John Swift

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

With having time to burn this Satdi delved into this fella abit more...

Although currently being deployed on the left, consistently he has excelled on the right hand side of Reading's midfield. His ability on the ball enables him to get out of the most awkward of scenarios and he can be considered two footed compared to the majority of our squad, with only Lundstram and Didzy potentially matching him or in Lundstram's case being superior in this regard.

One game that interests me the most is earlier in the season when Reading played against Cardiff with this line up:
1594477879439.png
Funnily enough the exact shape we play at the minute (although without the uniqueness and solidity of our incredible defenders). Reading tried to persist with this system but have changed due to issues with consistency and organisation and have used around 8-9 formations this season. But Swift always peformed well there. Below are his individual stats for the games he played against Cardiff and Huddersfield while playing in this shape. (His stats are orange in the first and blue in the second)
1594478392344.png
1594478415852.png
While also recording 1 goal and 3 assists across these two fixtures.

Our wide CMs have to have the work-rate and technical ability to play out wide and support the wingbacks and CBs. in these highlights a snippet of such work can be seen from Swift.

His overall game is incredible for someone in a midtable championship side and the more that I think about it this could be a incredible value for money signing for the rumoured bid of 3.5m quid which is scrap change in prem terms. Now I'm in no means an expert or scout but this signing although not the most spectacular or glamorous gets me excited for the squad we could have next year.

The daily mail predicted Wes Foderingham signing and said our next signing is John Swift and then in market for a centre back and a striker.

So looks like Swift could be on his way. Gives me something to watch today.

If I see one more Tweet referring to the 'Duffy role' I might have a break down.

We don't play with the Duffy role any more. The role is redundant. We haven't used it, wont use it.

Try and imagine this...

We are a team who have broken the mould of football.

We have assembled a team of unknowns and unprovens from the lower leagues, mainly, and galvanised them into a very effective playing unit, capable of holding their own at the highest level of football in the most competitive league in the world.

Key to that has been the willingness to adopt new and unconventional approaches to how to play the game. That and a tremendous team spirit and discipline.

So if you are thinking “this way of playing is in and that way of playing is out” then I think you’ve completely missed the point.

I think you are right to call out “the Duffy role” because this isn’t about one player. But it’s definitely about changing our approach to keep ahead of the competition and there are no out of bounds for that.

We don’t play a number 10 role recently. But we will do,

We don’t play wingers either do we?

But we will do.

We have to be able to play all kinds of ways if we are going to beat the big boys coming from a disadvantageous position and variety and flexibility is key to it.

Try and imagine this...

We are a team who have broken the mould of football.

We have assembled a team of unknowns and unprovens from the lower leagues, mainly, and galvanised them into a very effective playing unit, capable of holding their own at the highest level of football in the most competitive league in the world.

Key to that has been the willingness to adopt new and unconventional approaches to how to play the game. That and a tremendous team spirit and discipline.

So if you are thinking “this way of playing is in and that way of playing is out” then I think you’ve completely missed the point.

I think you are right to call out “the Duffy role” because this isn’t about one player. But it’s definitely about changing our approach to keep ahead of the competition and there are no out of bounds for that.

We don’t play a number 10 role recently. But we will do,

We don’t play wingers either do we?

But we will do.

We have to be able to play all kinds of ways if we are going to beat the big boys coming from a disadvantageous position and variety and flexibility is key to it.
Agree totally Cerberus,
We have to be more flexible in attacking area's our evolving system will have to have more imagination ( surprise) to be in front of the big boys.We are inept at the moment going through central attacking area,s
At all levels most goals are created using the wide open spaces on the wings, the best teams though use the spaces down the centre created by a quick shift of of the ball,
we hopefully will get better in these area's but extra quality on he ball is needed to do this.
Teams now are packing wide area's to counteract our overlapping which means more space in the centre to capitalise on this.

I mean, whilst you’re technically correct, I think you knew full well what I was getting at...🤣

I can’t remember us winning more than a handful of free kicks in shooting positions so Norwood has just been improvising.

I can’t remember us winning more than a handful of free kicks in shooting positions so Norwood has just been improvising.
Thats because we have nobody in centre mid who runs past players and gets fouled

chris wilder has tendency to pick gems. Forest were slagging robinson off. turned out to be cracking solid centre back. so id assume john swift will fit in very well

even if id prefer his sister 😄

Most our play is down the wings going forward. We win lots of wide freekicks that are set up for crossing. Can't think of any direct ones!

It’s in the Sheffield Star again this morning. It does seem like this is more than a rumour and looks a real possibility.

I do like the sound of this if it all comes through.

Back
Top Bottom