Is Wilder Really Going To See This Out?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You do realise that by selling Brooks it allowed him to bring in the likes of Egan and Norwood? You know the 2 players instrumental in our promotion. I’m sure Brooks is that good he could play centre half or even holding midfield pinging balls all over. Do you think if he could have brought these players in and kept brooks he would have done it! The player also wanted to play in the PL.
I mean come on should I be replying to bollocks like this. Even people who want wilder out can’t argue this being a negative of the manager. I rally despair sometimes at our fan base.
Despair at your tunnel vision. We can and should have both, thought the new owners were different.
My own view is that Wilder does not like skill players so probably didn't fight hard to keep him. Wasn't always automatic choice in his teams.
You reap what you sow

Well we are halfway through the season and if Wilder doesn't get results to pick up in the rest of the season then I think the Prince will have to sack him. We can't be allowed to drop into the Championship with the present losing mentality. I can honestly see if we are mathematically down by the start of March Wilder won't have a choice of seeing this out he will be gone with maybe Paul Heckingbottom taking temporary charge until the end of the season.

Despair at your tunnel vision. We can and should have both, thought the new owners were different.
My own view is that Wilder does not like skill players so probably didn't fight hard to keep him. Wasn't always automatic choice in his teams.
You reap what you sow

And I want to walk on the moon pal but that the way it goes. You do actually realise what division we were in 4 years ago yet you think we should be signing players and not selling anyone to fund it? Have a little look across the city pal and see how well that policy went.
In fact you don’t have to look across the city at all I’ve looked through your post history joined Nov 20 and every comment had been derogatory towards the club and the manager. Now call me paranoid but that’s a little fishy don’t you think?

Wilder knows he’s ultimately failed in his dream of establishing the club in the Prem.
Instead of buying players with Premier league experience, forthe here and now he went for youth and we’ve been caught with our trousers round our collective ankles.
But looking around I can’t see anyone who even comes close to being able to lead us out of the Championship again.
It did feel like this summer was similar to Warnock's January Transfer Window.

There was a desire to look forward whilst taking too much of an eye off the present.

Well we are halfway through the season and if Wilder doesn't get results to pick up in the rest of the season then I think the Prince will have to sack him. We can't be allowed to drop into the Championship with the present losing mentality. I can honestly see if we are mathematically down by the start of March Wilder won't have a choice of seeing this out he will be gone with maybe Paul Heckingbottom taking temporary charge until the end of the season.

Sack Wilder and bring in Paul Heckingbottom till the end of the season? That’s me done night all.

The Eddie Howe that took Brooks for peanuts and made him worth £40m, also took Ramsdale and sold him back to us for £18m.

Yeah I i'd take Eddie.

Brooks isnt worth £40m.
Howe had gone from Bournemouth by the time we signed Ramsdale but he did make him his No1 keeper in a side that got relegated with a wage budget more than double ours
I dont think the Prince would give Howe anywhere near the budget he had at Bournemouth

So, the one thing that is evident is that we all care deeply about the club, hence why everyone is getting a little bit upset with people's views, football is all about views, that's why we love it.
If Wilder goes, either pushed or walks: Who comes in? There are no managers out there that in my opinion could turn this team around quick enough to avoid relegation.
Any new manager would expect transfer activity, again, not normal blades transfers, unless we spend ridiculous will keep us up.
We have not spent big money in the current premier league scale of things, it just seems big as we are not used to it.
We have come a long way in a short time, too quick some might argue, but, I would rather stay on this train knowing that the driver knows what he is doing.
It's heart breaking but this season we are shafted, think we need to accept it, plan for next year with the current squad, minus a few, and go again. If 10 games in its same old, then Wilder has to go. He will always be one of our own who got us to the prem with a bunch of lower league players.
Let's try and stay united everyone, big hugs to all, tin hat on!

IMHO:

1) Wilder won't be sacked
2) Wilder won't resign
3) He knows the player aren't good enough, but still protects their integrity and won't throw them individually under a bus
4) He'll already be rethinking/preparing for next season
5) He'll know who will be sold / released / retained for next season
6) 1 of the clubs lists of 4 player requirements - which we always prepare apparently (ie: the one for relegation) will be implemented
7) He'll ditch 352 as unworkable at Premier league level and reinvent himself and coaching management with a new system, loosely around his original favourite of 442 or 433 but with 4 as a defensive unit and with full backs that push on. (Bogle and RND is my guess)
8) Players who don't fit the new system and who won't/can't fit it will be ousted or moved on/out - just like when he first joined.
9) It will take possibly 2 years - he starts again with a much better starting base.

10) He won't give in because he is actually one of us and will want to try again and learn from his mistakes and prove some doubters wrong and for me he has the mentality, strength of character and ability to pull it off.

