RCB + LCB

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blades14

Reaction score
I think its important we sign a young player for both of these roles and ones that is arguably going to go straight into the Starting XI or pushing for a start atleast

Agree, If by what it seems we are using 3atb for eternity we may as well start planning for the long term well being of the club by getting young lads blooded into the role over the course of the next couple of seasons. And we need more then the simple "cover" that poor players like Robinson and Bryan have given us.

Last edited:
Agree, If by what it seems we are using 3atb for eternity we may as well start planning for the long term well being of the club and getting young lads blooded into the role over the course of the next couple of seasons. And we need more then the simple "cover" that poor players like Robinson and Bryan have given us.
You always need three centre backs, either to play in a 5 or to have a back four with a reserve.

Agree, If by what it seems we are using 3atb for eternity we may as well start planning for the long term well being of the club by getting young lads blooded into the role over the course of the next couple of seasons. And we need more then the simple "cover" that poor players like Robinson and Bryan have given us.
Don't forget to leave out jag's and rodwell

Hasnt anybody told you we need to change the system
All the playstation managers have said so the system / shape its broken

Hasnt anybody told you we need to change the system
All the playstation managers have said so the system / shape its broken
He's not going to change it anytime soon so we may aswell invest

I think we are forgetting that identifying any Premier League level RCB & LCB who can attack as well as defend is going to be pretty fucking difficult. It has been proved over 18 games that it is basically an ineffective tactic.

The exception being Newcastle, who for whatever reason, decided to give us the ball and play with 10 behind it without pressing us, therefore allowing us to push forward much more.

I think we are forgetting that identifying any Premier League level RCB & LCB who can attack as well as defend is going to be pretty fucking difficult. It has been proved over 18 games that it is basically an ineffective tactic.

The exception being Newcastle, who for whatever reason, decided to give us the ball and play with 10 behind it without pressing us, therefore allowing us to push forward much more.
This doesn't make sense mate, RE "an ineffective tactic"... Helped us from League One to 9th in Prem.

Basham and O'Connell do it fantastically. Have done for years. Bash still does even in this bad season.

But it's hard to upgrade them without dropping £50mill per position.

Equally different to find a youngster who could be their equal.

This doesn't make sense mate, RE "an ineffective tactic"... Helped us from League One to 9th in Prem.
Don't stop there. What happened after that?
If it's the system that got us there then it's the system that got us into this embarrassing situation, right? Works both ways.

Don't stop there. What happened after that?
If it's the system that got us there then it's the system that got us into this embarrassing situation, right? Works both ways.
I wouldn't say that at all. The fact that 4 or 5 of our key players have been completely off form since the pandemic... Is surely, quite obviously, the problem.

Stevens - Previously one of the best LWBs in league. Awful since March.
JOC - Bad though injured.
Norwood - Absolutely vital last season despite his pace. Since March absolutely not vital, somehow even slower.
Fleck - Vital since League 1. Awful since March.
Lundstram - Probably poor since Xmas tbf, but often awful since March.

I don't know why anyone bothers criticising tactics or summer signings tbh.

They're the problems. Heroes of mine (well, not Lunny though I don't dislike him)... But simple facts.

I wouldn't say that at all. The fact that 4 or 5 of our key players have been completely off form since the pandemic... Is surely, quite obviously, the problem.

Stevens - Previously one of the best LWBs in league. Awful since March.
JOC - Bad though injured.
Norwood - Absolutely vital last season despite his pace. Since March absolutely not vital, somehow even slower.
Fleck - Vital since League 1. Awful since March.
Lundstram - Probably poor since Xmas tbf, but often awful since March.

I don't know why anyone bothers criticising tactics or summer signings tbh.

They're the problems. Heroes of mine (well, not Lunny though I don't dislike him)... But simple facts.
So definitely not the system?

Not even worth trying summat a bit different just on the off chance it stops us being Banter FC?

The system only works if we've got a squad of players who can play it...this season would suggest we're short at least a LCB and probably a RCB if Bash was to drop out
agreed but even if we did have the players to play it the rest of the premier league newcastle apart have nulified it in the way they set up against it we got away with it last year with it being new to these teams

agreed but even if we did have the players to play it the rest of the premier league newcastle apart have nulified it in the way they set up against it we got away with it last year with it being new to these teams
Agreed. There's no excuse for us not having a Plan B (going 4 at the back) but we haven't even got enough midfielders to do that. Poor recruitment in the summer

Agreed. There's no excuse for us not having a Plan B (going 4 at the back) but we haven't even got enough midfielders to do that. Poor recruitment in the summer
well its sounding like chris is getting twitchy about anybody who questions this 352 system but dont know why when its obviously not working with the personel just now hes really suprised me by his stubborness on this

well its sounding like chris is getting twitchy about anybody who questions this 352 system but dont know why when its obviously not working with the personel just now hes really suprised me by his stubborness on this
With the players we have 4-4-2 is fucking nuts.
Egan and Bash as a two would get exposed time and time again. The only one of our central defenders who could play in a 2 at this level is injured.

We should have another option when Plan A isn’t working. If you pin our wingbacks back, our forwards end up isolated.
The stubbornness is strange because he was quick to adopt the 352 in League 1 during the poor start we had in the promotion season and has tweaked things previously when it’s not been working

With the players we have 4-4-2 is fucking nuts.
Egan and Bash as a two would get exposed time and time again. The only one of our central defenders who could play in a 2 at this level is injured.
wouldnt go 442 anyway i would go 451 put ampadu alongside egan and have basham sitting in front of em as the holding midfielder doesnt always have to be a negative to play 4 at the back so long as you have protection in front of them that system would also allow us to get baldock and bogle on the right and stevens and osborn down the left

We got this guy from Brighton (?) in the summer. Scored for u23s against Hull last week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210125_210920_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210125_210920_com.android.chrome.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 24
I think its important we sign a young player for both of these roles and ones that is arguably going to go straight into the Starting XI or pushing for a start atleast
Don’t need one for the left hand side. RND can play there and I’m sure it was said that there was a plan form him to be developed there.

We got this guy from Brighton (?) in the summer. Scored for u23s against Hull last week.
Left sided centreback and polish under 21 international the limited views of Brighton fans on him seemed to be mixed.

Don’t need one for the left hand side. RND can play there and I’m sure it was said that there was a plan form him to be developed there.
RND being 5ft9 leaves us in the same problems when Robinson + Stevens playing was there. Players peel off the main CB and onto them. Rather have someone much more commanding and dominant in the air

RND being 5ft9 leaves us in the same problems when Robinson + Stevens playing was there. Players peel off the main CB and onto them. Rather have someone much more commanding and dominant in the air
Im certain he’s taller than that, and from what I can see posted about his height seems to suggest as much.

Back
Top Bottom