Blades Against Racism

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So you're questioning the actions of Didzy then are you? The bloke who had the horrendous shit messaged to him because he had the temerity to score in a football match?
As far as I know the 'horrendous shit' was a Twitter insult from a single person. Thousands have since condemned it.

We will never totally stop provocative Idiots who try to stir things. They are usually kids who grow out of it. The massive reaction to the Tweet says a lot about how popular racists are these days

Would be interesting to see the views of BAME community regulars and visitors BEFORE the rest of us chime up.

I don't think it matters if the views of BAME fans come before/after other opinions, but it certainly matters that those views are heard and listened to.

How does a middle aged white guy feel? Its not long ago I was sat with my friend who is Black and his two daughters. We were on the kop. At one point during the game a guy a couple of rows back shouted out you black C**t. Pretty despicable language regardless of the colour of the person it is aimed at.

That was the day I really started to understand the casual racism that is prevalent in our society. What's it like to deal with it every day, I can't imagine.

I posted about that incident only to get a majority reply that if I don't want to hear that kind of language, don't go on the Kop.

I think it is far less prevalent in Sheffield than places like London, but let's not kid ourselves, racism is there casual or otherwise.

I grew up in the 70's and our world is a far better place than it used to be, but we still have a way to go.

FFS there are 60 million plus people in this country and everyone picks up on a couple of idiotic wankers.

Fair enough, tell that to the black players who face abuse week in week out and have been speaking about it consistently over the last few weeks. The two wankers have been awfully busy. And tell that to the player who runs his bollocks off every fucking week for you club who was clearly upset by the abuse he received simply due to being black.

Plus this mantra " institutional racism " is another loadda bollox.

No it's not, but that's for another thread.

As far as I know the 'horrendous shit' was a Twitter insult from a single person. Thousands have since condemned it.

We will never totally stop provocative Idiots who try to stir things. They are usually kids who grow out of it. The massive reaction to the Tweet says a lot about how popular racists are these days
Read the article I posted and you'll see that what we're talking about is not the racism of individuals. It's the everyday stuff. Twitter/Facebook awash with it.

How does a middle aged white guy feel? Its not long ago I was sat with my friend who is Black and his two daughters. We were on the kop. At one point during the game a guy a couple of rows back shouted out you black C**t. Pretty despicable language regardless of the colour of the person it is aimed at.

That was the day I really started to understand the casual racism that is prevalent in our society. What's it like to deal with it every day, I can't imagine.

I posted about that incident only to get a majority reply that if I don't want to hear that kind of language, don't go on the Kop.

I think it is far less prevalent in Sheffield than places like London, but let's not kid ourselves, racism is there casual or otherwise.

I grew up in the 70's and our world is a far better place than it used to be, but we still have a way to go.
It's awful to hear about experiences like that, but it's important too. There are lots of responses suggesting 'I've never seen racism in Bramall Lane', and I really struggle to believe that.

That's an excellent article, Sam. Hits all the right notes in terms of the sorts of thoughts and phrases your average white person needs to acknowledge in order to assist change.

Badges/stickers purchased. I'll be keeping tabs on BAR's progress to see how I can get involved.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

I don't think it matters if the views of BAME fans come before/after other opinions, but it certainly matters that those views are heard and listened to.

I meant in the context that non bame fans could see how they felt and commented on that rather than go over all our old ground.

Yes, I have one or two issues with the prospect of anything that allows all conversations to be recorded.
But how can you object if it's in the cause of anti racism? Do you have something to hide?

:)

No YOU got it wrong. The comment was meant sarcastically, apart from the last sentence. A lot of racism is to do with fear, about not being able to go in certain areas, seeing the violent crime records etc. My comments don't need dissecting and they are just an opinion. As for your remark about Didzy, I think you need to take a good look at yourself.

You put the words out there, including “coloured” btw, so they can be dissected.

I saw no sarcasm whatsoever, just a comment about racists not having a case if all these ethnic crimes weren’t reported. Which imo is utter nonsense.

Didzy? You said nothing needs changing, , , , don’t try to turn that one on me

In reply:-

Not heard or seen any in years. Can remember going on Chelsea's Kop and it was like a recruiting campaign for the then NF. Coloured players these days are, apart from some minor occurrences, totally accepted.

Somewhat but you have to go to the kind of sites that foment it. Also to listen to Dianne Abbott, Corbyn and their ilk.

Tricky but the media have to stop broadcasting all the murders, violent crimes and gang warfare perpetuated by ethnic "minorities" . Then the racists wouldn't have a boat to paddle. You just look at the Police/Crime documentaries and it appears that they are the main, if not nearly all, the perpetraters.

Nothing needs to change. games are well regulated by the fans themselves.
dAuQkuuM25gieL1EhP.gif

I sit on the kop. This season a guy a few rows in front of me shouted "get up you monkey" to an opposition black player who had gone down and was needing treatment.

A few years back when we played Southampton in the cup the guy behind me was calling Shane Long an Irish bastard every time he touched the ball.

