Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He also had greyhounds which he used to race. My grandfather trained them for him and was a good friend of his.
Hope there are will be a few grandfather/Foulke anacdotes forthcoming. Please.

I think this is looking down on Lady's Bridge. Brings a whole new definition to grim

View attachment 62284

Chimneys everywhere. I found out this week that Kelham Island museum was a Victorian power station, so the Chimney House down there accounts for at least one of them.

Good to see the Tennant Brothers sign atop the brewery.

Ah. The Great Britain. My dad's pre match drinking venue. I can remember many hours waiting outside in the back yard with a bottle of pop and a packet of Nibbits. If it was particularly cold they would let me sit behind the bar in an old armchair facing a coal fire. If you looked one way you could imagine sitting in your own front rom, while behind you the bar pumps were working overtime.
Back yard of my Grandparents house on Bennett Street backed on to there.
If you were sat out the back pre match and a football came rolling down the yard early 70's it was probably ours.
Always knew it as The Ship.

Hope there are will be a few grandfather/Foulke anacdotes forthcoming. Please.
Ah! If only eh!
Like most no doubt, I often rue not either a) listening or b) asking enough when I was a kid, as my mother reminisced regarding Foulke etc.
However....
One or two things stick in my memory..
My grandfather (whom I obviously never met as he died in 1934) was apparently a well known sporting figure in Victorian Sheffield (I still have the obituary the Star printed upon his death). He was a professional sprinter in his youth and later a trainer of greyhounds and coarsing dogs, consequently knowing many of Sheffield's sporting populous.
My mum always started reminiscing about Foulke when she saw his daughter walking past our house when I was a kid.

My grandparents lived in Arundel street, court 1, next door to the Lord Nelson pub (Fanny's) and my mum said you could hear Foulke coming when he was 100 yards away such was his booming voice.
As a small girl she said she was terrified of him because of this voice and his shear size.
He'd walk straight in their house (no knocking) shouting "is he in?" (my grandfather), my mother scurrying out of his path.
Later, her and my aunt (her elder sister) would be charged with excercising Foulke's dogs.
Their task being walking them 'up t'Ball' (Ball Inn pub at top of Myrtle Road), where the sports ground existed even back then amongst what was just countryside in those days.

Foulke's relatives lived near us when I was a kid and two of his great grandchildren went to Heeley Bank school with me.

I missed the chance to extract so much more anecdotal stuff, and now, as ever in life, it's too bleedin late! 🤨

Dem Blades, wearing their FA Cup winners' medals
View attachment 62289
Top row: Charlie Field (reserve),Fred Priest, Harry Thickett, George Hedley, Ernest Needham.
Middle row; Jack Houseley (Trainer), Jack Almond, Peter Boyle,Harry Johnson, Billy Beer.
Bottom row; George Waller (trainer), Walter Bennett, a director, Tom Morren, Willie Foulke.

The 1899 Cup winners

Ah! If only eh!
Like most no doubt, I often rue not either a) listening or b) asking enough when I was a kid, as my mother reminisced regarding Foulke etc.
However....
One or two things stick in my memory..
My grandfather (whom I obviously never met as he died in 1934) was apparently a well known sporting figure in Victorian Sheffield (I still have the obituary the Star printed upon his death). He was a professional sprinter in his youth and later a trainer of greyhounds and coarsing dogs, consequently knowing many of Sheffield's sporting populous.
My mum always started reminiscing about Foulke when she saw his daughter walking past our house when I was a kid.

My grandparents lived in Arundel street, court 1, next door to the Lord Nelson pub (Fanny's) and my mum said you could hear Foulke coming when he was 100 yards away such was his booming voice.
As a small girl she said she was terrified of him because of this voice and his shear size.
He'd walk straight in their house (no knocking) shouting "is he in?" (my grandfather), my mother scurrying out of his path.
Later, her and my aunt (her elder sister) would be charged with excercising Foulke's dogs.
Their task being walking them 'up t'Ball' (Ball Inn pub at top of Myrtle Road), where the sports ground existed even back then amongst what was just countryside in those days.

Foulke's relatives lived near us when I was a kid and two of his great grandchildren went to Heeley Bank school with me.

I missed the chance to extract so much more anecdotal stuff, and now, as ever in life, it's too bleedin late! 🤨

I realise it will only be a small consolation, but until I read that, it had never crossed my mind that FF was a person as well as a big goalie and therefore had a life outside football. A wife, children, pets, friends. It sounds obvious but it never entered my mind, so thank you 😊

Did Bunney's have a store down the other end of the Castle Market? Just further down from Market Tavern (Berni Inn)

I can't really remember accurately now - I know there were several shops where we bought our gear back then - back in the days when "gear" meant clothing, and clothing meant, Stapress trousers, Harrington jacket, Crombie, Ben Sherman check shirts, brogue shoes. Bunney's was one of them. Colvin's was another - I think that might have been in the location you mention. Then there was Tramps on King Street. And Lennard's shoe shop on Pinstone Street for the brogues.

It wasn't a bad look that actually, although I never went as far as the "blue-beat" trilby. The Stapress trousers were most fashionable in a colour called "pewter" at first, then later on the "two-tone" Stapress came right into fashion. As a young teenager, with hormones a flowing, I found out an obvious downside to the two-tone Stapress. They shone a different colour if you got a boner on, making it rather obvious!

I think this is looking down on Lady's Bridge. Brings a whole new definition to grim

View attachment 62284

Sheffield was very grim back in the early 1960's and before. I can vaguely remember going to Sheffield as a young kid with my parents and it was such a dirty, smoggy, place. A lot happened in the late 60's and early 70's to clean it up. By the time I'd become a teenager the city had transformed itself into a clean, modern place, barely recognisable from the smoky, smelly hovel it was before.

Amazing what you learn on here. I am 6 months older than him, so he was the year below me at Ecclesall. I spent all my time playing football, and I never came across him. Why wasn’t he in Endcliffe, Bingham or Millhouses? Anyone know where he lived?
High Storrs has had some good footballers - Kyle Walker, Jack Lester, Steve Heighway. Any more?
Me ;)

Back yard of my Grandparents house on Bennett Street backed on to there.
If you were sat out the back pre match and a football came rolling down the yard early 70's it was probably ours.
Always knew it as The Ship.
I was talking late 50s early 60s so I would have been waiting quite a while for that ball to roll down ;). Never heard of the pub being referred to as The Ship. New information is what this thread is all about. Cheers

I can't really remember accurately now - I know there were several shops where we bought our gear back then - back in the days when "gear" meant clothing, and clothing meant, Stapress trousers, Harrington jacket, Crombie, Ben Sherman check shirts, brogue shoes. Bunney's was one of them. Colvin's was another - I think that might have been in the location you mention. Then there was Tramps on King Street. And Lennard's shoe shop on Pinstone Street for the brogues.

It wasn't a bad look that actually, although I never went as far as the "blue-beat" trilby. The Stapress trousers were most fashionable in a colour called "pewter" at first, then later on the "two-tone" Stapress came right into fashion. As a young teenager, with hormones a flowing, I found out an obvious downside to the two-tone Stapress. They shone a different colour if you got a boner on, making it rather obvious!

Memories. Pewter Sta press, my first pair of those trousers followed by Olive Green. Loved the look used to walk down from Colvins on a Saturday morning, which I think was opposite the Castle Market entrance just down from the old Court House, to Scotts barbers on the Wicker for my haircut. Prince of Wales check followed and then the two tone which as you say didn't disguise how pleased you were to see young ladies although it did work to your advantage from time to time depending on who was looking. :D

Technically, and not to be pedantic, but they were called Sta-Prest and it was a Levi brand name, which means that for a time, Levi Strauss had a monopoly on trousers that were cool to be seen in.

The first pair of Levi’s I owned cost 48/6d, which was over three weeks worth of paper round money at 14/6d a week. My Mum was horrified that jeans could cost so much when you could get a pair of Delamere brand for about 10/6d :)

Wasn't the two-tone clothing known as Trevira?

Technically, and not to be pedantic, but they were called Sta-Prest and it was a Levi brand name, which means that for a time, Levi Strauss had a monopoly on trousers that were cool to be seen in.

The first pair of Levi’s I owned cost 48/6d, which was over three weeks worth of paper round money at 14/6d a week. My Mum was horrified that jeans could cost so much when you could get a pair of Delamere brand for about 10/6d :)
I think my first pair of Levi's cost about the same, but it was the "shrink to fit" that was a bit of a faf. Having to buy a larger size, then soak them in the bath (bleach optional) for a few hours, then dry them and try them on hoping they would fit was always a tense moment.

Names and locations please (to see if they hog any memories).

WTF is that vehicle?!?!

The Norfolk Arms and the Queen Adelaide Hotel. Both were on Bramall Lane on opposite corners, pretty much where St Mary's roundabout is now. The short wall on the right of the second picture is the corner of St Mary's churchyard before it was reduced in size for St Mary's Gate to be built.

Copyright 2017? I know we don't exactly set fashion trends up here, but that's never 2017.;)
As Max Bygraves said, "I'm gonna tell you a story". :) I could bore you to death with copyright law, but suffice to say that 2017 was the date I scanned my negatives. All my photographs were taken between February 1969 and July 1970. Mind you I could have a time machine. :)

Back
Top Bottom