Official Hawkeye reason given

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Because since it's been brought in that's the first time a team has ever surrounded a ref about it. The players usually go "can't have been over, his watch would've buzzed" and just get on with it. Last night they KNEW it was over. It wasn't even close. The ref knew it too, he was seen tapping the watch trying to get it to go off.

VAR is also there to overturn certain "clear & obvious" errors. They have seen withing 10 seconds that it's a goal. The referee is microphoned up to them - are you telling me that the VAR didn't say to Oliver - "that's gone in that mate, has your watch not gone off"?

For the integrity of the game alone, VAR should have intervened there.

1,000,000% that wouldn't have played out like that if it had happened in the Man City game. Not a chance whatsoever.

In the Man City game Sterling made a lunging tackle on an Arsenal player. No Arsenal player surrounded the ref to complain, the guy was in agony for some reason but there was hardly any protest. It went to VAR within 10 seconds.

Yet we see McBurnie and one other turn round straight away hands up in air saying its a goal. Several players surrounding ref saying its a goal. He just taps his ear, taps his watch and shrugs it off.

One rule for us one rule for everyone bigger.

Never seen Hugh before.
He’s defo pissed off. And rightly so.

He's a disillusioned Gooner but knows his onions and has been a major cheerleader for us all season. Said that we would stay up comfortably long before the majority of pundits and stated that we have played the best football in the league after Citeh.
Check out his you tube page and find the video he did called 'Meet Chris Wilder' early on in the season.

He's a disillusioned Gooner but knows his onions and has been a major cheerleader for us all season. Said that we would stay up comfortably long before the majority of pundits and says we have played the beat football in the league after Citeh.
Check out his you tube page and find the video he did called 'Meet Chris Wilder' early on in the season.
Beat me to it by a second lol.

Well I have woke up this morning and feel no better about last nights farce and find myself questioning if football has any integrity left or is it corrupt even?
Is it worth bothering to support a team whoever you may chose to follow when you know that team will have all the odds stacked against them ever achieving anything in the game.
Six teams in this country have everything stacked in their favour anyone else may as well forget it, we all know how the season will end the same old teams will be in Europe even Man City when their ban is overturned. The powers that be don't want the rest like us, Wolves, Everton, Burnley etc in there I don't even think Leicester City have been accepted into the elite fully we just are not big enough brands. I will be expecting more dodgy decisions for ourselves and Wolves before this season is done we can't have Spurs and Arsenal finishing below us never mind Manchester fookin United.

On the radio last night they said the reason his watch started working at half time is because the substitutes were shooting balls into the goal.

Do we get to use this as some sort of voucher in exchange for 2 more points at a later time?

A few years ago, we’d be bemoaning our luck if human error cost us a goal but we’d pretty much accept that it’s just one of those things. It’s the fact that technology brought in to eradicate human error has cost us the goal and that humans in the form of the the ref on the pitch, the 4th official and the one at Stockly Park weren’t prepared to take even a minute to check out the back-up technology in the form of the video replay that really stinks. It’s like they’ve totally abdicated their responsibilities as officials. The computer says no, that’s all there is to it.

They didn’t even need advanced VAR technology to make the decision. Oliver could have done what I’ve seen several German refs do in recent week and took a look at the pitch side monitor as could the 4th official, but basically they couldn’t be arsed.

My view is that if that this has happened to most PL teams, they’d have swarmed all over the ref and got him to check it out. We’ve already seen this happen several times this season, but of course the latest instructions to players is for them not to surround the ref. Let’s see how many other clubs adhere to this rule, maybe we play it just a bit too straight when come down to it, but it shouldn’t rea

VAR is also there to overturn certain "clear & obvious" errors. They have seen withing 10 seconds that it's a goal. The referee is microphoned up to them - are you telling me that the VAR didn't say to Oliver - "that's gone in that mate, has your watch not gone off"?

For the integrity of the game alone, VAR should have intervened there.

1,000,000% that wouldn't have played out like that if it had happened in the Man City game. Not a chance whatsoever.
Exactly this, they should have been straight on saying 'that doesn't look right just pause while we look'.

Like when they take 3 minutes to determine if someone is 1mm offside. The difference in how that was done last night is borderline corrupt.

They can't really.

