Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pleased to say I share one of Hodgy’s qualities- failure to keep programme collection tidy!
Hodgy was my all time Blades hero. I had goalkeeping aspirations as a young 'un. So I diligently studied all his positioning, reflex, anticipation and handling skills for years. The only quality I ended up nearly sharing with him was his height- and even then I was half an inch short!

Jasper Carrott ?
Made me laugh, because when I was younger I was once persuaded to have a "demi-wave".

For the uninitiated, a "demi-wave" was a sort of "soft-perm". This was back in the '80's when permed hair and the Leo Sayer/Tom Sellick (Magnum)/Peter Wyngarde (Department S) Starsky and Hutch look was in.

I used to go to "Taylor & Taylor" on Surrey Street. The hairdresser there, a plumb bisexual girl called Denise, convinced me that my hair was very fine and would benefit from a "demi-wave". She said, "it will give your hair so much more body".

It did.

I came out looking like Barbara Streisand! :oops:

FFS! :mad: I used to pick my girlfriend up outside work at 5.30pm. I turned up after having my "demi-wave" and waited in the usual spot. She spotted the car, walked towards it, then turned around and walked away. I jumped out the car and shouted, "Hey!". With an astonished look on her face she walked back towards the car. She got in and said...

"Oh my God! What have you done to your hair? I thought I recognised the car but then I saw this hair and I though it was a woman in it!":oops:

My curly mop didn't go down too well. Luckily, I wasn't living in Sheffield for long. I was working darn sarth, where I got called, "Jasper Carrott" and "Kevin Keegan". But the best one of all was from one of my old Sheffield workmates, who said I looked like, "a poor woman's Barry Manilow".😃

I have never had curly hair since!

In fact, I have not had much hair since!🤔

Hodgy was my all time Blades hero. I had goalkeeping aspirations as a young 'un. So I diligently studied all his positioning, reflex, anticipation and handling skills for years. The only quality I ended up nearly sharing with him was his height- and even then I was half an inch short!
Looks like you and me led parallel lives as Blades fans and budding Hodgys. Except I grew to 6 foot tall. Still didn't help me deal with crosses, mind...

Looks like you and me led parallel lives as Blades fans and budding Hodgys. Except I grew to 6 foot tall. Still didn't help me deal with crosses, mind...
[/QUO
My actual all time goalkeeper hero ever was Lev Yashin. There again, my only brush with similarity there was a black roll neck sweater. At least I felt like I looked the business. I've just found out he was 6ft 2". So you weren't far of him either...

I wasn't far off him ... Except in ability. I was also a big fan of Trautmann - I want to get round to watching the film based on his life story, which came out a couple of years ago.

Silent Blade if that report is correct just when did The Wednesday F.C. become Sheffield Wednesday?

Silent Blade if that report is correct just when did The Wednesday F.C. become Sheffield Wednesday?
They were called The Wednesday until 1929. I have seen a different photo of Olive Grove in Keith Farnsworth that had Sheffield Wednesday FC painted on that roof. Not seen an explanation on this.

Are the pedestals adjustable and what kind of distance generally between sub floor and FF?

2-01.png

What distance would you like ?

The Guernsey Road area, April 1983.
Between the junction of Queens Road/London Road and the railway tracks. I know many Blades fans park up there (or used to :() on match days. A couple of decades ago there was Comet (now derelict) B&Q, ( now a gym?, previously Dunhelm Mills) and Halfords (still there).
This first one below, with my back to London Road, is Sark Road, leading to Guernsey Road round the corner on the left.
001 - Copy (2).jpg
A shot of Guernsey Road below: Just to the right of that green gate is Cutler's Walk which many will know still leads under the railway, across the river up to the Heeley pubs for pre and post match pints. (Cutler's walk photos to follow in another post....)
003.jpg
Another shot below on Guernsey Road, back nearer to Sark road, taken from what is now an opticians/previously golf shop??
003 - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom