Gaffers view.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Because we're fans. As a manager he has to say things like the above to motivate and inspire better performances. That's not really our job. We should be getting behind them when they need it and appreciating them when they deserve it.

So we should stand and applaud anyone, regardless of how bad they may have played, so long as they’ve ran about a lot (I’m not saying we played badly today)

When discussing the ‘not applauding effort’ thing Wilder has said that it’s a given and that ‘the punters’ deserve more.

Today Wilder described the performance as ‘outstanding’. It wasn’t. How does that fit in with the idea that he says what he does to try and inspire better performances.

Thought the result didn't reflect the performance today, unfortunately when it comes to finishing, and producing killer balls we are still some way behind the likes of Liverpool, Man City etc. Most enjoyable game of the season for me. The fans streaming out before the end happens at every game no matter what the result or who we have played.

You seriously thought that creating no clear chances against a poor Brighton side was the most enjoyable game so far? Even more than is demolishing Burnley 3-0 or the win against Arsenal?

So we should stand and applaud anyone, regardless of how bad they may have played, so long as they’ve ran about a lot (I’m not saying we played badly today)

When discussing the ‘not applauding effort’ thing Wilder has said that it’s a given and that ‘the punters’ deserve more.

Today Wilder described the performance as ‘outstanding’. It wasn’t. How does that fit in with the idea that he says what he does to try and inspire better performances.

I'm talking directly in relation to today's game, where we worked very hard and just lacked a bit of quality up top. I think the performance warranted applause.

I try not to take everything Wilder says too literally. He has to strike the right messages at the right times. Occasionally that may involve the odd contradiction over a course of a season (Leicester was in August last year) I don't get too hung up on his every word.

You seriously thought that creating no clear chances against a poor Brighton side was the most enjoyable game so far? Even more than is demolishing Burnley 3-0 or the win against Arsenal?

Each to their own LJ but yes, the game was feisty at times. I wouldn't say there was no clear cut chances but we played some lovely stuff at times plus we had to be wary against some crafty, decent players.

I'm talking directly in relation to today's game, where we worked very hard and just lacked a bit of quality up top. I think the performance warranted applause.

I try not to take everything Wilder says too literally. He has to strike the right messages at the right times. Occasionally that may involve the odd contradiction over a course of a season (Leicester was in August last year) I don't get too hung up on his every word.

It got applause, it just didn’t get people sticking around after the game to clap the team all the way around and then off the pitch, like what happens when the team really deserves it. The most positive thing about the performance today is that the team worked hard and we aren’t supposed to applaud effort. We drew against a poor Brighton team, and yes we need to consider how far we’ve come in such a short space of time, but we’re better than that and shouldn’t be looking for pats on the back after games like today.

Each to their own LJ but yes, the game was feisty at times. I wouldn't say there was no clear cut chances but we played some lovely stuff at times plus we had to be wary against some crafty, decent players.

I’d say there weren’t any clear cut chances, because there weren’t. It was very far from the most enjoyable game for me.

I was totally bemused by Chris’s assessment of the game today and thought he must have been talking about another match. As much as I am delighted where we are and what we have achieved you cannot ignore the fact that today was an off day for us, I was really struggling to think who could be our MOTM. Also I don’t care if this ruffles feathers but we have been playing long. When McBurnie is the target I get it but playing this way up to Billy is a complete waste of time? He won FA today and I felt sorry for him. Everything was down the left in the first half and we overplay. FFS get the ball knocked in early or even better try and beat a man and have a go. The only players that seem to want to have a run with the ball are Bash and Fleck. This would also generate a better atmosphere. I mean look what happens when the Moose comes on (not sure why they changed their minds today either) and he’s running at defenders the crowd are on their feet and the noise levels are raised. It’s difficult to generate any atmosphere when we are tippy tappy sideways and back and then when we do cross not beating the first defender. I Still love you Chris but it think errors were made today. Whoever told you that we were launching it and looking for second balls which clearly wound you up I’m afraid they were right.

To be honest I normally stay and clap, but occasionally I walk off in disgust after the match. It’s not always because of the players performance though, like today I was pissed off because the ref only added 3 minutes injury time. I’m just a sore loser I think.

I’d say there weren’t any clear cut chances, because there weren’t. It was very far from the most enjoyable game for me.

We created at least three clear cut chances, besides the goal.

Regarding the debate about Wilder’s comments: we lost the game to Leicester. I think at that point in the season Wilder was keen that the players and supporters not adopt a “plucky losers” mentality so he underlined that then. Going by his comments before and after today’s match, he’s worried our supporters are adopting a bit of a entitled mentality and might not give the support they deserve in the final stretch of the season.

Judging by some of the reactions on here tonight, I think he’s right about that.

Regarding the debate about Wilder’s comments: we lost the game to Leicester. I think at that point in the season Wilder was keen that the players and supporters not adopt a “plucky losers” mentality so he underlined that then. Going by his comments before and after today’s match, he’s worried our supporters are adopting a bit of a entitled mentality and might not give the support they deserve in the final stretch of the season.

Judging by some of the reactions on here tonight, I think he’s right about that.

