If you could go back and change one of our results, which would it be?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This season - beating Manchester United or Wolves (both of which we could/should have done those consecutive Sundays in early winter) would see us in a Champions League position now for all three of the curtailing season options.

Agree with this. I think that was our best period of performances - draws away at Spurs & Wolves & a home draw with Man Utd all sandwiched between convincing home wins over Arsenal & later Burnley. McGoldrick & Mousset looked phenomenal.

We were the better side in all 3 of those drawn games and should have registered more than the 3 points we did (at least 7). Had we managed that we'd have been in an incredible position now. The Champions League would be a dream.

Also, as things stand if we were to win out game in hand over a lowly Villa we would go 5th. Unsure why on merit we wouldn't be rewarded with a Champions League place next season if this season can't be finished (given City's ban).

Hillary ,Blackadder ,Colquhoun and Bury St. Most famous Edmunds. Dont mention that wanker who wrote singing the blues.

No, it was 1-0 at half time (see Clareborough's books). Clarke played but didnt score according to the papers I read in the Sheffield Archives and the link below.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=2345.0

Tues 23rd April 1968 - Sheff United 2 v 3 Fulham - Div 2
McCLELLAND, NICHOLLS, RYAN, CALLAGHAN, MEALAND, BROWN, CONWAY, EARLE. CLARKE, GILROY, BARRETT. SUB:KERRIGAN
Scorers: Barrett, Gilroy and Conway (2-3 win)
Look at 23rd April 1968 Silent.
No, it was 1-0 at half time (see Clareborough's books). Clarke played but didnt score according to the papers I read in the Sheffield Archives and the link below.

McCLELLAND, NICHOLLS, RYAN, CALLAGHAN, MEALAND, BROWN, CONWAY, EARLE. CLARKE, GILROY, BARRETT. SUB:KERRIGAN
Silent. I know it’s 52 years ago but it still on my mind that Clarke got Two. United were two up and cruising. Ieent with three more I’ll get in touch with them see if they remember it the way I do.

I reckon just changing the outcome of Ched’s trial might have seen to the changing of the MK result. It wasn’t like he was just out injured, there was a while feeling around the fans and obviously the players that it was all over.

If I could change one, it would be the game that got Blackwell sacked, as strange as that sounds. Even a respectable defeat against QPR would have seen him keep his job and although that season would have been absolute shite and a ball ache to watch, his sacking was the event that kick started the spiral into league one. He’d have gone at some point that season because his football was absolute non league standard but he’d have probably accumulated enough points to steer us clear of relegation. My guess is he would have been sacked for us not being close enough to the play offs rather than a relegation fight.
That’s logical and we’ll never know but when you look at his time at Leeds before us and Luton afterwards, it seems it goes downhill for him very quickly.

That’s logical and we’ll never know but when you look at his time at Leeds before us and Luton afterwards, it seems it goes downhill for him very quickly.

Totally agree. I didn’t disagree with the sacking but the timing of it felt very weird....especially after the point against Cardiff in the first game. That first 45 minutes was as abject a performance as we’d seen for a long time at the Lane at the the time.

Totally agree. I didn’t disagree with the sacking but the timing of it felt very weird....especially after the point against Cardiff in the first game. That first 45 minutes was as abject a performance as we’d seen for a long time at the Lane at the the time.
That Cardiff game annoyed me. Difficult game, away from home, no place to make your debut. As soon as I saw Lowton was starting I said ‘this is a bad idea’. Tbh, I was expecting something more like him having his arse handed to him on a plate but the sending off wasn’t exactly a surprise.

That Cardiff game annoyed me. Difficult game, away from home, no place to make your debut. As soon as I saw Lowton was starting I said ‘this is a bad idea’. Tbh, I was expecting something more like him having his arse handed to him on a plate but the sending off wasn’t exactly a surprise.

In some ways that made hanging on to the draw more impressive. Having said that though he was always a cock with the kids. Seem to remember he did an interview once where he said he’d rather have an empty space on the bench than put a youth team player on because there was apparently no point if they weren’t going to play.

Ryan Cresswell said something on undr the cosh about him going out on loan. Basically he’d been on loan in league 2 or the conference (can’t remember which) one season. When he came back Blackwell wanted him to go to Ferencváros, Cresswell said he’d prefer to stay and have another season in English football. KB then said well you either go to Hungary or we rip the contract up. Cresswell didn’t go and he was released. Suppose you can look at that two ways in some respects, but there’s been more than enough people who have worked with him that have since called him out for being a bit of a nob.

Okay then, I'd change the 0-0 draw at Hillsborough last season to a 0-20 away win.

