McBurnie Drink Driving bust

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The chart doesn't take into account the amount of time you take to drink the drinks. If you had 3 pints over the course of an evening, between 7pm and midnight, you wouldn't be still over the limit at 7:30am.
You DO need to be very careful and there is a false sense of safety of 'being ok in the morning' . A skinful on a night will see you over the limit in the morning.

Food is also a factor. A few pints on an empty stomach are very different to a few pints with a big meal.

The graphic is wrong. Just because someone makes a graphic and puts it on the internet doesn't mean it's right. Incorrect information doesn't help any argument or cause.
If so, wouldn't you rather it be wrong and err on the side of caution?

Drink driving limits are a big grey area because it's measured by alcohol in the bloodstream. No one truly knows how many you can have before driving, or how long it truly takes your body to burn off those units of alcohol, only a rough guess.

Regardless of that, can you honestly say you've never driven a car over the drink driving limit?

Exactly the same viewpoint as me, but I'm as guilty as any for it. I've done it plenty.

But I can honestly say I've never even considered getting in my car after being out on the lash. I just find that an utterly bizarre pattern of thought.

Like yourself i have not driven (intentionally) whilst over the limited after having a drink at night, i used to have a 2 pint limit back when i started driving 25 years ago and probably stuck to this for probably 5-10 years. But as lager has got stronger, i've also become more reliant on the car and gone from driving old bangers to nicer cars, i rarely have more than a pint if i am driving.

I've never been comfortable with the whole drink driving the morning after thing. I know the difference in how i feel after 3-4 pints, but if you measure the equivalent the morning after i would feel different. However, when the alcohol is still in the blood, you can't argue with the law.

I think the issue for me is that on the evening people always take the effort to ensure that they get home by other means - taxi, late bus, hotel/ mates house etc, but then the following morning you feel ok. The law's the law though.

As we can see, what with his continued selection in the first team.
You’re right. I’m lying.

Let’s not forget Sharp has been out suspended, McGoldrick injured and Mousset not fully fit.

Even so, sometimes in management you give someone a chance to prove themselves despite poor performance. Particularly when said person has cost you a lot of money.

Firstly, what a muppet. With the money he’s on and his high profile (he’ll stick out like a sore thumb looking like he does at his size) theres no excuse not to get a taxi. Absolute stupidity.

That said, he’s 23. Nobody on here can tell me they didn't do something stupid at 23. Maybe not THIS stupid, but certainly something. He’s made questionable decisions so far and rapidly using up his good will points with some, but I don't think we should be chucking him under the bus just yet.

Trust Wilder to “have a word”- I wouldn't like to think I was going in for that meeting this morning :oops:. Fine him and bollock him. Hopefully he’ll get a ban, be humbled and hire that chauffeur. Public apology on his social media- maybe even force him to do an interview as part of his punishment. As others have said, handled correctly, it could be the boot up the arse the lad needs. If not... well, we’ll have to see.

As for dropping him tonight or longer? Thats Wilders decision; he’ll judge it. Nobody will be moaning about McB if he plays and bags tonight.

You’re right. I’m lying.

Let’s not forget Sharp has been out suspended, McGoldrick injured and Mousset not fully fit.

Even so, sometimes in management you give someone a chance to prove themselves despite poor performance. Particularly when said person has cost you a lot of money.
Sharp was back for the last game, McBurnie played. Mousset has been fit for weeks.

Wilder doesn't play players due to their transfer fee. That's a fact.

• Wow
Reactions: FYT
So, I see this as being pretty much the hot topic of the day today so let's get some perspective and some facts.
Could probably belong in general chat but I feel it's relative to United with today's news.

Everyone's whiter than white when it comes to drink driving it seems, right?
You've never got in a car after a session and drove home (cunts trick admittedly) so you've never been over the limit, right? Wrong.
Look at this chart and tell me if you follow that the morning, or in some cases the afternoon after you've had a drink?