Awarding us a win would be a bigger travesty of justice than not giving us the goal was, and would open the floodgates of results being changed after the fact once the game has been reviewed.
Respectfully, I believe it is such an open and shut case that nobody would question it except probably yourself.
If it occurs again, and I cannot see that happening for another nine thousand games, then that case should be judged on it's merit as this one should be.
Does not the footballing authorities review cases of discipline after the fact. I'm sure they do.

I love you

The cheque is in the post

I didn’t forget to turn my watch on

Respectfully, I believe it is such an open and shut case that nobody would question it except probably yourself.
If it occurs again, and I cannot see that happening for another nine thousand games, then that case should be judged on it's merit as this one should be.
Does not the footballing authorities review cases of discipline after the fact. I'm sure they do.

They don't review the results of matches (bar match fixing etc).

And I respectfully disagree entirely. Everyone in the wider football world would question it. There are 'open and shut' cases of refereeing mistakes affecting results every single week.

No-one outside a few disgruntled United fans (and maybe fans of other teams near the bottom of the league) thinks we should be awarded the win. The authorities will not be even considering it, and rightly so.

And another thing, the advantage we would gain by being awarded the win - i.e. we were secretly 1-0 up for the entire second half and our opponents had no idea, hugely outweighs the disadvantage of incorrectly having a goal not given. To give us three points in such circumstances would be massively unfair. Again though, it's not a serious consideration except among a few agree United fans.

We can rant we can moan its our choice but its not going to get changed. We are Sheffield United. Everything about yesterdays game, the build up, the commentary it was like starting the season again and we had been written off. This just topped it off. All we can do is knuckle down and make them eat their own words again.

Exactly this, they should have been straight on saying 'that doesn't look right just pause while we look'.

Like when they take 3 minutes to determine if someone is 1mm offside. The difference in how that was done last night is borderline corrupt.

They can stop to have two drink breaks but cant stop and have a 1 minute look at VAR.

I actually heard that as it was half time Oliver didnt want to waste anymore time as he knew his pie was waiting for him at half time.

We can rant we can moan its our choice but its not going to get changed. We are Sheffield United. Everything about yesterdays game, the build up, the commentary it was like starting the season again and we had been written off. This just topped it off. All we can do is knuckle down and make them eat their own words again.

They can stop to have two drink breaks but cant stop and have a 1 minute look at VAR.

I actually heard that as it was half time Oliver didnt want to waste anymore time as he knew his pie was waiting for him at half time.
More likely they wanted to ensure the game finished as early as possible so they could show some buildup to the main event at 8pm

A few years ago, we’d be bemoaning our luck if human error cost us a goal but we’d pretty much accept that it’s just one of those things. It’s the fact that technology brought in to eradicate human error has cost us the goal and that humans in the form of the the ref on the pitch, the 4th official and the one at Stockly Park weren’t prepared to take even a minute to check out the back-up technology in the form of the video replay that really stinks. It’s like they’ve totally abdicated their responsibilities as officials. The computer says no, that’s all there is to it.

They didn’t even need advanced VAR technology to make the decision. Oliver could have done what I’ve seen several German refs do in recent week and took a look at the pitch side monitor as could the 4th official, but basically they couldn’t be arsed.

My view is that if that this has happened to most PL teams, they’d have swarmed all over the ref and got him to check it out. We’ve already seen this happen several times this season, but of course the latest instructions to players is for them not to surround the ref. Let’s see how many other clubs adhere to this rule, maybe we play it just a bit too straight when come down to it, but it shouldn’t rea

that's one thing, added to the failures of the VAR and goal line tech, that's frustrating me. it was clearly over the line, their keeper was sunk into his net with a look on his face like "oh ffs what have I just done", holding the ball against the BACK of the post... our players should have gone over to the ref and demanded that he get VAR to have a look at it, not just asked the question and then carried on as normal.

Someone suggest to the team they come out on Sunday without names on the shirts and it says "Hawkeye matters".

I have it from a good source the man in charge of hawk eye last night supports Wendy , their needs to be an urgent investigation

1592476073757.png

Well I have woke up this morning and feel no better about last nights farce and find myself questioning if football has any integrity left or is it corrupt even?
Is it worth bothering to support a team whoever you may chose to follow when you know that team will have all the odds stacked against them ever achieving anything in the game.
Six teams in this country have everything stacked in their favour anyone else may as well forget it, we all know how the season will end the same old teams will be in Europe even Man City when their ban is overturned. The powers that be don't want the rest like us, Wolves, Everton, Burnley etc in there I don't even think Leicester City have been accepted into the elite fully we just are not big enough brands. I will be expecting more dodgy decisions for ourselves and Wolves before this season is done we can't have Spurs and Arsenal finishing below us never mind Manchester fookin United.