I saw your list of the three ‘clear cut chances’ earlier in a different thread. None of them were clear cut chances.

I saw your list of the three ‘clear cut chances’ earlier in a different thread. None of them were clear cut chances.

McBurnie unmarked 10 yards out is not a clear cut chance? Hard to see what qualifies if that doesn’t.

Opta gave us three big chances. Not definitive of course but backs up my point.

McBurnie unmarked 10 yards out is not a clear cut chance? Hard to see what qualifies if that doesn’t.

Opta gave us three big chances. Not definitive of course but backs up my point.

It’s a chance but it’s not clear cut. You’ve got to consider that it was on his weaker foot, he was facing away from goal and there were players in between him and the net. I had a very good view of it at the time, it happened right in front of me, and I thought that it was a good chance but it would have been an excellent finish had he scored it.

Did Opta say which chances those were? I guess watching the game live isn’t as important these days

It does piss me off where I sit on G block on the South Stand. Four on my row arrive 20 minutes after the game has started. 10 minutes before half time they go to the bar. Arrive back ten minutes into the second half. Leave 10 minutes before the end. What the fuck? Why bother turning up at all? Each to their own but it just baffles me.

It’s a chance but it’s not clear cut. You’ve got to consider that it was on his weaker foot, he was facing away from goal and there were players in between him and the net. I had a very good view of it at the time, it happened right in front of me, and I thought that it was a good chance but it would have been an excellent finish had he scored it.

Did Opta say which chances those were? I guess watching the game live isn’t as important these days

He wasn’t facing away from goal. He swung at it with his weaker foot but he needn’t have. He had the time to let it run across his body and hit it with his right, or even take a touch and bury it.

I think Opta said all three of the big chances were in the second half. I’d guess it was that one, the one he had saved in the scramble, and the flick from McGoldrick’s cross. Like I said, it’s not definitive but it felt right to me when I saw it after the game.

I wouldn’t say we were outstanding but I thought we were better than against West Ham, Palace, or Bournemouth and it felt to me that we created enough to win—the stats back that up.

He wasn’t facing away from goal. He swung at it with his weaker foot but he needn’t have. He had the time to let it run across his body and hit it with his right, or even take a touch and bury it.

I think Opta said all three of the big chances were in the second half. I’d guess it was that one, the one he had saved in the scramble, and the flick from McGoldrick’s cross. Like I said, it’s not definitive but it felt right to me when I saw it after the game.

I wouldn’t say we were outstanding but I thought we were better than against West Ham, Palace, or Bournemouth and it felt to me that we created enough to win—the stats back that up.

He was facing away from goal, he was facing towards the family stand. He was side on to the net. Because of this he couldn’t let it run across his body and if he had taken a touch the defenders would’ve been on to him fairly quickly. I agree that it was a chance, I just think it was a lot harder than you’re making out and it would’ve still been an excellent strike had he scored.

The one McBurnie had saved in the scramble wasn’t really a chance either, it was more luck than anything that it fell to him and the keeper was on top of him before he had chance to get the shot off, resulting in a fairly easy save.

We were better than we were against Bournemouth, granted, but we weren’t as good as we were against West Ham or Palace. The difference in those games is that the opposition wanted to win the game as well. Brighton were happy to let us attack and we still created very little

I think his comments today were in direct contradiction to the comments after the Leicester game, when the fans stayed behind and applauded the workrate & performance, and CW said that wasn’t sufficient as we’d not got the result.

Something other than the game today had upset him.
Maybe something else has upset him but I think he is out of order moaning at the fans we are selling out home and away, it looked to me when he changed his mind about bringing Moose on that it was HIM settling for a point, one of the strangest decisions I have seen him make. How is Didzy a better option when he hasn't scored all season and hasn't kicked a ball in anger for weeks?

Maybe something else has upset him but I think he is out of order moaning at the fans we are selling out home and away, it looked to me when he changed his mind about bringing Moose on that it was HIM settling for a point, one of the strangest decisions I have seen him make. How is Didzy a better option when he hasn't scored all season and hasn't kicked a ball in anger for weeks?
You don't need Mousset's speed when the opposition bare camped in their own box. You need some cleverness. That's what we get from McGoldrick.
The complexity of the attack went up when he came on. Should have kept Billy on though as he's the only one we've got with a fierce strikers finish.

He was facing away from goal, he was facing towards the family stand. He was side on to the net. Because of this he couldn’t let it run across his body and if he had taken a touch the defenders would’ve been on to him fairly quickly. I agree that it was a chance, I just think it was a lot harder than you’re making out and it would’ve still been an excellent strike had he scored.

The one McBurnie had saved in the scramble wasn’t really a chance either, it was more luck than anything that it fell to him and the keeper was on top of him before he had chance to get the shot off, resulting in a fairly easy save.

We were better than we were against Bournemouth, granted, but we weren’t as good as we were against West Ham or Palace. The difference in those games is that the opposition wanted to win the game as well. Brighton were happy to let us attack and we still created very little

He was facing somewhere between the corner flag and the goal. Not perfectly square-on to the goal, of course, but well set, and totally unmarked. If you don’t want it to be a clear chance, that’s fine—there’s no objective definition and it’s not worth arguing over any longer. I think he’ll be quite disappointed not to have done much better with it.

He was facing somewhere between the corner flag and the goal. Not perfectly square-on to the goal, of course, but well set, and totally unmarked. If you don’t want it to be a clear chance, that’s fine—there’s no objective definition and it’s not worth arguing over any longer. I think he’ll be quite disappointed not to have done much better with it.

He was disappointed, I saw his reaction at the time. Either way, that’s one chance against a poor team.

You don't need Mousset's speed when the opposition bare camped in their own box. You need some cleverness. That's what we get from McGoldrick.
The complexity of the attack went up when he came on. Should have kept Billy on though as he's the only one we've got with a fierce strikers finish.
It worked against Bournemouth, mind you today we were lumping it into the box packed with four 6'7" defenders the only time we tried anything different we scored. We made it far too easy for Brighton's giant defenders.

He was disappointed, I saw his reaction at the time. Either way, that’s one chance against a poor team.

Well, that’s Wilder’s point, isn’t it? An established Premier League team with a wage bill much bigger than our own has come and parked the bus against us. We haven’t cut them apart—of course we haven’t and we were never going to. We’ve dominated the game, had the chances to win it and our fans are cross about not beating a “poor team.

Well, that’s Wilder’s point, isn’t it? An established Premier League team with a wage bill much bigger than our own has come and parked the bus against us. We haven’t cut them apart—of course we haven’t and we were never going to. We’ve dominated the game, had the chances to win it and our fans are cross about not beating a “poor team.
Let's be honest about the game for all our possession, pressing and effort we didn't really have a clue how to break them down, constant high balls when they have a giant back four, fucking hell there were occasions when it was pumped up to Billy and their defenders were chesting it away we hardly put any low balls into the box behind their defenders and played nothing to feet.
We have done the same to teams, forced them to cross the ball in from near the halfway line so Bash, Egan and Jack just head it away Brighton did that to us today give them a bit of credit we have to be a bit smarter than that when teams come and park the bus.

Let's be honest about the game for all our possession, pressing and effort we didn't really have a clue how to break them down, constant high balls when they have a giant back four, fucking hell there were occasions when it was pumped up to Billy and their defenders were chesting it away we hardly put any low balls into the box behind their defenders and played nothing to feet.
We have done the same to teams, forced them to cross the ball in from near the halfway line so Bash, Egan and Jack just head it away Brighton did that to us today give them a bit of credit we have to be a bit smarter than that when teams come and park the bus.

I just don’t really agree. I think we created the chances to win the game. We didn’t create a bucketload of chances but I don’t think many teams would against Brighton set up that way. They had four centre-halves on the pitch at one point!

Do we need to be a bit cuter in the final third? Yes, and not just today. I’d like Wilder to consider going back to a player in the Duffy role to help unlock defences and I think we need a really top-class striker—easy to say, much harder for a team like us to acquire! But overall today I thought we played well. I enjoyed the game, enjoyed seeing us attack, thought it was quite exciting, unlike some of our other draws and even wins this season. I agree with Wilder that some of our fans have got a bit carried away.

It does piss me off where I sit on G block on the South Stand. Four on my row arrive 20 minutes after the game has started. 10 minutes before half time they go to the bar. Arrive back ten minutes into the second half. Leave 10 minutes before the end. What the fuck? Why bother turning up at all? Each to their own but it just baffles me.
Wilder has every right to vent his opinions, like we all do. Most games I stay and clap the team at the end. When there was a lot of L1 dross (and years ago, Division 1 dross), I didn't. I ALWAYS stay to the end, always have, even if I don't clap. Totally agree about the idiots who spend about 50 minutes watching each game. We stand (yes) off gangway D, kop, and there are a number of regulars who at every single game, whatever day or time, arrive late, and prioritise getting a pie at 3.35 pm (or equivalent) over everything else. They piss me off. I'm not immune myself, missed the goal today as I needed a piss but this is human nature, not a conscious decision every single game to arrive late then bugger off on a pie hunt 10 minutes before half time. Same applies to those leaving every single week at 4.40pm (or 9.25pm for a night game). Like you say Hillsboro, why bother? I don't think Wilder's rant was about clapping but more probably about his team seeing stands emptying well before the final whistle. If that pisses me off, it's certainly not going to make him very happy!!

It got applause, it just didn’t get people sticking around after the game to clap the team all the way around and then off the pitch, like what happens when the team really deserves it. The most positive thing about the performance today is that the team worked hard and we aren’t supposed to applaud effort. We drew against a poor Brighton team, and yes we need to consider how far we’ve come in such a short space of time, but we’re better than that and shouldn’t be looking for pats on the back after games like today.

Spot on - exactly how I saw it.

A small critique for the hallowed manager. I think today needed Mousett’s pace to turn those big centre backs. Not easy when they defend so deep, but I’m sure the Moose could have been a handful for them.
Wilder is only human after all. 🙈

Back
Top Bottom