The board did not sack Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's not the boards fault for not being rich.

But they can't then blame the manager and sack him if it doesn't work out.

They seem to think Wilder will just pull off a miracle every season and if that miracle doesn't happen then sack him.

Whatever happens post Wilder is on the Prince, money or no money. Not the managers fault, not some faceless Director of Footballs fault, all on the Prince
I don't think they have sacked him in that way, or I'd agree 100% .

No they didn't sack him, but call it constructive dismissal if you will. Presented with terms he wouldn't accept so took a dismissal package.
Im not saying anything further on it right now.
No reply to cw emails on next seasons transfers , maybe he knew what was coming so its happening now rather than the end of the season .utb

I don't think they have sacked him in that way, or I'd agree 100% .

It's sounds like they've seen their opportunity to take control of signing players and tried to force new terms on Wilder.

Wilder's said no, so we're in a constructive dismissal scenario.

Yes, but as bad as Weir and Adkins were they:
1. Weren’t operating in the Premier League.
2. Didn’t waste a kings ransom on players that aren’t up to scratch and, in some cases, weren’t what we needed.
3. Didn’t oversee one of the worse periods of losing form by any team, in any league, ever.
4. Didn’t spend press conferences taking potshots at the clubs hierarchy.

I’m gutted he’s gone if it’s confirmed, but only because I was hoping the Wilder of 2 years ago would re-emerge. This surrendering, petulant version I’m less sure about.
Why was we operating in the premier league ? Because of Chris wilder !!

Correct; where was the Director of Football for Clough? It’s something they know CW won’t accept and they are trying to making his position untenable so they can manage him out. If he resigns they save loads of money. It’s in their interest to make his job difficult (but make meaningless public statements of support) so they find the cheapest route of getting rid.
Different owner = different view on how to run the club - Clough/McCabe vs Wilder/Prince

If we had, or could then, we would have signed them.
All of us and CW know PA hasn't got money to bankroll the club. Our budget is just the Prem/Sky money, nothing else.
I don't think Prince has made out he's got more, and it's been pretty clear all along we don't have budget, beyond the Prem money.
Is that the boards fault, by not being rich? I don't think so, it's just the way it is.
We've struggled with trying to build a prem team in too short a time on limited funds with a few signings that didn't work as we hoped, key players imjured , few dropping form, and here we are.
That’s true and then builds perfectly into the narrative that it is all McCabe’s fault because he found the only Saudi Prince with no money....🤣

I have to admit, I'm beginning to look at this sorry state of affairs differently from yesterday. I went to bed last night with the opinion that the Prince has got it all wrong. Woke up at 3 this morning and as soon as I came round the fact that Chris will be leaving hit me like a tonne of bricks.

I couldn't get back to sleep as everything was going through my mind. I do believe that last year before the first lockdown both Chris and PA had thought they had found the magic formula of doing well in the Premier league working on a tight budget. Hence the remarks Chris kept repeating that he is not prepared to break the salary structure and was not wanting to put the future of the club at financial risk. Fast forward one year and he realises it can't be done without spending heavily to be able to compete. It seems too much of a coincidence that during this last year he has lost his mojo and we are all witnesses to that. The Prince has not the financial clout to give Chris a wage budget to compete, nor to improve the training facilities as promised and this is probably due to both the pandemic and having to pay off McCabe. And let's be honest with ourselves, we've all had to cut back on spending during these times.

All this has prompted Chris to realise it's not working out, he can't find a solution and he's working for the wrong guy at the wrong time and has been working toward the sack to get his severance pay. How many times since the Palace game when we began to realise that relegation was odds on, that we questioned why the system wasn't changed, why Lunny seemed to be first on the team sheet and so on.

Nothing will give me greater pleasure for them both to bang their heads together and to come up with a workable solution with the emphasis on the Prince to spend the next 12 months whilst we're in the championship to find a financial partner, so when we do return to the top table, we have the financial backing to compete seriously. Chris and SUFC are like a hand in glove; they are made for each other and there's no one I want more to be our manager for the next 10 years. If the rumours are correct that the Prince is paying Chris off with a substantial agreement, why isn't that money being invested in higher salaries for top players?

As for Chris, if he does leave, I wouldn't be at all surprised that he takes a couple of years out from management and takes on a lucrative deal as a TV pundit. He would be unique with his style, a great of fresh air and most channels would love to have him. Who knows, after the Prince has sold us on he would be waiting in the sidelines for a return

The worst thing is that it's us the supporters who have to go through all this chap. For many we've been with the club for over 50 years and there are many more who will be with them for 50 years more. Please United, please see sence.

Correct; where was the Director of Football for Clough? It’s something they know CW won’t accept and they are trying to making his position untenable so they can manage him out. If he resigns they save loads of money. It’s in their interest to make his job difficult (but make meaningless public statements of support) so they find the cheapest route of getting rid.
There is a chasmic difference between the structure of a club needed in League One and a sustainable Premier League club.

Even Burnley have one ffs. As do the current top 4 in the Championship.

The Prince has stated that he would not sack Wilder.

If this happens, clearly it was a mutual agreement almost certainly initiated by Wilder, or more likely a straight up resignation.

So any chance we can stop with the 'board have made a terrible decision' stuff?

Im sorry but you know SFA about what has gone off like the rest of us
Why dont you have a poll

I read all the way through that. I’m a bit over tired after also being awake most of the night thinking about this and other worries. Then your very last word was “ Sence“. 🤣

Last edited:
I do believe that last year before the first lockdown both Chris and PA had thought they had found the magic formula of doing well in the Premier league working on a tight budget. Hence the remarks Chris kept repeating that he is not prepared to break the salary structure and was not wanting to put the future of the club at financial risk. Fast forward one year and he realises it can't be done without spending heavily to be able to compete.

Firstly - great post.
Secondly - this is the point that caught my eye.

I keep seeing people defending the money Chris wasted because ‘we can’t compete with wages so we couldn’t sign the players he wanted’

First point - Chris has always said if it isn’t a good deal for the club he’ll walk away. Think he’d have matched Villa’s 70k for Watkins, 50k for Cash and Fulham’s 55k for Antonee Robinson? Nope.

Second point - the evil Mister Prince didn’t spend money he didnt have and risk the clubs future. What a cunt.

Third point - Chris has spoken as you say of the importance of the wage structure, if we brought those players in on those wages, the squad harmony would be even worse. It’s alright bringing in a Berge, or a Sanson, or an Emmanuel Dennis and making them our highest earner. But if we wanted to sign Robinson after Fulham got involved we’d have had to make him our highest earner. A left back who’s just been relegated from the Championship.

Would a Director of Football have helped us finish higher than 9th last year?
Dunno, maybe not, but it might have helped us not finish rock bottom and set records as the worst PL team in history had we had a little better recruitment this summer...

It's sounds like they've seen their opportunity to take control of signing players and tried to force new terms on Wilder.

Wilder's said no, so we're in a constructive dismissal scenario.
Maybe, and it's phrased against them. Also they might have wanted to keep Wilder and help him improve the situation with a DoF.

I know you should always take him with a large pinch of salt but Wit is retweeting things that echo the sentiment that they did, in fact, sack him.

Don't know what I make of it all yet, just adding some more info in to the mix.

Apologies if it's already been posted on here!

Screenshot_20210313-102825_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20210313-102816_Twitter.jpg

Whether you call it ‘sacked’ or not it doesn’t matter. The genius decision has been made that Wilder will no longer be with the club and they’ve made themselves look stupid by not announcing anything and leaving a lot to supposition.

Wilder is not going to walk from a financial standpoint and I hope it costs the club a lot of money to get rid, they deserve it for a stupid decision and Wilder deserves it for what he’s done.

That’s true and then builds perfectly into the narrative that it is all McCabe’s fault because he found the only Saudi Prince with no money....🤣
It's CW fault by getting us promoted from L1 to the prem and 9th spot so fast!

I jest, but I think that is the root cause.
We have rocketed so fast with nearly no money behind us. As a result we have minimal depth and no financial reserves.
It's nearly an impossible position to be in, and relegation is the most likely result.

Every body needed to be aware of that and maybe accept we would bounce up and down from the prem for a few seasons while we built a deep established squad.

Not a believer in clubs spending money willy nilly, but I do believe United should move heaven and earth to keep CW I'll bet we get some none descript in to replace him.

In all fairness to KM, didn't he find a Nigerian prince who was also skint.
And wasn't a prince.

What a load of shite.

We go through the likes of Weir and Adkins without bothering to force a 'structure' on them.

We might have forced a structure on them if they showed enough competence in their position to be worth forcing a structure upon them

We might have forced a structure on them if they showed enough competence in their position to be worth forcing a structure upon them

So prove you're good, then have a structure forced on you because actually the board don't think you're that good

Still reeling from the news and it's hard to have too strong an opinion until the dust has settled.