A while back when we were playing Bradford at home I couldn't make out what people were singing and then my dad told me it was "United hate f'ing ISIS". I think I saw something saying United were fined for this?

West Brom away a guy a few rows behind me was calling Dwight Gayle a bumbaclart literally every few minutes to the great amusement of his mates.

Crewe away, a couple blokes joking about Campbell Ryce having a tan after his holidays.

Stoke away last season a guy behind me spent the whole 90 minutes calling James McClean an Irish bastard and telling him to fall over and die.

I have awful memory and these are instances of varying levels that I can think of off the top of my head. The knee jerk push back in this thread and from what I've seen on different united Facebook groups that there isn't a problem or that because it's not as bad as it was in the 70s then it's not a problem worth worrying about is saddening. What is less saddening is seeing supporters groups like Dem Blades and the Wednesday equivalent trying to do something about it so good on them and I hope it is a small step in the right direction.

If you'd like to get involved, especially if you're from a BAME background, then let's talk about it...

... do you think racism is present in stadia?
... do you think racism is present online?
.. what can be done among the grassroots to make racists feel uncomfortable?
... how does the club fulfil its promise of 'something has to change' without alienating some fans?

Racism is present everywhere though I can only think of one instance where I heard a blatant comment at Bramall Lane and that was years back.

People are flat out vicious online. They say things they'd never dare in person and they vent all their rage in YouTube comments and Twitter.

I don't know if it's about making racists feel uncomfortable as much as it is making them stfu and having them know that they're in a shrinking minority. If I have a concern then it's that Sheffield has a large BAME population but when I'm in the Lane at kick-off I don't see many of them. It seems to me that dealing with the appearance of racism is something very different to actually integrating. There's got to be plenty of BAME Sheffielders who like football and you'd have to ask them why they're not there. It could just be my ignorance but I can't suggest how to get them in the ground without knowing why they're absent.

It depends on which fans get alienated. I don't mind if kneeling before kick off and flying FURD banners alienates people. I think the real stumbling block right now might be that with loyalty points and a Prem team tickets are hard to get hold of and anything like giving them away or letting people beat the system would be met with a lot of negativity. But ultimately I think the solution is to support people enough to get them in the ground. Racism is a lot harder in an integrated society.

Then don't go into the ground. Which is private property.

Sean Thornton I'm saying more cameras and more audio equipment placed directly in the terraces.

So you’d have to record both video and audio on every single seat? How else could it be foolproof?

People could just report the seat number.

A while back when we were playing Bradford at home I couldn't make out what people were singing and then my dad told me it was "United hate f'ing ISIS". I think I saw something saying United were fined for this?

It was 'You're just a town full of ISIS' and it was being sung by more than a few around me at the back of the Kop. The startling part was when it was brought up in the media and some fans tried to make out it didn't happen. Granted it wasn't thousands, thankfully, but it most certainly did happen.

One day I want to take my mixed-race kids to Bramall Lane.

In an ideal world all I’d be worried about is them making me miss a goal through asking daft questions, or them passing out from the pong in the bogs.
Them being made to feel in any way marginalised, slandered or ostracised because of the colour of their skin isn’t something that I should have to give a second’s thought to.

But unfortunately, I do.

And people saying that racism isn’t an issue, or that belittle BLM, taking a knee, or any initiatives to make things better - are not helping us make a fairer world.

I think a lot of education is needed about racism an the wider context it occurs in. To me only someone being deliberately obtuse can claim it’s not an issue in society. You only have to see the police brutality stories, see the abuse football players receive on a daily base etc etc - if you can look at that an claim there is no issue or nothing wrong, I’m afraid you’re part of the problem.

I don’t believe the Lane is terrible for it by any means - but there is more than can and should be done to irradiate it. Even if you only believe it’s a tiny % of people. It should be totally unacceptable

imagine McGoldrick (or anyone) Having to wake up to those type of messages. Imagine it being some cunts response to one of your proudest achievements and something you’d probably dreamed of doing all your life. It’s heartbreaking.

I think a lot of education is needed about racism an the wider context it occurs in. To me only someone being deliberately obtuse can claim it’s not an issue in society. You only have to see the police brutality stories, see the abuse football players receive on a daily base etc etc - if you can look at that an claim there is no issue or nothing wrong, I’m afraid you’re part of the problem.

I don’t believe the Lane is terrible for it by any means - but there is more than can and should be done to irradiate it. Even if you only believe it’s a tiny % of people. It should be totally unacceptable

imagine McGoldrick (or anyone) Having to wake up to those type of messages. Imagine it being some cunts response to one of your proudest achievements and something you’d probably dreamed of doing all your life. It’s heartbreaking.
Unbelievable left wing claptrap.

What you’re proposing is illegal and with good reason. The fact that it’s private property is neither here nor there.

Generally speaking it’s not illegal “if for your own use”. So if United used to be ban a fan, it’s generally fine.

“Where” appears to be irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom