Berge to man city for 38m

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From his first game when he pocketed Zaha that was easy for him. His passing to get out of the high press was extremely impressive, especially when played centrally.
Baldock dealt with Zaha, not Berge.

His passing is good yes, but to say he saw things that others didn’t is a bit of a stretch. He’s good, but he’s not amazing, yet.

He simply hasn’t shown some of the attributes you’ve listed there when he’s played. This isn’t slagging him off. He’s obviously talented, but he’s very, very rarely been the best player on the pitch for us.

...and Bournemouth did not pay 40 million for Lerma.
Respectfully I disagree. He absolutely has shown those attributes. Maybe not consistently, as you would expect from a young-ish player in a struggling side. Honestly, I’m starting to think we deserve Lundstram judging by this thread

He carries the ball forward very well he’s not going to knock hollywood 40 yard balls but he gets you up the pitch with the ball under control consistently that’s very valuable. He needs players around him though to create the chances and take advantage of the field position he gives you.

Baldock dealt with Zaha, not Berge.

His passing is good yes, but to say he saw things that others didn’t is a bit of a stretch. He’s good, but he’s not amazing, yet.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. He already looks top drawer to me. Top clubs should be on it like a rat up a drainpipe. It's a "you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows" situation. The bad injury would be my one concern.

He carries the ball forward very well he’s not going to knock hollywood 40 yard balls but he gets you up the pitch with the ball under control consistently that’s very valuable. He needs players around him though to create the chances and take advantage of the field position he gives you.

His transition from deep into the final thirds is exemplary and a rare and valuable commodity.. It's a shame we'll probably never see him and Brewster consistently.

Agreed - can’t take credit for the term, but his rampaging elephant impression sums up part of his value.

His transition from deep into the final thirds is exemplary and a rare and valuable commodity.. It's a shame we'll probably never see him and Brewster consistently.
I was thinking about it during the Leeds game when were were determined to repeatedly give the ball away on the edge of our box how much better would we have been with a player who could put their foot in the grass turn and run 30-40 yards with the ball and then look to play. He’s a great pressure reliever and trigger for an attack he’d be great in a system with a floating number 10 type playmaker.

I was thinking about it during the Leeds game when were were determined to repeatedly give the ball away on the edge of our box how much better would we have been with a player who could put their foot in the grass turn and run 30-40 yards with the ball and then look to play. He’s a great pressure reliever and trigger for an attack he’d be great in a system with a floating number 10 type playmaker.
Just to have a midfielder that doesn’t succumb to a strong breeze would be a start

I think the release clause might be a bit higher than £25m (£30-35m) based on the deal being done pre-Covid. But I do think we'll end up with a modest profit (£25m?) and a lesson to never try anything like that again 😂😂

Back to barrel scraping
I guess we haven’t paid in full for him yet, so another chunk to deduct before we get too excited.

This proves the old adage about most Blades not knowing football if they tripped over over one. Had the same arguments over Brooks, Ramsdale, DCL Maguire, Walker etc etc. This kid is top drawer and has the highest technical ceiling of a United player since the 70s. He see passes that others don't; has brilliant balance and control and is a brilliant ball carrier. He's also strong as an ox and completely press resistant. He's a bit nesh, and not as good in the air as he should be, but blocks passing lanes very well. The stuff he needs to develop is physical, not technical.
I'd be delighted if he's here next year but can't see it. 40 million would be a bargain at current prices. Bournemouth paid that for Lermar a few years back.
But the same arguments weren’t had over those players.

it was (almost?) unanimously accepted that Walker, Brooks and Maguire were top drawer.

DCL confused a few to be fair, including me.

People thought Ramsdale was shit for 6 months because......he was shit for 6 months.

I think most people accept that there’s probably a decent player in Berge, if played in a formation that suits him, for a team that maintains lots of possession.

What (for me) isn’t debatable is that he just hasn’t been very good for us, so far.

In fairness, DCL sold cheaply isn’t a hill I want to die on. In hindsight it was needed and used well and absolutely funded the charge through the leagues. As a straight deal assessment though, Everton got him at bargain bin prices.
A lot of posters on here thought getting rid of DCL a good bit of business

That pressure reliever relieved enough pressure to deliver just 1 (ONE) single point this season.

That pressure reliever relieved enough pressure to deliver just 1 (ONE) single point this season.
I don’t think Berge on his own changes games because I don’t see him as a player who scores or assists it’s not his style of play. Maybe it will be later on maybe he’ll add that but right now he gets you up the pitch and in possession unfortunately for him and us we’ve been criminally poor using the ball and creating anything. But being a player who doesn’t change a game doesn’t make him a bad player there’s a lot of midfielders in the prem for who you could say the same. Rodri, ndidi, Henderson, Kante, doucoure and Fred are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

That’s a bit reductionist is it not?
Well, it’s a statistical fact. And as it seems acceptable for people to refer to being “top drawer” and “seeing things others don’t”, and other such meaningless phrases, let’s get a few facts into the debate.

Take a team that finished 9th. Add one “top drawer” footballer. Deliver 1 point in the following half a season.

