Berge to man city for 38m

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade too long

weve come home
Reaction score
Reports the Sheffield Star
Apparently Man City want him.
I'd take that . The last years profit matched in one fell swoop.
Would give us additional funds to ensure a push.
When you can clear that much profit it's a no brainer
Especially when so many don't rate him

Be a good signing for them if they are keen on getting Haaland too.

Genk reportedly have a 20% sell on clause, so we need be driving the price up if anyone does come in with an offer.

It makes me smile when people say we should be happy to sell for what we paid for him, around £20m etc. It wouldn’t be what we paid for him, it’d be a loss.

Genk reportedly have a 20% sell on clause, so we need be driving the price up if anyone does come in with an offer.

It makes me smile when people say we should be happy to sell for what we paid for him, around £20m etc. It wouldn’t be what we paid for him, it’d be a loss.
It's 20% of any profit made on the original fee isn't it.

So if he went for £38m Genk would be looking at £3.6m if my maths is correct

If that’s the case then I stand corrected. I’m not sure though, just assumed it was 20% of any sale.

He's an odd one Berge. He's really only had 2 influential games so far in 20 odd games against Chelsea and Spurs last summer. He's been decent in a few more, although he seems to tire early in many games and in a few games he's looked decidedly average. How his worth has gone from £22m to £38m on the basis of those games is a bit of a mystery to me.

On that basis, Jaden Bogle's worth must have quadrupled this season.

I think if as reported, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham and Villa are all interested perhaps we shouldn’t be to hasty to accept the first offer 😉

If he has a precise figure in any release clause, and his preferred destination offers that figure, that might be all we can get. But 🤷‍♂️

If he has a precise figure in any release clause, and his preferred destination offers that figure, that might be all we can get. But 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, good point, if he does have a release clause figure, it’s pretty much assured we won’t get a penny more, you’re spot on there.

He's an odd one Berge. He's really only had 2 influential games so far in 20 odd games against Chelsea and Spurs last summer. He's been decent in a few more, although he seems to tire early in many games and in a few games he's looked decidedly average. How his worth has gone from £22m to £38m on the basis of those games is a bit of a mystery to me.

On that basis, Jaden Bogle's worth must have quadrupled this season.
Mystery to me.

Noooooooooo !!

UTB

Mystery to me.

Noooooooooo !!

UTB
I'm guessing that somewhere you've already explained your reasons for rating him so highly. Is that based on games for United or his previous time at Genk?

Spot on! The mantra in football seems to be say it enough times it becomes true. Have you talked to any of the swine recently?
Berge is world class, best footballer I’ve seen since Currie, at least £60 mil etc. 👍

Last edited:
Wow! We could really be in the money next season.
We need to get as much as possible for any player we sell - bleeding obvious, I know.
Hopefully we now have people who can, for once, ensure the “best” possible price.
If it is £38 million so be it, although more would be much better. If all those wealthy clubs are in for him who knows how much?
Then:
McBurnie - maybe at least £18m to Wolves;
Rams dale - at least the same to Leeds; and
Egan - £20/22 million, at the very least, to Everton.
That’s well over £90 million.
Then either we can squeeze just that bit more out of them or get an additional 5million or more from moving others on. Perhaps Robinson, Rodwell ?😉 maybe another goalkeeper or two any others?
All that - untold wealth!
Bring Verrips back that’s goalie sorted - a few incredibly judicious purchases, say five or six, and we will be on our way!
What is there not to be positive about?

Wow! We could really be in the money next season.
We need to get as much as possible for any player we sell - bleeding obvious, I know.
Hopefully we now have people who can, for once, ensure the “best” possible price.
If it is £38 million so be it, although more would be much better. If all those wealthy clubs are in for him who knows how much?
Then:
McBurnie - maybe at least £18m to Wolves;
Rams dale - at least the same to Leeds; and
Egan - £20/22 million, at the very least, to Everton.
That’s well over £90 million.
Then either we can squeeze just that bit more out of them or get an additional 5million or more from moving others on. Perhaps Robinson, Rodwell ?😉 maybe another goalkeeper or two any others?
All that - untold wealth!
Bring Verrips back that’s goalie sorted - a few incredibly judicious purchases, say five or six, and we will be on our way!
What is there not to be positive about?
I think we’re back up👍👍👍

Where's the info for the 20% come from?
I think we paid top dollar for him as he was not the finished player and still isn't 22 million was a lot for him at the time and he still has a lot to prove.

Unless Sander has the World's worst agent, forget about windfalls. There will be a release fee in the contract in the event of relegation. This is to protect the career path of a young international with CL experience from 46 games of muckannettles and without which he wouldn't have signed anyway. The fee will be a little above what we paid so that 1) he can get out easily enough 2) the fee will attract plenty of offers, which will increase his strength in wages/fee negotiation 3) we get our money back, with maybe a couple of mill for expenses on top, so save face and aren't stuck with an unhappy player.

The fact that there are seemingly plenty interested is probably more to do with the potential "bargain" he will be seen as at somewhere around 25mill rather than the prowess he's shown whilst playing. The big clubs see 25 mill as a punt in the way we see someone at 500k. The only way we do well is in sell-ons, and that, frankly, is in the lap of the Gods. If he chooses the option who wants to pay him most, he will go there and that club can stick two fingers up at anything we try to negotiate above the release fee.

In summary, we tried, he tried, it hasn't worked, we must part. Let's at least get out with a draw.

No.

it’s based on these 👀. And an encyclopaedic knowledge of what good actually looks like 😀.

UTB
So apart from stated that you know what a good footballer looks like, you aren't prepared to explain what it is about his game that is impressive.

Unless Sander has the World's worst agent, forget about windfalls. There will be a release fee in the contract in the event of relegation. This is to protect the career path of a young international with CL experience from 46 games of muckannettles and without which he wouldn't have signed anyway. The fee will be a little above what we paid so that 1) he can get out easily enough 2) the fee will attract plenty of offers, which will increase his strength in wages/fee negotiation 3) we get our money back, with maybe a couple of mill for expenses on top, so save face and aren't stuck with an unhappy player.

The fact that there are seemingly plenty interested is probably more to do with the potential "bargain" he will be seen as at somewhere around 25mill rather than the prowess he's shown whilst playing. The big clubs see 25 mill as a punt in the way we see someone at 500k. The only way we do well is in sell-ons, and that, frankly, is in the lap of the Gods. If he chooses the option who wants to pay him most, he will go there and that club can stick two fingers up at anything we try to negotiate above the release fee.

In summary, we tried, he tried, it hasn't worked, we must part. Let's at least get out with a draw.
I think the release clause might be a bit higher than £25m (£30-35m) based on the deal being done pre-Covid. But I do think we'll end up with a modest profit (£25m?) and a lesson to never try anything like that again 😂😂

Back to barrel scraping

I think if as reported, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham and Villa are all interested perhaps we shouldn’t be to hasty to accept the first offer 😉
Not saying this is incorrect, and whilst I'm a big fan of Berge, and clearly he will be a top top player, struggling to see why anybody would pay close to 40M for him based on what he's done for us

Not saying this is incorrect, and whilst I'm a big fan of Berge, and clearly he will be a top top player, struggling to see why anybody would pay close to 40M for him based on what he's done for us
Because they're not paying based on what he's done for us. They're paying on his age, potential and on what he showed at Genk

Not sure why we should be happy to sell a player that the biggest clubs in the country consider worth £40m, given the absolute state of our midfield. Said it before, he’s the best midfielder in the Championship by clear day light next year and played in the right position, gets 20+ league goals.

Back
Top Bottom