Berge to man city for 38m

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We’ll have to agree to disagree I’m afraid. I saw someone oozing ability but effectively having to cover the traffic cones playing alongside him. Wilder also had a tendency to play him out of position on the right. He’s had a handful of games in the Genk pivot, if that. Like I say, I’m not trying to argue he’s set the world alight. I just admire a player with a champions league touch, technique and ability playing in a blades shirt.
Everyone burbles on about his CL experience. I don’t watch that competition so I had never seen him. Having checked, it seems that his team got 1 point and had a goal difference of minus 15 in 6 matches. I think the only thing we can say about them in the CL was they weren’t very good.

Everyone burbles on about his CL experience. I don’t watch that competition so I had never seen him. Having checked, it seems that his team got 1 point and had a goal difference of minus 15 in 6 matches. I think the only thing we can say about them in the CL was they weren’t very good.
I was more referring to his technique and ability.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I’m afraid. I saw someone oozing ability but effectively having to cover the traffic cones playing alongside him. Wilder also had a tendency to play him out of position on the right. He’s had a handful of games in the Genk pivot, if that. Like I say, I’m not trying to argue he’s set the world alight. I just admire a player with a champions league touch, technique and ability playing in a blades shirt.
“oozing ability” - really?

I could just about accept the excuse that our formation didn’t suit him, but the idea that he’s “oozed ability” since his arrival is really pushing it.

Well, as you say, we will have to agree to disagree on that. He has shown little of either.

His big problem is how chronically slow he seems to be.
And yet rumours are Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City are preparing bids... Good enough for them, but not good enough for Sheffield United. In the Championship. With the worst midfield in living memory...

And yet rumours are Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City are preparing bids... Good enough for them, but not good enough for Sheffield United. In the Championship. With the worst midfield in living memory...
“And yet the rumours are.....”

Yep, rumours. Let’s see who bids and how much they actually pay and if they play him.

We have won one point with Berge in the team this season. One. He is a contributor to our failure.

“oozing ability” - really?

I could just about accept the excuse that our formation didn’t suit him, but the idea that he’s “oozed ability” since his arrival is really pushing it.
Yeah. Similar to Kevin McDonald or Norwood when he first came in. Those players that seemingly have a quality first touch, can see a pass, and have a calmness on the ball. Again, I’m not arguing stats, I’m referring to that innate instinct fans have when you watch someone and go ‘he’s a player’. That’s my feeling with Berge.

Yeah. Similar to Kevin McDonald or Norwood when he first came in. Those players that seemingly have a quality first touch, can see a pass, and have a calmness on the ball. Again, I’m not arguing stats, I’m referring to that innate instinct fans have when you watch someone and go ‘he’s a player’. That’s my feeling with Berge.
To be fair to you, you aren’t alone. But everyone I speak to who agrees with you refers to “you can just tell”, or similar.

There’s little reference to actual goals, assists, wins, or many actual events of any such brilliance.

To be fair to you, you aren’t alone. But everyone I speak to who agrees with you refers to “you can just tell”, or similar.

There’s little reference to actual goals, assists, wins, or many actual events of any such brilliance.
The Emperor’s New Clothes....

Yeah I suppose. I like the cut of his gib I think. Especially when his compadres play like the ball has herpes. I’ve always enjoyed seeing players that have a high technical ability, in Berge’s case I find it all the more impressive given his size.

For the money being quoted, we could buy three top drawer championship midfielders, let's face it, we'll probably need them. I agree that Berge has great potential, but so did Ravel Morrison or Harry Chapman. I would snap anyone's hand off at those prices. For me it's the same as getting rid of Adams or DCL, we lost good players but the team got stronger.

For the money being quoted, we could buy three top drawer championship midfielders, let's face it, we'll probably need them. I agree that Berge has great potential, but so did Ravel Morrison or Harry Chapman. I would snap anyone's hand off at those prices. For me it's the same as getting rid of Adams or DCL, we lost good players but the team got stronger.
Not to be too combative here, but are you seriously comparing Berge to Ravel Morrison and Harry Chapman? And DCL is likely to be a starting England international at the Euros. £3m looks worse and worse every year...

Not to be too combative here, but are you seriously comparing Berge to Ravel Morrison and Harry Chapman? And DCL is likely to be a starting England international at the Euros. £3m looks worse and worse every year...

if we had not sold Adams and DCL we would not have got out of league one. We needed the money, and invested it wisely.

Seen as we didn't even get one million it does

if we had not sold Adams and DCL we would not have got out of league one. We needed the money, and invested it wisely.
In fairness, DCL sold cheaply isn’t a hill I want to die on. In hindsight it was needed and used well and absolutely funded the charge through the leagues. As a straight deal assessment though, Everton got him at bargain bin prices.

So apart from stated that you know what a good footballer looks like, you aren't prepared to explain what it is about his game that is impressive.
If you are expecting me to explain what good looks like to someone who strongly believes Oli McBurnie is a very good footballer, I will pass !!!!

UTB

This proves the old adage about most Blades not knowing football if they tripped over over one. Had the same arguments over Brooks, Ramsdale, DCL Maguire, Walker etc etc. This kid is top drawer and has the highest technical ceiling of a United player since the 70s. He see passes that others don't; has brilliant balance and control and is a brilliant ball carrier. He's also strong as an ox and completely press resistant. He's a bit nesh, and not as good in the air as he should be, but blocks passing lanes very well. The stuff he needs to develop is physical, not technical.
I'd be delighted if he's here next year but can't see it. 40 million would be a bargain at current prices. Bournemouth paid that for Lermar a few years back.

This proves the old adage about most Blades not knowing football if they tripped over over one. Had the same arguments over Brooks, Ramsdale, DCL Maguire, Walker etc etc. This kid is top drawer and has the highest technical ceiling of a United player since the 70s. He see passes that others don't; has brilliant balance and control and is a brilliant ball carrier. He's also strong as an ox and completely press resistant. He's a bit nesh, and not as good in the air as he should be, but blocks passing lanes very well. The stuff he needs to develop is physical, not technical.
I'd be delighted if he's here next year but can't see it. 40 million would be a bargain at current prices. Bournemouth paid that for Lermar a few years back.
No surprises given my fangirling but agree 100%

He simply hasn’t shown some of the attributes you’ve listed there when he’s played. This isn’t slagging him off. He’s obviously talented, but he’s very, very rarely been the best player on the pitch for us.

...and Bournemouth did not pay 40 million for Lerma.

He simply hasn’t shown some of the attributes you’ve listed there when he’s played. This isn’t slagging him off. He’s obviously talented, but he’s very, very rarely been the best player on the pitch for us.

...and Bournemouth did not pay 40 million for Lerma.

Which attributes?

Should have added weight and speed of pass(decision making) to the above attributes btw.

Will be bumping this thread alongside the DCL one - with gusto 😉😎

The biggest challenge facing Berge is his hamstring. That was no small injury...

Seeing passes others don’t and being very good at blocking passing lanes is a bit of a stretch, he quite often went missing for large spells in games.

From his first game when he pocketed Zaha that was easy for him. His passing to get out of the high press was extremely impressive, especially when played centrally.

He's just one of those players that looks good in possession .gem

Back
Top Bottom