UTB

PS: we'll beat Plymouth because we will play a very very good team against them - he hates to lose in any game, plus: have some of you lot seen the state of the bottom two divisions. Even the championship teams don't punish mistakes like the Prem teams do.
He should be used to losing fucking games it happens every week!!

Hasn’t Eddie Howe had a much in fact much is the wrong word massive budget and for Bournemouth relegated. He also signed Ramsdale and made him is number one keeper.
So a couple of things you are berating our manager for Eddie Howe has been much more culpable of. I won’t mention Burnley either.
Here's how I stand:
Wilder has done an amazing job getting us where we are. The alternatives, of which we have seen many over the past decade do not exactly show greener pastures. So I'm not in the get rid camp unless there is a far better alternative as part of that equation.

I do think in the summer we went for the wrong strategy. 36m+ on players who wouldn't be first picks and would not replace the old guard seems too much to be on the sidelines. The main XI needed reenforcing. I also think the money we paid for Ramsdale was an extravagance. I would have gone for Neil Etheridge who joined Birmingham for just 2m and did well for Cardiff in the top flight. Has a greater body of work behind him and a much smaller outlay.

I also acknowledge that wages are an issue. Though I'm not clear to what point. It seems we missed out on Watkins, Robinson and Cash. Would they have kicked us on further? Perhaps. But the big issue right now seems to be the midfield and nothing was really done to further enhance the attacking effectiveness of this. Could we have paid higher wages if we hadn't recruited so many and with such high fees? E.g. we take Etheridge instead of Ramsdale and commit 16m less on deals for a keeper, we give Freeman and other year and we stick with Osborn as back up left back. Now you have 27m more. Could that not have been put towards wages of a PL experienced midfielder? I'm just hypothesising but with fewer additions of higher quality we'd certainly be better off.

All attention must turn to the Championship in terms of recruitment. Spending money on expensive loan signings to 'help these guys out' is something I would definitely veto now. This would just be money wasted. Better to target players for next season in the knowledge that is why they join. Could be a Ben Pearson at Preston, could be a league one or Championship player excelling that we think is already good enough for the Championship etc.

Sensible, rational heads needed now with a view to the longer term.

Last edited:
"Sorry Chris, I'll always cherish the way you picked up a team that was getting shitstomped by the likes of Gillingham and Crewe, then subsequently won that division with 100 points, then took just two seasons to go straight through the Championship, defy the expectations of "experts" (both professional and armchair) to not only survive the Premier League but still have people talking of European football as late as July.
But unfortunately, some of your recent signings haven't been very successful, so if you don't mind, could you kindly fuck off out the back door, and once you've fucked off far enough, maybe go fuck yourself to top it off?"

Our fanbase ladies and gentlemen: Best in the world.

Leicester fans Ranieri.

He will stay and if it’s championship football next year give him and Alan another go. WHO FUCKING ELSE COULD MANAGE THIS TEAM OR WHO WOULD KNOW THIS CLUB THROUGH AND THROUGH LIKE US. This is just my opinion.
Of all the clubs in the entire league why the fuck are we different from anbody else, what is it it with this knowing the club issue, why are we stuck with this bladey bladey thing it's like a fucking noose hung round our necks!! If Wilder eventually goes what next Brian Deane , Glyn Hodges, Montgomery FFS!?

Some good points especially buying players for NOW, even if we had brought an old experienced prem players just for one season just to keep us up there would have been better, I disagree about coming back up though , I think we will come straight back next season .
I would love it to happen wavy but we really need to finish with a few wins for a confidence boost going into the new season. I'm struggling to see where the wins will come from unless we get an experienced midfielder in on loan or a permanent and who will want to come? Its fubar mate.

So, the one thing that is evident is that we all care deeply about the club, hence why everyone is getting a little bit upset with people's views, football is all about views, that's why we love it.
If Wilder goes, either pushed or walks: Who comes in? There are no managers out there that in my opinion could turn this team around quick enough to avoid relegation.
Any new manager would expect transfer activity, again, not normal blades transfers, unless we spend ridiculous will keep us up.
We have not spent big money in the current premier league scale of things, it just seems big as we are not used to it.
We have come a long way in a short time, too quick some might argue, but, I would rather stay on this train knowing that the driver knows what he is doing.
It's heart breaking but this season we are shafted, think we need to accept it, plan for next year with the current squad, minus a few, and go again. If 10 games in its same old, then Wilder has to go. He will always be one of our own who got us to the prem with a bunch of lower league players.
Let's try and stay united everyone, big hugs to all, tin hat on!