We've known for a while that the board wanted a DoF and Wilder didn't. Wilder probably won that argument so long as he was bringing success on the pitch. This season we're hit with the issue that his signings simply haven't been up to the job. Now that's mitigated imo by the wage structure undermining our chances of ever signing his first choices but it is what it is. Even with the threadbare squad, even with the budget restrictions, even with the injuries, I think we're all agreed that setting records for being shit this season is a step or two below expectations. A lot has gone wrong this campaign. Add to that that any other board in the country would've sacked him before Christmas and Wilder's been on borrowed time even with a majority of fans' backing.

If the board have finally put their foot down and said "Look, Wilder, we want you in the job, we want you with input on the squad, but we have to do better with this budget and that means more oversight" how much can you criticise that position given circumstances? Even if you wouldn't agree with it (I wouldn't) it's hardly the most outlandish position for a board to take. It's pretty tame all things considered.

I don't want Wilder out. I'd keep him at almost any cost. Maybe this is sympathy for the devil from me but I can imagine the kind of scenario I've imagined up being plausible and then it is what it is. It's a shit time for the club but it might not be a situation where I can fully take one side. Wilder's anything but blameless in creating this situation.

For now I think we just mourn the loss and await the details.

I see the same things happening at Beerschot as in Sheffield. He bought 50% of the club on the cheap when we were just promoted from 3rd division to 2nd, made promises to build new training facilities. 4 years later still nothing changed and we still have the worst training facility of the pro clubs. Told this winter when we were top of the table we would keep pushing for a top table finish. Then sold our best striker to a team below us in the table and on deadline day signed one crippled loannee in Bakkali who hasn’t played a minute and a decent young central defender when we have zero coverage in midfield and lack attacking flair since the sale of Tissoudali. It all seems to turn around establishing a group of worldwide clubs they can play with rather then going for the best of one club. Club interests are sacrificed for higher interests. And today we had the joy to read prince increased its interest in Beerschot from 50% to 75%. We have a very bit summer coming up. At Beerschot we expect serious investment in the squad because everyone is predicting a very tough second season in the top flight without good recruitment. At Sheffield prince needs to show he will ensure an immediate promotion challenge. Anything less and we should do a Duchâtelet out campaign because it is starting to look a lot like what Duchâtelet did at Charlton and his other clubs around the globe. Finally, after doing a lot of harm he was expelled by continuous supporters protest.

I take the view there are faults on both sides. The Prince for not providing the funds to build the training facilities which appears to be the start of CW's anger at the beginning of the season. CW for taking umbridge at the purchase of Coubilay and seemingly taking his ball home from that point which may be a factor in why we have had such an disaster of a season. I get the impression it has been swords drawn between both parties since then. What Stephen Bettis as CEO has been doing in this period to allow us to get to this unseemly position where the dispute is being played out on social media and in the press is open to question.

I have no issue with United World as a concept provided sustainability includes investment and not just selling off the family silver. SUFC off the field has been found wanting in the EPL so an improved recruitment structure would be of benefit to the Club IMO. You do however have to take people with you when implementing change and if CW has been excluded from decisions then he is entitled to rail against them. If on the other hand he has been consulted and refused point blank to accept change then more fool him at a time when his negotiating position is weak as a result of poor performance.

What is required is 100% focus on SUFC by the Board, not the stretching of resources across a number of clubs. When I read Purple Rains comments highlighted in bold above I become increasingly concerned that the UW concept in the short term will be damaging to both clubs due to a lack of funding and resources. I have experienced many new dawns in business that have failed because key people have become jack of all trades and masters of none. Selfishly I want the Prince to concentrate solely on SUFC, Purple Rain will say the same about Beerschot.

We appear to be past the point of no return with CW as both sides have adopted entrenched positions, there are never any winners in that situation. No-one is bigger than the Club Owner or Manager.

Whether CW leaves by mutual consent or not we will have lost a valuable resource that will be an ongoing cost to the Club from a financial and reputational perspective.

Moving forward the Prince has to commit funds and timescales to the training complex and come out and explain his plan for SUFC in the Championship. This is vital to allay the growing suspicion that he does not have the financial backing to take the Club forward. Failure to do so will be negligent and will erode any remaining support he has amongst the fan base.

What a load of shite.

We go through the likes of Weir and Adkins without bothering to force a 'structure' on them.

Then we get a successful and widely admired manager and decide the best thing to do is force stuff on him and piss him off so that he leaves.

What a bunch of wankers

I hope Prince Abdullah sells up as soon as possible and never ventures anywhere near Bramall Lane again.

Different boards entirely, so I would imagine the structure point is a bit moot.

Keeping my powder dry regarding opinions on the individuals concerned as there just isn't enough accurate info, only assumptions. But I will say this, neither side is coming out of this well so far, and as ever it's the club that suffers.

Back
Top Bottom