Incoming? Alexander Blessin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Section 6, paragraph 2 of the GBE criteria does state that a GBE will be given to any manager that brings the requisite amount of ‘Pashun’ and ‘Ambishun’ regardless of prescribed time managing in a top tier. Subsequently all references to said manager must be in the form of ‘in X we trust’ where X (hitherto referred to as X) is the name of said manager.
I didn't like posting. Because it sounds like Project Fear. And I'd prefer to be wrong. But, currently, can't see how he gets a Work Permit under those regs.....

Can’t they just apply directly to the exceptions panel and pay the extra £5,000?
Absolutely. And the Exceptions Panel would deliberate and rule. But they might rule AGAINST granting a Governing Body Endorsement.

I didn't like posting. Because it sounds like Project Fear. And I'd prefer to be wrong. But, currently, can't see how he gets a Work Permit under those regs.....
I would imagine as ever with these things, they'll be a way around it. But fair play for looking up the legislation! Hadn't even crossed my mind!

Reactions: Dkc
Flatulent_Bob
Forgive me. I couldn't find by SEARCH. So, I'll ask directly. Have you "ruled" on whether Blessin would qualify for a Governing Body Endorsement? A quick reading of the regs requires;
"managed a club in a Top League for the prescribed time"

Belgian Div 1 is included as a Band 2 Top League.
Prescribed time is a cumulative total of 36 months or consecutive total of 24 months.

That is to get a GBE, face value requires three years experience as a manager in a defined Top League ... which he ain't got as he?

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files...eria/gbe-mens-managers-criteria-jan-2021.ashx
Evening Bud,
Honestly no idea, I’ve no professional experience on this so I’ll bow to your view.
I just got the criteria from the FA source and tried to interpreted it.
Using your link the criteria is set out as below; which he meets.

a) The Manager will have Overall Responsibility for the first team of the applicant club.
b) The Manager holds a UEFA professional licence/diploma or equivalent.
c) The applicant club does not have an Existing Manager. Where a club has been issued
with a GBE for an Existing Manager, a GBE will not be granted in respect of a new Manager until The FA has received written confirmation that the Existing Manager is no longer working in that capacity for the club.
d) The Manager has:
i. Managed a club in a Top League for the Prescribed Time; or
ii. Managed an international team for the Prescribed Time which had an Aggregated FIFA World Ranking of 50 or above for the entire Prescribed Time.

I can’t see any time limit around them currently being a coach or manager so I’d say by that criteria he’s fine based on being employed as a manager of club playing in a “top league” and having a Pro Licence.

I would imagine as ever with these things, they'll be a way around it. But fair play for looking up the legislation! Hadn't even crossed my mind!
I've posted on other threads that I actually have experience of assessing evidence put in front of Football Work Permit Exception Panels. (Albeit a long time ago & not under the current Hostile Environment of the Home Office approach). Basically, my role was to just ridicule the tenuous nonsense that football clubs submitted in support. That was put back to them so they'd withdraw the submission without even turning up. Brilliant.....

Evening Bud,
Honestly no idea, I’ve no professional experience on this so I’ll bow to your view.
I just got the criteria from the FA source and interpreted it.

a) The Manager will have Overall Responsibility for the first team of the applicant club.
c) The applicant club does not have an Existing Manager. Where a club has been issued
with a GBE for an Existing Manager, a GBE will not be granted in respect of a new Manager until The FA has received written confirmation that the Existing Manager is no longer working in that capacity for the club.
d) The Manager has:
ii. Managed an international team for the Prescribed Time which had an Aggregated FIFA World Ranking of 50 or above for the entire Prescribed Time.

I can’t see any time limit around them currently being a coach or manager so I’d say by that criteria he’s fine based on being employed as a manager of club playing in a “top league” and having a Pro Licence.

I think the issue is that he doesn't have the 'Managed a club in a Top League for the Prescribed Time' part covered. Only been in his current job for 11 months.

Evening Bud,

d) The Manager has:

Prescribed time. A total of 24 Consecutive or 36 Cumulative Months
Screenshot_20210405-182304_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

d) The Manager has:

I can’t see any time limit around them currently being a coach or manager so I’d say by that criteria he’s fine based on being employed as a manager of club playing in a “top league”
Prescribed Time means (a) a cumulative total of at least 36 months or (b) a consecutive total of at
least 24 months within the Reference Period.

Alexander Blessin is expected to leave KV Oostende imminently. United see Blessin as their #1 candidate. There was some thought that the Blades would wait until the end of the season, but United want to hire him with immediate effect. [voetbal24]
Think KV Oostende only have 2 games left anyway - their last league game 17th Aprl?

Prescribed time. A total of 24 Consecutive or 36 Cumulative Months
View attachment 109949
Sorry I’m reading this on a phone screen, but does it reference back to that as part of any criteria or requirement further down as I didn’t see it. Otherwise isn’t it just defining what those terms mean?