Billy Sharp scores 17 goals and the match makes headlines worldwide. The biggest away win in the history of English league football.

Boxing Day is never spoken of ever again.
Tbf, for someone who wasn't initially interested, that's a fucking good answer

The semi final with the pigs. The league results against them since has made up for the disappointment of that game tho. Itd just be 1 sentence less in their "recent decades achievements against the mighty Blades" history book (which is about 3 sentences long). 1)Boxing Day, 2) nil nil 'away win' with players throwing their shirts in to crowd after game, 3) taking 3000 to QPR
Every time this game broke my heart. I arranged coach full of Blades from Red Lion at Gleadless townend.

Leaving the ground this was the first (of many) time we got to see fireworks going off from outside the ground. After a subdued journey home Blades fans arrived back at the pub a good hour before pigs. As coach organiser, I took majority of stick from floating Wendy's. I was determined to stick it out & put a brave face on. After last orders I went home & cried me f##kin eyes out.

2nd game would be Play off defeat to Wolves. Out of all the many Semi finals/Play off finals this was the only game I truly couldn't see us losing. Organised coach again so had a great journey with mates. Build up to match was brilliant, sun shining, atmosphere was superb.
Mark Rankine walks onto the pitch instead of Stuart McCall, Jags has one his worst games, Michael Brown (unbelievably) misses a penalty which you just knew would spark a fight back (we'd been doing it all season): rest is history. Cue another subdued coach journey home after again seeing fireworks from outside the ground. With one can of lager left coach dropped us off at Townend around 11.30. As I settled down on the settee to drink my last can, switched tv on only to hear 'Match of the day' credits & a jovial Jon Motson announce highlights of "today's play off final at Millennium stadium "..... Cue buckets of tears again. Took me 20 years to muster up enough courage to watch any part of this game.

As an aside to this thread: the first time I was fortunate to see fireworks from inside a ground was at 'The Oval' when England won the Ashes in 2009.

Didn't we also chuck away leads at homes vs West Ham and Chelsea (last day of season).

This was the season we got through to the Elland Road mud in the FA Cup 6th round and lost by 1-0, when we really should have won IIRR, in front of 13,000 Blades on that big open terrace opposite their old Kop, the Scratching Shed.

It was also the season we beat Liverpool 2-1 at Anfield and Burnley 2-0 at Turf Moor. Anfield, and to a slightly lesser extent, Turf Moor were hugely difficult places to get anything from in those days.

Crazy season

Oh yes, and the 1-1 draw at Highbury in the snow.

And Rusty the stripper in a Soho club that evening ...
Mammaries as they say ;)

Look at 23rd April 1968 Silent.

Silent. I know it’s 52 years ago but it still on my mind that Clarke got Two. United were two up and cruising. Ieent with three more I’ll get in touch with them see if they remember it the way I do.
Clarke got two goals in second half Silent

Someone else asking the same question

Oh yes and here are the stats but not quite sure what the 90 means after the goalscorers names

Someone else asking the same question

Oh yes and here are the stats but not quite sure what the 90 means after the goalscorers names
Willie Carlin refused to believe the evidence I gave him from a Fulham statto so he will refuse to believe you too!

Didn't we also chuck away leads at homes vs West Ham and Chelsea (last day of season).

Yes we were leading 1-0 at half time (Mick Hill) against Chelsea. Peter Osgood and Tommy Baldwin scored Chelsea's goals. We were losing to a Geoff Hurst goal at home to West Ham at half time. Gil Reece equalised but Hurst scored the winner.

Willie Carlin refused to believe the evidence I gave him from a Fulham statto so he will refuse to believe you too!
Yes we were leading 1-0 at half time (Mick Hill) against Chelsea. Peter Osgood and Tommy Baldwin scored Chelsea's goals. We were losing to a Geoff Hurst goal at home to West Ham at half time. Gil Reece equalised but Hurst scored the winner.

Ne'er mind, eh, we know the truth of it ;)

I remember that Chelsea game as, I think, we still had a chance of staying up at one point - could be wrong.

I was stood on the Kop and Willie Carlin, IIRC, was doing his best to rouse the team but they just didn't seem to have the belief that they could do it.

Ne'er mind, eh, we know the truth of it ;)

I remember that Chelsea game as, I think, we still had a chance of staying up at one point - could be wrong.

I was stood on the Kop and Willie Carlin, IIRC, was doing his best to rouse the team but they just didn't seem to have the belief that they could do it.
Coventry were playing at Southampton that day and they drew 0-0 which meant Coventry stayed up. Ernie Hunt told the Sunday People in the late 1980s that Southampton players were bribed not to win the game.

2nd game would be Play off defeat to Wolves. Out of all the many Semi finals/Play off finals this was the only game I truly couldn't see us losing. Organised coach again so had a great journey with mates. Build up to match was brilliant, sun shining, atmosphere was superb.
Mark Rankine walks onto the pitch instead of Stuart McCall, Jags has one his worst games, Michael Brown (unbelievably) misses a penalty which you just knew would spark a fight back (we'd been doing it all season): rest is history.
Rankine played both legs of the semi final. He played more than McCall in the final month of the season, including the home draw with Wolves 4 weeks earlier. Most fans preferred McCall. He was the better player. But Rankine had the shirt. It wasn't a surprise that he'd be starting. Did you fear for us in the second leg against Forest when he walked out instead of McCall?

Brown put all his penalties in the same place. Same as Dion Dublin. Dublin went high, Brown was more varied but always to the same side. Alan Kelly in the FAC QF shootout and Matt Murray at Cardiff didn't need notes tucked in their socks or written on a water bottle to know which way they'd put it. We'd been watching them do it on TV all season long. It was so utterly predictable.

As for the fightback that never happened. I thought the same thing at the time. Score that pen and we've got 40+ minutes to come back. We know we can do that, Wolves know we can do that. The atmosphere will be in our favour.

Then in 2011 I was watching the playoff final between Swansea and Reading. Swans are 3-0 up at half time and in the 49th minute Reading get one back. I said to the people I was watching with that we will now find out what would have happened if Brown had scored his pen. Reading got another back and had a chance to equalise with a goalbound shot blocked away. I think they also hit the post. A Swansea pen 10 mins from time ended the comeback. 4-2. I believe this a more likely outcome of that day in Cardiff if the pen goes in than us winning a shootout or in ET.

Coventry were playing at Southampton that day and they drew 0-0 which meant Coventry stayed up. Ernie Hunt told the Sunday People in the late 1980s that Southampton players were bribed not to win the game.

Another reason to dislike SISU FC. They remained in the top flight for another 33 years having a record of beating the drop on the last day of the season on nine other occasions. Wonder how many other teams they bribed? In 1977 they were accused of rigging their last game against Bristol City by relaying the result of the Sunderland game who went down resulting in both teams effectively playing the game out at snail pace.

Not suprised by Hunts allegations. SISU's chairman at the time was the former cricketer DH Robins who was to become notorious for supporting the Apartheid regime in South Africa in the 1970's and taking teams out to play there. An earlier version of Kerry Packer.

Seems cheating was rife at SISU long before their fans attempts to influence the result in our televised game when Billy shut them up with a winning brace.

Rankine played both legs of the semi final. He played more than McCall in the final month of the season, including the home draw with Wolves 4 weeks earlier. Most fans preferred McCall. He was the better player. But Rankine had the shirt. It wasn't a surprise that he'd be starting. Did you fear for us in the second leg against Forest when he walked out instead of McCall?

Brown put all his penalties in the same place. Same as Dion Dublin. Dublin went high, Brown was more varied but always to the same side. Alan Kelly in the FAC QF shootout and Matt Murray at Cardiff didn't need notes tucked in their socks or written on a water bottle to know which way they'd put it. We'd been watching them do it on TV all season long. It was so utterly predictable.

As for the fightback that never happened. I thought the same thing at the time. Score that pen and we've got 40+ minutes to come back. We know we can do that, Wolves know we can do that. The atmosphere will be in our favour.

Then in 2011 I was watching the playoff final between Swansea and Reading. Swans are 3-0 up at half time and in the 49th minute Reading get one back. I said to the people I was watching with that we will now find out what would have happened if Brown had scored his pen. Reading got another back and had a chance to equalise with a goalbound shot blocked away. I think they also hit the post. A Swansea pen 10 mins from time ended the comeback. 4-2. I believe this a more likely outcome of that day in Cardiff if the pen goes in than us winning a shootout or in ET.
I’d lost all interest and went for a hotdog. As I was waiting for it we won the pen. There were screens on the concourse, opposite the hotdog place. As Brownie went to take the pen I realised the girl serving me was looking at me as if to say ‘aren’t you going to watch?’
I just said ‘he’ll miss’.

FA Up Semi Final 60/61 result UNITED 0 Leicester Shitty 0 robbed by the ref who years later admitted his one regret in football should have been allowing the goal Result should have been
UNITED 1 Leicester Shitty 0

Remember the FA Cup was Hugely important then

Yes Vardy is a cunt but the worst feeling for me was at the millennium stadium, Warnock dropped the shitting man Windass (allegedly) and put Kabba in... Warnock after...……………... said big mistake!

Back
Top Bottom