NEW: John Brayford Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

£1.5m for a full back in div 3 was ridiculous
tbh i thought it was a good deal at the time... he genuinely looked upper champ/PL sometimes and carried the team... i thought he was a future captain and would take us to the promised land, and to some respect i wish i was right, he captured every Blade’s heart he did!

tbh i thought it was a good deal at the time... he genuinely looked upper champ/PL sometimes and carried the team... i thought he was a future captain and would take us to the promised land, and to some respect i wish i was right, he captured every Blade’s heart he did

I remember when he signed permanent and in the first match (I sit in the JSS) I was looking forward to seeing his runs down the wing. I was disappointed as he certainly set off on his runs but no-one passed to him :(

tbh i thought it was a good deal at the time... he genuinely looked upper champ/PL sometimes and carried the team... i thought he was a future captain and would take us to the promised land, and to some respect i wish i was right, he captured every Blade’s heart he did!
It wasn’t the deal, as such, that was bad. It was the fact that we hadn’t got another pot to piss in.

Love the beard, there are not many footballers with his mindset. Great memories and to try to play the 2nd play off match against Swindon despite completely fucking his knee up just shows his character.

As expected, the truth was that we needed to offload his wages to allow Wilder to do what he needed to with squad. A shame he couldn't have stayed, he would have thrived in Wilder's team.

No surprise to see John call The Star out on their shit reporting.

I loved the beard but it was a v short lived stint for the blades. Ta for the video Hal and nick.

When did Charlie Bronson get released ?

Nowt against JB, and I enjoyed watching him as much as everyone else but the bottom line was that we needed much more than "just a right back" for such a large part of our budget.

No team ever won anything just because they had the best right back in the league.

I said so at the time, and history has proved, that our priorities were all wrong.

Nowt against JB, and I enjoyed watching him as much as everyone else but the bottom line was that we needed much more than "just a right back" for such a large part of our budget.

No team ever won anything just because they had the best right back in the league.

I said so at the time, and history has proved, that our priorities were all wrong.

That just highlights the daft spending Mal and Nigel were up to. Nothing to do with Brayford and if anything it sounds like he took a drop in wages to join us as well.

Brayford is a signing that would have made more sense had we already got back to the Championship. It was a high profile signing for League 1 and I am sure JB could have or probably should have joined a Championship club instead for the good of his own career.

Going on loan from a PL club to League 1 in the prime of your career is a big gamble to make and I think its actually harmed his career in the long term following Clough around. Okay its not ruined his career but JB in his prime is a top end Championship defender and should have been a regular at that level or higher. He clearly owes Clough a lot for giving him a chance in football but where is JB now? not the same player he was anymore due to that injury he got with us and is still at Burton at the age of 33.

yeah fair play! at the time i just thought it was gonna be a good deal, buy for 1.5m get a 4m player kind of deal, and im sure KM thought the same, but yeah youre right we shouldve had a priorities on spreading our funds

Seeing as we had loads of full backs at the time and no central defenders it would have been better spending that dough on at least two centre halves instead!
We signed Alcock i summer 2014, Kieron Freeman on 23rd Jan 2015 and then Brayford 24th Jan 2015...The day after ! Proper champ manager splurge on right backs.
Edit.. we’d also signed Ben Davies who was occasionally playing rightback!

It wasn’t the deal, as such, that was bad. It was the fact that we hadn’t got another pot to piss in.

This. A couple more signings of that quality and we’d have been very hard to stop. But whoever sanctioned the deal can’t have known it was the entire budget. The decision must have been the bastardised outcome of another Kev vs Princey sideshow.

This. A couple more signings of that quality and we’d have been very hard to stop. But whoever sanctioned the deal can’t have known it was the entire budget. The decision must have been the bastardised outcome of another Kev vs Princey sideshow.

I had a 40 minute phone call with Martin Green* and on it he basically said the Brayford singing was Phipps wanting to do something for the fans.

*I’d been to some dinner at the club where they had a comedian in who started making rape jokes. I emailed the club and complained the next day and Green phoned me up for some reason to talk about it. He was incredibly patronising.

I had a 40 minute phone call with Martin Green* and on it he basically said the Brayford singing was Phipps wanting to do something for the fans.

*I’d been to some dinner at the club where they had a comedian in who started making rape jokes. I emailed the club and complained the next day and Green phoned me up for some reason to talk about it. He was incredibly patronising.
Went to a sponsors evening, McCabe told me directly the same thing and didn’t seem happy about it.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/members/yorkblade.2575/
Well done Hal and Nick excellent interview. I'm surprised he was cool about the foul he received against the dirtiest team I've seen at Bramall Lane in memory (and that includes Wimbledon and Millwall) and pretty much screwed up any chance of promotion that year. I was also hoping for any clue as to why Clough was sacked as McCabe said it was not for 'football reasons'. He came across better than I could have hoped for.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/members/yorkblade.2575/
Well done Hal and Nick excellent interview. I'm surprised he was cool about the foul he received against the dirtiest team I've seen at Bramall Lane in memory (and that includes Wimbledon and Millwall) and pretty much screwed up any chance of promotion that year. I was also hoping for any clue as to why Clough was sacked as McCabe said it was not for 'football reasons'. He came across better than I could have hoped for.

JB has a good relationship with Clough, I doubt he would tell us much about why Clough left us. I assume it is down to what Mal and him were spending.

Watched it last night on YouTube and really enjoyed it. It's always nice to hear from a player who takes the club, and the city, to their hearts.

Great interview with a really likeable bloke.

I bumped into him in the Rising Sun when he was in a cast and recovering. Lovely bloke, happy to chat and it was very plain he loved the club and the city so GLTTL.

Be great f you could keep interviews of this quality going and thanks again for the effort of setting it up.

Back
Top Bottom