why they are commenting instead of playing if they know so much.

I can see what slav wants to do with his way to play ,but as said I can see why he needs 5 in some of these players are not up to it (and no I don't think they are bad players ) I for one will back his ideas you can see where we are headed but come on give him time

I really don't know what people expect. We have had 2 friendlies against poor opposition, no new players in so we are trying to teach players who have played 1 way for 4 years & expect them to master it in 1 game. Don't be like the pillocks in the shoutbox, not sure why they are commenting instead of playing if they know so much.
Dunno….I just expected better. Thought we would control the game but we’re not even close. Here’s to a better second half.

Not overly inspiring. Shakey defensively and bit disjointed with the ball.

Still few half decent chances, don't think we deserve to be behind.

Imagine come the end of the window we'll see a very different XI, through signings and returning players

Actual LB
New CB (Davies?)
CM (Vieira / Garner / Elliot)

Potentially 4 or 5 changes to this eleven

Back
Top Bottom