Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I can't be certain, but I remember seeing the mercurial Peter May in full flow, and suspect it may have been the same game. I was only about 9 and our Lydgate Lane school teacher had promised to take us for another match that got rained off. I do know Fred wasn't at the crease very long, but he left me with that cracking memory. The outfield was a bit rough on the outer edges where Ringstead and Hawksworth had enjoyed what was left of the grassy patches of the football pitch.
Some great players on show that day - including Alec & Eric Bedser.
Well that must have been against Surrey in that case.

Evokes many memories and thanks for sharing. I lived on Alderson Place some of those pictures are very close to my street.
Great photos aren't they. Although these pics are a bit later there wasn't much change from what I remember as a kid growing up in those streets in the 1960's & early 70s.

Looks like the 3-0 loss on 19/12/70. The first goal was an own goal by Gil Reece and the first photo seems to be that goal as Gil looked disappointed with himself. Don Rogers is the Swindon player picking the ball up.Not seen the photos before
Correct. The other photo is dated 11th October 1969, Swindon won 2-1.

Correct. The other photo is dated 11th October 1969, Swindon won 2-1.
Remember that game. We'd spent the morning in the Deer's Leap in Penhill. Think it was this game and other losses around the time that made us go for Hope, Ford and Hockey. Sir John's wisdom worked and we got promoted. Went to the first away game of the season to Orient on the midnight train and came back on the midnight train. Saw Barry Gibb being awarded best dressed man of the year award on balcony of John Stephen shop in Carnaby St. Peter Wyngarde also there. Lost 3-1 and thought this is going to be a long season. John Barnwell made his debut and Addison scored. London was still pretty exciting at the time especially for 17/18 year olds.

All these corners look the bloody same!! Yes. It's the corner with Margaret Street. You can see the Norfolk Park flats in the background of your first photo which you would not be able to see from the junction of Charlotte Road with Shoreham Street.

All these corners look the bloody same!! Yes. It's the corner with Margaret Street. You can see the Norfolk Park flats in the background of your first photo which you would not be able to see from the junction of Charlotte Road with Shoreham Street.
👍 Actually, quite a few junctions round there do look the same. Maybe they tried to save money on builder's plans..

Do you think the artist has correctly identified the players and put them in the right coloured shirts? From the black and white I can't tell. (Or rather, it looks like the player on the far left is wrong).
Agree with you that the player on the far left looks to be a Blade and looks like Tom Morren. The Blade in the middle facing the camera looks like Bob Cain. Someone said the photo was in 1896, the only time we played at Olive Grove that year was in a Benefit match for Albert Mumford. We won 5-0. It it was during 1896-97 season then it will be the 1-1 draw in the League in March 1897. Both Morren and Cain played in both matches.

Hereford Street, Stella Works, between Eyre St/St Mary's.
February 1985
Part of the street is still there as the access road to Decathlon front car park. Bricklayer's arms was on here somewhere, though I never ventured in.
View attachment 75250
My mind might be playing tricks. Is that row of buildings the site of W.A.Tyzack (an engineering company I think)?

My mind might be playing tricks. Is that row of buildings the site of W.A.Tyzack (an engineering company I think)?
I think you might well be right there HB. I've just been looking up some old info about the Bricklayers Arms, and a regular in there mentioned working at Tyzacks, so could well have been.

Back
Top Bottom