Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ah! If only eh!
Like most no doubt, I often rue not either a) listening or b) asking enough when I was a kid, as my mother reminisced regarding Foulke etc.
However....
One or two things stick in my memory..
My grandfather (whom I obviously never met as he died in 1934) was apparently a well known sporting figure in Victorian Sheffield (I still have the obituary the Star printed upon his death). He was a professional sprinter in his youth and later a trainer of greyhounds and coarsing dogs, consequently knowing many of Sheffield's sporting populous.
My mum always started reminiscing about Foulke when she saw his daughter walking past our house when I was a kid.

My grandparents lived in Arundel street, court 1, next door to the Lord Nelson pub (Fanny's) and my mum said you could hear Foulke coming when he was 100 yards away such was his booming voice.
As a small girl she said she was terrified of him because of this voice and his shear size.
He'd walk straight in their house (no knocking) shouting "is he in?" (my grandfather), my mother scurrying out of his path.
Later, her and my aunt (her elder sister) would be charged with excercising Foulke's dogs.
Their task being walking them 'up t'Ball' (Ball Inn pub at top of Myrtle Road), where the sports ground existed even back then amongst what was just countryside in those days.

Foulke's relatives lived near us when I was a kid and two of his great grandchildren went to Heeley Bank school with me.

I missed the chance to extract so much more anecdotal stuff, and now, as ever in life, it's too bleedin late! 🤨
Thank you for the insight into a Blades legend, a booming voice, that helps add another dimension to the man and even better an aspect of him I'd never considered. The walking into others homes was more or less normal as was never locking doors this I was lead to believe from my grandparents.
You must be proud of your grandfather, he must have been quite a man. Professional in those times was for prizes and or cash and was beside a full or part time job. I can sympathise regards not asking when younger but I believe most if not everyone are the same, know I am.

Thank you for the insight into a Blades legend, a booming voice, that helps add another dimension to the man and even better an aspect of him I'd never considered. The walking into others homes was more or less normal as was never locking doors this I was lead to believe from my grandparents.
You must be proud of your grandfather, he must have been quite a man. Professional in those times was for prizes and or cash and was beside a full or part time job. I can sympathise regards not asking when younger but I believe most if not everyone are the same, know I am.
Thanks for that nice response.
Yes, my grandfather was apparently quite a character and you are correct, his running exploits were generally rewarded with prizes etc. His main occupation was as a brewery drayman, horse and cart version!

Back to Foulke, his great grandson Richard Foulke had a spell on United's books in the early 70's but ended up in local football with several well known clubs, Sheffield FC being one.
His features and that of the younger slimmer William Foulke were uncannily alike.

Did Bunney's have a store down the other end of the Castle Market? Just further down from Market Tavern (Berni Inn)

There was a shop there but can't remember the name. Driving me mad.... It later became Western Jean Company and moved to Fargate.

C60F946B-E1D2-4EAD-B7F5-46122C0C1A01.jpeg

Halifax Bomber crew, early-1940s.

Far left, the crew’s Navigator. Big Sheffield United fan (he was in the record crowd against Leeds in 1936) and even bigger Jimmy Hagan fan. Born in 1921, so he’d be about 20 when this was taken. Volunteered for the RAF a couple of days after war was declared. My dad.

I’d never seen this picture until a couple of days ago.

I don't know what your taste in fiction is, but there is an excellent book by Kate Atkinson; 'A god in ruins'

(Her other book 'Life after life' preceeds this and is an excellent read but has a different WWII angle)

Technically, and not to be pedantic, but they were called Sta-Prest and it was a Levi brand name, which means that for a time, Levi Strauss had a monopoly on trousers that were cool to be seen in.

The first pair of Levi’s I owned cost 48/6d, which was over three weeks worth of paper round money at 14/6d a week. My Mum was horrified that jeans could cost so much when you could get a pair of Delamere brand for about 10/6d :)

I remember getting 14 shillings per week paper round.

In 1974 as an 18 year old I was working in Devon. I bought a made to measure Sheepskin coat for £73.00.

I was earning good money and probably had more money in those days (relatively speaking) than I do today.

Good quality coat that I still have.

View attachment 62320

Far left, the crew’s Navigator. Big Sheffield United fan (he was in the record crowd against Leeds in 1936) and even bigger Jimmy Hagan fan. Born in 1921, so he’d be about 20 when this was taken. Volunteered for the RAF a couple of days after war was declared. My dad.

I’d never seen this picture until a couple of days ago.
Respect, very brave men.

Amazing what you learn on here. I am 6 months older than him, so he was the year below me at Ecclesall. I spent all my time playing football, and I never came across him. Why wasn’t he in Endcliffe, Bingham or Millhouses? Anyone know where he lived?
High Storrs has had some good footballers - Kyle Walker, Jack Lester, Steve Heighway. Any more?
Me!

Ah. The Great Britain. My dad's pre match drinking venue. I can remember many hours waiting outside in the back yard with a bottle of pop and a packet of Nibbits. If it was particularly cold they would let me sit behind the bar in an old armchair facing a coal fire. If you looked one way you could imagine sitting in your own front rom, while behind you the bar pumps were working overtime.
I only went in once, a lunchtime and the landlady was doing the ironing in front of the bar. Any ideas when it closed, I thought c1974.

I only went in once, a lunchtime and the landlady was doing the ironing in front of the bar. Any ideas when it closed, I thought c1974.
I can certainly remember going in after 1976. Earlier someone said the houses at the top end of John Street where the pub stood were built in the early 80s, so it went between those dates.

I don't know what your taste in fiction is, but there is an excellent book by Kate Atkinson; 'A god in ruins'

(Her other book 'Life after life' preceeds this and is an excellent read but has a different WWII angle)

Thanks for that. Funnily enough, I have that book. I was given it as a birthday present and it’s on a pile of books I intend to get round to reading when I have the time. I’ll give it some priority in view of your recommendation!

The shop on Chapel Walk had lots of names.
Geoffrey Davis in like a cabin on Waingate, sold lots of Brutus gear and the shop in the Wicker run by two old gay men. Everything on clothes rails. Then Winstons on Snig Hill.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned Ray Allens. Bottom of Cambridge Street. Seem to remember a lot of artexing on the outside walls.

Tramps on King Street has already been referred to. A few years ago Tramps was re-opened in Crystal Peaks. Used exactly the same logo and carrier bags.

Foulke used his money well, had a shop on Asline Rd., off Bramall Lane, and another shop nearer town, believe both at the same time at one point. Understand he also ran a pub or two also, quite the business man between eating pies and kicking a bag of wind.

He was an early sporting celebrity, featured (briefly) in this moving picture.

Names and locations please (to see if they hog any memories).

WTF is that vehicle?!?!
TF is an Invalid Carriage forerunner of the sky blue fiberglass ones. Many were seen at sporting events around the country clustered near touch lines or track edges. Wonder what one of that vintage would fetch today?

Back yard of my Grandparents house on Bennett Street backed on to there.
If you were sat out the back pre match and a football came rolling down the yard early 70's it was probably ours.
Always knew it as The Ship.
All fits in, "The Ship" Brunel's iron, screw driven trans Atlantic ship. Stupid me thinking why name a pub after a conglomeration of countries.

Back
Top Bottom