I really wish I could share your conciliatory outlook, I honestly do, but I've seen this too many times. There's a significant section of this fanbase who will always turn on their best.

Bassett copped for it by the end, even though everyone knew full well that his hands were tied

I can't stand Neil Warnock personally, but he was 100% correct when he said that the fans chanted his name one week and were then calling for his head the next.

They then slagged off Billy Sharp when his goals were keeping us in League One and then firing 30 goals to get us promoted the following season.

It's Wilders turn now, he'll get dogs abuse between now and May.

The more things change, the more they stay the same at this club.

The 'our fans are the worst' bollocks makes me laugh.

Based on a small minority on social media?

Even people in the game have been saying we're missing fans as much as anyone and that our ground is one of the most intimidating.

We've won one league game and drawn two in 22 attempts. We've got 5 points at the halfway point of the season and are on course to be the worst team in PL history with the media starting to laugh at us.

Yet there isn't even anything like the clamour to remove Wilder that you see at other clubs for much less.

Most vindictive fans? Fucking hysterical hyperbolic thundercuntish tripe.

The 'our fans are the worst' bollocks makes me laugh.

Based on a small minority on social media?

Even people in the game have been saying we're missing fans as much as anyone and that our ground is one of the most intimidating.

We've won one league game and drawn two in 22 attempts. We've got 5 points at the halfway point of the season and are on course to be the worst team in PL history with the media starting to laugh at us.

Yet there isn't even anything like the clamour to remove Wilder that you see at other clubs for much less.

Most vindictive fans? Fucking hysterical hyperbolic thundercuntish tripe.

Nah, I was right first time. I hear your lot in the stands, always the biggest gobs and the emptiest heads.

You've remained refreshingly unchanged after 4 years, I like that 👍🏻

I did find his post-game interview on Football Heaven a bit delusional tbh.

I never thought "there was something to be had from the game" after 4 mins.

:/

I think Wilder has shown childish petulance in recent weeks with not naming a full bench and other veiled digs at the board. Its not taking the club forwards.
He did great last year with a team on the up and with full crowd backing. Since Covid a lot of the established team plays have lost their edge (Fleck, Norwood, Lunny, Bash, Egan, Stevens, Mousse and Baldock)
He has become totally fixated on the system instead of 'having a go'.
He has wasted huge amounts of cash on certain players and then left key positions in the team in the hands of backup (that's being kind) players.
He needs to face facts that he needs help to recruit better. He needs a DOF who he trusts above him.
There are glaring holes in the team and squad that need addressing.
I am not sure he is the man to put them right.
I like that he is Sheff Utd and ambitious but doesn't seem to be a post covid manager. Not sure there are many decent alternatives though.
I have never wanted him sacked and agree with others who ask who would replace him. I would hope that someone like Van Winkle would answer that one.

But like you have mentioned there are glaring holes in the squad that he needs to be accountable for answering. Go through the squad and put players in their best positions and it looks like this:

GK: ?
RWB: Baldock Bogle
LWB: Stevens Osborn Bryan Robinson Lowe (RND)
RCH: Basham
CB: Egan
LCH: O'Connell
RCM: Lundstram Berge
CM: Norwood Berge
LCM: Fleck
AM: McGoldrick
CF: Burke Brewster McBurnie Mooset Sharp

Ampadu is not our player and there are differing opinions on what his best position is. Bryan played as lwb in pre season and played well against the opposition we played against. Should Jags' or Rodwell be included? I don't think so. Moore was deemed not good enough for the championship and is still diving over the ball in the manu game. I can't name another goalkeeper as I haven't seen Verrips and the other 2 that I have aren't better than Moore.

I will hold my hand up and say I was against anyone who was advocating wilder out. But to say that is our squad after 2 seasons of premier league money, however with decreased match day income, is appalling and it really pains me to say it. Any injuries and we are left with square pegs in round holes. Same for any loss of form. There also seems to be an aversion to individual flair that others have mentioned when looking at transfers because they can't fit into the system.

I know I joked about Bogle not getting any time after his Brighton debut goal as he was on the wrong side of the box to his position in the team but it really does make you think. Anyone with individual flair seems to be avoided for average Joe's. Jack of all trades who can cover multiple positions.

Let me ask you this how do we afford these premier league established players? Forget about the transfer fees we couldn’t afford their wages simple as that. Jesus wept we were bringing in free transfers a couple of years ago now people think we should be signing premier league established players.

You when absolutely no facts to back up your argument nobody will be good enough to get us out of the championship. That team walks the championship I’m nu opinion. All the players there have played in the championship and have done well. You may want to watch a couple of championship games it may suppose you how poor it is. The gap between the championship and the PL has never been bigger.
Let me change that to, players with Premier league experience. I’m not talking about players at the top of their game here. I feel we could have loaned in that sort of experience early doors.

Let me change that to, players with Premier league experience. I’m not talking about players at the top of their game here. I feel we could have loaned in that sort of experience early doors.
Without even thinking, given Henderson went back to Man U, we could have loaned the guy he would have replaced - an Argentine international with about 120 caps instead of a jittery kid and had a fair bit of capital.

He will stay and if it’s championship football next year give him and Alan another go. WHO FUCKING ELSE COULD MANAGE THIS TEAM OR WHO WOULD KNOW THIS CLUB THROUGH AND THROUGH LIKE US. This is just my opinion.
How many games would you give him if this form continued in the Championship ?

And I want to walk on the moon pal but that the way it goes. You do actually realise what division we were in 4 years ago yet you think we should be signing players and not selling anyone to fund it? Have a little look across the city pal and see how well that policy went.
In fact you don’t have to look across the city at all I’ve looked through your post history joined Nov 20 and every comment had been derogatory towards the club and the manager. Now call me paranoid but that’s a little fishy don’t you think?
So is the first division the level we should be judged against? Should Wednesday be the level we should be judged against?
Sorry I think United belong with the elite and I am very disappointed with the poor Mangement both on and off the pitch and think the supporters deserve better.
Has there been something positive to say since November?

some of our better players don't try because they know the club will have to sell them in the summer and they go back to the Premier League.
I think some of them will be in for a nasty shock if that really is what they're thinking

On a general point, who knew that JO'C's injury would mean he was out for the most part of season?

Does anybody remember Fleck also being unavailable for weeks due to injury?

Things might have been a whole lot (well, a fair bit) different had these two been regulars this season and had CWAK had a working crystal ball, he might have bought very differently in the summer

Match stats were very similar

15 shots to their 14
On target 5 to their 5
Corners 5 to their 7
Possession not bad at 42% to their 58%
They are the most misleading match stats of the season and don't tell the story of how Spurs didn't have to try after we gifted them a goal early doors. Lloris didn't have a decent save to make all game, the only decent chance apart from the goal was the block by Dier on Bogle.

Corners are a waste of time for us at the moment and every time they have one we look shit scared.

When a team scores early on you'd expect the other team to dominate possession to try and get back in the game. Spurs led from the 5th minute and still had more of the ball than us.

He’s obviously frustrated with the lack of transfer activity so far this month with his “I don’t want to talk about transfers, I’ve nothing to say” press conference.

a couple of heavy defeats in the next two games and he’ll walk I recon.

Hi, Stegosaueus here

He only has himself to blame by spaffing money.up the wall

I think the FA cup will have an effect on this. A 0 1 loss to Plymouth next week might see him go. I don't want him to, I'd give him the first half of next season as I think he's earned it but this stubberness at shoehorning a left centre back into this formation is starting to wear thin. When we have the players for it it's brilliant but without JOC it just hasn't worked and now we are half way through the season and we'll adrift. We can all see it doesn't work and results speak for themselves so why hasn't he changed it. This failure to adapt may well lose him his job
I struggle to understand the obsession with the answer to our plight being JOC. He’s one player in a large squad. If we really think the answer to our future in the PL rests on him being fit we are really in trouble. Fact is, every season, in the PL, teams evolve, tactically and in personnel. We haven’t. That doesn’t take anything away from the achievements of recent years but we’re in with the big boys now and one great season is irrelevant. We reached a peak and clearly don’t have the staff, in lots of areas, to repeat it. Player recruitment is a big issue but, more worrying is the apparent inability of CW and AK to develop tactically. I said last season that we had been sussed, and received loads of stick. We were, have been and still don’t demonstrate any ability to innovate. Playing fucking Norwood every week when teams know that all they have do is press him and he’s exposed is the most glaring example.

I've never thought he should be sacked, and I still don't. If he wants another go at the Championship he should start next season and let's see where we are after a dozen games of that.

However..... he has in my view developed PBS (that's Phil Brown Syndrome). Having had a decent PL season and received unending praise from fellow coaches and media lackeys for 2 years he believed himself to be some sort of footballing genius. After all, the so-far-potless Bielsa more or less said so.

This has had quite an effect on his spiky personality, with his now steadfast belief in the system that brought him this adulation. To ditch that now would be an admission of fallibility which his ego may not be able to stand.

And we have all paid the price for it.

But never mind, football starts again in 7 or 8 months time.

Been saying this for a few months as well.
Himself and his players have basically believed the hype.

For people saying change formation. Well if you've been coached to a system for the best part of 3 years. Is it easy to just switch it up and know your role in a new system?
And do we have the squad to switch to a new formation and system?

Back
Top Bottom