From the outset, I feared that the introduction of VAR and other 'technology' was merely a means of giving a veneer of 'fairness' to decision-making by match officials, rather than of actually achieving fair and correct decisions.

Initial concerns were raised by the anomaly that the 2 clubs with the biggest and wealthiest brands in the country - Man U and Liverpool - are the only clubs in the league to refuse to have a big screen in their stadium - and be allowed to. It's utterly incongruous; even Bournemouth have been made to install screens.

Of course, if you have a screen, all incidents that are referred to VAR have to be shown. There is no picking and choosing, they all have to be shown; there is transparency as to what is being checked by VAR. At Anfield and Old Trafford, however, they have retained editorial control. Those clubs are perfectly happy with how matches have always been officiated at their home grounds.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of incidents in Liverpool's home games against Man City and Southampton which unjustly went in Liverpool's favour, which would surely have had to go the other way had the decisions been shown on a screen in the ground.

Ultimately, the claim that technology is being used to get more decisions correct is nonsense as it is still, at root, comes down to human decisions by one or more of the 3 referees on duty at each match. And, those referees have been given so much latitude by the PGMOL that they can basically find a justification for any decision that is taken.

The guidelines have been cleverly drafted to cater for every eventuality and the PGMOL can always find a line in the guidelines to justify whatever action they take in pursuit of their preferred outcome. Thus, with last night's fiasco, they came out with a line in the guidelines that says the VAR was not engaged to review the 'goal' because the pre-condition for that to happen is that the GLT must first signal that a goal has been scored.

Had that 'goal' been scored by Liverpool, Man U or any other establishment club, though, it is inconceivable that it wouldn't have been sent to VAR, sorted out, and a goal awarded, and the different line that the PGMOL would have relied on from their guidelines would have been that it was a 'clear and obvious error' and therefore needed to be sent to VAR.

The PGMOL are still pursuing their own agenda and they have a set of guidelines in place full of contradictory and self-serving rules that allow them to do whatever they want to get their preferred outcome.

As others have mentioned, Man U have gained 8 points in matches where a VAR decision has affected the result so far, which is more than anybody else. No surprises there. Meanwhile, we are 8 points down on decisions changed by 'technology'. That's a 16 points swing.

Finally, whatever we think about him, the on-pitch referee that we needed last night was Mike Dean. He is just about the only one of them who has the wherewithal to think for himself. He might just have sorted that mess out.

God only knows why Oliver is rated as our best official. He has always been weak and ineffectual.

They don't review the results of matches (bar match fixing etc).

And I respectfully disagree entirely. Everyone in the wider football world would question it. There are 'open and shut' cases of refereeing mistakes affecting results every single week.

No-one outside a few disgruntled United fans (and maybe fans of other teams near the bottom of the league) thinks we should be awarded the win. The authorities will not be even considering it, and rightly so.

And another thing, the advantage we would gain by being awarded the win - i.e. we were secretly 1-0 up for the entire second half and our opponents had no idea, hugely outweighs the disadvantage of incorrectly having a goal not given. To give us three points in such circumstances would be massively unfair. Again though, it's not a serious consideration except among a few agree United fans.
If the authorities in the past haven't reviewed results of matches they should now that technology is involved.
Human error by a referee is acceptable, but the breakdown of mechanical devises is not.
Such devices can be made serviceable and any irregularity rectified in retrospect. When mechanical devises are brought into play there should always be a failsafe system put in place. That failsafe system should always be used. Think about that the next time your sat in an aircraft taxying out to the runway.
Your last paragraph bears merit but I would disagree that it, "hugely outweighs", more like evens events. To award the game to United wouldn't be even unfair, ask the Aston Villa players the same question.
Lastly, this is not about Sheffield United, though I am a supporter, it's about the integrity of the game as a whole and how it's played and managed.

I honestly think that the integrity of the game would be jeopardised far more by changing the results of matches based on an incorrect decision in the middle of the game that it would be by just leaving the result as is, however much it frustrates us.

