The Case for Eddie Howe

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In an ideal world we’d have the Wilder of old at the helm managing a new group of fresh, hungry players.

That version of CW seems a distant memory at the minute though. Also his recruitment over the last two years has been largely poor, so is he still capable of rebuilding the squad?

I think so, yes. Compared to the team that entered the Champ in the first season we're in an extremely powerful position. If, on the other hand, we have no budget and a fire sale, he's proven he can manage with no money for the best part of twenty years. Believe it or not, even United in the Champ under these circumstances represents salubrious conditions and optimistic times compared to the majority of the last 50 years. Talented, mainly young squad of assets; excellent youth prospects on verge of breaking through; management team with an exceptional football league record; three years of parachute payments; a worldwide collection of clubs that could bare fruit...

The counter argument is that your post is factually incorrect. Bournemouth were in admin when he took over first time. They were in the fourth division with no money and a 17 point deduction.

Ok, I'll give you that. But it's a tiny list compared to CW.

And just when you think you've got peace and quiet, he'll get banned again and come back with yet another name... and the cycle goes on.....
Banned for willing to suggest a new manager, yes, that's what I thought

The counter argument is that your post is factually incorrect. Bournemouth were in admin when he took over first time. They were in the fourth division with no money and a 17 point deduction.

Which he overcame to keep them up, then in his first full season got them promoted to L1. Bit like what CWAK did at Northampton (but slightly quicker tbf).

I want us to stick with CWAK but to suggest Howe is not a first rate manager, or that it was all down to Denim's money is bonkers.

Worst case scenario and Wilder walks/is sacked, someone like Howe would probably be the best alternative, far more preferable to chuffin’ Big Sam. Wilder should be given another crack at the championship though in my opinion.

2020's Chris Wilder? Surely not. Unless he changes his ways.
Our squad needs a serious overhaul. Clubs like us can’t afford to do that in the glare of the Premier League. I’m afraid most of our heroic “journeymen” have reach the end of their journey.
Chris should be allowed to go down with the ship and build a new squad.

Our squad needs a serious overhaul. Clubs like us can’t afford to do that in the glare of the Premier League. I’m afraid most of our heroic “journeymen” have reach the end of their journey.
Chris should be allowed to go down with the ship and build a new squad.

They're not as bad as they're being made to look by our tactics at the moment.

People keep saying ‘I see people talking about Wilder leaving but there’s no viable alternative’ - I’ve got one. Eddie Howe.
For some reason some of our fans scoff at him? Eh? What’s not to like apart from him being southern?

Pros:
  • Plays attacking football, we might score 2 goals in a game and maybe more than 1 from open play every 12 games.
  • Likes players with pace, so we might see some counter attacks that don’t take the same time it takes to watch the Star Wars collection in full
  • Has plenty of PL experience, more than our club has got actually
  • Has promotion experience, shows he knows how to spend money in the leagues below in order to get over the line
  • Comes across as a likeable bloke who the players would get along with
  • Has had 2 of our most expensive players already so will know ho

Cons:
  • Southern
  • Failed at Burnley in only Northern job 7 years ago or something
  • Has a relegation on his CV (although that was double points at least, unlike what we’ll achieve)
  • Defensively Bournemouth were poor, so we might be as bad as we are now
  • Is apparently waiting for Celtic or something
  • Looks like he might burst into tears at any minute

Shouts for Big Sam, Curbishley, Redknapp, Warnock, whoever else should be laughed at rightfully.
But if we need a new manager from these shores, I don’t see a better option than South Coast Eddie.

This isn’t a Wilder out post before I get called reactionary, a pig, a doom merchant, a troll, whatever else. But when you lose 15 league games out of 16, score 1 open play goal in that time, have scored 2 goals in the calendar year 3 times, have a manager making very very bizarre decisions (that lineup yesterday ffs), and are playing football that Morecambe would turn their nose up at - I think you’re entitled to start thinking of alternatives.

South Coast Eddie, he’s the man. If he can’t do it, no one can.
If Chris Wilder leaves then we can debate this. Until then I don't see the point. Howe would be a reasonable appointment, but I'd still rather stick with Wilder even if we went down quite frankly.

Last edited:
The same Eddie Howe yes, the same one that had previously took that Bournemouth side up from League one to the Premier League, and kept it there for 5 years. Yes.

The same one that spent loads of the owners money on fees and wages (kind of wages we cant afford) and still took them down. Its No from me

The same one that spent loads of the owners money on fees and wages (kind of wages we cant afford) and still took them down. Its No from me
We've spent £130m in 3 transfer windows.

We've spent £130m in 3 transfer windows.
It’s not really that much for a newly promoted side these days.

Anyway, case for Howe. I think he’d go for something like this. He’s probably got a couple of sets in different colours to match whichever suit he’s wearing.

2317776C-2803-4519-92AA-A761F925AE28.jpeg

Dont forget Eddie Howe had a horrendous injury list last season and had difficulty in finding 11 players to turn out

Dont forget Eddie Howe had a horrendous injury list last season and had difficulty in finding 11 players to turn out
That’s one of my concerns about him. I don’t believe in coincidence, he’s either very adept at signing injury prone players or there’s something not right in the training. My other concern is that he signed Ibe despite apparently most of Liverpool knowing he’s a wrong ‘un.

That said, I think it’s very difficult to take a club like Bournemouth to the “next level”. Particularly with the constraints around developing the stadium. Even putting that aside, you look at Brighton, spent big (relatively), brought in a proven DoF (after wasting quite a lot of money in poor foreign signings under Hughton and the previous DoF/HoR) and try to play attractive front foot football but are still in a relegation battle. It makes me wonder where Rodgers would be now if he hadn’t been offered the Liverpool job and had stayed at Swansea.

Blessin is your man if you look for a new manager. He was the assistant at Leipzig. He now manages oostende and he turned a bunch of crap and unknown players (everyone’s relegation favorite) into a Leipzig look a like with non stop high pressing high tempo game and he is achieving good results with very limited player material. You can immediately recognize his style of play and he combines it with results. I am very impressed by this guy. Everyone can manage the big clubs but to transfer a small team with limited funds in a high press high tempo machine, not many can do that.
If we're going overseas maybe Ralf Rangnick, the originator of the RB teams and inspiration for Klopp etc. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/sports/soccer/man-united-RB-leipzig-ralf-rangnick.html - if we're going down maybe someone with a track record of winning leagues is needed,

Back
Top Bottom