Forgive me for being sceptical. :)

I don’t think Berge on his own changes games because I don’t see him as a player who scores or assists it’s not his style of play. Maybe it will be later on maybe he’ll add that but right now he gets you up the pitch and in possession unfortunately for him and us we’ve been criminally poor using the ball and creating anything. But being a player who doesn’t change a game doesn’t make him a bad player there’s a lot of midfielders in the prem for who you could say the same. Rodri, ndidi, Henderson, Kante, doucoure and Fred are just some I can think of off the top of my head.
Forgive me fella, but even you agree he;

Doesn’t change games
Doesn’t assist
Doesnt score goals

Add to that doesn't tackle well at all, isn’t strong in the air, isn’t fast and doesn’t cover lots of ground.

To be fair, he’s strong on the ball and carries it well when in possession. He’s got a decent pass on him.

But £38m? Taxi! 😂

Well, it’s a statistical fact. And as it seems acceptable for people to refer to being “top drawer” and “seeing things others don’t”, and other such meaningless phrases, let’s get a few facts into the debate.

Take a team that finished 9th. Add one “top drawer” footballer. Deliver 1 point on half a season.

Forgive me for being sceptical. :)
In a squad of 25 players? Led by a manager that has assumed a status of near cult leader from some quarters since he quit? How many points have Liverpool accumulated in the last 3 months? Does that not mean their players aren’t still “top drawer”? And, to refine the point, I’ve repeatedly said my references are to do with eyeballing his technical ability, I’m not disputing his lack of impact on the team’s accumulation of points.

Reports suggest City see him as a Fernandinho replacement, which speaks to your point here

Does he's have a release clause or a relegation clause?

The 2 are quite different and surely will have vastly different values.

I can see a minimum fee release clause quite rightly being above what we paid. Otherwise why agree to it in the first place. However a relegation release clause maybe lower in order to help the player find a club in the event of relegation.
Thank you for talking sense. I imagine he has both clauses, and you are bang on the relegation release clause will probably not be much more than we paid for him to ensure he doesn't have to kick a ball in the league of shin hacks

We are the Blades!we are the Blades!
Sell anyone who’s good
We are the Blades!we are the Blades!
That’s why we’re always shit.

I guess we haven’t paid in full for him yet, so another chunk to deduct before we get too excited.
You don't pay in full for anyone its spread over the length of their contracts

Pretty standard practice

This proves the old adage about most Blades not knowing football if they tripped over over one. Had the same arguments over Brooks, Ramsdale, DCL Maguire, Walker etc etc. This kid is top drawer and has the highest technical ceiling of a United player since the 70s. He see passes that others don't; has brilliant balance and control and is a brilliant ball carrier. He's also strong as an ox and completely press resistant. He's a bit nesh, and not as good in the air as he should be, but blocks passing lanes very well. The stuff he needs to develop is physical, not technical.
I'd be delighted if he's here next year but can't see it. 40 million would be a bargain at current prices. Bournemouth paid that for Lermar a few years back.
Pretty much this.

There are legitimate questions about whether he was a good fit for us, and probably his impact for us based on this. Arguing around statistics on goals and assists and is pretty meaningless.

Baffles me when this can't be separated from his innate ability. Very believe he can go right to the very top, and think he'd slot into the City midfield with ease.

Saddens me he'll inevitably be sold, but if true £38m to me feels a decent price for both parties. For us, a good fee received to allow a rebuild and for City, about the going rate for a midfielder these days.

Forgive me fella, but even you agree he;

Doesn’t change games
Doesn’t assist
Doesnt score goals

Add to that doesn't tackle well at all, isn’t strong in the air, isn’t fast and doesn’t cover lots of ground.

To be fair, he’s strong on the ball and carries it well when in possession. He’s got a decent pass on him.

But £38m? Taxi! 😂
I think 38 million is a fair fee and with where we are as a club we couldn’t turn it down but I’d be sad to see him go because in a good side that maximises those positive elements to his game I can see him being very handy at the top level. At this point he doesn’t have the real high end moments that a player like Toure had to make him one of the best in the world but is he comparable to a player like rodri he probably is.

Not to be too combative here, but are you seriously comparing Berge to Ravel Morrison and Harry Chapman? And DCL is likely to be a starting England international at the Euros. £3m looks worse and worse every year...
Obviously Berge is better than those two but the situations are comparable. He obviously has talent, but at the moment it is unfulfilled. He has played maybe two games where he looked like a genuine talent. He may develop into a world beater but it is by no means guaranteed and is coming off a serious injury. Personally I would snap someone's hand off if they offered over 30 million.

Not saying this is incorrect, and whilst I'm a big fan of Berge, and clearly he will be a top top player, struggling to see why anybody would pay close to 40M for him based on what he's done for us
Well West ham paid 60m for Haller so there's no real rhyme or reason to many a prem transfer fee
And Newcastle bought Joelinton for silly money

Another player who gets better the longer he doesn’t play.

He’s undoubtedly a talent, but he was an integral part of a side that were record breakingly shite at the start of the season.

If we can get £38m for him then brilliant, we won’t though.

Back
Top Bottom