Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have you any more of Carver St? Specifically the junction/crossroads with Wellington St. Would be most obliged to see them.
I'm guessing this photo is Carver St between Wellington St and the Moor. If so a little higher up on that side used to be Olivetti's (typewriters) shop, 58-61 to my knowledge. It stood out as it had been refurbished and looked bright against the majority of drab neglected properties as in your photo.
Like the doorway in the white building, must be 4' 6" off the ground. Or is it a door? When is a door not a door springs to mind.
That pic is on the top half of Calver St, XM657. Between Division St and West St. I think the building are still there, but have been tarted up considerably into bars/eateries. Yes, I've got some other pics somewhere from different years around the spot you mentioned. I'm afraid my filing system is not what you'd call robust, but I'll cetainly put them up when I've unearthed them. 👍

Who remembers the old football special trains from back in the day , used to be a great atmosphere on them but no wonder they always used to put the old carriages on them as they used to get wrecked
View attachment 76610
Was born a bit too young to enjoy myself on these mate. If you are correct that they were dying out by 1983 I’d have still only been 11.

That said I do remember going on one to Portsmouth first game of season after we’d won promotion from the 4th.

Bizarrely I remember my dad dropping me off at the train station and asking a couple of blades if they’d keep an eye on me. I suppose times were different back then😀

Even as a youngster I remember the Hull station. I recall me and my mate looking over the wall at the top of the terracing seeing the train pull in with scarves, flags and bodies hanging out of the windows.

The nutters are here we said to each other with a massive grin on our faces, little wannabe hoolies we were in those days

Was born a bit too young to enjoy myself on these mate. If you are correct that they were dying out by 1983 I’d have still only been 11.

That said I do remember going on one to Portsmouth first game of season after we’d won promotion from the 4th.

Bizarrely I remember my dad dropping me off at the train station and asking a couple of blades if they’d keep an eye on me. I suppose times were different back then😀

Even as a youngster I remember the Hull station. I recall me and my mate looking over the wall at the top of the terracing seeing the train pull in with scarves, flags and bodies hanging out of the windows.

The nutters are here we said to each other with a massive grin on our faces, little wannabe hoolies we were in those days
Portsmouth was an experience, remember the big bald black Pompey fan offering us out from car roofs before getting nicked and fighting with the coppers. Garner got the first ever professional foul sending off ,Conroy couldnt catch Corona and we lost 4-1. Typical blades day out in those days.

Warley Rd. Blackpool 1948, snake belt and new bought proper bat, literally 10-15 mins earlier, looking to it's future use with Yorkshire.:confused:
View attachment 76778.
Looking at the back of that bat I bet the ball went pretty well if you caught it sweetly.

Bit of heartwood on the outside edge so probably needed some tape or glue at some point 😀

Some very knowledgeable people on this thread regarding Sheffield and surrounding areas . Not from Sheffield area myself got me thinking , is there a specific area where De- Dah is spoken . Go to Barnsley away game and all they sing is De- Dah, De-Dah. But on a match day you don’t very often hear it spoken although there are crowds of 30000.
Worst case we ever heard was on a boat trip in Tenby , a group got on and where talking very strong De-Dah Sheffield accents, my wife thought it was proper Welsh accents until I told her they are from Sheffield.
So just wondered if it was only from a certain part of Sheffield this accent originally comes from , like if you are born within the sounds of Bow bells you are a proper cockney and talk utter crap.

The original SYPTE livery was also changed from memory to a darker shade of brown. The first buses I remember were a very cat vomit pale brown. Our trams always looked smart due to not only having the finest colour scheme ever but to the lack of advertising. I think some cars did carry adverts in later years though.
You are correct on both counts, another reason the trams looked so smart was that even when they started having adverts, for many years they were sign written rather that being pasted on.

I did most of my drinking down t'Cliffe and Darnall back in the day and Dee Dah speech was commonplace then. An example, on meeting a friend, would be:'Dah den dee'. (Now then, you). I still use dee dah speech now sometimes, when in the right company.
Remember Rovrum fans on the Bramall Lane End several years ago chanting it at us when an Emergency Vehicle passed with its sirens on. The timing made it quite funny.

That pic is on the top half of Calver St, XM657. Between Division St and West St. I think the building are still there, but have been tarted up considerably into bars/eateries. Yes, I've got some other pics somewhere from different years around the spot you mentioned. I'm afraid my filing system is not what you'd call robust, but I'll cetainly put them up when I've unearthed them. 👍
But that part is almost level. Division St to the Moor slopes with Wellington St intersecting about half way down. Looking on a 1924 street map it also crossed Button Lane yards before it hit the Moor. I recon your photo was taken from Button Lane, or what was left of it, because on the whole of Carver St. there is only one court yard, in amongst the buildings, with entry to Carver St and it's probably 10-15 yards up from Button Lane. I believe the large arched opening in your photo is that entry.