I’m just missing the link back to Prescribed time within the actual application process or criteria. If it does then I guess we’re going via the appeals process.

edit sorry, seen it now. I even quoted it :D

Last edited:

Sorry I’m reading this on a phone screen, but does it reference back to that as part of any criteria or requirement further down? Otherwise isn’t it just defining what those terms mean?
Sorry mate. Hope we aren't at cross purposes.

Paragraph 16
A Manager will only be granted a GBE if;

d. The Manager has;
I. Managed a club in a Top League for the Prescribed Time

GLOSSARY
Managed means has been a first team manager or first team head coach and, in that role, had Overall Responsibility.
Top League means any league in Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, Band 4 or Band 5.
Prescribed Time means (a) a cumulative total of at least 36 months or (b) a consecutive total of at least 24 months within the Reference Period.
Reference Period means the five year period immediately prior to the date of the application for a GBE.

My interpretation. Must have managed the.first team of a club, for example in the Belgian First Division, for a minimum of 2 years in the last 5.

Is that helping?

Sorry mate. Hope we aren't at cross purposes.

Paragraph 16
A Manager will only be granted a GBE if;

d. The Manager has;
I. Managed a club in a Top League for the Prescribed Time

GLOSSARY
Managed means has been a first team manager or first team head coach and, in that role, had Overall Responsibility.
Top League means any league in Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, Band 4 or Band 5.
Prescribed Time means (a) a cumulative total of at least 36 months or (b) a consecutive total of at least 24 months within the Reference Period.
Reference Period means the five year period immediately prior to the date of the application for a GBE.

My interpretation. Must have managed the.first team of a club, for example in the Belgian First Division, for a minimum of 2 years in the last 5.

Is that helping?
You’re absolutely right. Sorry it’s switching between screens which is throwing me. I’d say we’ve got a bit of red tape to get through which maybe is why they’ve moved before the end of the season to give them time to get it through. Wonder if anything could be done with naming him coach rather than manager as he would have experience in that role over 36 months.
Would we really have gotten this far down the line without checking? Probably.

Well frankly I’ve never heard of him so that’s an instant no from me!!!!!

RB Leipzig have a stunning record of developing young talent. Granted probably has lots to do with the the extensive scouting and academy network they have worldwide but still.

Surely Prince A and the Board will know the rules?! Knowing our luck we’ll appoint him and then be given the biggest points deduction in EFL history.

I assume the work permit rules came into force after Dec 31st 2020?

You’re absolutely right. Sorry it’s switching between screens which is throwing me. I’d say we’ve got a bit of red tape to get through which maybe is why they’ve moved before the end of the season to give them time to get it through. Wonder if anything could be done with naming him coach rather than manager as he would have experience in that role over 36 months.
Would we really have gotten this far down the line without checking? Probably.
I mean. I hear you Brother. But all we really have is press speculation, rumours, summat he followed on insta (shrugs) and a 13 page thread on here. We don't really know what the Club have been doing

I mean. I hear you Brother. But all we really have is press speculation, rumours, summat he followed on insta (shrugs) and a 13 page thread on here. We don't really know what the Club have been doing
I think given that criteria they’re in a bit of bother getting him in. Interesting that the new criteria is so strict when the players one seems so open.
I’m actually genuinely disappointed if they’ve dropped this ball and if they’ve made a concrete offer I guess he’ll have to go to our Belgian club for a year. Madness 😂

Last edited:
I think given that criteria they’re in a bit of bother getting him in. Interesting that the new criteria is so strict when the players one seems so open.
I don't want to get political. But the new regulations are influenced by the perceived "coming over here, taking our jobs" underpinning of the Brexit Vote. All countries/trading blocks protect "their workers" by insisting anyone who comes in is coming in because a national of that country can't take or do the job. On the ground, that principle has to be written down. And that's what we've got with these regs. Who shall we let in? Aaaarrrrgggghhhh fuck knows. What about someone who's managed at the top level for a long time? Sounds good. Pitch me. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh finger in the air, 2 years, 5 years, 10, more, aaaarrrrgggghhhh you choose.
Alright. Alright. Eeny meeny. 2 years at once or 3 years in bits and bobs. Go with that. Next. Plumbers?

I don't want to get political. But the new regulations are influenced by the perceived "coming over here, taking our jobs" underpinning of the Brexit Vote. All countries/trading blocks protect "their workers" by insisting anyone who comes in is coming in because a national of that country can't take or do the job. On the ground, that principle has to be written down. And that's what we've got with these regs. Who shall we let in? Aaaarrrrgggghhhh fuck knows. What about someone who's managed at the top level for a long time? Sounds good. Pitch me. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh finger in the air, 2 years, 5 years, 10, more, aaaarrrrgggghhhh you choose.
Alright. Alright. Eeny meeny. 2 years at once or 3 years in bits and bobs. Go with that. Next. Plumbers?
Yeah I can’t be arsed to get into the politics either, apart from to say Fucking Brexit.

Back
Top Bottom