Berge to man city for 38m

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wow! We could really be in the money next season.
We need to get as much as possible for any player we sell - bleeding obvious, I know.
Hopefully we now have people who can, for once, ensure the “best” possible price.
If it is £38 million so be it, although more would be much better. If all those wealthy clubs are in for him who knows how much?
Then:
McBurnie - maybe at least £18m to Wolves;
Rams dale - at least the same to Leeds; and
Egan - £20/22 million, at the very least, to Everton.
That’s well over £90 million.
Then either we can squeeze just that bit more out of them or get an additional 5million or more from moving others on. Perhaps Robinson, Rodwell ?😉 maybe another goalkeeper or two any others?
All that - untold wealth!
Bring Verrips back that’s goalie sorted - a few incredibly judicious purchases, say five or six, and we will be on our way!
What is there not to be positive about?
further depleting our already depleted squad

Not sure why we should be happy to sell a player that the biggest clubs in the country consider worth £40m, given the absolute state of our midfield. Said it before, he’s the best midfielder in the Championship by clear day light next year and played in the right position, gets 20+ league goals.

It’s nothing whatsoever to be happy about, but if it means stability for the club’s future, at least there’s some solace in it.

It’ll be a while until we have a player with as much potential again.

It will 100% not be that high a price. Almost £40m for a player that’s had next to no positive impact?

It all depends on who comes in for him. Mid table clubs will get him for something around what we paid. If top six clubs chase him, the price goes silly.

Not sure why we should be happy to sell a player that the biggest clubs in the country consider worth £40m, given the absolute state of our midfield. Said it before, he’s the best midfielder in the Championship by clear day light next year and played in the right position, gets 20+ league goals.
Every single one of our midfielders have at least proved themselves for us at some point, even if they aren’t doing it now. Berge hasn’t.

I’ll bare my arse on the town hall steps if we get anywhere near the sums being dreamt up.

Every single one of our midfielders have at least proved themselves for us at some point, even if they aren’t doing it now. Berge hasn’t.

I’ll bare my arse on the town hall steps if we get anywhere near the sums being dreamt up.
He was a 22 year old lad, moving to a foreign country then locked down in said country in a once in 100 year pandemic. And he’s played about 5th of the games of the others.

It’s nothing whatsoever to be happy about, but if it means stability for the club’s future, at least there’s some solace in it.

It’ll be a while until we have a player with as much potential again.
The accounts show we’re not in quite the dire position we feared. If he has a release clause, fair enough. If not, keep him unless a stupid offer comes in.

He was a 22 year old lad, moving to a foreign country then locked down in said country in a once in 100 year pandemic. And he’s played about 5th of the games of the others.
There are a number of possible reasons why he hasn’t managed to stand out in one of the worst teams in premier league history.

I’m not sure why you’re surprised that some people are quite happy about the prospect about receiving “£38,000,000” for a non performing member of that squad.

There are a number of possible reasons why he hasn’t managed to stand out in one of the worst teams in premier league history.

I’m not sure why you’re surprised that some people are quite happy about the prospect about receiving “£38,000,000” for a non performing member of that squad.
Because I can recognise ability and talent. And if we sell him, we are highly unlikely to replace him with someone at anything like the same level. I would hardly call him non-performing, unless you’re referring to him not playing since December...

Sometimes I wonder if our fans would spot ability if it dropkicked them in the plums. As long as they run about a lot it’s good enough eh?
There’s no need to wonder, it’s categorically the case that a good number of them couldn’t.
If the bid is getting upto £40m though I can see why we’d wish him all the best if he’s wanting to go.

Because I can recognise ability and talent. And if we sell him, we are highly unlikely to replace him with someone at anything like the same level. I would hardly call him non-performing, unless you’re referring to him not playing since December...
I’m referring to our midfield ailing to perform since the day he arrived. You can’t honestly suggest he’s stood out in any way, surely?

It disturbed the setup, and we never looked the same again. It wouldn’t have been so bad if his individual brilliance shone threw, but far from it.

Like it or not, we will have to raise significant sums of money to compete. If we were to receive anywhere near the sums being discussed (of course, there’s no chance), it would make perfect sense.

I’ll accept he’s probably a good player in a different setup. But we’re miles away from being able to afford to gamble on that.

Last edited:
His release fee will have been set before he even kicked a ball for us. £35-40M sounds about right for a player who cost £23M.
I’d agree if we were still to be a Premier League team come the summer. No chance will it be that high.

20 plus league goals?

Wow.

I’m referring to our midfield ailing to perform since the day he arrived. You can’t honestly suggest he’s stood out in any way, surely?

It disturbed the setup, and never looked the same again. It wouldn’t have been so bad if his individual brilliance shone threw, but far from it.

Like it or not, we will have to raise significant sums of money to compete. If we were to receive anywhere near the sums being discussed (of course, there’s no chance), it would make perfect sense.

I’ll accept he’s probably a good player in a different setup. But we’re miles away from being able to afford to gamble on that.
I can absolutely accept that he should be sold if we need to stabilise the club. I’m just disputing those that question whether or not he’s a supremely talented boy. If a club that, with the exception of a handful, could buy any player on the planet want him for the sums quoted, that should provide enough signal of his worth surely?

I can absolutely accept that he should be sold if we need to stabilise the club. I’m just disputing those that question whether or not he’s a supremely talented boy. If a club that, with the exception of a handful, could buy any player on the planet want him for the sums quoted, that should provide enough signal of his worth surely?
I don’t believe the links being reported, based on what I’ve seen.

If we sell him for £38m, I’d have to accept those with better qualifications can see something that I can’t.

20 plus league goals?

Wow.

If we sell him for £38m, I’d have to accept those with better qualifications can see something that I can’t.
We can definitely agree that bids around £40m would be near impossible to turn down

You don’t have to accept anything till he actually does it in the pitch. He’s done precious little in English football thus far.

38 million for Berge is nuts. I’d snatch their hands off.

He won’t be here, so we will never find out, but I have seen nothing in his game to suggest he’d be a regular scorer.
It would require a shift to a more advanced position but I can see similarities to Warnock moving Michael Brown further forward resulting in him scoring for fun. I think he has to raw materials to be far more than a covering defensive midfielder. His dribbling ability is exceptional given his build, he has a great eye for a pass and cross. His technique gives him every chance to be able to add goals to his toolbox. All in my opinion clearly.

It would require a shift to a more advanced position but I can see similarities to Warnock moving Michael Brown further forward resulting in him scoring for fun. I think he has to raw materials to be far more than a covering defensive midfielder. His dribbling ability is exceptional given his build, he has a great eye for a pass and cross. His technique gives him every chance to be able to add goals to his toolbox. All in my opinion clearly.
I keep coming back to the same point with Berge: he does decent to good things once or twice a game. The odd good pass. One good tackle. A dribble past a couple of people.

the rest of the time it’s Lundstram style languid strolling, passing backwards and not much of anything else really. He can disappear for whole halves of games.

The last time I thought someone was this overrated was Leon Britton.

Does he's have a release clause or a relegation clause?

The 2 are quite different and surely will have vastly different values.

I can see a minimum fee release clause quite rightly being above what we paid. Otherwise why agree to it in the first place. However a relegation release clause maybe lower in order to help the player find a club in the event of relegation.

I keep coming back to the same point with Berge: he does decent to good things once or twice a game. The odd good pass. One good tackle. A dribble past a couple of people.

the rest of the time it’s Lundstram style languid strolling, passing backwards and not much of anything else really. He can disappear for whole halves of games.

The last time I thought someone was this overrated was Leon Britton.
We’ll have to agree to disagree I’m afraid. I saw someone oozing ability but effectively having to cover the traffic cones playing alongside him. Wilder also had a tendency to play him out of position on the right. He’s had a handful of games in the Genk pivot, if that. Like I say, I’m not trying to argue he’s set the world alight. I just admire a player with a champions league touch, technique and ability playing in a blades shirt.

Back
Top Bottom