To be fair to Oliver he had no reason to doubt that what his watch was telling him wasn't correct.
I don't think he could actually see from his position, not sure on the linesmans view but they both probably thought the technology says no Goal so that's the correct decision same with the people watching VAR. Up until yesterday Hawkeye hasn't had a problem to my knowledge its had a 100% success rate.
Maybe Refs and Linesman have become too reliant on Hawkeye thinking it is 100% accurate i know i did.
Now they know it isn't I would hope that maybe the people that watch VAR could take a look just to double check Hawkeye has got it right.
Admittedly it doesn't help us but its another 1st for the Blades in the fact that we have brought it to everyone's attention that it is not 100% accurate.

I don't deny that there's a big culpability on the part of those human beings, if that's what they are, who are operating VAR. Maybe they'd gone for a cuppa at the time? I still think the referee's have a duty to investigate incidents like that further though - it's like they are being ruled by the technology, which is totally wrong - maybe they need it explaining to them that it's there to assist them, not replace them. I mean, it's already rendered linesmen redundant in some situations, do they want to keep their jobs or what? Referees need to stand up to the bloody thing before it makes their job totally pointless as well.

The highly suspicious thing for me is what happened during the half-time break. So, suddenly, during the half-time break, Oliver's watch pings him a notification like this...

1592478260801.png

How come that notification came through several minutes after the incident occurred? 🤔

If the reason for a goal not being given at the time was because the view was obstructed, where did "Hawk-eye" get the unobstructed view from, to determine that it was in fact a goal? If the camera's were obstructed at the time then it wouldn't be possible for Hawk-eye to do this after the event.

I am not a technical expert, I don't have a Hawk-eye watch either, but I do have a mobile phone. And I use that mobile phone for text messages and emails. And one thing I've noticed about it is I don't receive any text messages or emails if it's switched off. But when I switch it back on again, text messages and emails that were sent previously suddenly start to appear.

I mean...I don't suppose for one minute that this is nothing to do with an obstructed view and everything to do with forgetting to switch the damn thing on until half-time? They wouldn't lie to us...surely?🤔

I have written to the club asking them what they intend to do about it. I have no doubt there will be some diplomat waffle and towing of the Premier League and Hawk-eye line which I can understand but it is not good enough:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I should be grateful if you would ensure this message gets to the correct recipient at the club.

Re: Aston Villa 0-0 Blades

I have just read the Hawkeye website in great detail and can only come to one conclusion: the statement they put out yesterday evening following the disallowed goal is a blatant lie. Among many claims they make, all in the public domain, is that the technology is capable of 'removing players from the images'.

Myself and the vast majority of fans (of all clubs) would like Sheffield United FC to make a stand against this injustice although I believe that this is might not be a matter of injustice, it might be one of corruption.

The implications of the what happened last night are incredibly far reaching for many reasons, some of which are 1) from final league positions involving millions of pounds, not only of the clubs involved but every club in the division 2) the almost certain possibility of both relegation and European places being affected by this decision 3) the millions of people who have outstanding wagers - not only on the outcome of the game, first goal scorer, HT/FT result etc but any wager relating to season long wagers about positional finishes in the league: top four, top five, top six and so on - again not only of Sheffield United but all teams affected by this crime.

Finally, the integrity of the game, the Premier League, Hawkeye and every stakeholder should depend on transparency and honesty and it is that which is missing at the moment. All we have to go on is one untruthful statement from Hawk-eye Innovations.

I sincerely hope the club intend to take this matter further and look forward to hearing what strategy you intend to employ to do so.

Kind regards

I don’t really go a bundle on conspiracy theories, but the scale of this blunder is so great that you have to wonder if someone at Stockly Park didn’t want that goal to stand for some reason or another. Let’s face it, little old SUFC finishing in a champions league spot might put a few very big noses out of joint.

The 1 in 9000 thing will be made up. They forgot to turn on the technology.
I don’t care what the official reason is or unofficial reason or any made up bullshit......the bottom line is for the upteenth time we have been absolutely robbed by useless bureaucrats. Make no mistake - if it had happened to Liverpool there would be calls for the game to be played again....we are just expected to accept it.......I am really, really pissed off with the premier league

Back
Top Bottom