View attachment 62926

If you've had a few in the house on a random Tuesday night and drove the morning after to work, you've probably been over the limit.
If you've had a skinful with the lads after the footy on a saturday then took the kids to Sunday league the day after, you've probably been over the limit.
If you've been out on Christmas Eve and drove to your parents Christmas Day morning you've probably been over the limit.
You catch my drift...

I'm not sticking up for McBurnie here, I've made my feelings clear on that thread already. Just reigning a few of you in.

After that, can you honestly say you've never driven a car over the drink driving limit? As much as I'd like to, I can't.
Your points are all valid.

But why does it feel that you are “sticking up for him” all the same ?

Young men and drink is a well covered chapter in the history of the world.

Add self entitled overpaid Hampton in to the mix and the result is inevitable !!

I’ll continue to judge him in a Blades shirt rather than anything else.

But, everything considered, he hasn’t had the best of starts to his Blades career.

Has he ??

UTB

Have we just spent £20m on a foolish cunt. Ouch.

Typical that our huge record signing would do this. This club is hilarious at times.

This is one to put down to our limited scouting and recruitment range. Given the lack of UK based options it almost felt like we had to sign him.

He already had a lot to prove, now massively so. Hopefully something will click in that stupid fucking head of his but I'm not holding my breath.

Then how much has he been drinking to be over the limit still the next morning on the way to training? Work the next morning and four nights before a big big league game no less. Either way he's out of order.

In fact might go some way to explaining his huffing and puffing on the pitch.

As mentioned elsewhere. Somebody says we train Fridays. Is that prior to a Saturday game? In which case were they training yesterday instead?

Friday "Could have" been their day off. I don't know, i'm not close to, or know anybody close to the club. If they were off Friday, then he's entitled to be out Thursday evening.

All of that said ^^^ if he drove home from his night out then he needs banning from driving, community service etc. etc.

I think people have their own limits based on their tolerances though. Fact is you’re only likely to get pulled if you have something wrong with your car or you’re driving like a twat. I can honestly say I’ve been driving for almost 6 years now and never once been pulled. Regardless of how tolerant you think you are to alcohol, if you’re over the limit you’re over and that’s that but I do think that’s reflected in the outcome should you be pulled.

As I said on the other thread, if McBurnie was just over, he’ll probably get a slap on the wrist if it’s a first offence. the fact he’s been charged though would suggest he’s failed the roadside breathalyser and the one back at the cop shop too which would suggest he’s had more than enough.

My general rule is that if I’m having a big meal, I’d be okay to have a couple, it’s normally 1 and a half to be on the safe side. If I’m not eating I stick to one. Have I been over the limit when driving? Almost certainly at some point. I’ve had 2 before without and eating and even that was enough to make me think twice about doing that again.

This is more accurate despite the source - it is pretty much exactly what a good mate of mine who's a traffic cop has said to me.

Comparing Jamie Vardy to Ollie McBurnie?

Vardy has the pace to leave most defenders in his wake and is a proven goal scorer at the highest level.

Sadly, McBurnie does not have anything like that kind of pace and has not caused many problems for any defender in his 9 starts in the Premier League so far.

What I mean is, I don't think the two are any more comparable than Dean Hammond and Paul Scholes 🤷🏻‍♂️
I see. As we were discussing personality and character I assumed you were in some way referring to that, rather than just footballing ability. Although it’s kind of irrelevant to the discussion, Vardy struggled to step up when he first joined Leicester. I guess if there’s a point to that, it’s that some dickheads grow up and stop being dickheads. Although it’s fair to say others don’t.
I hope this is a wake up call for him. Maybe he should read Nade’s story and realise that he could end up going the same way if he doesn’t wise up.

Your points are all valid.

But why does it feel that you are “sticking up for him” all the same ?

Young men and drink is a well covered chapter in the history of the world.