Have you any more of Carver St? Specifically the junction/crossroads with Wellington St. Would be most obliged to see them.
I'm guessing this photo is Carver St between Wellington St and the Moor. If so a little higher up on that side used to be Olivetti's (typewriters) shop, 58-61 to my knowledge. It stood out as it had been refurbished and looked bright against the majority of drab neglected properties as in your photo.
Like the doorway in the white building, must be 4' 6" off the ground. Or is it a door? When is a door not a door springs to mind.
I've found a couple more may be of interest. First, a couple taken from the roof of what was then Telephone House, showing the Calver St/Wellington St area. Taken in March 1983.

TH north east Calver St March 1983.jpg

TH roof east March 1983.jpg

And finally, for now, one along Wellington St towards Calver St from Cambridge St end, taken in July 1986. I've got some more somewhere.......Wellington St July 1986.jpg

Portsmouth was an experience, remember the big bald black Pompey fan offering us out from car roofs before getting nicked and fighting with the coppers. Garner got the first ever professional foul sending off ,Conroy couldnt catch Corona and we lost 4-1. Typical blades day out in those days.

Yeh remember it myself well pal eventful first game of season that think me 2 older brothers had some fun that day on a mini bus excursion .. had a few run ins with them in the years that followed .. think Portrrfield made too many changes to the side that had just got em promoted year previous , was s bit of a reality check for us

I think it was the number 2 clockwise & the number 59 anti clockwise. (the 59 could have been re-numbered from the 3 though)

I'm not sure any of you have got the hang of the number 2 routing.

It's a 'well known fact' that on a driver's birthday, he was given a number 2 and told to go anywhere he wanted for 2 hours but avoiding the city centre.
I often saw them on Coldwell Lane S10, Archer Road S11, Meadowhall Road and all over the place.

If you looked really hard you'd see the 'happy birthday ' banner behind the driver...

It's a 'well known fact' that on a driver's birthday, he was given a number 2 and told to go anywhere he wanted for 2 hours but avoiding the city centre.
I often saw them on Coldwell Lane S10, Archer Road S11, Meadowhall Road and all over the place.

If you looked really hard you'd see the 'happy birthday ' banner behind the driver...
The route learning did leave a bit to be desired.....

What about the number 3 then? 😁

I've found a couple more may be of interest. First, a couple taken from the roof of what was then Telephone House, showing the Calver St/Wellington St area. Taken in March 1983.

View attachment 76781

View attachment 76782

And finally, for now, one along Wellington St towards Calver St from Cambridge St end, taken in July 1986. I've got some more somewhere.......View attachment 76783
I used to walk along there, I was an apprentice at Crabtree & Nicol. Living in fear and sandwich shop duties were a steep learning curve. There was a sandwich shop on Wellington Street known as the "Cat Shop" as it had a cat that slept in the window using the dripping bowl as a bed.

It wasn't very popular.

I think it was the number 2 clockwise & the number 59 anti clockwise. (the 59 could have been re-numbered from the 3 though)

Number 59 bus went up to Bradway before that area was serviced by number 75.

I think a circular bus route today (when we get back to normal) would be very popular.

I had a great Aunt who with a work colleague (they worked in Atkinsons cafe) used to go on the circular every week on a day off.

But that part is almost level. Division St to the Moor slopes with Wellington St intersecting about half way down. Looking on a 1924 street map it also crossed Button Lane yards before it hit the Moor. I recon your photo was taken from Button Lane, or what was left of it, because on the whole of Carver St. there is only one court yard, in amongst the buildings, with entry to Carver St and it's probably 10-15 yards up from Button Lane. I believe the large arched opening in your photo is that entry.
These are the building in question, XM657. The Google earth pic below should be pretty recent. They are definitely on the top section between Division Street and West St. 👍 Screenshot_20200411-163558_Earth.jpg

I used to walk along there, I was an apprentice at Crabtree & Nicol. Living in fear and sandwich shop duties were a steep learning curve. There was a sandwich shop on Wellington Street known as the "Cat Shop" as it had a cat that slept in the window using the dripping bowl as a bed.

It wasn't very popular.
When I worked in Telephone House for a few years, I'd often go that sandwich shop on the corner of Wellington St and Calver St, diagonally opposite Tele House. The name "Cat Shop" is ringing some unpleasant bells now....:oops:

Did you season the bat?
Certainly did, stood in a saucer of linseed oil with frequent rub downs, at the behest of my grandfather, for about a week, could have been longer. You bumped that memory from the dark recesses of my brain. Thanks 'cos all the people who would have remembered that have gone.

Back
Top Bottom