Add self entitled overpaid Hampton in to the mix and the result is inevitable !!

I’ll continue to judge him in a Blades shirt rather than anything else.

But, everything considered, he hasn’t had the best of starts to his Blades career.

Has he ??

UTB
I’m not sticking up for him at all, I’ve made my feelings very clear. If you want to view it like that that’s up to you but you’ve clearly missed the point.

As mentioned elsewhere. Somebody says we train Fridays. Is that prior to a Saturday game? In which case were they training yesterday instead?

Friday "Could have" been their day off. I don't know, i'm not close to, or know anybody close to the club. If they were off Friday, then he's entitled to be out Thursday evening.

All of that said ^^^ if he drove home from his night out then he needs banning from driving, community service etc. etc.

I doubt anybody here would argue he isn't entitled to a night out when he's got the next day off work...

But laddo doesn't work a desk job 9-5 does he now? He's Sheffield United's record signing who has yet to pull up any trees in an industry where his peers are athletes performing at the highest level. I'd be very, very surprised to find out the majority of PL footballers are out on the lash less than 4 days before game day. It's a step up and he's got the rest of his life to enjoy a beer and a wine. Is it too much to hope that our players take care of their bodies in the lead up to a match?

I doubt anybody here would argue he isn't entitled to a night out when he's got the next day off work...

But laddo doesn't work a desk job 9-5 does he now? He's Sheffield United's record signing who has yet to pull up any trees in an industry where his peers are athletes performing at the highest level. I'd be very, very surprised to find out the majority of PL footballers are out on the lash less than 4 days before game day. It's a step up and he's got the rest of his life to enjoy a beer and a wine. Is it too much to hope that our players take care of their bodies in the lead up to a match?

Nah, you're wrong. According to those on here with PhDs in Sports Science and/or experience of top end elite sport - bevvying in the week is fine because that's the way we've always done it and Bladey McBlade Wilder encourages his players to get tanked up as it's good for pashun!!!

Comparing Jamie Vardy to Ollie McBurnie?

Vardy has the pace to leave most defenders in his wake and is a proven goal scorer at the highest level.

Sadly, McBurnie does not have anything like that kind of pace and has not caused many problems for any defender in his 9 starts in the Premier League so far.

What I mean is, I don't think the two are any more comparable than Dean Hammond and Paul Scholes 🤷🏻‍♂️

But at 23yo, Vardy was playing for Stocksbridge earning a major transfer to Halifax.

I think the point is that at 23 and doing not much, you can still turn it around to become a top level striker. The difference here is that McBurnie is playing in the PL 4years earlier than Vardy managed to. So why not?

how unusual

an over paid pro footballer doing something stupid

Schlupp at Leicester
download.jpg
ronaldo at man utd
download (2).jpg
darkho west ham
download (1).jpg

boundaries seem to not occur in footballers heads ,,,, full stop

footballers used to have a far wider drinking culture than today
but we had no social media send tweets within minutes back then

remember seeing blades players in night clubs till 2 am the night before games
bet not all of them took taxis

stupid yes ,,,,, unexpected ,,nah

Last edited:
This is one to put down to our limited scouting and recruitment range. Given the lack of UK based options it almost felt like we had to sign him.

Don't agree with this at all. It's indicative of a bad decision made by an employee of the club, nothing to do with our scouting network.

Is it only young players from the British Isles who drink drive?!

Fact is you’re only likely to get pulled if you have something wrong with your car or you’re driving like a twat. I can honestly say I’ve been driving for almost 6 years now and never once been pulled.

I wouldn't be so sure. I've been driving nearly 40 years and admittedly only been pulled over once, but there was nothing wrong with the car and I was driving pretty normally, the copper said he stopped me as I was doing 32 on a 30 stretch! I hadn't had a drink at all that night btw, and he said he knew that soon as I got out the car cos they can always smell it. Still got breathalysed though.

Back
Top Bottom